PDA

View Full Version : HEX vs Hearthstone

Bells
02-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I feel that in the coming years the real battle for the Online TCG experience will be between Hex and Hearthstone, instead of MTG online... what you guys think?

The gameplay aspect is not really a comparisson issue. on the other hand, people claim heartstone is highly addictive.

The business model is quite different, but there are a lot of parallels too. it is clear that these are two different beasts, but they are going to clash for dominance. And since Hearthstone is already in open beta and showing up on Tournaments and making communities... i wonder if Hex's thunder could be stolen...

Also mind you that, although a minor issue... Hearthstone is avaliable in multiple languages. Which make it more accessible to players gloablly. Making it easier to gather an installed player base.

Jinxies
02-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Hearthstone is the junkfood casual type of online ccgs I kinda see it as the ccg version of Call of Duty. The kind of junk people who don't actually appreciate the genre plays. I don't believe that target audiences for Hex and Hearthstone is the same so there shouldn't really be that big a problem.

Lawlschool
02-02-2014, 07:25 AM
I think they're distinct games that appeal to different audiences, and there's no competition since there's very little reason why you can't play both.

Xenavire
02-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Hex will be multi-lingual. Also, having played HS, it ia not as addictive as Hex is/will be. Once PvE is out, Hex will have a lot of replayability that is not PvP based, and it will have plenty of PvP as well. Plus it will have guilds, which should make it much more social, and even more attractive.

I do think the new TCG players will stick with HS because it is too simple. But Hex will always be there for the highly intelligent and progressive TCG players.

DanTheMeek
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I do think the new TCG players will stick with HS because it is too simple. But Hex will always be there for the highly intelligent and progressive TCG players.

So Hex is going to be the game for people who are too "cool" to play Heart Stone like everyone else, the hipster's OCG if you will? That doesn't bode well in my opinion if thats the case...

Frankly, there's no denying that Hex is a little behind the 8-ball here, Heart Stone's beta beat Hex to the punch, HS has an extremely well established and popular PC based Intellectual Property, the game-play is (supposedly) more beginner and casual friendly, despite still drawing inspiration from other card games like MTG it feels like its own thing rather then MTG with a fresh coat of paint, its resource system (one of the most decisive and unpopular mechanics of MTG since its release oh so many years ago) is more forgiving, and its Arena mode has been highly praised as changing the way we look at OCGs.

Despite all those things, I actually think the biggest hurdle Hex faces is the number of people on forums and chat rooms describing HS as being too "simple" and thus not for smart players like Hex, which in my opinion is frankly just making them, and in the process Hex, look bad. It makes the community sound cocky and full of themselves, and and makes the average joe hesitant to even try the game as its apparently where all the obsessive hyper intellectual card game players are at, just wating to ground them into a smooth paste.

Having said all that, I actually think the biggest chance Hex has to not only not be crushed by HS, but come out on top lies in a few core differences they must both emphasize and execute well:

- Trading: HS's lack of trading I feel was a big mistep on their part. They're not the first OCG to lack trading, but one need not look further then Alteil to see an example of a solid card game hindered badly by a lack of AH or trading. Though its taken them close to a decade to learn the error of their ways, the new re-vamp of the game, Alteil Horizons, has changed their tune and lists the inclusion of an AH as one of its biggest selling points. They lost a ton of players who spent gobs of money and didn't get what they wanted (I would be one of them) and an AH is the simplest, arguably most effective, counter to said issue. As such, I do think Hex really should make sure they both do their AH right (look to GW2 or EVE for examples) and really push it in their advertising for the game as game changing feature, cause it really is.

- Extensive Single Player Content: There was a time companies thought they could get away with out having any single player content for their virtual card games. That time is long gone and now days its rare that an OCG doesn't have at least some amount of single player content, even if its just a brief tutorial. That said, I can't tell you how many OCGs I played through their brief single player content, had a blast, got crushed in a few PvP games, having considerably less fun, then never played the game again. It takes a special kind of person to enjoy losing, and while they exist, they make up a pretty small portion of the gaming community. SPC is your answer to that, by allowing you to create play environments specifically crafted to be fun to the other 95% of players out there. The trick is to give them enough that by the time they do run out, or even just get curious about PvP, they've got a strong enough understanding of the game that even if they do lost, the gap isn't as large, and they understand what went wrong and how to be the victor next time instead of feeling helpless, confused, and overwhelmed. Hex sold me in the kick starter on their single player content, and if they're to win the OCG war they must both deliver on their promises, and continue to push the SPC as one of their stand out features.

