PDA

View Full Version : Hex on Raptr?

RobHaven
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
I did a search for Raptr and didn't find any real talk on it. Svenn referenced his account a couple of times and two users (UDareUTake and Kalius) have their Raptr profiles in their signatures. As best I can tell (I don't use the full interface enough to navigate it well), there are a little over a thousand Raptr users who play Hex.

Raptr offers rewards for playing, and the more you play the more rewards you can pick up for that game. I've played (or at the very least sampled) a number of free to play games that I found through Raptr; if there weren't rewards, though, I wouldn't have given them a shot. It's a nice little incentive.
If Hex offered rewards on Raptr, you would probably drum up decent business. Since the free to play section is all PvE, you could offer some cards unique to Raptr as the reward(s).

Svenn
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
This is not a bad idea... but I wouldn't recommend it until after release. Special sleeves or something as Raptr rewards would be pretty cool and gain some extra attention.

Ju66ernaut
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
wtb Pack Raptr sleeves

Zophie
01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
wtb Pack Raptr sleeves lol I could totally see Raptr doing that too :)

Kroan
01-14-2014, 02:14 AM
Please no. I would feel obligated to sign up for raptr, which is in my opinion a horrible service.

meetthefuture
01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Would be fine if they would just provide some alternate art cards or some other visual content w/o any exclusive cards - so people would be able to ignore it without sacrificing the possibility of aquiring unique cards

Kroan
01-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Would be fine if they would just provide some alternate art cards or some other visual content w/o any exclusive cards - so people would be able to ignore it without sacrificing the possibility of aquiring unique cards

That's not true for a collector. And after all this is also a game about collecting (one of the reasons I like these kinds of games). I hate raptr, but when they would add alternate art cards I would have to sign up for it. A minor nuisance, sure... but my point was that I don't like raptr at all. :P

meetthefuture
01-14-2014, 06:31 AM
That's not true for a collector. And after all this is also a game about collecting (one of the reasons I like these kinds of games). I hate raptr, but when they would add alternate art cards I would have to sign up for it. A minor nuisance, sure... but my point was that I don't like raptr at all. :P
Never ever used it, just checked it out and i don't want to open that website ever again :)

Svenn
01-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Just curious, but what don't you guys like about Raptr? I absolutely love it. I've been using it for years now. I love that it tracks all my owned games, hours, achievements, and everything in one place for all of my gaming across any platform.

And as for the rewards... I think it would be fine as long as there aren't any exclusives. Sleeves or something similar, or maybe even just a free few non-exclusive cards (or a booster pack or something) would be great. It would draw more people in and no one that's already playing would need to feel obligated to sign up for Raptr just to get them.

RobHaven
01-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Raptr doesn't cost anything and takes a couple of minutes to sign up for. There are no spam emails or - as far as I can tell - downsides. You can even turn off the interface altogether and only access it when you want to. I don't get why offering an exclusive card is seen as so exclusionary? No one is being barred from getting it. Am I wrong for thinking it'd be comparable to raid-exclusive cards that non-raiders (by choice) can't get?

Like Svenn, I don't get the Raptr hate. It's not perfectly accurate in measuring your gaming, but unless you're using it as a public display of epeen, the accuracy isn't a big deal. Like I said, I've picked up a few rewards for games I already played, and I picked up incentives to try a few new games. What's not to like?

SomeoneRandom
01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
I read about it for two seconds and it sounds not horrible, even letting you stream straight from the overlay which is pretty sweet. Will try it out when I get home tonight.

Edit: Spent a few more minutes researching it and checking out some reviews... people say it takes a lot of memory and can ruin Win7 64bit installs. Any of you guys able to take a SS of your memory usage while Raptr + a game is running? Also is anyone in Win7 64bit?

Svenn
01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I read about it for two seconds and it sounds not horrible, even letting you stream straight from the overlay which is pretty sweet. Will try it out when I get home tonight.

Edit: Spent a few more minutes researching it and checking out some reviews... people say it takes a lot of memory and can ruin Win7 64bit installs. Any of you guys able to take a SS of your memory usage while Raptr + a game is running? Also is anyone in Win7 64bit?

I have been running Win7 with Raptr for over a year now and had no problems. I have 12GB of RAM though, so I never bother looking at what stuff is using. Most games can only use up to about 2GB of RAM anyway because they are 32-bit.

As for ruining installs... I don't know what that's about. I've had it on not one but at least 2 different Win 7 64-bit machines and haven't had anything like that at all.

Either way, you technically don't even need to run the client, it just tracks certain non-steam games (such as Hex). It'll pick up achievements and games played on consoles and Steam without the client.

Kroan
01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't like signing up for random websites that install software on my pc to track stuff in a game. If you do, go for it, just don't expect everyone else to like it as well.

