PDA

View Full Version : Casual Game Mode Concept: Underworld Incursion

HyenaNipples
01-09-2014, 07:41 PM
The concept behind this casual mode is to inject a hint of lane-combat CCG into Hex TCG. This mode would effectively clone the play-zone, allowing two separate fields of combat. One zone would represent the surface of Entrath, where the two player's armies and mages clash. The second zone would represent the Underworld, where both sides are also struggling for dominance.

Most play rules are the same across the board, the only real change being that troops are confined to their zones. So for example, troops in the Underworld can only be blocked by opposing troops which are also in the Underworld. Similarly, actions and other abilities can not target across the zones unless the card text specifically states "in all/any zones." So an Extinction played on the Surface World would have no impact on the troops dukeing it out underground. Constants are the only cards which would, by default, have an impact over both zones (not counting resources.) Combat phases over both zones would be simultaneous.

http://hexshuffle.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/underworldincursion.jpg

By necessity, decks would need to be a bit bigger, and the game would need to move faster. I've obviously not playtested this, but off the top of my head, I would think something like 80 card decks would be desired. Additionally, two or three cards would be drawn a turn, and players would be able to play up to 2 resources a turn. Max hand size would also be a bit larger- perhaps 10. The champions would be damaged in traditional fashion, but they would have 30-40 life.

Tactical decision making comes into play as you decide which zone to play your cards. You'll need to balance your offense and defense to ensure that a sudden push on the Surface won't decimate your forces there and leave you open for massive damage. Then again, you might have the same thing brewing underground. Additionally, can you spare the mana for a big direct damage spell? With life totals higher, it might not be worth the loss in table position!

Special cards for this game mode could make their appearances- such as Constants which grant bonuses to Underworld faction troops when they are underground. And depending on the players' desires, you could allow PvE cards or no. In general, Underworld Incursion should be like playing two games at once, with tactical positioning adding a new layer of flavor on the experience.

Handsofevil
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Aside from how hard this would be to actually implement, this is brilliant!!!

SomeoneRandom
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
After having played Solforge, MMDoC, Scrolls and a couple other lane combat "card" games, I personally think the idea of splitting up the battlefield is a horrible idea. It really encourages avoiding interaction rather than adding it. I think Wizards agreed after creating "Shadow" and never revisiting(minus a small nod in Time Spiral) it or anything like it again.

Yoss
01-10-2014, 11:15 AM
MTG also had Raging River.

HyenaNipples
01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I never knew Raging River existed. When I had the idea for Underworld Incursion, I looked all over for casual game rules on MtG because I figured surely someone had already thought of it. I didn't expect to find it in an actual card. I can see how it would be slow and bothersome to play at normal game speed, but I think it would be worth a playtest at an advanced speed with more cards and more resources being played a turn.

facade
01-12-2014, 12:16 PM
I can potentially imagine this as a PvE stage, or possibly the theme of an entire dungeon. An alternative implementation could be to implement something like the phasing rules from MtG, where turns alternate between surface and underworld.

As a casual format, I suppose it would be interesting to try, but I imagine aggro decks would have an advantage over control since things like board sweepers would only ever be able to wipe half an army.