- Free Content: This is a bit arguable, because HS does give out free PvP content, and games like Infinity Wars and SoulForge give out gobs of free PvP cards every single day you login and play. Hex, however, will supposedly give none. The PvP content is not even being advertised as free to play, its straight up Pay to Play (and from what we're seeing of rarity ratios its looking like its going to be by far the most expensive of all the new OCGs to play, even with out the free content of the other games included). HOWEVER, where Hex has the upper hand over the other big name OCG competitors is in the separation between their single player content and their PvP content. This allows them to potentially give even more free content (albeit single player only) then any of the other games, and do so through not only cards, but their own brilliant concoction of equipment which as I understand they have so much of that they can afford to give this stuff out at a decent clip and we'll still all be chasing it for months, even years. What this all means is that you feel like every time you play the game you're accomplishing something, you're not just grinding for hours to unlock 1 free pack and that may or may not have anything of value in it, but rather they're able to continue to give out new and meaningful content at a rate balanced for fun, not one meant to frustrate you into just spending instead.

So yeah, thats my rant on the subject. The some what TL:DR of this wall of text is that I feel if Hex is to be successful, they can NOT do as so many of their members seem to want them to do and ignore the casual market who make up the vast majority of potential players, but rather market and focus their efforts on the aspects of their game that makes Hex just as, if not, more so appealing to the casual market. The hard core MTG PvP game play is going to be there for those who want a deeper game then Hearth Stone, no doubt, but my dream Hex is one that also draws in and trains up casual players so that they join the PvP environment and grow the Hex community, rather then conceding them all to HS.

Xenavire
02-02-2014, 10:10 AM
But my point is that casuals will get bored with Hearthstone. Hearthstone has limited appeal past the WoW references and a shallow learning curve. It basically boils down to arena, and I have already seen many casuals leave Hearthstone because it was ultimately boring. And some of those have come to Hex and love it.

Hex barely has to compete, Hearthstone is going to lose fans in droves if they don't make some serious improvements. And Hex will appeal to those players by having A) more content, and B) more depth. Not to mention trading and social features.

As long as Hex eases those less experienced players in with detailed and simple tutorials, players will have no real reason to stick with Hearthstone - and with the distinct possibility of playing both, Hex basically has no competition. Hearthstone isn't going to steal players from Hex, and Hearthstone will attract more people to the TCG genre, creating new potential players for Hex.

The real challenge is the physical MTG. If Hex can compete with them, Hex will stand more or less at the top of the mountain.

Lawlschool
02-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think Dan was taking issue with your point that Hex is a more complex game and that HS could be a feeder for Hex, I think he was taking issue with your phrasing (and I agree). Saying that Hex is "there for the highly intelligent and progressive TCG players" has some not-so-subtle connotations of the gamer superiority complex that pops up now and then. Though it's probably not what you meant, it sounds like you're saying Hex is for smart people, and HS is for dumb people. A better way to phrase your point without potential negative implications is to say that "Hearthstone is a good introduction to TCGs and an excellent casual game, but Hex is there for people looking for a more nuanced and complex TCG." It doesn't make sense to make broad generalizations about someone's intelligence based on their choice of a game.

DanTheMeek
02-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't think Dan was taking issue with your point that Hex is a more complex game and that HS could be a feeder for Hex, I think he was taking issue with your phrasing (and I agree). Saying that Hex is "there for the highly intelligent and progressive TCG players" has some not-so-subtle connotations of the gamer superiority complex that pops up now and then. Though it's probably not what you meant, it sounds like you're saying Hex is for smart people, and HS is for dumb people. A better way to phrase your point without potential negative implications is to say that "Hearthstone is a good introduction to TCGs and an excellent casual game, but Hex is there for people looking for a more nuanced and complex TCG." It doesn't make sense to make broad generalizations about someone's intelligence based on their choice of a game.

