PDA

View Full Version : Patch 820 Breakdown

ShaggySan
01-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Check out our first edition of The Patch Breakdown a new article series that will accompany each patch. Our goal with this series of articles is to give our players in depth look at the most recent patch. This week's Patch Breakdown includes

New Card Spotlight
Shaggy's "It's all about the Benjamins" Deck Tech
Interview with Lead Developer Dan Clark on Balance Changes

http://hextcg.com/patch-820-breakdown/

Shaggy :cool:

McKizz
01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I really appreciate the patch breakdown, especially the new card previews and the interview with Dan. Good stuff!

Dralon
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Great to have a full patch right up like this with commentary from design staff. Thanks!

darygh
01-09-2014, 02:37 PM
I assume Curse of Oblivion has also been changed to a Quick Action?

Kroan
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Awesome article. Loved the interview at the end to get some insight on the changes. Thanks a bunch for the hard work!

Dingleberry
01-09-2014, 04:37 PM
I really like this article series, and I like that you guys are willing to go in and change cards to make them a bit fairer. Having said this, what will your policy be on card changes moving forward into full launch and future sets? I feel like the market place will be incredibly unstable if cards keep getting changed. While doing so is a nod to the fact that mistakes are made and certain uses for cards aren't even obvious before release, it sets a dangerous precedent when large numbers of cards are being altered on a regular basis. Obviously other games simply ban cards, but rendering them unplayable in comparison to their former function isn't much better.

HyenaNipples
01-09-2014, 04:37 PM
That was amazing Shaggy. That was exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in the updates. Special kudos to Dan Clark for answering those questions of yours!

If that kind of thing shows up every week or two, I'll be an ecstatic little camper.

Shaqattaq
01-09-2014, 05:06 PM
I really like this article series, and I like that you guys are willing to go in and change cards to make them a bit fairer. Having said this, what will your policy be on card changes moving forward into full launch and future sets? I feel like the market place will be incredibly unstable if cards keep getting changed. While doing so is a nod to the fact that mistakes are made and certain uses for cards aren't even obvious before release, it sets a dangerous precedent when large numbers of cards are being altered on a regular basis. Obviously other games simply ban cards, but rendering them unplayable in comparison to their former function isn't much better.

Our policy is not to change cards once players own them except in the cases where something is bugged, like if a new dungeon releases and instead of a 9/9 troop reward, the reward is a 99,999/99,999 troop.

Melinikus
01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Anyone else having trouble with the patch sticking at sharedassets1.assets? Mine continuously sticks there. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

GrinningBuddha
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
sharedassets1 is a huge file, it will normally take a long time to process when you patch.

Melinikus
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Ah. thank you for your quick response

Thunderhawk
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
What was thought process behind the Giant Ants Nerf? The card itself was already only average from what I can see and now it'll probably never see play. It now has the exact same stats as Feral Ogre (3/2 with Crush) but costs a whopping 2 more to cast. Even though Feral Ogre requires 2 Wild threshold and is uncommon I don't think that justifies such a big cost difference.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: Feral Ogre isn't even uncommon I discovered :/

HyenaNipples
01-09-2014, 07:57 PM
The public has yet to taste Limited formats. That balance may be becoming from on-going playtesting internally of the imminent drafting tournaments.

BlackRoger
01-10-2014, 02:54 AM
Thanks alot for the in-depth article, was a fun read.
I wonder why the name changes though? Its not like those cards had bad names.
Is this some Lore tweak or are you saving those names for some future cards?

Smud
01-10-2014, 03:02 AM
Thanks for this article, it is great!

I especially loved your deck :) One thing though, seems when I get my The Transcended and am searching my deck for cards, it doesnt count as card draw for the Incantation of Ascendance, so I dont get counters on it.

Mathaw
01-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Hey Shaggy,

This update was great, exactly what I've been hoping for for the last 6 months (got there eventually).

Would it be too much to ask for Crypto to put together some kind of mailing list, so the 95% of Hex backers that don't visit the forums still get updates? As a slacker backer I don't even get the KS updates. If I hadn't come back here since I paid I'd barely even be aware that the game existed yet.

Is there a proper development blog anywhere yet?

Cheers!

Soul-of-Void
01-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Good read and nice patch. But i would like to know if you plan to change Ancestral Specter ? It got so much power in 1 cost card thats strange still didnt get any balancing .

Lawlschool
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Good read and nice patch. But i would like to know if you plan to change Ancestral Specter ? It got so much power in 1 cost card thats strange still didnt get any balancing .

Specter is fine. The trade-off for it being pretty powerful is that you actually need to draw them.

Yoss
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
I love the Patch Breakdown idea. Would it be possible to get every buff/nerf discussed rather than just selected ones?

FlyingMeatchip
01-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Curse of Oblivion is just perfect now. Its like counter spell for Blood.

Gwaer
01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Great job on the article. Loved the interview idea.

jcalton
01-10-2014, 05:03 PM
The final link from
Ascetic Aspirant//Enlightened Seeker//The Transcended (http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/TheTranscended1.png)
doesn't work

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/TheTranscended1.png

syphonhail
01-12-2014, 04:15 PM
He becomes hextcg.