PDA

View Full Version : MTG Movie(s)!

knightofeffect
01-14-2014, 10:52 AM
EDIT: Updated with better articles
http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/14/fantasy-card-game-magic-the-gathering-headed-to-the-big-screen/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5305880/fox-obtains-rights-magic-the-gathering-movie

I'll admit that I read a few of the lore books when I was first really getting serious about MTG at the dawn of the Invasion block. They were using major sci-fi/fantasy writers and they were pretty well done. IIRC they were averaging more than one book per set so I can't imagine how much material they have.

Its kinda ironic, seeing how nearly all other successful TCGs have originated from some other major media IP, be it videogames or tv shows or both. And now the granddaddy of them all gets its own main-stream media IP; it could be a huge boost to MTG and TCGs in general. Will be really interested to see how this plays out. =)

RobHaven
01-14-2014, 11:09 AM
The Arena (the very first MtG book) remains my all-time favorite book. I used to talk to people all the time about how it could make an amazing movie.

I have about a dozen of the original books that came out. I think I stopped at - if I remember right - the Brothers War. A couple of the books were short story compilations, too. They were pretty awesome. I haven't read any of them in ages except one; I reread the Arena a number of times - including once last year - and it has held up nicely over time.

SomeoneRandom
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
I definitely enjoyed the sweet lore books that used to come with the sealed decks back in Tempest Block. I was sad they discontinued that. I didn't like most of the authors they chose for the MTG books, but that is probably because all the fantasy authors I do like were busy writing in their own worlds. I feel like the Verge picked really bad movies to showcase the potential... "He's the man who brought us Jumper and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, ..." To me that is a really negative thing to point out, but maybe other people really liked those movies?

If they get a really solid script then perhaps it would be good though. However, Simon has only made good movies when scripts have been already written like Future Past/First Class which were adapted from a comic book. The rest of his repertoire includes horrible things like xXx: State of the Union. I hope it is good though!

Gwaer
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Second the arena being an awesome book. It is one of my favorites. So good.

ossuary
01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Agreed. Arena was the best MtG book they ever made. I had a D&D character modeled after Garth One-Eye for quite some time (including the one-eye trait / penalty, of course).

DackFayden
01-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Will probably be about Jace.

--Sorry oldies

RobHaven
01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
--Sorry oldies

Whoa whoa whoa - that's uncalled for!! ...but entirely accurate. :(

Soldack
01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
The Arena (the very first MtG book) remains my all-time favorite book. I used to talk to people all the time about how it could make an amazing movie.

I have about a dozen of the original books that came out. I think I stopped at - if I remember right - the Brothers War. A couple of the books were short story compilations, too. They were pretty awesome. I haven't read any of them in ages except one; I reread the Arena a number of times - including once last year - and it has held up nicely over time.

I too am a big fan of the book "the Arena"

Zophie
01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I'll probably only see this if they cast Felicia Day as Chandra Nalaar :)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/97c554affa393a71105442a41dfd88be/tumblr_mp4gpkwDEu1qzlt9yo2_250.gif

ossuary
01-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Oh, I wouldn't see the movie if THEY paid ME. Just like I have no intention of seeing the 6 years too late World of Warcraft movie, even though I played the game for years. These kinds of things are always terrible. If Square couldn't even manage to make a good movie out of Final Fantasy, what hope does a less experienced and story-focused game company have? You might as well watch Battleship. ;)

RobHaven
01-16-2014, 06:59 AM
http://friendlessandbroke.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/why-do-video-game-movies-suck/
I wrote this two years ago and - coincidentally - it gives a shout out to The Arena. I didn't remember it existed until Ossuary mentioned video game movies sucking.

It's not the best thing I've ever written, but it has some interesting numbers involved. You can pretty much stop reading after the numbers; it's worthless drivel from there on.

Unrelated:
I looked this up on my flash drive and found nine other full pieces I had written but not put out. I let the website fall to the wayside because I didn't like the quality of the product I was putting forth...so I guess I can chalk that up to wasted time. :/

Gwaer
01-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Advent children wasn't that bad.

ossuary
01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Way to sing its praises. ;)

the_artic_one
01-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Advent children wasn't that bad.

The original release was pretty darn bad. The complete one was better but not great.

MajinRaiko
01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Here's to hoping my favorite Planeswalker shows up. GO GIDEON!

I'm guess Chandra will definitely be a character since she's such a big focus all the time. Even the manga focused on her lol.