PDA

View Full Version : PVE experience may be on the horizon, but what about classes?

MajinRaiko
01-16-2014, 01:52 PM
So according to Hex's last news update, they seem to be working hard at PVE, and even said that after final review they could get plugged into the client. Question is though, we may get the panoramas and equipment, but what about classes? Do you think they'll have classes available once PVE is up and running or will we have to wait some more?

And what classes are you interested in to see added first?

Gwaer
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
It's very likely that we're not going to see any PVE in alpha

Yoss
01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
It's very likely that we're not going to see any PVE in alpha

I thought I read that they're going to maybe try a single dungeon out for bugs... maybe remembering wrong.

It makes more sense if they DON'T pre-release the PVE though.

Gwaer
01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
The single dungeon was slated for one of the betas last I heard. Since the alpha is going on so much longer than expected it's possible that that single pve dungeon will be pushed into alpha, but I really doubt it. I'd expect a major AI overhaul before we see the PVE stuff.

rjselzler
01-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Are we still expecting beta in Q1 (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=31224)? If so, then I'd put the chances of PvE in alpha around zero.

mudkip
01-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Are we still expecting beta in Q1 (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=31224)? If so, then I'd put the chances of PvE in alpha around zero.

Q1 means end of March, which is 11-12 weeks away. I think that's incredibly optimistic.

RobHaven
01-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Are we still expecting beta in 2014?
fixed

the_artic_one
01-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Q1 means end of March, which is 11-12 weeks away. I think that's incredibly optimistic.

They only have a few cards left to add, sealed is getting in next week so I'd expect draft by the end of next month.

I think beta by the end March is pretty possible.

rjselzler
01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
fixed

Well, that wasn't what I was asking. Like at all. Does anyone really expect beta to start in 2015? Q1 (of 2014, of course...) might be unrealistic, but that's what Cory said a little over a month ago (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/hex-shards-of-fate-now-playing/2300-6416509/). At the pace we're moving, I can't imagine a world in which beta doesn't start for a year.

So, having said that, I'd like to put back out the unaltered question: are we still expecting beta in Q1?

mach
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, that wasn't what I was asking. Like at all. Does anyone really expect beta to start in 2015? Q1 (of 2014, of course...) might be unrealistic, but that's what Cory said a little over a month ago (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/hex-shards-of-fate-now-playing/2300-6416509/). At the pace we're moving, I can't imagine a world in which beta doesn't start for a year.

So, having said that, I'd like to put back out the unaltered question: are we still expecting beta in Q1?

The problem is that no one outside of CZE knows what "start of beta" actually means. We don't know exactly what has to be done before they call it beta. Depending on where they choose to draw the line, Q1 may still be reasonable. Or Q1 2015 may be reasonable.

rjselzler
01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
The problem is that no one outside of CZE knows what "start of beta" actually means. We don't know exactly what has to be done before they call it beta. Depending on where they choose to draw the line, Q1 may still be reasonable. Or Q1 2015 may be reasonable.

Fair enough. If Q1 2015 is really reasonable, I think that there will be quite the dissapointed fan base, but your point is nonetheless valid.

Xenavire
01-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I just want to interject and say that the amount of content that has made it in already, compared to what they need for Beta to roll out... Well, we are getting pretty close to having all the features they promised for Closed Beta, plus a few they hadn't promised. Assuming we get the rest of the cards in the next month or so, and Draft shortly after that, we are not far off the supposed target.

The thing is, people keep equating Beta to having PvE - but we have been told that PvE is not likely to be in Beta until fairly late (Open Beta at least, probably weeks away from a full launch.) I can see the excitement for PvE, and I would gladly have it earlier, but it is meant to be arriving late in the games Beta life - meaning Beta could be around for months before we see so much as a hint at Beta.

What this boils down to, is that we could be weeks away from Beta and not even know it - we can't see what is going on behind closed doors. With sealed slated for next week, draft could be out by this time next month. And once Draft is in, we have most, if not all, of the features that would be needed for closed beta. So while it does pay to be a bit of a pessimist at times, 2015 is an insane assessment and estimation of the current speed and completion.

I would not be surprised if we hit closed beta around March, and full launch well before Christmas (and those are reserved estimates.)

mach
01-17-2014, 05:55 PM
The thing is, people keep equating Beta to having PvE - but we have been told that PvE is not likely to be in Beta until fairly late (Open Beta at least, probably weeks away from a full launch.)

