PDA

View Full Version : Patch 822 Breakdown

ShaggySan
02-06-2014, 11:35 AM
This week we cover patch 822, go over the new cards and talk a little about the optimization.

Check out the article here! (http://hextcg.com/patch-v822-breakdown/)

Shaggy :cool:

Resand
02-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Man, that was some interesting cards. The Triumvirate is insane. But throwing a Inner Conflict on it will be even better :cool:

Showsni
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Someone is a Zelda fan. ;)

Though, it would be pretty cool if Lord Alexander's art was flipped, to make him left handed. Just saying.

Aradon
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Gearsmith is going to be op in PvE with Ebonrocke, but I'm glad he's made it in in-tact. He's pretty much the linchpin of my planned raid deck.

The Distress Beacon card is unusual, considering how difficult it is to flip outside an aggro deck, and blue's not known for its aggression. On top of that, you have to tap three creatures down (not attack) to transform it. I feel like it'll die to removal too frequently to be playable.

DanTheMeek
02-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Doppelgadget - Its kind of like Clone, Unstable Shapeshifter, or Renegade Doppleganger, but exclusively for artifacts and it doesn't have to be a troop. Seems like it might be fun with say, the Inspiration Engine, certainly worth trying out in some dwarf artifact decks.

Eldon's Distress Signal - Seems like a bit too much work for not enough gain, reminiscent of Hop'Hiro. That said his effects are strong... so I don't know, maybe I'm under valuing him. I think I'd like him more if every time you exhausted a troop it put a counter on him and every time you did damage it put a counter on him for his first and second for respectively and you just needed to get to 3 counters, which is to say, you didn't have to do it all at once in the same turn but could build up over time.

Lord Adam, the Powerful - Now there's an effect that actually feels worth the effort it... as long as your not facing some one with a lot of targeted removal anyway. But 4 for 4/4 and stead fast and at only 1 diamond is playble even if you have no attention of getting The Triumvirate out which is the real difference from Eldon's Signal which doesn't even come close to being worth the cost investment until its final form.

Gearsmith - Dwarf artifact deck staple. Decent cost to stat ratio and amazing effect. Heck, seeing the top 3 cards of your deck even if you're not running artifacts isn't that bad for that cost and stats, getting +1 card advantage and making that card easier to play, I suspect it's always going to be a fight to find a reason not to include this in any deck running artifacts.

Anyway, nice update overall, especially if sealed deck tournaments can actually be played to completion (even just some of the time would be better then never).

Chocmaw
02-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Great update! And nicely broken down Shaggy :)

Love the fixes and general changes to UI/Stability - worth the 2 week wait.

Keep up the good work guys!

Cheers

PS - I'm glad somebody updated the welcome window. Was getting tired of seeing the coin-flip blurb.

Vorpal
02-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Wow. I like all these cards.

Gearsmith is a good solid dependable card for dwarf artifact decks. I think it will really make them tick.

I absolutely love the theme behind the three Eldon cards. A great example of the kind of things you can do in a digital environment. I'm not sure he's strong enough (seems much weaker than the sapphire version) but that's just details.

I also really like the Triumvirate. It seems very weak to removal/inner conflict, however. I was surprised to see it didn't have any kind of spell shield or anything, as essentially, any removal aimed at triumvirate is a 3 for 1. You combine your 3 lords into triumvirate, opponent plays a murder or inner conflict, you lose the game.

But it seems that triumvirate has speed, and thus would be able to attack as soon as it is summoned. And as soon as it attacks it draws 3 cards. As long as that happens even if it does get subsequently hit by some removal, the owning player can at least break even. As long as all those effects happen the turn it's played, it seems like it could be a worthwhile investment, even if immediately targeted by removal (and if it's not, much like any other huge dude, you probably win the game)

Rycajo
02-07-2014, 11:59 AM
An important point about the Triumvirate is the cost to transform/merge. It doesn't cost any additional resources or cards. Thus, the player can wait until appropriate answers are in hand before making the dangerous transformation - and two of the three required colors have some good answers to anything that removes such a powerhouse.

Most definitely a card for combo players to enjoy.

However, in the digital environment, I would love to eventually see a mechanic to allow the three individual troops to substitute individual attacks for the one Triumvirate attack Force (but not one troop - think of Force as a separate card type), or for a triple-block scenario playing out as a Triumvirate block, instead of required a transformation to a single target-able troop. Sort of like an ultra-banding mechanic.

I see it like this - the controlling player chooses to attack with all three. The game displays a prompt asking whether a combined attack is desired. Check yes/no. If yes, the three cards point toward a single new card - an attacking "Force" card that displays the power and attributes of the combined force. The defending player then has priority before declaring blockers (as is the case atm), and may try to can target the force with a force specific action or prevent one of the troops from being part of the combined attack (removal, some other disruption), in which case the remaining attacking troops would attack as individual troops. If the defender can't prevent the attacking force from combining, the player can block that force as if it was a single attack troop.

The same could be done with defending - if the controlling player lines up a triple block, the game allows the troops to be combined into a single blocking force (but not a single troop for targeted spells and abilities).

I understand part of the weakness of the combo is removal, but I don't see why CZE would always want to build in that type of weakness. A combined forces mechanic would allow for a greater variety in design.

Perhaps CZE already has a plan for such a mechanic, but felt a transforming mechanic is a better starting point for Set 1. And that could be true. But I hope we can work our way into some new and awesome digital options.