PDA

View Full Version : Last week's CZE visit info

funktion
02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Alright so I'll start right off and say that there probably won't be a whole lot of substance to the post, but people took their time to submit questions to myself and Gwaer so it's only fair that I take the time to put in the responses. A majority of my responses came from the design team, so many of the questions which were more development / community team oriented were outside their sphere of knowledge.

**Also sorry if any answers are overly vague... but y'know...

-Fish Hands has already been designed and the art completed (did not see the art though). I asked if they still had their tails while also being attached to your arms. Unfortunately they don't get to keep their tails so you will not be able to swim any faster. Ben imagines them being the same species of fish rather than two different ones.

-Much of what you see in alpha is in place just for testing purposes. Everything still needs quite a bit of polish both aesthetically and functionally. A good example is the deckbuilding UI, if their goal is to test the functionality of cards and test constructed play then there needs to be deckbuilding within the client but that aspect (deckbuilding interface) is not really the current focus of their efforts hence the unpolished state. **I hope I worded this well enough to make sense**

-On the flipside, as essential pieces begin to fall into place they are making polishing passes to make sure the game is nice and shiny. I only got to see / talk with the art team briefly (they all looked pretty busy and didn't wanna mess with their creative mojo) but they stuff they were working on really looked amazing. These guys are incredibly talented. It seems like CZE puts a lot of trust in the artists to bring their vision and touch to the game without giving them too many narrow restrictions on how card art should be. There are a couple things in particular that I thought were really awesome, and I don't think they are anything that is the team is keeping hush hush but I don't wanna spoil anything just in case.

-I got to see and chat about the pack opening interface a bit. I'd love for them to unveil this in a kickstarter update sometime soon. What would be really sweet is if there was just a flash game or something that let you open packs just so you could see what it was gonna be like. There's still some work to be done on this but what they have so far is pretty ingenous. It seems like there are going to be different screens for opening one pack or opening multiple packs.

-Set 2 will be *insert adjective that is a synonym of awesome* I didn't get to see all that many cards, but I did get to hear a lot of the ideas and themes behind set 2.

-Many of the issues players are facing in alpha are server load related. I think this is definitely worth stressing. Sure they could easily start using something other than a toaster oven to host the game, but by throttling the game so much they're going to be able to work out many more of the kinks. (The way I see it, MTGO had a pretty catastrophic crash during a major tournament a few months back, and has been plagued with server issues for quite some time. CZE should do everything they can to prevent this type of stuff and that is what alpha is for) Alpha is really helping them tighten up what the game is capable of.

-I really wanted to ask about what we can expect from the new website, but I've gotta apologize... I genuinely forgot to ask.

-Gwaer, Mantic, and myself all got to take turns playing Junkyard Dogs which is a pve dungeon. CZE has already talked about this one a little bit during the kickstarter campaign. We were all pretty tired I think and this was the last thing we did so it took a little while to finish but we played it all the way through. I got trounced a couple times pretty early on but then came back strong towards the end of the dungeon. I made it to the final encounter which went a lot longer than either of us expected but man it was intense. I really liked how immersive the dungeon was and can't wait to actually play it in the client itself (we were playing it with mocked-up cards). There are a lot of twists and turns but it doesn't feel like you're no longer playing a card game at all.

-There were definitely moments where I would say something like, "You know it would be pretty great if players could do..." and two of the guys, without saying anything, would give eachother looks of "This guy has no idea what we have in store."

-I asked about crafting, but I didn't ask Cory or Kyle about it and I think one of them woulda been the ones to talk to.

-In general questions that start with the words, "When will..." are not really questions that have answers. Also most of these woulda been questions for the dev team and I didn't really have as much time to talk with Chris or Dan as I did with everyone else.

I'm winding down so lemme go back and look at the questions on the original post to jog my memory.
Xenavire wanted to know about set sizes: set one isn't really "arbitrarily" large just because it is the first set or anything like that. They plan to vary up the set sizes throughout different blocks to keep things interesting so there aren't any real hard and fast rules about what we can expect.

Voices wanted to know about Hex merch. In time there will undoubtedly be more Hex merch made available. Sorry for the non-answer but yeah...

A few folks were concerned about marketing. Right now would just be a waste of resources to do a huge marketing surge. When the time comes they are gonna go all out though.

Well I think that just about wraps everything up, I've got another scrap of paper somewhere that might have a few more questions answered on it. If I find it I will be sure to reply and add them in.

Thanks to everyone who submitted questions. Finally, huge thanks to: Ben, Drew, Kyle and especially Cory who all took a lot of time out of their days to hang out with us, answer questions, and just in general make us feel welcome. It was a privledge to be able to make it down there and visit your offices.

Xenavire
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Wow, nice info. Very nicely put. I am frankly surprised (and quite pleasantly at that) about the set sizes - the fact that they are planning to be flexible means we could have a mega set of 500 cards 3 years down the track, with 200 card supplements for the rest of the block, or all sets of about the same size... Definitely interesting!

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to ask these questions, and you just pumped me up as much as any of the better weekly updates! Can't wait for all the goodness to come together, especially the flashy stuff like packs.

Gwaer
02-11-2014, 02:00 PM
That covers everything that I can think of. Great job funktion! =)

mudkip
02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Nice write-up.

Yoss
02-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks lots!

Stok3d
02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
/jealous you guys already tried out the PVE. Thank you for taking the time to update!
BTW: Have I missed out on any interviews etc there may be posted anywhere that you took while onsite?

funktion
02-11-2014, 03:07 PM
No, none of us did any recording as far as I know this time around.

bojanglesz
02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Sweet. Sounds like we have a looooooong way to go before beta, but I know it'll be worth it if I'm still alive when it comes out.

Ju66ernaut
02-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Great write up Funktion. Thank you!