PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from sealed mode

mttgamer
01-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Good Monday morning everyone.
This week I read that Sealed mode will be released.
What can I expect from this game mode, I don't know too much about it.
Tips, tricks, strategies?

Kroan
01-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Open 6 booster pool. Build 40 card deck. Stick to two colors (or one). Use BREAD (google it).

hammer
01-20-2014, 08:33 AM
I am excited about being able to calculate the legendary drop rate, assuming sealed pools are set-up as we might expect them to be at release.

Xenavire
01-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Also, dont expect the full card list (I wouldnt be surprised if cards are blacklisted due to bugs, plus the other cards obviously not in alpha.)

So I would imagine non-functional cards like Replicators Gambit and broken, synch bugging cards like Cosmic Transmigrifier will be omitted for the first wave. This is a prediction though, not a promise.

SomeoneRandom
01-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Also, dont expect the full card list (I wouldnt be surprised if cards are blacklisted due to bugs, plus the other cards obviously not in alpha.)

So I would imagine non-functional cards like Replicators Gambit and broken, synch bugging cards like Cosmic Transmigrifier will be omitted for the first wave. This is a prediction though, not a promise.

I doubt they will bother doing something like that despite bugs, probably just throw in everything.

Xenavire
01-20-2014, 08:49 AM
They might. Those non funtional cards will be worse than empty slots in a sealed pool, and it will be entirely possible that you will end up with an unplayable deck through no fault of your own.

Although letting people quit and re-open packs may eliminate the need for that, so it depends on how they have it structured.

mudkip
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
17-18 resources; personally I'm sticking with 18 unless it's a cheap deck (flood > screw with hero powers)

SomeoneRandom
01-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Just a couple things to keep in mind... Sealed is generally the slowest format. In Draft you are picking cards around a common goal and you can generally build an aggressive deck if you want, but in general with Sealed the quality and consistency of decks is fairly low. Sure you will have outliers, but generally it is the format where you want to aim for more late game, card advantage and resources than other formats.

It is a format that generally makes people want to start 2nd as well.

As always stick to the minimum amount of cards in your deck (40).

Because of the slow nature and low power level it is usually viable to splash a 3rd color if there are high quality low threshold cards in an off color. In fact a lot of my undefeated records in sealed include 3-4 color decks (if your pool can support it). For example Murder, Inner Conflict, Burn, Persecute or other big bombs are good candidates to being splashed if your pool is light on threshold and has fixing like Shards of Fate or Adaptable Infusion Device (once we can get those)

Shivdaddy
01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
17-18 resources; personally I'm sticking with 18 unless it's a cheap deck (flood > screw with hero powers)

Dont listen to this guy. 18 land is too much. Stick with 16/17. The bread comment is right. If you get a bomb make sure its in your deck. Do not go into a sealed with a color you want to play set in your head. You want to play your best cards. Stick with 2 colors until you know what your doing. With the threshold system it makes multicolor decks easier than MTG, I would guess most good players will be playing 2 colors + splash. Also make sure you have a nice mana curve, not too many high or too many low costing cards.

SomeoneRandom
01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Dont listen to this guy. 18 land is too much. Stick with 16/17. The bread comment is right. If you get a bomb make sure its in your deck. Do not go into a sealed with a color you want to play set in your head. You want to play your best cards. Stick with 2 colors until you know what your doing. With the threshold system it makes multicolor decks easier than MTG, I would guess most good players will be playing 2 colors + splash. Also make sure you have a nice mana curve, not too many high or too many low costing cards.

Coming from someone who plays in almost every sealed locally including lots of manager drafts and auction drafts I can't think of a time I have played 16 in a sealed deck. Rarely will you have an aggressive enough curve to warrant 16 unless you also have 2-3 mana producers which we have very few of in Hex. Hex is a game where extra resources are a lot less painful than too few, as such I have been consistently above MTG values and will expect to do so in Sealed as well. I already played 18 in probably half of my sealed decks, and would assume that to continue for Hex.

Handsofevil
01-20-2014, 11:07 PM
#ThisIsntMTG though I completely agree with Hex it's better to have too many resources.

FlyingMeatchip
01-21-2014, 04:17 AM
So is this a 40 card deck, counting shards?

Kroan
01-21-2014, 04:49 AM
yes

stiii
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
#ThisIsntMTG though I completely agree with Hex it's better to have too many resources.

People keep saying this, doesn't make it true however.

Agree with people saying 17/18, I'd almost never play 16 in sealed.

Facilier
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Is anyone else really excited that sealed will be our first opportunity to glimpse the experience of opening a HEX booster?

Can't wait. :D

hex_colin
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Is anyone else really excited that sealed will be our first opportunity to glimpse the experience of opening a HEX booster?

Can't wait. :D

The boosters are pre-opened in the Sealed tournaments i.e. when you go from the tournament lobby into deck-building you're presented with the contents of 6 opened packs.

Lawlschool
01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
The boosters are pre-opened in the Sealed tournaments i.e. when you go from the tournament lobby into deck-building you're presented with the contents of 6 opened packs.

Aww, that's kinda sad, but understandable.

Yoss
01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Will be nice to learn the Legendary drop rate and thus update all our old price analysis threads.

hex_colin
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Will be nice to learn the Legendary drop rate and thus update all our old price analysis threads.

My understanding is that the current way they're generating cards for the sealed pools is not the final official way they'll be generated for packs. So... the drop rates may or may not be representative... Probably best to wait for actually opening packs.

Yoss
01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
My understanding is that the current way they're generating cards for the sealed pools is not the final official way they'll be generated for packs. So... the drop rates may or may not be representative... Probably best to wait for actually opening packs.

That seems... odd. Why would packs give different stuff in tourney than normal? Or are you saying they just haven't decided on the final drop rate?

hex_colin
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
That seems... odd. Why would packs give different stuff in tourney than normal? Or are you saying they just haven't decided on the final drop rate?

They won't have different stuff later in Alpha and beyond. For now (to make the functionality available and test the UI elements), it is my understanding that they're generating the contents of the 6 packs for a Sealed pool in a slightly different manner from the final design (which may or may not impact the distribution of rares+ only). Of course, that could have changed/will change at any time. My point remains - I'd be especially wary of using any statistics generated in Alpha as the basis for predicting drop rates, pricing, etc.

Xenavire
01-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Makes perfect sense. Especially if they are omitting cards that are bugged like I said they might.

Kroan
01-21-2014, 04:55 PM

It's still better than nothing.

Yoss
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
They won't have different stuff later in Alpha and beyond. For now (to make the functionality available and test the UI elements), it is my understanding that they're generating the contents of the 6 packs for a Sealed pool in a slightly different manner from the final design (which may or may not impact the distribution of rares+ only). Of course, that could have changed/will change at any time. My point remains - I'd be especially wary of using any statistics generated in Alpha as the basis for predicting drop rates, pricing, etc.

Fair enough. In that case, they're not testing balance of the set because the card distribution will be wrong (and some are bugged anyway). It will just be testing the infrastructure.

Handsofevil
01-21-2014, 07:02 PM
That's the main point of Alpha, stress testing and bug fixing. So this makes sense.