PDA

View Full Version : Shards

mysnismatt
01-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Anyone else think "Hex" should have six shards? It is called Hex, has a hexagon as its symbol, and five shards.

Yoss
01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
It does seem odd, but I think it's "hex" as in a spell, not "hex" as in the geometric figure.

FlyingMeatchip
01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
5 colors and artifact: There's your six.

mach
01-24-2014, 01:05 PM
It does seem odd, but I think it's "hex" as in a spell, not "hex" as in the geometric figure.

Take a look at the logo. It's a hexagon.

Turtlewing
01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Take a look at the logo. It's a hexagon.

It's a hex-shard that happens to be a hexagonal cut.

mach
01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
It's a hex-shard that happens to be a hexagonal cut.

Happens to be? I doubt it's a coincidence.

Aradon
01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
I doubt it's a coincidence, but Cory did say that the name was chosen a long time ago when he thought Hex would be a good name for a generic spellslinging card game. The fact that their logo now references a homophone of Hex is just good design.

And now is a good time for me to mention again my pet theory that we'll see a sixth, overpowered shard that the AI uses in the PvE campaign ;)

ErnieK
01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
A mentioned above... artifacts.

rjselzler
01-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I doubt it's a coincidence, but Cory did say that the name was chosen a long time ago when he thought Hex would be a good name for a generic spellslinging card game. The fact that their logo now references a homophone of Hex is just good design.

And now is a good time for me to mention again my pet theory that we'll see a sixth, overpowered shard that the AI uses in the PvE campaign ;)

I remember InQuest (did I just date myself?) "spoiling" a sixth color for MtG. A sixth shard type (space magic?) would actually fit really well with the general premise of Hex. I'm sure that idea isn't new to the PvE creative team, and I hope they get a chance to explore it. :D

rjselzler
01-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Here's a gallery for those of us who weren't reading InQuest 16 years ago: http://magiclibrarities.net/rarities-inquest-the-sixth-color.html

Yoss
01-24-2014, 04:15 PM
This thread should really be in the Lore subforum. (What happened to our mods?)

hex_colin
01-24-2014, 05:22 PM
I remember InQuest (did I just date myself?) "spoiling" a sixth color for MtG. A sixth shard type (space magic?) would actually fit really well with the general premise of Hex. I'm sure that idea isn't new to the PvE creative team, and I hope they get a chance to explore it. :D

Diamond, Ruby, and Sapphire are already "space" magics having come to Entrath (or been awaken by?) on the Comet. Wild and Blood are the only native shards.

rjselzler
01-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Diamond, Ruby, and Sapphire are already "space" magics having come to Entrath (or been awaken by?) on the Comet. Wild and Blood are the only native shards.

Sure, I get that. I presumed that they were activated by the comet, hence the "space" element would some kind of crazy, unworldy thing completely foreign to Entrath like the purple color was supposed to be for Magic.

I'm not saying they have to do this, but they could. It would be easier/make more sense than retconning a natural shard in like jasper or something.

Lawlschool
01-24-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm not saying they have to do this, but they could. It would be easier/make more sense than retconning a natural shard in like jasper or something.

Yellow shard, Techno-Magic of some sort. Failed dwarven machines gain sentience when struck by this new (or hidden) shard. (Somewhat like the Necrotic and hexing gems.) Basically add in a sophisticated AI race to the mix.

BenRGamer
01-24-2014, 10:11 PM
They already have those. As artifacts.

Slaughtergear? Ring any bells?

Xenavire
01-24-2014, 10:15 PM
They need amber, ancient power from dinosaur times. Cory should remeber it well... :P

But it would be some kind of mid point between wild and blood, with ancient powerful effects, but maybe its slower to start up, or is fast and burns out quickly.

Lawlschool
01-24-2014, 10:27 PM
They already have those. As artifacts.

Slaughtergear? Ring any bells?

To a degree. I'm talking about a more advanced and cohesive AI though. Kind of like the Geth, if you're familiar with Mass Effect.

I like the Amber idea too. Balances shards with primal powers.

JakeFreedom
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I thought about this very same thing when I decided to start doing my HEX update on Saturday, since that can be considered the 6th day of the week, some might consider it the 7th if you count Sunday as the 1st day of the week. But I just assumed that 6th color was Artifacts...

ossuary
01-25-2014, 08:43 AM
The story for Hex is supposedly roughed in for the next 7 years' worth of content. I'm reasonably sure that somewhere during that time a 6th shard of magic, the third "natural" source, will be discovered / uncovered, which will be used to help drive back the Necrotic. That's my personal pet theory.

Vengus
01-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Lots of options for a 6th shard since this is a digital TCG. In TCGs like MTG there are only so many playstyles one can create but in a digital TCG it's possible to create whole new playstyles that might warrant their own color. An other interesting option would be to make the 6th shard a PvE only shard that is only used for PvE endgame content. In that case CZE could make the shard exceptionally powerful without causing any balance issues elsewhere.