This.

I do envy you're confidence though Xenavire, I just have so many old card game playing friends who play other online card games, including but not exclusively hearthstone, and I can't seem to muster any interest in any of them for Hex : - / Its all "I've got enough on my plate to keep me busy in this genre for a long long time, why should I pay 50 bucks for what just looks like an uninspired MTG clone." and I think those points I mentioned are the things Hex really needs to hit home runs on if they're going to sway non-backers to even consider adding Hex to their rotation, let alone making it their main game. Being a cheaper MTGO just isn't proving to be a selling point for anyone I've talked to.

Xenavire
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I probably could gave worded that differently. My intent there was to describe the people that can go from nothing to top tier through natural talent - the borderline genius people that could leapfrog over Hearthstone and into competetive Hex with little to no effort.

I never meant to imply that only intelligent people could play Hex, just that Hearthstone was a jumping off point for those who aren't inherehntly brilliant. I myself was one of the stepping-stone players, and it doesn't shame me to say it, but I have met people who went in with no TCG experience, and within a month were competetive in MTG. Insane skill, natural affinity, all around top tier players.

So I would like to point out that I am not at all elitist about Hex. In fact, I would love for thousands of people to try Hearthstone first and graduate to Hex. Because I think, as fun as Hearthstone can be at first, it is too shallow to be engaging over a long period. Hex can be all that. Still, alpha is the big stepping stone right now, so lets not get too far ahead of ourselves - when Hex is F2P the old hands that won't give it a chance now will relent - not many people refuse 'free'.

BossHoss
02-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I probably could gave worded that differently. My intent there was to describe the people that can go from nothing to top tier through natural talent - the borderline genius people that could leapfrog over Hearthstone and into competetive Hex with little to no effort.

I never meant to imply that only intelligent people could play Hex, just that Hearthstone was a jumping off point for those who aren't inherehntly brilliant. I myself was one of the stepping-stone players, and it doesn't shame me to say it, but I have met people who went in with no TCG experience, and within a month were competetive in MTG. Insane skill, natural affinity, all around top tier players.

So I would like to point out that I am not at all elitist about Hex. In fact, I would love for thousands of people to try Hearthstone first and graduate to Hex. Because I think, as fun as Hearthstone can be at first, it is too shallow to be engaging over a long period. Hex can be all that. Still, alpha is the big stepping stone right now, so lets not get too far ahead of ourselves - when Hex is F2P the old hands that won't give it a chance now will relent - not many people refuse 'free'.

I find it entertaining that your response to "Not implying that Hex is for Intelligent people" is that "Hearthstone is for stupid people"... kind of proves Dan`s point IMHO

Banquetto
02-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Hearthstone is the junkfood casual type of online ccgs I kinda see it as the ccg version of Call of Duty. The kind of junk people who don't actually appreciate the genre plays. I don't believe that target audiences for Hex and Hearthstone is the same so there shouldn't really be that big a problem.

On the other hand, reading posts like this makes me think that at least Hearthstone will have a more pleasant community than Hex.

Seriously, man, listen to yourself.

Jinxies
02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
*shrugs* In my mind Heathstone lack almost everything that make up a good card game. It's not badly made but it lacks pretty much any kind of depth what so ever. The games are not similar and their target audience is not the same. I fail to see why the comparison needs to be made.

arastor
02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
On the other hand, reading posts like this makes me think that at least Hearthstone will have a more pleasant community than Hex.

Seriously, man, listen to yourself.

You don't visit their forums, do you? As one would expect of a Blizzard forum (nothing against Blizzard, but when you get that big...) it is full of the whining, the entitled, the trolls... There are some constructive people, but they feel rather outnumbered. People who are merely slightly condescending are a positive breath of fresh air.

I'm saying this, and I like Hearthstone!

bojanglesz
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM

You say you're not trying to be elite, yet you said the in previous paragraph that Hearthstone is a starting point for people who aren't "inherently brilliant." What?