Svenn
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't like signing up for random websites that install software on my pc to track stuff in a game. If you do, go for it, just don't expect everyone else to like it as well.

It's not really a "random website that installs software on your pc". It's a fairly large and well known service that's been around for years, and has included a lot of tie ins with major publishers. The Raptr client is an optional part and doesn't get installed without you specifically telling it to.

I wasn't saying you had to like it, I was just curious as to reasons why people didn't like it since I really love it.

Lawlschool
01-14-2014, 01:35 PM
I wasn't saying you had to like it, I was just curious as to reasons why people didn't like it since I really love it.

Seconding Kroan, I'm usually not a big fan of installing third-party software that tracks what I do unless I have too. Also don't see much point in having something track what I play, or sharing what and how much I play. Seems like a great service if you're in to that stuff, pretty much just comes down to preference.

Though I wouldn't mind if Hex did some promo tie-ins with these sorts of things. Seems like a great way to advertise, and does add a layer to the collectable element (can always pick things up on the AH if you don't want to jump through hoops to get the promos).

SomeoneRandom
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
The biggest reason I see to use it (from someone who hasn't used it) is the ability to chat across platforms. Steam used to do this really well, but honestly most of my friends play non-steam games most of the time and adding the overlay can be annoying because Steam overwrites games you add often during syncing. I could see if for that social element if other people are using it.

I don't own an xbox because it is just a nerfed computer with an inferior interface IMO. So I lose out on that functionality a bit. Also loving indie games if it has ways to acquire, promote and add functionality to them that is pretty cool.

As long as it leans more towards steam and far away from origin it could potentially be good. Will find out later :)

hacky
01-14-2014, 11:17 PM
This thread is really interesting to me, as both a HEX Grand King backer and a software engineer employed at Raptr. :)

Though I have no hand in Raptr's business development and potential partnerships, I do agree that co-promotion with game publishers and developers is something that we do a lot. I'd leave it to CZE to decide what kinds of promotions they would like to run, and when and with whom... but yeah, there are interesting possibilities, aren't there?

At the very least, I'll make sure Raptr keeps tracking HEX gameplay time. ;)

If powers that be happen to be reading this, or any of you would like to know more, more info at http://blog.raptr.com/about-raptr/

Handsofevil
01-14-2014, 11:32 PM
All of the hate I see is "I don't want to install 3rd party software". Except you don't have to install anything to use Raptr...

As for the Win7 64Bit issue, I have 8GB RAM and have no issues running it.

Svenn
01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
This thread is really interesting to me, as both a HEX Grand King backer and a software engineer employed at Raptr. :)

Hey, cool! I love what you guys have done so far. And thanks for adding Hex to the game tracker so fast, I was worried it wasn't going to make it in. ;)

UDareUTake
01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Quite surprised to see my name being mentioned here, but just a quick note while dropping by, I find that raptr is not really intruding at all, and besides just tracking the overall games you play its good that it kinda reminds you how much time you spend playing games every week lol.

Anyway, I support any form of positive promotional activity that would boost Hex's popularity :)

At the end of the day, its that which matters the most

Zophie
01-16-2014, 12:18 AM
I originally got into it when RIFT did a promo with them and offered some free stuff for using it, and just sorta kept using it ever since. The main thing I like about Raptr is the extra game time tracking for my non-Steam games, and the nifty little signature banner it gives me. It doesn't seem to have any affect on performance whatsoever, though a (very) small handful of games I've tried with it are incompatible, but for those you can manually track your time if you really want to.

I don't really push all my friends to use it or anything, but I think the utility it provides tends to draw in a lot of game collectors and social gamers like myself.

jetah
01-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Simple. have these raptr rewards unbound so they can be sold on the AH or to other players. This allows those that hate Raptr the opportunity to acquire those rewards.

I'll note that Raptr sucks for voice over ip programs (such as teamspeak, mumble, ventrilo). It will display the server you're connected to to the friends list of your raptr followers. Raptr refuses to code an option to stop doing it.

Zophie
01-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Simple. have these raptr rewards unbound so they can be sold on the AH or to other players. This allows those that hate Raptr the opportunity to acquire those rewards.

I think generally Raptr works with whatever game company to give keys for the promo rewards, and I noticed some people tend to acquire them and just give them away to random people if they don't want them. So that gives people another opportunity to get them as well. The promos usually just consist of playing the game while running the Raptr app for a certain amount of time and then you're done.

All that being said, if all they're giving away is just some goofy cosmetic thing like Raptr Sleeves then I don't think they necessarily need to be tradable, but free market is cool too, whatever works :)

jetah
01-20-2014, 07:37 PM
It also gives another venue of advertisement. It would be listed on Raptr and people could get emails about rewards for HEX.

A few cosmetic items as rewards (maybe even free cards, w/e) could bring in some new people!