PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Sealed and Prep Phase

Shaqattaq
01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi HEXers. Friday is the best day of the week, as we tell you everything that's happening with your favorite game.

The art department is working on different UI elements, as well as pack opening. Production is keeping things on schedule, and R&D is tuning the Smoldering Dead dungeon. We continue to collect great Set 2 art, and you can see Grzegorz Pedrycz's Crackling Vortex below. The engineers are bug squashing, feature implementing machines—and I say that in the most complimentary way possible.

http://hextcg.com/hex-update-sealed-decks-and-prep-phase/

David_Rose
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
But the apprentices! What about the apprentices?

Nekrabyte
01-17-2014, 03:11 PM
thank the GODS the prep phase is back... this makes me happy! now my question however is this line... "and it allows a clear differentiation for the timing of start of turn effects and events occurring during the main phase."

does this mean that things that happen at the start of a turn are ACTUALLY going to go back to starting at the beginning of your turn rather than during the first main phase? not there is a ton of cards that really has a huge impact on this, but when they changed it to the beginning of the main phase, for instance, you basically lost 1 turn worth of chances to draw ancestral spectres created by the chosen... please tell me it's back to normal :)

mttgamer
01-17-2014, 03:20 PM
does this mean that things that happen at the start of a turn are ACTUALLY going to go back to starting at the beginning of your turn rather than during the first main phase? not there is a ton of cards that really has a huge impact on this, but when they changed it to the beginning of the main phase, for instance, you basically lost 1 turn worth of chances to draw ancestral spectres created by the chosen... please tell me it's back to normal :)

I'm going to ask this in a way that I understand better(and for everyone's sake in my opinon).
Currently you get draw THEN ancestor's chosen proc goes off. Is it going back to where ancestor's chosen happens FIRST THEN draw?

Nekrabyte
01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm going to ask this in a way that I understand better(and for everyone's sake in my opinon).
Currently you get draw THEN ancestor's chosen proc goes off. Is it going back to where ancestor's chosen happens FIRST THEN draw?

yea sorry, i have a habit of convoluting something that could probably be said easier haha :)

GrinningBuddha
01-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I would assume beginning-of-turn effects will now fire during upkeep as they did previously, and will use the stack if they are targeted effects.

AlanComer
01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Yes, you get a chance to draw one of your nice, newly minted specters

mudkip
01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Is Rage going to be removed from the stack this patch?

Edit: Welcome, AlanComer!

Nekrabyte
01-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes, you get a chance to draw one of your nice, newly minted specters

hey first post! welcome onto the forums :)

and thanks for the quick info! this patch is making me doubly happy!

AlanComer
01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
If all the things that have lined up for this patch make it in it will be quite cool. It is a shame that so many of them were just a little off and we couldn't do it this week. We were originally going to try to surprise you with sealed the patch directly after Christmas... Ah those best laid plans.

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I haven't posted before, but things can get crazy as a Software Engineer.

AlanComer
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM
No, Rage is still stuck on the stack. I did take a quick look at it, but didn't see anything obvious. Things that are stopping games are just more pressing, and this push had a bunch of them, which prevented us from patching in the end

Rakshall
01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Very happy with prep phase come back. It might not be the most used priority window but disabling it only by default should be sufficient to speed up the game without removing possibility to play cards if need arises. I hope that we will also see some iterations to triggered/activated abilities changes in further patches. Maybe "instant" keyword/icon only on effects that cause problems - not on all non-targeted abilities, etc - there were few nice ideas on forums.

Scammanator
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I haven't posted before, but things can get crazy as a Software Engineer.

We're very glad to see you on the forums, Alan. Especially considering how busy we know you are. Don't be a stranger.

Revamp
01-17-2014, 05:02 PM
But the apprentices! What about the apprentices?

Any update please? A lot of us are waiting on this.

Shaqattaq
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
With Apprentices, there are a few final pieces that we need to settle, dot the Is and cross the Ts, so to speak before we can invite those selected candidates into the program. We're sorry this is taking a little while longer than we'd like, but once we're able to invite everyone it'll be easy to understand why we're currently waiting.

mudkip
01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
No, Rage is still stuck on the stack. I did take a quick look at it, but didn't see anything obvious. Things that are stopping games are just more pressing, and this push had a bunch of them, which prevented us from patching in the end

Thanks for the answer on this. Good call on tackling bigger issues!

Yoss
01-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Yay prep phase is back! Sealed will be cool too, especially if we can get asynchronous matchmaking so that I don't have to devote 4 hours in a block.

decoy11
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Well its great to have prep phase back. Now about those abilities on stack. . . going to have to put them back eventually or Void Leech Phantasm going to get changed.

Llauorn
01-17-2014, 09:37 PM
When will we see PvE content?

Nekrabyte
01-17-2014, 10:14 PM
When will we see PvE content?

from what i hear we won't see pve till at the very earliest late beta, if not release. (i think at one point they mentioned ONE pve dungeon maybe getting put in the beta)

Werlix
01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Noooo prep phase priority back :(

I have no idea why people wanted this back in but I guess enough people wanted it to convince CZE to put it back in. Pretty sure in all my years of playing WoW TCG I used this priority window like 2 or 3 times ever... not worth having to have another disruption to the flow of the game in my opinion.

Werlix
01-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I am very excited about Sealed play coming though :) This will be fun... and one step closer towards draft play :)

Yoss
01-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Noooo prep phase priority back :(

I have no idea why people wanted this back in but I guess enough people wanted it to convince CZE to put it back in. Pretty sure in all my years of playing WoW TCG I used this priority window like 2 or 3 times ever... not worth having to have another disruption to the flow of the game in my opinion.

Did you notice the part about it being auto-pass by default? I'd bet many of the games you play will auto-pass it.

Zomnivore
01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Its important for some of the interactions they've got in a fair few cards....also sealed soon :D

Qing
01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Pretty sure in all my years of playing WoW TCG I used this priority window like 2 or 3 times ever... not worth having to have another disruption to the flow of the game in my opinion.

Well I only played Hex 2 weeks, and I used prep phase numerous times :)

LockeCole
01-22-2014, 02:18 PM
i wanna Play sealed;). I hope they fix the stuck loading-screen bug some of us expiriencing 2 weeks now.

AlanComer
01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Uhg, bugs that only show up under load are the worst! This is certainly a hot topic for us, very high priority. We have fixed multiple bugs since it shipped. The good news is some sealed tournaments are finishing. We just need to get to where they all finish

Cernz
02-10-2014, 02:04 AM
can someone post some examples how or which cards are usable during prep phase?

im quite new with tcgs and i have not used any card during this phase until now? :(

Kroan
02-10-2014, 05:04 AM

im quite new with tcgs and i have not used any card during this phase until now? :(

Ie you might want to use removal in the prep phase in case they have a card in hand and resources to counter it available in your turn. This makes it so that they have to use the resources in their turn. You want to do this in the prep-phase, so that they can't draw into a counter spell.

Yoss
02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Any card that can exhaust enemy troops might be used during the Prep phase in order to prevent basic-speed abilities, for example, a Research Librarian from being able to activate and draw a card. (Once the Main Phase starts, the opponent gets priority before you, so it is too late.)

You might also need your own Prep phase to, for example, activate an Immortal Spear to create a card in your deck before you draw and prevent you from milling out.

There are other examples as well. They don't come up very often, but when they do it's very important to have the Prep phase available. This is why the default setting is to auto-pass the Prep phase.