PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Expects the Hex Inquisition!!!

DanTheMeek
01-21-2014, 09:41 PM
So I'm surprised there's no topics posting about this, but for those who may have missed todays stream, a new card was revealed, and no one expected it. I talk of course of Inquisition (no Spaniards involved sadly).

Its a 2 cost, 2 blood threshold basic action that says: Target Opposing Champsion reveals their hand. Choose a non-resource card from it. They discard that card.

So... its literally Distress (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=236908&type=card) from mtg. Its also a common, so pretty easy to get ones hands on in a draft. Like distress this lets you both get information (seeing the opposing players hand) and kill off a key card from it. Definitely a powerful combination for only 2 resources.

What's everyone thoughts? Happy for more set 1 control, or does the inquisition have you feeling distressed?

Gwaer
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm very excited to play it, already made a couple decks just waiting on this to include.

hammer
01-22-2014, 01:44 AM
Will be a staple card of the set 1 format.
This is one of my favourite pieces of card art too.

Lawlschool
01-22-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm sure there will be some QQ over it, but I'm pretty excited for it. Been wanting to make a discard deck for a while now, so this should help out tremendously.

Svenn
01-22-2014, 07:40 AM
I was just thinking (like 1-2 minutes ago) that we didn't have a card to look at your opponent's hand and discard a card from it... and here it is.

Avii
01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
If they will not post about the card... Then put them in... The comfy chair! *cackles madly*

knightofeffect
01-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Yep, certainly seems like a staple piece... It'll fit nicely a couple of places and I really like the double blood threshold. :)

Yubar
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Sounds fun, I want to knee-jerk and say OP, but its just a card for a card so that's fair. True bonus from playing this card is manipulating the future and information

DackFayden
01-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Card is good. Blood/x control well positioned. Always go second.

To be honest will most likely see powerlevel changes like peek did

Zophie
01-22-2014, 12:09 PM
It's the Vennen Inquisition :p

Loregoyle
01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
It's the Vennen Inquisition :p

The problem is that everyone expects the vennen inquisition. :eek:

DanTheMeek
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
The problem is that everyone expects the vennen inquisition. :eek:

Oh snap!

Revoluketion
01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Looks pretty awesome! Blood/x is shaping up nicely it seems! Also I like vennen art work so I'm not mad about that either!

FlyingMeatchip
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Not seeing card in builder. Doing a repair install.

Sereaphim
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Not seeing card in builder. Doing a repair install.

Like every patch you have to restart the game after update to see the new cards.

HyenaNipples
01-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm not thrilled by the ability to look and choose, but I appreciate that it's a straight-up one card for one card exchange.

MajinRaiko
01-25-2014, 09:22 AM
I say it's also like kozliek inquestion from mtg as well (hmm can you guess why?) This kind of shows my point in that CZE has NO FUCKING ORIGINAL IDEAS (at least when it comes to their cards).

As for balance, yeah no. This is just going to be the stepping stone to many MANY other cards like this. And did the blood really need more cards like this? They already have Murder and Extinction and there's been plenty of discussion as to why those are a problem, now here comes this.

I swear, I think CZE only gets its ideas for cards by just copy and pasting MTG cards. It's really noticeable now and I'm sort of getting tired of seeing it. That might be good enough for you guys but I'd like to see some actual quality and innovation.

Mahes
01-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I say it's also like kozliek inquestion from mtg as well (hmm can you guess why?) This kind of shows my point in that CZE has NO FUCKING ORIGINAL IDEAS (at least when it comes to their cards).

As for balance, yeah no. This is just going to be the stepping stone to many MANY other cards like this. And did the blood really need more cards like this? They already have Murder and Extinction and there's been plenty of discussion as to why those are a problem, now here comes this.

I swear, I think CZE only gets its ideas for cards by just copy and pasting MTG cards. It's really noticeable now and I'm sort of getting tired of seeing it. That might be good enough for you guys but I'd like to see some actual quality and innovation.

Given that this game is acknowledged as being pretty much a direct copy of MtG, I am not sure what it is exactly you were expecting. Now I agree that a mono/Blood deck is pretty much a lock for a solid deck at this point, it does not mean it cannot be beat. It is however the "Most" likely deck to win just because it has answers for every situation. Spellshield and invincible can be answered simply by either removing the threat out of their hand or using a certain key/extinction to take it out.

They are not going to show every new idea they can think up in Set 1. That would be stupid. Escalate is a good example of one new idea. Also having cards that insert more cards back into your library is another one. More will come, but they have to save ideas for other sets or they have nothing to get excited about in future sets.

ossuary
01-25-2014, 04:17 PM

I sure love that dragon from Magic the Gathering that gets +X/+X every time you cast a spell for X. Or that goblin that deals damage to your opponent every time they draw a card. Or that plague that converts the creatures in their deck into zombies that fight for you instead. Those were GREAT Magic cards.

