PDA

View Full Version : It's time to stop making excuses for Hex.

MajinRaiko
02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't know about you, but I for one find it complete and utter insanity that people are not only completely fine with the fact Hex literally copies and pastes things from MTG (sometimes even right down to the name), but that they actually PRAISE them for it!

I don't mind if a game takes some inspiration from another, but it's supposed to be its own game. Just because they added some player abilities with the Champions doesn't excuse how bad they blatantly rip things off. You shouldn't praise a game for ripping off the most popular card game in the world. That's not being clever, that's being lazy. Adding a 'PVE' experience doesn't change that fact either. In fact, where did Hex even actually come out and say that they were aiming to copy MTG? I've heard people make the claim that that's supposed to be the point of HEX but where is it? And why?

What about the fact MTG has dozens upon dozens of mechanics already in place in it? Is Hex just going to copy those too? Is the next year or more just going to be us seeing the same things MTG already has just being re-released in HEX just under a different name?

I wanted HEX to succeed and be this awesome amazing thing, just as much as the rest of you. But the only way it succeeds is just in the fact it makes money. It brings nothing of its own to the table.

Face it folks, this has all been one giant scam that people put their hopes and sunk their money in to only to get left with an uninspired, unoriginal game concept. There is no excuse for this crap.

I'll leave you off with this:

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130519024626/hextcg/images/thumb/9/91/Murder.png/300px-Murder.png

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=259677&type=card

(one of many folks)

Maphalux
02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
The game needs targeted removal cards. What exactly would you suggest to make it more novel? There is no way this game, or any up-and-coming tcg for that matter, is not going to share similarities with the granddaddy game that started the genre. Not to mention that you deliberately ignore the mechanics HEX has that are completely unique to it like escalation and cards like pack raptor.

I think it is time you stop posting. Everything you say is toxic. If you really want the game to succeed, as you say, try being helpful by making some original suggestions to improve the game instead of being so negative.

Lawlschool
02-01-2014, 06:57 PM
The game needs targeted removal cards. What exactly would you suggest to make it more novel? There is no way this game, or any up-and-coming tcg for that matter, is not going to share similarities with the granddaddy game that started the genre. Not to mention that you deliberately ignore the mechanics HEX has that are completely unique to it like escalation and cards like pack raptor.

This.

Not to mention, it's not a "scam." The fact that Hex is highly derivative of MtG is largely the reason lots of us backed in the first place. When I heard of Hex, the first thing I thought was "Holy shit this is like MtG except cheaper, more accessible, and with tons of cool features! I need this!" Let's not forget the whole PvE side too, which seems spectacular and highly innovative to boot.

MajinRaiko
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
The game needs targeted removal cards. What exactly would you suggest to make it more novel? There is no way this game, or any up-and-coming tcg for that matter, is not going to share similarities with the granddaddy game that started the genre.

Hmm, oh I don't know, maybe putting in the effort to at least come up with a DIFFERENT NAME!!!?!! There's a difference between sharing similarities and being copy and pasted. Even with a slight name change their cards and mechanics are just the same things. Other card games can pull off being unique. Even other dTCG's like Solforge or Infinity Wars does it at a low budget. But give HEX millions of dollars and tons of backing and THIS is all they can come up with?

This.

Not to mention, it's not a "scam." The fact that Hex is highly derivative of MtG is largely the reason lots of us backed in the first place. When I heard of Hex, the first thing I thought was "Holy shit this is like MtG except cheaper, more accessible, and with tons of cool features! I need this!" Let's not forget the whole PvE side too, which seems spectacular and highly innovative to boot.

As I just said, slapping 'hey it's mtg but cheaper' is NOT a reason to support a game. Like I said, I don't mind some similarities but the unique things are few and far between. Not to mention the idea of classes and player abilities for use in card games is not that new of an idea either. It's actually been done before.

The PVE is literally the ONLY reason I'm actually invested in HEX at all, and even that interest is dwindling fast (especially when you find out that PVP will not even use our PVE characters except in a specific mode that probably won't even get drafting or sealed).

So yeah, things aren't really in that good of a light for HEX right now.

You don't find it the least bit suspicious that CZE, the sellouts of games that will make a board/card game out of literally ANYTHING, just decided to copy and paste the most popular one to sell to people? Come on, even you have to admit that bodes a pretty bad sign.

NoahBuddy
02-01-2014, 07:56 PM
have you never noticed that this happens with literally every successful product ever? as soon as it is legal to do so some one is going to copy a money making product. this happens in every business/market. i am just glad it is being done by a people that are obviously doing this for a love of the genre as well as money and not just the money.

i would be more concerned if they were copying the lore and characters of another property. no one can own the word "murder". i would like to see more mechanics unique to hex but i don't think it is a big deal that we have the same mechanics has magic.

i respect your opinion but figured i give mine.