I don't think this is realistic. PvE will take more than a few weeks to properly debug/balance.

There's an additional problem here. By the time we're in late beta monetization will be turned on and we'll be playing for keeps. So what happens if there's some bug in the initial PvE patch and I get 20 copies of what's supposed to be a really rare drop? It's not fair to let me keep it, but I don't think they want to be taking items away from people. That's why it's a good idea to start testing PvE before monetization is turned on.

Yoss
01-17-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't think this is realistic. PvE will take more than a few weeks to properly debug/balance.

There's an additional problem here. By the time we're in late beta monetization will be turned on and we'll be playing for keeps. So what happens if there's some bug in the initial PvE patch and I get 20 copies of what's supposed to be a really rare drop? It's not fair to let me keep it, but I don't think they want to be taking items away from people. That's why it's a good idea to start testing PvE before monetization is turned on.

You're right that there can't be catastrophic bugs like that. But your conclusion is a bit off. They don't need us to test PVE. In order for the PVE race to matter, they can't prerelease content to a select group. The PVE needs to be like any other MMO, CZE needs to get it right with internal testing and make sure it is not full of bugs at release to the public.

Remember, all the bugs we're seeing now are because they let us into alpha. A beta is not supposed to be this full of bugs. Beta is for final tweaking, not for finding massive flaws.

mach
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
You're right that there can't be catastrophic bugs like that. But your conclusion is a bit off. They don't need us to test PVE. In order for the PVE race to matter, they can't prerelease content to a select group. The PVE needs to be like any other MMO, CZE needs to get it right with internal testing and make sure it is not full of bugs at release to the public.

But is that really possible with just internal testing?

Take a look at what Blizzard does with WoW. Despite having probably the most resources for internal testing of any MMO company, they still do public testing of nearly all PvE content before public release.

Also: not all PvE content is part of the PvE race. Generally, MMOs have two types of PvE content: leveling content where you learn how to do things and endgame content. There shouldn't be any issues with public testing of the equivalent of the leveling content, since it's not meant to be part of the race.

Remember, all the bugs we're seeing now are because they let us into alpha. A beta is not supposed to be this full of bugs. Beta is for final tweaking, not for finding massive flaws.

And that's exactly why I hope PvE does make it into the alpha.

rjselzler
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
But is that really possible with just internal testing?

While I am totally in favor of internal-only testing for the PvP side of things ( i.e. design and balancing of sets), I can totally see the PvE content being tested via a PTR-type system. That's one of the beauties of being a hybrid, like Hex.

To directly address the idea of PvE in alpha/beta, I'd think that a starter dungeon (which I recall being the example, for some reason) should be totally sufficient in the "open beta" to stress test and make sure that people aren't getting twenty of every drop.

Xenavire
01-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Mach: We will only be getting a few things to test (one is guaranteed, and we are likely to end up with less than five total raids and dungeons to test before launch.) Look at what we have done so far in alpha: we test tons of cards, tournaments, friend features, etc. Now considering two factors (Beta content is more stable/has gone through a good deal more internal testing, and we will be in open beta with a good deal more people to test with) then weeks could be more than enough testing to A) find any bugs and B) patch them.

And there will be some bugs in the full launch - look at WoW's content patches. Massive raid testing and PvP testing, and most times the first week of a new patch is almost unplayable until a bunch of hotfixes are rolled out. And frankly, if you saw the MoP Beta firsthand in the early days, you would know just how bad that was compared to Hex so far - I have faith that CZE can pull off decent bug testing in PvE.

Lastly, the timing. PvE cards are not the same as PvP cards, and the only cards that matter during this time that could be affected by critical bugs are kickstarter rewards. Why is this? Because PvE cards can easily be banned from the AH during the PvE testing - if there is a bug causing large numbers of rare cards to drop, or some other game breaking bug, it cannot harm the economy because it can be kept completely separate from the economy. With that in mind, they can roll any part of PvE back as much as they want, without anyone feeling 'ripped off' - no sales will have taken place, and getting a rare drop when you are not meant to is an exploit anyway - no reason they should be kept.

As long as they cover their ass with the AH and warn people about the risk of PvE related rollbacks, then they can roll out PvE at any time they want without any risk of pissing people off on the offchance there is a huge bug that slipped through the cracks.