PDA

View Full Version : All The Shards - Sunburst

apocdragon
02-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I know Sunburst is hard to pull off competitively. However, I have always wanted to find a way to play it competitively since I started playing MTG. I see that Crypto has made some cards that not only help with Sunburst, but they also make it fun inside Hex. I am just loving their take on Sunburst. Here is the current deck idea that I have for a Sunburst deck:

Champion:
Nin the Shadow

Troops:
Midnight Shepard x4
Lixil, the Deathless Gem x4
Wrathwood Colossus x2
Fist of Briggadon x2
Eternal Guardian x2
Jadiim x1
Rampaging Tarasque x1
High Tomb Lord x1

Actions:
Chronic Madness x3
Stonskin x3
Oracle Song x2

Artifacts:
Adaptable Infusion Device x4
Secret Library x2

Constants:
Soul Marble x1

Shards:
Blood Shard x8
Diamond Shard x8
Sapphire Shard x4
Shards of Fate x4
Ruby Shard x2
Wild Shard x2

Notes:
The goal of this deck is not to Mill the Opponent's Deck but to Mill Own Deck and then use Midnight Shepard to bring bombs into play from Own Graveyard. After looking at this myself, I should probably drop at most 2 Lixil, since I have 8 other cards that add Threshold of any color and the fact that it is a Unique card. Other Noteworthy cards that could be considered in this deck are Stargazer, Infernal Professor, Crazed Rummaging, and any Bomb that any Shard has.

I would like to know what you guys think about this deck and if there is any improvements you guys see that could make this deck more competitive that I cannot.

Thanks for your time reading and hopefully posting some suggestions on making this deck better.

wasichu
02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Interesting but once you play a Shepherd it becomes a target number one and only one soul marble for protection. The only shepherd deck that ive seen that used it effectively had soul armaments up and then put out shepherds.

Lawlschool
02-14-2014, 07:10 PM
It's a really cool idea, but you're 100% committed to Shepherd. If you can't get Shepherd up and running, you're kinda SoL and you don't really have any way of stalling until you get Shepherd out. Plus, if you're milling yourself you risk milling cards you actually need. It's a super Johnny deck that will probably work every so often, but it's going to be far far too inconsistent to be competitive.

I wish I had some suggestions to go with the criticism, but sadly I'm at a loss on how to make a Shepherd deck too. Something I've been halfassedly messing around with is an Artifact deck that uses Shepherd. Idea being if most of your cards are colorless, it doesn't matter what shards you draw. So far it's not that great, but I might mess around with it some more now!

Axle
02-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Think you should focus less on playing many big doods and more on getting your 5 colors active and surviving the early game. The big doods can be less since your goal is to have them reoccur.

Suggestions for each color (Outside of blood and Sapphire, all are 1 threshold).

Blood:
Take advantage of its removal for keeping you in the game (Extinction comes to mind, maybe Murder too)
Since we're a 5 color deck, might as well play Xentoth's Inquisitor with the Prime Ruby gem for early game strength. Not necessary but it's just that strong and will slow down your opponent's creature based strategies.

Sapphire
Oracle's Song for card acceleration
Mastery of Time to allow you to play a Shepard and activate it's effect before your opponent can use basic speed removal on it
Arcane Shield can give your Shepards hexproof

Wild
Oakhenge Ceremony is a great way to get your combo pieces

Diamond
Stone Skin is a cheaper and more consistent version to Arcane Shield

Ruby
Not much to help you here except fueling Xentoth's gem. Heat Wave maybe?

I would suggest Sapphire and Blood as your primary colors in that case.

Malakili
02-15-2014, 02:17 AM
A small thing, but my feeling is that Wrathwood Colossus is the worst bomb for this deck because it goes to your hand it dies.

apocdragon
02-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I have been messing with this since I posted and I have changed the bombs to less restrictive to work with the Blood/Diamond feel I was going so if the deck did last long enough it could play them from the hand if needed. Blood/Sapphire will probably work better if I have control. I was thinking of it but haven't really tried it though. I see one problem with Stone Skin in the deck though. While it is just a 1 cost Diamond Quick Action, it only works with Action spells. Troops that target like Buccaneer by-pass this and make the card worthless and have been relying on Soul Armaments Spellshield for protection.

I will post back after I have tried this with some control. In the mean time, can anyone think of any card beyond Secret Library that would be a synergistic discard card that would work with this type of deck that would help me place any bombs in the Graveyard that find its way into my hand that would be easier to get to the field with Shepard while he is in play?

Lawlschool
02-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Stargazer would probably be decent in the deck, since you could pillage or get some health. There's Shrewd Manipulation (that'd also let you use Shep twice a turn). Crazed Rummaging might work, since it discards from the opponent too.

apocdragon
02-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I tried a Sapphire/Blood Hybrid and it works well, but I think a more Sapphire leaning deck Hybrid with Blood works better. It still is not competitive in my opinion, but it is on its way depending on what kind of support this type of deck gets in the future. As for what this type of deck should be called, I think this type of deck should be called Shardburst. Here is what I have currently for the deck:

The Shepard of Shardburst:

Champion:
Nin the Shadow

Troops:
Midnight Shepard x3
Lixil, the Deathless Gem x2
Stargazer x2
High Tomb Lord x2
Eternal Guardian x2
Eldritch Dreamer (Prime Sapphire of the Mind) x2
The Kraken x1

Artifacts:
Adaptable Infusion Device x4
Secret Library x2

Constants:
Soul Marble x1

Actions:
Peek x3
Oakhenge Ceremony x2
Murder x2
Countermagic x2
Arcane Shield x2
Oracle Song x1
Mastery of Time x1

Shards:
Sapphire Shard x10
Blood Shard x4
Diamond Shard x4
Shards of Fate x4
Wild Shard x3
Ruby Shard x1

It has gone away from milling the own deck to a more get out Shepard, Eternal Guardian, and one of the Bombs (High Tomb Lord or Kraken). This deck has card drawing, and with Peek and Oakhenge, it seems to work more constant than the previous builds. It is still a little clunky and does not work unless you have at least 2 Sapphire and 1 Blood. If anyone has any further tweaks that were not listed before that could be helpful, then please post it.

Mr.Funsocks
02-22-2014, 12:01 AM
The idea appealed to me so I gave it a go:

Champion
Kranok

Troops
4x Midnight Shepherd
4x Lixil, the Deathless Gem
2x Stargazer

Artifacts
4x Adaptable Infusion Device

Constants
4x Soul Marble

Actions
4x Murder
4x Turbulence
4x Oakhenge Ceremony
2x Stoneskin

Shards
4x Shards of Fate
8x Blood Shard
7x Diamond Shard
2x Ruby Shard
2x Sapphire Shard

Haven't played too many matches vs players, but testing against the AI, I'm easily able to get the combo off most of the time. I don't rely on my own troops with Shepherd, instead relying on whatever I can kill of the opponents', and surviving long enough to get it going. Once a soul armaments or an invincible lixil is out, I'm good usually.

Countermagic is a pretty nasty weakness.