PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about an ingame notepad?

iliux
02-15-2014, 04:42 PM
A notepad functionality within the game, so you would be able to track some important information about the game, i.e. the cards your opponent has in his hand.
Since HEX will be playable on tables, I thought maybe there is a touch functionality to be able to write with your finger or a pen for the tablet; But since tablets are not that big, drag and drop a card to the notepad so that its name is written down on it would be better. You would still be able to type on it if you are playing on the pc
You would be able to toggle the notepad on and off and configure the opacity and size of it.
Maybe it would save the notepad for the last few matches or something if you would need the data for something, statistics or anything.

So what do you guys think about this idea? Yes please or no-go? :)

Xenavire
02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Hmm, making physical notes is against the spirit of fair play. For tablets, it sounds messy, and for a PC, you could just alt+tab and use notepad.

I am going to say no. I don't think it is worthwhile enough to promote this sort of behaviour. I have no problem remembering what my opponent has, and if I forget somehow, then I should have been paying more attention.

LeMazing
02-15-2014, 09:27 PM
2.11 Taking Notes
Players are allowed to take written notes during a match and may refer to those notes while that match is in
progress. At the beginning of a match, each player’s note sheet must be empty and must remain visible throughout
the match. Players do not have to explain or reveal notes to other players. Judges may ask to see a player’s notes
and/or request that the player explain his or her notes.
Players may not refer to other notes, including notes from previous matches, during games.

Well there's how Magic handles it.

Personally I have no problem with it. It offers a minor advantage, but it can be used by both sides and is enabled by the player's deck composition (e.g. cards that reveal the hand or deck) so it's not unfair in any way in my eyes.

As for adding the feature to the game, I think it'd be nifty to have, but would be best suited for a post-release addition.

Xenavire
02-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Well there's how Magic handles it.

Personally I have no problem with it. It offers a minor advantage, but it can be used by both sides and is enabled by the player's deck composition (e.g. cards that reveal the hand or deck) so it's not unfair in any way in my eyes.

As for adding the feature to the game, I think it'd be nifty to have, but would be best suited for a post-release addition.

Magic isn't the only TCG around, and while I don't think its cheating in any shape or form, it does seem a little dishonest. And it won't kill people to take their own notes (and it would be impossible to regulate) so enabling that behaviour in-client would not really be to any benefit.

If games were held face to face, only using PC's instead of cards, then I could see this being a neat and useful feature. But online, people will abuse it, ignore it, or find ways to get around rulings by using it.

I mean its a fine idea, but I just don't like where it leads in a digital environment.

Rendakor
02-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Seems like a waste of resources; just use Notepad or something. If you're playing on your tablet, take notes on your phone.

Danielius
02-16-2014, 12:19 AM
I very much like the idea, yes please! :)

PineappleOranges
02-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Seems like a waste of resources; just use Notepad or something. If you're playing on your tablet, take notes on your phone.

I agree. Alternatively, you could use pencil and paper. Write down card names and review them later. You might even learn them better than just seeing a card in a digital notepad.

PineappleOranges
02-16-2014, 01:01 AM
I don't feel it is cheating, either. In fact, I see it as more of a crutch than anything.

Malakili
02-16-2014, 03:58 AM
Notes seem entirely fine to me from a fairness perspective, but I don't see the need to include in-game functionality for it.

Jinxies
02-16-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm used to card games where note taking is a DQ worthy offence so I'm kinda automatically opposed to it. While it's inposaible to stop note taking in a digital game I really don't think it should be encouraged.

FlyingMeatchip
02-16-2014, 06:56 AM
My set of pens and notepad at my new desk work just the same.