PDA

View Full Version : Immortal Spear Deck

SojournerWrath
01-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Having come from MTG where the only standard alternate win condition other than mill, damage, and poison, was Door to Nothingness (2 of each land type = win the game) and a card which required that you have more than 40 life... I think there was also one which required you to have under 5 life, but I don't believe it was standard at the time of me playing... Can't remember...

Anyways, The Shards of the Immortal Spear have really piqued my interest as a deck focus, so I've built a deck based around control and draw.

Champion
Wyatt the Sapper

Resource
25x Sapphire

Troops
4x Charge Bot
4x Research Librarian
3x Cerulean Mentalist
3x Turreted Wall

Artifacts
4x Sliver of the Immortal Spear
4x Bottled Vitae

Actions
4x Oracle Song
4x Peek
2x Countermagic
3x Time Ripple

Basic idea for play is to use bottled vitae, research librarian, oracle song, and peek to keep drawing cards. Charge bots are for chump blockers, synergize with research librarian, and synergize with Wyatt. Turreted Wall and Cerulean Mentalist combo for blockers, extra card draw each turn, and possible alternate win condition if I control for long enough.

Any suggestions on how to improve this deck? I'm not against splashing a secondary color, and had thought of using green for some alternate ramp capability... But really I'm just trying to draw through my deck as quickly as possible, and so far blue seems to do that best.

meetthefuture
01-16-2014, 02:42 AM
there's literally nothing that can save you against any deck that can bring some pressure to the table. If you want to try slivers - look for blood control with lots of removal

SojournerWrath
01-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Champion
Zared

Resources
25x Blood

Troops
4x Blood Bearer
4x Shroomshaw
4x Giant Corpse Fly

Actions
4x Necessary Sacrifice
4x Atrophy
4x Murder
3x Extinction

Artifacts
4x Goblin Cooking Pot
4x Sliver of the Immortal Spear

Something closer to this?

Wortesq
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Too slow to play, medium cost of cards is 3, and 11 of them have a cost of 4.

Lawlschool
01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
The problem with throwing 4x of every card in your deck is it vastly increases your chances of drawing things you don't want or need when you don't want or need them. I've also been finding that designing a deck around one specific card often doesn't work, because if you don't get that one card, the rest of your deck falls apart.

You might get better results by dropping the blood bearers, a few of the Necessary Sacs / Atrophy, maybe switched the Pots for Vitae, add in Persecutes and Demented Demolishers. A Blood/Sapphire combo could also work, using Blood for removal and Sapph for draw.

SojournerWrath
01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
My draw deck is definitely designed around the Spears and just the spears, but that blood control deck was more my idea of how to build a good control deck, add in some draw, and focus on my "bomb" being the spears rather than a grave lord or dragon. Admittedly not as strong, but I'm likely gimping myself with this Spear focus anyways...

On a more positive note, but this together with everyone's feedback: Making my curve a little better, focusing on a more diverse array of cards, and decided to swap it to B/S.

Champion
Zared

Resources
11x Blood
9x Saphire
4x Shards

Artifacts
4x Vitae
4x Spear

Troops
3x Shroomshaw
2x Determined Zombie
3x Giant Corpse Flies
2x Demented Demolishers
2x Buccaneer

Actions
3x Persecute
2x Atrophy
2x Necessary Sacrifice
3x Oracle Song
2x Peek
2x Countermagic
2x Extinction

Lots of board wipe, lots of control, and enough chump blockers to see me through with my spot removal.

Better? Worse?

Lawlschool
01-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Definitely looks a lot better. Probably not "perfect," but should be a solid starting point for you to play some games and tweak things around.

SojournerWrath
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
I played one with it before heading out for a bit and it definitely gets up and running much faster, while affording me other options for win conditions, as well as more control methods...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I love how friendly this community is!

astruman
01-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I am working on one that leverages sapphire and diamond - Use the Transcended so once they come out, you get to draw whatever you want. Combine that with Oracle's Song, Wyatt's Ability, and other draw effects, and once you transform to the Transcended, it doesn't take long to get the slivers in play.

Some white cards like blinding light and repel can also help you deal with pressure.

SojournerWrath
01-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I had thought about that as well astruman, but wasn't sure how quickly you could get the Transcended up and running. Best of luck though!

astruman
01-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I have managed to have him up and transformed at the end of turn 5. Took quite a bit of luck, though. And you are vulnerable to removal if you go that route. Still tuning it to see how it handles.

Errantsquire
02-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I like the idea of this deck along with the concepts you have going on here. I feel that it needs some more focus and you're probably running to many shards as well. An alternate win condition like Volcannon could probably go a long way even as a singleton. The new dwarf released in the patch yesterday would be really good in this deck as well. You might also play more artifacts like Sappers Charge along with Research Librarian in order to get guaranteed card draw every turn. You might also consider running Pterobot to help with pesky fliers.

Of coarse you cold also just ditch all of that and go into blood for a lot more removal and permission.

Errantsquire
02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Ok here's what we came up with on last nights show! You could also go into Blood for sweeps but that would be a completely different build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaCwAfyY-U

SojournerWrath
02-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Very cool, it definitely took a different turn from all my iterations I've gone through from the first post and I like the twist!

Also, cool note, valentines day is my birthday so this video ended up being a bit of a bday present as well, thanks a lot!

Errantsquire
02-26-2014, 03:42 AM
Very cool, it definitely took a different turn from all my iterations I've gone through from the first post and I like the twist!

Also, cool note, valentines day is my birthday so this video ended up being a bit of a bday present as well, thanks a lot!

Glad that I could oblige! My birthday is on the 16th and I feel that us Feb birthdays are just a little cooler than other birthdays as it's the hardest month to get into (less days.... jk jk). Anyways I'm always looking for new decks to doctor so keep them coming community!

SojournerWrath
02-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Very cool, happy birthday to you too!