PDA

View Full Version : What do you value in a card?

Ju66ernaut
02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
We've discussed the auction house and it's many possible search and sorting functions extensively these last few months. I'm curious to hear what card aspects interest you the most.

Do you plan to use the AH to fill in the missing spots in your Top Eight deck from last week's tournament so you can give it a whirl? Are you interested in owning the exact copy of a card that dealt final damage to win a major tourney? Would you like to collect extended art cards or foils? Maybe play the auction house buying basic commodity cards or crafting materials low, forecasting that their value will rise as the set/block progresses/rotates?

What drives your interest the most?

Vengus
02-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Just gonna buy any cards I need for my main deck and that's it mostly. Buying cards that might go up in value might work but there will be plenty of other players doing the same.

Kroan
02-05-2014, 03:51 AM
I am the person that wants to get a full playset of any card and a copy (or more) of any promo. I think the idea of a card having "history" is neat, but it wouldn't be something I'd be looking for on the AH to get a specific "version" of a card.

Jinxies
02-05-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm a sucker for alternate art and promos so I'll most likely try to get a playset of each one ^.^

FlyingMeatchip
02-05-2014, 06:55 AM
I'm digging the full card art currently on the cards! Highlight card and click arrow pointing up on left side of card.

Malakili
02-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Don't really care about a card's history. If those are in high demand I'll happily trade away my highly played card for a "fresh" copy of that same card + some extra value.

RobHaven
02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I will be looking to fill any holes in my collection (4 of every card). I want to max my cards myself, so it'll be all "vanilla"/untouched cards for me.

Yoss
02-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm looking to fill out playsets of everything, and sell off the excess. I have no interest in someone else's double-back stats, so I will not pay extra for them. (I love the double-back idea and I'm sure I'll watch them grow from my own labors, though.)

Rieper
02-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I am aiming for full playsets. And if i unlock extended art or foil, and if they have higher worth like that, i will most likely trade em new one of same card + extra.
Same if i win a big tournament and that means price increase on cards(Doubt this happens! :P). I will keep 1 of em and trade rest for same card + extra.

DackFayden
02-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Net decking + Promos

Kami
02-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Personally, I value lore in a card - there are tons of card games out there but many don't have a cohesive background to any of it other than for mechanics or for aesthetics. "Why does this card exist?" "Why can it do this?"

And in the grand scheme of things: "What crazy things can I do with it?" :P

I mean, at the end of the day, a collection enables you to play but I feel that it should also allow you to feel like you're part of their world. :) (Yay... metaphors!)

Yoss
02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Personally, I value lore in a card - there are tons of card games out there but many don't have a cohesive background to any of it other than for mechanics or for aesthetics. "Why does this card exist?" "Why can it do this?"

I mean, at the end of the day, a collection enables you to play but I feel that it should also allow you to feel like you're part of their world. :) (Yay... metaphors!)

Actually, I'd forgotten about that (since PVE seems so far away from where we are in Alpha). I also love the idea that the lore behind the cards will/could matter for how you interact with the story line. (They gave the Mayor example back during KS, where if you kept the mind-controlled mayor -- that's trying to kill you! -- alive it gave different results than if you killed him.)

(A bit off topic for a thread that is asking what you'll buy on AH...)

Zomnivore
02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
If we're talking about literal value monetarily its random. Whatever the present meta has found to be strong with enough compelling options for diverse styles of play becomes very valuable. Barring different forms of market manipulation. If its a fun card even more so. Its hard to tell when strategies will break, so honestly...I value what rises to the top, in the moment.

What I value in a card in and of itself for the artistic and fun-game parts of a card...novelty, usually in that a card works well with the concept it was created with, and feels compelling to use partially because it has a novel aspect to it, compared to a standard meta of play. Its not bad to play, but within a meta it isn't seen as good. Therefore using the card feels strategically rewarding and validating even if I play poorly. Playing with it at all is enough to make me feel better, compared to the perception of others who use more standard cards.

Its a clever bit of neurology ego/vanity that makes novelty a desirable asset in a card. If a card can push those buttons, and do it well it will become a personal favorite. If it has any form of cool factor all the better.

Aradon
02-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I want to level up my own cards, and hopefully track my own accomplishments with them. Trophies like, "Defeated X raid boss" would be neat (but would get boring quickly - world firsts would be best).

If I find a particularly beloved card, getting versions that won major tournaments would be desirable.

I also love alternate arts. I do like the shinies, but in most cases, I don't want cards that are all "Trophied by X top players" unless it's a special card. For example, trophied-out extinction doesn't excite me, but a trophied Replicator's Gambit would.

Umaro
02-05-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm just here for the beer and the bunnies.

Also, foils.

Turtlewing
02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm mostly a player so I want the cad that does what the deck I'm building needs.

Otherwise preferences regarding alternate art, extended art, and foil are usually made aesthetically (prefer the cooler looking one over the less cool looking one, and prefer playlets (or ideally the entire deck) to match).

I don't personally expect I'll put much value in the trophy system. However I'm kind of hoping that the trophy system will surprise me.

jimmywolf
02-06-2014, 03:51 PM

agree love lore but am also big on art why i went collector tier love having nice art too stare art

Zomnivore
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
agree love lore but am also big on art why i went collector tier love having nice art too stare art

Art rates pretty highly to me as well...also a collector.

but for playing a game, and 'feel' its all about mechanics and how they play into a concept. How all that relates to the meta, and that special snowflake feeling of finding something quirky.