PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Phone Screens = Hex on Cell Phones with Tablets

Stok3d
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_-uRxIKNs#t=33

mudkip
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the flexible screen have to do with Hex?

Gwaer
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
*shrug* nothing directly, but having a screen the size of an ipad or bigger rolled up in your pocket sounds pretty amazing, especially if you could have that screen wirelessly attach to a phone or something. It's pretty great for all mobile gaming.

Stok3d
01-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the flexible screen have to do with Hex?

Gwaer hit the answer on the head. The biggest issue with playing games on your phone is size. Basically, the next generation of phones are going to have flexible screens which will allow for ppl to carry around a singular device with a viewing area comparable and even surpassing that of the current high-end tablets. Hence, the tablet in all it's glory is about to be truly combined into a cellular device that you carry around in your pocket.

Your cellphone soon *can* and for many WILL become your 1 stop gaming device... especially for Hex. Couple this with the planned shutdown of 3g services and voice moved over to LTE (VoLTE), all the major carriers w/i the next couple years will have all their spectrum freed for 4g LTE using 4x4 MIMO. Why do you care? Well, to make this happen a significant densification of cell sites is taking place (many carriers adding upto 50% more cell towers as we speak) which will equate to better indoor penetration to more users and with the 4x4 MIMO you will get SIGNIFICANT speed increases (theorized 300mb/s down and 75mb/s up with as low as 10ms latency).

Yeah, it's insane and it also means that Crytozoic can focus on coding for tablets and not even worry about viewing area limitations of cellular devices to reach the masses. Win/Win for us all :)

BlackRoger
01-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Coding wise, there will still likely be large differences between phones and tablets, especially if every phone is going to try taking this new technology in a different direction.
Not to mention Cellulars will need more RAM/Disk space to run things like Hex.

Still, the idea is pretty amazing, maybe in a few years it will be feasible.

Hemotherapy
01-20-2014, 08:12 AM
I don't see how having flexible screens has anything to do with having Hex on Phones or Tablets :3

It's freaking awesome tech, but you could have hex on phones and tablets without it :p

Kroan
01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
God, very informative OP. I can see why you're made mod :rolleyes: :D

jetah
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Gwaer hit the answer on the head. The biggest issue with playing games on your phone is size. Basically, the next generation of phones are going to have flexible screens which will allow for ppl to carry around a singular device with a viewing area comparable and even surpassing that of the current high-end tablets. Hence, the tablet in all it's glory is about to be truly combined into a cellular device that you carry around in your pocket.

Your cellphone soon *can* and for many WILL become your 1 stop gaming device... especially for Hex. Couple this with the planned shutdown of 3g services and voice moved over to LTE (VoLTE), all the major carriers w/i the next couple years will have all their spectrum freed for 4g LTE using 4x4 MIMO. Why do you care? Well, to make this happen a significant densification of cell sites is taking place (many carriers adding upto 50% more cell towers as we speak) which will equate to better indoor penetration to more users and with the 4x4 MIMO you will get SIGNIFICANT speed increases (theorized 300mb/s down and 75mb/s up with as low as 10ms latency).

Yeah, it's insane and it also means that Crytozoic can focus on coding for tablets and not even worry about viewing area limitations of cellular devices to reach the masses. Win/Win for us all :)

and most people are capped at 2g/m on cell

Handsofevil
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't see how having flexible screens has anything to do with having Hex on Phones or Tablets :3

It's freaking awesome tech, but you could have hex on phones and tablets without it :p

What it means is that people won't need a smaller cell phone, and a tablet. It'll be one thing. Your cell phone will be large enough, and most likely the power, to run Hex. Tablets are the midway point until cell phones catch up. So making the game for tablets will require the extension to cell phones.

wasichu
01-21-2014, 07:07 AM
I play magic 2014 duel of planeswalkers with no probs on my galaxy s3 and has a similar graphics layout as Hex;) I would love to see Hex come to handheld.)