Lawlschool
02-01-2014, 07:58 PM
As I just said, slapping 'hey it's mtg but cheaper' is NOT a reason to support a game. Like I said, I don't mind some similarities but the unique things are few and far between. Not to mention the idea of classes and player abilities for use in card games is not that new of an idea either. It's actually been done before.

The PVE is literally the ONLY reason I'm actually invested in HEX at all, and even that interest is dwindling fast (especially when you find out that PVP will not even use our PVE characters except in a specific mode that probably won't even get drafting or sealed).

So yeah, things aren't really in that good of a light for HEX right now.

You don't find it the least bit suspicious that CZE, the sellouts of games that will make a board/card game out of literally ANYTHING, just decided to copy and paste the most popular one to sell to people? Come on, even you have to admit that bodes a pretty bad sign.

Why isn't that a good reason? How is that a bad sign? "We're like X but cheaper" is a pretty damn good reason to support something. I'm glad that they've taken the key concepts from MtG, and improved upon them and added to them. I loved playing MtG when I was a kid, but playing it isn't really feasible for me now. The cards are expensive, MTGO is crap, and no one I know plays it. So yeah, when Hex came along I got excited for it because of it's similarity to MtG. I can now play the type of TCG I really enjoyed growing up for much cheaper and in a way that better suits my schedule.

All the reasons you're saying not to like Hex, or are bad reasons to support Hex, are a lot of the reasons we all supported Hex! And, you yourself just admitted that PvE was a reason you supported Hex! So obviously they're doing something right if they can cater to both people interested in PvE, and people interested in a MtG derivative.

Ju66ernaut
02-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Coca~Cola & Pepsi
Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix
Everquest & World of Warcraft
Kindle & Nook
McDonalds' Big Mac & Burger King's Big King
Mario Kart & Sonic Racing
Quake & Unreal

Have you not lived in the 21st century? Hex is a better, more expansive, more economic game that parallels MTGO. CZE has taken a tired, subpar and under developed concept and improved upon it. Every car is going to have an accelerator and brake pedal, a streering wheel, headlights, and mirrors to allow the driver to see other vehicles that are nearby. Some things are going to be shared, but there will be many more things that make this game unique and exciting.

mach
02-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Not to mention, it's not a "scam." The fact that Hex is highly derivative of MtG is largely the reason lots of us backed in the first place. When I heard of Hex, the first thing I thought was "Holy shit this is like MtG except cheaper, more accessible, and with tons of cool features! I need this!"

You might want to be careful with that kind of statement. If WoTC does end up suing CZE over copyright infringement, that's exactly the claim they will be trying to prove in court.

Let's not forget the whole PvE side too, which seems spectacular and highly innovative to boot.

I wish we knew more what the PvE side will be like, so we could know whether that's true or not. Keep in mind that MtG did do the PvE thing a long time ago (Shandalar).

Lawlschool
02-01-2014, 10:51 PM
You might want to be careful with that kind of statement. If WoTC does end up suing CZE over copyright infringement, that's exactly the claim they will be trying to prove in court.

CZE has been very careful not to infringe on any potential copyright or trademark claims WoTC might have in MtG. And since MtG's patent for the gameplay expired already, CZE's safe on that end too. They know what they're doing.

Banquetto
02-01-2014, 11:35 PM
I think it is time you stop posting. Everything you say is toxic. If you really want the game to succeed, as you say, try being helpful by making some original suggestions to improve the game instead of being so negative.

Agreed. I also think it's time to stop feeding this troll. I made the mistake of doing so almost a month ago.. and a cursory glance then at his post history proved there was no point trying to engage in a discussion. He hasn't improved since.

FoundInTheFlood
02-02-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't know about you, but I for one find it complete and utter insanity that people are not only completely fine with the fact Hex literally copies and pastes things from MTG (sometimes even right down to the name), but that they actually PRAISE them for it!

It is what nearly every backer WANTS! A better version of MTG that still feels a lot like MTG. That's what all the backers paid for. Just deal with it. MTG Online is such a horrible experience, I quit the thing after one day. Everything in HEX looks much more thought-through and executed, even the Alpha looks better than the finished MTG experience.

FoundInTheFlood
02-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Keep in mind that MtG did do the PvE thing a long time ago (Shandalar).