Mahes
02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Hex will defeat itself at the rate it is taking to squash bugs and introduce content. Not to worried about competition because first there has to be a complete game to compete with. It is February now. Still have so so much left to do for this game that it might not even enter Beta till June. At that point then the PvE content might begin to trickle in. Scary to realize that the Kickstarter was last May. Looking back I am not sure I would have donated if I knew that the rewards would not come out for a full year+.

BenRGamer
02-02-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't see it as direct competition as they cater to a different type of TCG fan.

The best example to liken it to would be Dr. Pepper vs Nipton Iced Tea, rather than something like Pepsi vs Coke

JCourtney
02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Hex will maybe attract people who will just mooch off the game and play free PvE, they will know that PvP is too expensive to get into. Everyone will say it's just like Magic.

Xtopher
02-02-2014, 07:09 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens. WoW is shedding customers at a pretty high rate right now, but I'm sure the franchise benefits in some way from the synergy between the two games. There will be added complexity to the game as time goes by. For example, I'm fully expecting to see more game mechanics, than they have currently, that will enable players to interrupt their opponent's turn -- perhaps to an even greater degree. Blizz will come up with more ways for players to spend money than they currently have and have enticing events. No doubt there will be promotions within Hearthstone to get exclusive WoW items and promotions within WoW to get exclusive Hearthstone items. Really, Blizzard has nothing to worry about where Hex is concerned.

Similarly, I don't see that Hex has much to worry about with regards to HS. I don't expect to see much overlap between the two games in terms of devoted player base; the games appeal to different types of gamers. MTGO has shown that it can make tens of millions of $$'s per year with a fairly small player base and lack of features. I think CZE will exceed that mark within the first three to five years post-beta, barring an inability to deliver on what's been promoted.

So, really, it's sort of a manufactured rivalry people are trying to create between the two games for some reason.

Edit: Svenn said it better in the post below.

Svenn
02-02-2014, 07:13 PM
I hate to say it but, Hex isn't even seriously competing with Hearthstone at this point and it might never. It's not because Hex is a bad game or Hearthstone is a good game (quite the reverse, in my opinion) but it has everything to do with 1) Blizzard being Blizzard and 2) Hearthstone being a casual game.

Blizzard is a big beast of the video games industry that has a huge following and a very large base of fanboys. It's been that way for years and it only got worse with WoW. They can easily push Hearthstone on all their existing users (they are already doing it) and all of the news outlets will automatically pick up on everything that Blizzard does. It is part of what made WoW what it was. Hex just simply doesn't have this built in fanbase, and most people (and news sites) are just completely oblivious to it at this point. People like to stick with what they know, so it's going to take a lot of work to get people to actually notice Hex and care (especially with the abundance of online card games showing up these days).

The other important point is that Hearthstone is a casual game and Hex really isn't. Unfortunately, the number of casual players far exceeds that of the hardcore which means that Hearthstone will have a much easier time getting players. Hex will be too intimidating for a lot of the casual players because it is just a more complex game.

Hex is an amazing game already, and it already has a healthy base. Unfortunately, it is a niche game leaning on the hardcore side from an uknown (in the video games industry) company and that means it's unlikely to achieve the success of a casual game from one of the biggest names in the industry. We need to stop comparing Hex to Hearthstone and start talking about how Hex can be the best game it can be. It can be successful without worrying about Hearthstone, and if by some chance it does become super popular we can all be excited that it happened instead of disappointed that not everyone is playing it.

JCourtney
02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Hex will just have a small base of die hard CCG fans who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars a year to play.

Gwaer
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
CZE has not really been promoting hex outside of the community as of yet. They're a major game company, with a lot of very high quality games, once they go into press release mode in late beta we should see a large uptick in users.

mach
02-02-2014, 07:28 PM
CZE has not really been promoting hex outside of the community as of yet. They're a major game company, with a lot of very high quality games, once they go into press release mode in late beta we should see a large uptick in users.

That might have to wait until release. If the basic plan is to lure people in using free PvE and hope they eventually start paying for PvP, it would be stupid to start the marketing push until the full PvE experience is implemented. As I understand the current plans, than means post-release.

