PDA

View Full Version : Community voting?

Danielius
02-11-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm a slacker backer straight out of the oven, and have previously been active in the forums of another digital card game, where anybody could create a poll to quickly survey the opinions of their fellow members. (And if a poll had a transparency option enabled, everybody could see who has voted what.) The system worked well, was also used by the official staff and didn't suffer from noticeable abuse.

Based on good previous experiences about them, I thought about writing a longer thread here in the Hex forum, basically asking "would it be a good idea for Hex to take advantage of a similar system in some kind of capacity", but after reading some old threads that I could find about the subject, I got the impression that polling has been extensively "tried" at some point, but hasn't been actively used since, except for a poll related to t-shirts and promotional cards.

So I'd like to inquire what exactly happened with the subject and has any permanent decisions been made about endorsing/not endorsing them in the future?

RobHaven
02-11-2014, 08:16 AM
In general, "polling" around here ends in disastrous 30 page threads full of unswayed opinions, lots of shouting, and copious amounts of buzzer licking.

Xenavire
02-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Plus a lot of backers never go near the forums. So it would be heavily biased.

I wonder if a poll could be intergrated into the launcher or home screen as an announcement?

Stok3d
02-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I wonder if the new website pending will have this feature?

Thrawn
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Plus a lot of backers never go near the forums. So it would be heavily biased.

I wonder if a poll could be intergrated into the launcher or home screen as an announcement?

Yes, any polling would have to be somehow put in the game client or would just be a vocal minority making choices. I would say of the 30 or so backers I know of, 95% of them have stated that they would never waste time on the official forums again after looking through them.

RobHaven
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
I would say of the 30 or so backers I know of, 95% of them have stated that they would never waste time on the official forums again after looking through them.
Fuzzy math aside, this makes me feel terrible about myself.

Danielius
02-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Indeed, a voting system integrated into the game client sounds like an idea that could have a lot of potential. It might "give voice" to the huge portion of players who normally aren't active in the forums.

I'll just throw some ideas into the air here (and fall where they may):

-Official, in-game polls could have some kind of incentive(s) for players to answer them (like a tiny amount of in-game currency, comparable to the small login bonuses a lot of games give away nowadays), and at the same time have a deterrent to reduce "picking a random poll choice just to get the reward"-behavior (like "after you enter the polling screen, you'll have to wait 60 seconds staring at that screen before you're able to cast your vote").

-Cryptozoic (CZE) could choose the topics and choices for these polls "as they best see fit". Also, the practical implications of the poll results (or the lack thereof) should be clearly stated by CZE beforehand, and any promises made should be followed through. For example, each poll choice could be accompanied with a statement in the vein of "if this choice wins, then CZE will do the following: [enter a compromise here]". It's likely that players are more motivated to vote when they know their efforts end up making a practical difference.

-In situations where poll choices are mutually exclusive, voters might end up very evenly divided (for example, 51% vs 49%, like in real-life presidential elections). In anticipation of these kind of situations, CZE could have "compromise plans" figured out beforehand, and they could be informed to the voters before the polling begins. (For example, "If none of the choices get a majority of [enter percentage here], then CZE will do the following: [enter promise here].")

-Care should be taken so that when players vote but their choice doesn't win, it doesn't end up being too "negative experience" for them.

-There should probably be some measures against "negative" voting practices like players bribing others (via in-game trading) to vote for a specific choice.

-In-game polls could have a link to their respective forum thread.

-Unofficial polls that players can initiate could also have a place in the whole system. For example, guilds could have "internal polls" about how to handle internal matters. Open, public polls can help draw the attention of the official folks to issues that are important for (potentially) a lot of players.

-Perhaps polls could also be attached to in-game elements like Dungeons ("how enjoyable did you find completing this dungeon", "how difficult the boss fight was") etc.