Dink. :p

DackFayden
01-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I sure love that dragon from Magic the Gathering that gets +X/+X every time you cast a spell for X. Or that goblin that deals damage to your opponent every time they draw a card. Or that plague that converts the creatures in their deck into zombies that fight for you instead. Those were GREAT Magic cards.

Dink. :p

On the last one, plague you're right. The first 2 were taking from other magic cards, maybe tweaked a bit strong maybe

But that last one is actually taking advantage of the digital space. I personally would love to see more cards like plague. Or just cards that perform a function that would be feasible in real life. If CZE is innovating/creating the genre then trailblazing with mechanics or effects is a great idea

Xenavire
01-26-2014, 09:18 AM
On the last one, plague you're right. The first 2 were taking from other magic cards, maybe tweaked a bit strong maybe

But that last one is actually taking advantage of the digital space. I personally would love to see more cards like plague. Or just cards that perform a function that would be feasible in real life. If CZE is innovating/creating the genre then trailblazing with mechanics or effects is a great idea

Dude, escalation. Inspire. There are plenty of useful and new cards that were never in MTG. But Hex needs to establish some simple, recognisable effects to draw players in, and they need to toe the line in terms of power. Having a few clones that will be short term staples is a great idea.

I bet by the second block we will be seeing a lot more innovation.

Aradon
01-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I definitely agree that MtG has already made some basic staples that need to be tools in Hex as well. Just because the effect's the same doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Having simple card concepts as the core baseline is a good idea. Cute variants are best saved for future expansions. Right now we just need the solid foundation, and MtG's already covered a LOT of that ground already. Personally, I've been pretty happy with the variation that Hex has managed.

ossuary
01-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Also, Magic has been going for around 2 decades. It's going to be pretty hard to make a card that ISN'T similar to something they did at some point, other than cards that do things that are impossible in a physical card. So calling them copycats is pretty ignorant, shortsighted, and disingenuous.

thiememd
02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I would not play Hex but for its similarity to MtG. This experiment on my part is meant as a complete replacement for MtG in my life, primarily because I expect it to be cheaper (they remove the collectability of the cards and material overhead), I trust the Cryptozoic's integrity more than I would trust Wizards(tm) given the Cryptozoic's business is entirely consumer driven whereas Wizard's is only driven by the shops they sell cards to, and the online experience in the net is going to be far greater than MtGO's. This doesn't even take into account the previously stated mechanics that MtG could never hope to include. Hex's similarities to Magic because of all the good things Magic has is something that Cryptozoic should be proud of, because they can do something Wizards can't, and that is shed all the baggage the MtG brings with it.

DackFayden
02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I would not play Hex but for its similarity to MtG. This experiment on my part is meant as a complete replacement for MtG in my life, primarily because I expect it to be cheaper (they remove the collectability of the cards and material overhead), I trust the Cryptozoic's integrity more than I would trust Wizards(tm) given the Cryptozoic's business is entirely consumer driven whereas Wizard's is only driven by the shops they sell cards to, and the online experience in the net is going to be far greater than MtGO's. This doesn't even take into account the previously stated mechanics that MtG could never hope to include. Hex's similarities to Magic because of all the good things Magic has is something that Cryptozoic should be proud of, because they can do something Wizards can't, and that is shed all the baggage the MtG brings with it.

**Material overhead** Oh boy prepare for a lesson. Guard your wallet

This is where MTGO got weird for me. paper magic and MTGO runs similar to a free-market, meaning market prices should reach some sort of equilibrium, their actual value. So watch this...

The 2 MAIN difference between the paper and online magic is:

1) MTGO has a larger pool of people
2) Information on mtgo is not symmetrical - unlike Local Card Game Stores people can act on recent events much fast than IRL

These 2 factors lead to a stange phenomenon: Some online cards WILL ALWAYS cost more than IRL cards
Lets look at a famous culprit http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253534&type=card

And look at its price tracking on MTGGOLDFISH (http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Return+to+Ravnica/Sphinxs+Revelation)

As you can see IRL revelations rarely went above 25$, yet online they were *consistently* above 30$

Why you ask?
Supply and demand The online demand is far higher than the online supply.
Netdeckers Chances are if you know how to use MTGO then you know how to google tournaments. Both sellers and buyers are aware of this. So buyers sell higher and sellers demand more. Allowing the price online to seemingly surpass its physical counterpart which should have a Material Overhead cost.

So what does material overhead really mean?

Well to me it means a base/floor price a product can never dip below. The cost of production. Online production is free(Maybe 3/4 tix for a pack has an influence), but IRL materials and workers add to an objects value.

So don't make any assumptions that CZE's products will be cheaper. Just like other online games (WOW, guild wars, etc) people/supply demand will turn the auction house and item values into a game within a game. Read up on the Diablo issues with Auction Houses for reference

Zomnivore
02-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Inquisition is probably my favorite card name in a while...especially because it can come out of no where and wreck.