Xtopher
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
That might have to wait until release. If the basic plan is to lure people in using free PvE and hope they eventually start paying for PvP, it would be stupid to start the marketing push until the full PvE experience is implemented. As I understand the current plans, than means post-release.
I don't know and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd be surprised if that's their strategy. It seems to me they're concentrating on developing a hardcore, competitive TCG that will attract players that already have a track record of dumping $100/month into online card games. Players progressing from PVE to PVP is part of their business model, no doubt, but I think it's a small facet of the whole.

Gwaer
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
There will likely be phases of marketing. Once the game is stable and we have KS rewards and are earning packs in tournaments. Do a push for that. Then do a bigger push at release talking up the PVE experience.

tautologico
02-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Both can coexist "peacefully", whichever comes out as the most popular. I think Hearthstone has many advantages over HEX in the race for the top spot. I like both games, and there definitely is an elitist attitude with HEX players that is prone to underestimate Hearthstone both as a game and as a product. I myself have fallen into this trap, initially comparing Hearthstone to Magic and finding it "too simple"; I had come to this opinion quickly and without exploring the game better. Now that I've played a bit more I like it. HEX is more complex and deeper, but that doesn't mean Hearthstone can't be fun and interesting (and even deep) in its own ways.

Also it is important to note that a single-player mode for Hearthstone is planned, and may be released pretty soon. In a recent interview, a guy from the HS team revealed that "adventure mode" may be released during the (ongoing) open beta. There's even the possibility of raids (it was one item on a survey question Blizzard sent to closed beta testers a while ago; the question was something like "what do you want to see in Hearthstone?"). Knowing Blizzard, it will surely be a very polished and well-made experience, and this may attract a lot of new players.

I'm looking forward to playing HEX (in a more polished and finished state) and what Blizzard is planning for Hearthstone. I still think Hearthstone has better chances to "win", but even if it does happen, this does not mean HEX has "failed". I believe a well-done game with HEX's features will probably attract an audience big enough for it to be healthy and successful, if not the "top" digital card game.

Cernz
02-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Good morning,

i am quite new with tcgs or ccgs, i wanted to play tcgs for a long time, but in austria there is no big market for reallife tcgs.

Also i have 2 kids and a lot of work, so my only wish was a good online tcg, therefore i did a kickstarter pledge for HEX.

I also joined the HS beta a few weeks ago, and it makes quite fun, for me as a "noob" the casuality was very fine and i learned some basic tactics and abilities ... but in the long run the gameplay is not that challenging, you allways run into the same decks and you know 100% how the oppenent will play and for each opponent you have the same way to play....

HOWEVER - it makes fun ;) i also joined the HEX alpha some days ago, and the way of playing was different than in HS, no card vs card (except spells). I think in the long run HEX will be more challenging and comprehensive - especially because i like turn based strategy with depth (more different ways of playing - changing strategies, more surprises in the deck etc...)

BUT - i also think HEX needs a lot more polished UI and maybe a good tutorial (for new players - tcg etc..) maybe 1 basic tutorial with std. game mechanics and a advanced tutorial for special tactics (buffs / spells / special abilities etc..), HEX is still in ALPHA so everything is fine until now :) it makes fun and it is after a certain test phase also quite good to understand ;)

i keep on playing HS and HEX (HS for a quick timesink or for a short play against my stupid brother ;D), but i also will keep playing HEX for my personal pleasure in beeing nasty and thinking about some exceptional tactics.

Both games are quite good in what they want to be, HS seemes somewhat more finished (but this game is near to release) so i am in good hope that HEX will be much better if it will be as far as HS is now (release date...).

best regards
the Kackösi ;)

Xenavire
02-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I find it entertaining that your response to "Not implying that Hex is for Intelligent people" is that "Hearthstone is for stupid people"... kind of proves Dan`s point IMHO

Nice cherry picking - in the very next sentence I started to describe those 'brilliant people'. These are the kinds of people that look at a game and know how to win at it within minutes. I never said they wouldn't try Hearthstone, but I ask you, where do those genius level people go? Where the biggest challenge is. They could completely skip Hearthstone if they knew about Hex, just because thats the kind of person they are.