Shandalar was the best thing that ever happened to MTG. I still play it (I found out that some fans patched it with new cards until 2012 ! Wow! I think the game is from 1995?) Since MTG never cared about Shandalar anymore, this is another argument to support Cryptozoic.

Xenavire
02-02-2014, 07:39 AM
There is simply no argument here. CZE are wrll within their rights to make a similar game (plenty of other games have copied parts of MTG.) They took the core gameplay that matters to a lot of people (the stack, instants, troops and combat) and then added their own twists.

They are allowed to do that. And the end result might remind some people of MTG, but look at other games out right now - Hearthstone reminds people of WoWTCG, but different.

The fact of the matter is that Hex is more appealing to some people than MTG. Maybe it ia the similarities, maybe it is the differences, but the point is that MTG is failing somewhere that Hex is succeeding.

A couple of similar cards is completely irrelevant - besides, you have proven yourself ignorant, because murder was recently changed to a different effect, making it very different to MTG's murder.

Hate to burst your bubble, but MTG is dying on it's own slowly due to power creep, and Hex is going to claim those fans as it's own as time goes on.

Malorey
02-02-2014, 09:18 AM
It is what nearly every backer WANTS! A better version of MTG that still feels a lot like MTG.

Exactly this! Why reinvent the wheel? If they imported all the MTG cards into Hex, I'd be perfectly fine with that because it would be the best ever online card game!

Hex is MTG for the 21st century and then some! :)

Xenavire
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Exactly this! Why reinvent the wheel? If they imported all the MTG cards into Hex, I'd be perfectly fine with that because it would be the best ever online card game!

Hex is MTG for the 21st century and then some! :)

No, importing all the cards is baaad. Staples, yes, but we don't want to build on a TCG that is slowly decaying due to power creep.

Showsni
02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
I'll leave you off with this:

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130519024626/hextcg/images/thumb/9/91/Murder.png/300px-Murder.png

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=259677&type=card

(one of many folks)

That's the old version of Murder (Hex) - the current one is actually a more expensive Go for the Throat (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213799).

And what name would you suggest they use? Annihilate? Asphyxiate? Assassinate? Befoul? Chastise? Cleanse? Punishment? Crush? Devastate? Disembowel? Execute? Expunge? Hex? Kill Destroy? Spite? Malice? Mortify? Obliterate? Perish? Phthisis? Purge? Putrefy? Rebuke? Reprisal? Retaliate? Salughter? Slay? Smite? Smother? Swat? Terminate? Terror? Vanquish? Vendetta? Vengeance? Void? Wallop? All Magic cards! And that's just a few of the single word ones. Magic has been going for so long, any simple word that describes an action you'd like to take in the game has generally been taken. You can't just avoid using any of those words because they happen to be already on Magic cards.

DanTheMeek
02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
That's the old version of Murder (Hex) - the current one is actually a more expensive Go for the Throat (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213799).

And what name would you suggest they use? Annihilate? Asphyxiate? Assassinate? Befoul? Chastise? Cleanse? Punishment? Crush? Devastate? Disembowel? Execute? Expunge? Hex? Kill Destroy? Spite? Malice? Mortify? Obliterate? Perish? Phthisis? Purge? Putrefy? Rebuke? Reprisal? Retaliate? Salughter? Slay? Smite? Smother? Swat? Terminate? Terror? Vanquish? Vendetta? Vengeance? Void? Wallop? All Magic cards! And that's just a few of the single word ones. Magic has been going for so long, any simple word that describes an action you'd like to take in the game has generally been taken. You can't just avoid using any of those words because they happen to be already on Magic cards.

Well said Showsni.

Now I've expressed on this forum a number of times my dislike for cards that are straight up copies of MTG cards, I much MUCH prefer they find really small, subtle ways to make them uniquely hex such as what they did with Wild Growth (Giant growth with a small extra effect that would not be possible in MTG) but there does reach a point where you're in "Simpson's Did It" territory. Its amplified with this game compared to others because of just how unabashedly cloned the core mechanics and themes of this game are from MTG, but as Showsni noted, MTG has been around for so long that most card names and most simple card effects have already been taken, at some point you've got to just accept there's going to be some cross over.

I will say, while murder has constantly been changing so who knows where it's going to end up, I'm glad that its currently no longer an exact copy of MTG murder, even if it is indeed just a more expensive Go For the Throat and I would not be opposed to them trying to find something uniquely "hex" to modify or add to the name of the card to avoid confusion.

Stok3d
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Face it folks, this has all been one giant scam that people put their hopes and sunk their money in to only to get left with an uninspired, unoriginal game concept. There is no excuse for this crap.

Troll much? http://www.cryptozoic.com/coc#Spamming or Trolling