I didn't even bother mentioning the other kinds of people who might 'leapfrog' and skip Hearthstone - people who dislike WoW, people that dislike Blizzard, people who read the Hex lore and like it, and people that just plain like the looks of Hex. Those people don't have to be geniuses to have preferences, and if they happen to be both, good for them. But a good percentage (probably over 80%) will try another TCG first, either because someone says its easier to learn, or because Hex looks intimidating to a complete newbie. That doesnt mean dumb people play Hearthstone, because I am sure there are plenty of smart people playing it right now that have very good reasons not to play Hex right now.

So I wasn't even making a generalisation about Hearthstone, I was simply referring to a very small portion that would naturally jump into the most complex game thet could find. I should have just not mentioned them, as they seem to be a lot rarer than I had assumed (considering the fact no-one seems to know a player like that.)

Vorpal
02-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't think there is any need for either to crush the other - they are very different games that fulfill very different niches. I play both and continue to expect playing both.

Hearthstone is more casual. That's fine. Hex looks like it will have a very compelling/challenging pve experience, which hearthstone does not at all.

The big problem, such as it is, is that Hearthstone is in beta and is just amazingly polished and intuitive. Hopping back and forth from Hearthstone to Hex makes the games in Hex seem to just draaaaaaag along - I don't mind longer slower games, but sometimes Hex games feel like a chore with all the delays and priority passing and what not. But the priority passing is what give it its depth so I'm not sure. As a funny aside, Blizzard has been pretty explicit that they want hearthstone to be all about minions battling for board control and the players interact that way. BUT players have been very adamant about swarming to decks that ignore board control entirely, and win via other means. Since there is no interacting with your opponent during his turn, this means that these decks essentially win via not interacting with their opponent at all - which is not a great play experience. So Blizzard has been nerfing these decks one after the other, but players keep finding more. You can't help but wonder if they've boxed themselves into a corner with their design decision.

So, I don't want Hex to dumb down and try to out-hearthstone hearthstone. That seems like a bad idea. I just think they need to have a really polished, intuitive, easy to use UI / gameflow by the time it is released. Right now it does not compare favorably to Hearthstone's. Hex already has a much deeper and richer card pool than hearthstone, I just hope we can make the games feel less like a slog, which may largely be a subjective thing.

tautologico
02-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Hearthstone is more casual. That's fine. Hex looks like it will have a very compelling/challenging pve experience, which hearthstone does not at all.

I pretty much agree with everything you said and plan to play both games in the future, but as I said PVE mode(s) for Hearthstone are coming. Official word is that the so-called "adventure mode" may land before release.

RobHaven
02-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Hex will defeat itself at the rate it is taking to squash bugs and introduce content. Not to worried about competition because first there has to be a complete game to compete with. It is February now. Still have so so much left to do for this game that it might not even enter Beta till June. At that point then the PvE content might begin to trickle in. Scary to realize that the Kickstarter was last May. Looking back I am not sure I would have donated if I knew that the rewards would not come out for a full year+.
RE: Hex success
This is by far my biggest concern. It's not "first to idea" that wins the dollars, it's "first to market." Hex is already behind, and it seems to be falling behind more with each day. I get that the games aren't all that similar, but there's no denying the amount of overlap. If Hex falls far enough behind, it may not be able to recover. I don't doubt it will be an amazing product - that's a lock - but if no one is playing it then it won't be able to sustain continued production.

Shaqattaq
02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
It's strong to be first to market, but I can think of many digital products that were bested by superior products that came later. Ultimately, games are about serving the players and giving them the features that they want. That's where we in Cryptozoic feel we have an incredible understanding of the players as we are players too. We have people from all walks of life in the gamer community here and we're driven to make a game that is player-centric, player-oriented.

Mahes
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
That is nice. It is good to have a variety of people from various aspects of gaming. Thing is, this game has reached a point where now it needs a good amount of people who know line code and internet. Every patch introduces new content, but what is the point of adding new content if the content is almost always having problems. I know it is alpha, but surely this stuff is "Simply" tested in house before patching it live.

This is why I firmly believe that the patches need to be smaller, then worked out then add in another small amount, as opposed to large patches that just add more code that needs to be worked through from more directions. Large patches are fine if you have the dedicated man power, but I honestly feel you guys are a little short in that area and thus falling farther behind. Work smart, not hard.

In a term that you guys can understand, it feels as though the game bugs are cascading.

Lawlschool
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
... I know it is alpha ...

That's all you need to know. "Sausage factory" and whatnot.

Nekrabyte
02-04-2014, 06:53 AM
as someone who loves TCGs with depth, i found hearthstone to be very boring. i played it for 3 days, and in those 3 days i had maybe a handful of moments where i felt i was actually enjoying it. it just got too old too fast. the ONLY good thing about it in my opinion is the polish and the way it sounds/feels with the UI... but thats what being blizzard gets you.

Ozmon
02-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Hearthstone is way too casual for my tastes. I like the depth and the gameplay hex brings to the table it's the thinking mans tcg.

Kissifer
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm playing hearthstone atm, but after say 5 days its just so boring, no real PvE no guild chat etc.
Hurry up with my Hex invite pretty please with a cherry on top
x

FlyingMeatchip
02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
It didn't even take me five days, really about 5 games to be a little bored of it. You're just trading creatures. When asked by G_Prime my impressions of it, the first thing that came to mind....well...it's cute. That's about it, a quick game more suited for phones and tablets than a full on pc game.

Svenn
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
It didn't even take me five days, really about 5 games to be a little bored of it. You're just trading creatures. When asked by G_Prime my impressions of it, the first thing that came to mind....well...it's cute. That's about it, a quick game more suited for phones and tablets than a full on pc game.
That was my thought. Not being able to choose who to block with and troops not healing means anything you put out is gone in 2 turns. On top of that it was incredibly easy imo. I played a few hours (against both AI and other players) and I think I lost maybe once.

Kubira
02-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I have played the WoW TCG casually with friends a few times but I don't much of have a TCG background (I played Magic once when a friend gave me a training session at PAX). I am largely an MMO player and have been playing WoW without interruption for about 8 years. I say that to say this: I was obsessed with Hearthstone when it started Beta. I got into closed Beta fairly early, spent about $70 on it and climbed to masters level twice on Druid and Shaman. I stopped playing after reaching masters on the Shaman. It just felt like a pointless, constant grind.

Another WoW friend introduced me to Hex. I attended Cory's presentations at DragonCon and pledged slacker backer after the first one. Then, I got my slacker backer invite to Hex and that was the end of the debate. I logged into Hearthstone the other day after months away. Couldn't even bring myself to fire up a game. Just couldn't care in the slightest.

Hex offers a depth that Hearthstone can't touch. I love Blizzard but the two games aren't even close for me.

fido_one
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I like HS, but even from when I first started it I don't have nearly the same urge to collect cards as I have with other TCGs. Probably due to some of the points on this thread that they are all characters that seem to be a bit disposable after they are conjured in play.

Personally, I want to see HS succeed as much as Hex - I believe like others here that it will ultimately help the Hex player base... Still, I find it hard to imagine picking up HS more than a couple of times a year (or ever buying boosters) now that I've played it.

DrSpike
02-08-2014, 07:37 AM
My thoughts on the HS/Hex questions having played the alpha/open beta.

1) Potentially missing the point to focus just on the complexity comparisons. Sure Hex/MTG has a more complex ruleset than Hearthstone and always will, but my hypothesis would be that the win rate boost for the best players compared to average isn't that different. There are choices in both games that need to be made under uncertainty, that require a good knowledge of the meta to be successful.

2) Also missing the point to focus on the competition angle - I think HS will be great for Hex, as it will draw people into the genre. It will be less good for MTGO as new players will baulk at the online experience after the buttery goodness of Hearthstone. It really is amazing how satisfying Hearthstone is to play because of all of the little touches.

3) The F2P model/no trading means that for many Hearthstone will be a bit more like a RPG where you 'level' your decks. At the moment it seems to me there are two strategies - invest heavily and get a top tier deck, or just play with what you have and let Blizzard's matchmaking do the rest, with your decks slowly improving as you get more cards. I am opting for the latter at the moment and I suspect many will do this on release. It makes for a different experience than MTGO/Hex and reinforces 2).