PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Hex TCG App for iOS

Kroan
02-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Current version on iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hex-tcg-card-database/id824312242?mt=8

Hex TCG Card Database is the unofficial card database for Cryptozoic's Hex: Shards of Fate - the Digital Trading Card Game (dTCG). Find all the cards in an easy and quick way on your iOS Device!

Features:
- All cards and art from the hex client
- Card list with search
- Deck editor
- Built-in auto update for card data

Notice that the last one is an option, which you can disable if you want to make sure to not use data while using the app.

http://i.imgur.com/Fd25E0rl.png (http://imgur.com/Fd25E0r)

http://i.imgur.com/824VIIsl.png (http://imgur.com/824VIIs)

Currently working on
- Advanced filter options

Xenavire
02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Hey man, congrats! I can't test it personally, but I know some people who can and will see if they can give some feedback. Doesn't look half bad in those screens though, nicely done.

Kroan
02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks man. All feedback is of course more than welcome! :)

bojanglesz
02-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Looks awesome, can't wait to download it when it releases.

Chaxtreme
02-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Nice one Kroan (and Colin) looking forward to it! I know I developed the Android app but I'm actually an iPhone user (have an Android tablet), so I'm looking forward to this!

Kroan
02-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks Chatxtreme. Again, if you have any feedback once it's released, i'm open for it!

Small update from my side. I was unable to use my current email address for the Developer Account, since it has been previously linked to another organization. So I had to make a new account and awaiting now approval of the development account. As soon as that's happened (within 24h) I should be able to submit the first version to the AppStore and than it takes 3-5 days before it is approved :)

knightofeffect
02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
You guys are the epitomy of awesome community members. I will be looking forward to trying it out. Did you happen to make a native iPad version? I think it has a real chance to shine in that format (as one day the game itself will) =).

Again, awesome news from awesome people!

Kroan
02-17-2014, 03:41 PM
An iPad version has crossed my mind, but for now you'll have to do with a (2x) version of the iPhone. The "problem" with an iPad version is that at some point it will be less useful b/c of Hex's own tablet version.

Kroan
02-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Allright after a lot of calling back and forth with Apple, my developer account was finally activated and I just finished uploading the first version. Expect it to hit somwhere at the end of the week. I'll start working on the first update right away, which includes filtering and deck building.

I also made a final quick change to the search, which now searches not only by name, but also by type, subtype and gametext. So for example you can search for any card actually saying "human" :)

RECHiD
02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Good to hear! I was getting jelly of the Android users, and all this fanfare about their app. I'll check it out as soon as it's publicly available.

GPrime
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
The "problem" with an iPad version is that at some point it will be less useful b/c of Hex's own tablet version.

Ah, but Hex will require an internet connection. Those with Wi-Fi only won't be able to access the game without a hotspot but they'll still be able to use your app!

Kroan
02-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Just a quick update from my site. I'm still waiting for Apple to start reviewing the app. Apparently they're pretty busy, usually it takes about 3-5 days, but according to some sites the average is now 6 days. So hopefully the first version will be online today or tommorow.

Meanwhile I'm already working hard at the next release. I've got the new borders in the app and started on the deck editor, which I hope you guys will like. :)

Ah, but Hex will require an internet connection. Those with Wi-Fi only won't be able to access the game without a hotspot but they'll still be able to use your app!
Sure, that's why i said less useful instead of completly useless haha. There is still a case to be made for an iPad version, but the question is whether it's worth the "trouble".

Ravallian
02-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Kroan.....I love you!

Chocmaw
02-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Good job Kroan!

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Be warned, I'll be flooding you with feedback ;)

Cheers

Kroan
02-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Haha, as I said. All feedback is welcome.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the app is now officially in review. The bad news is
"We are currently reviewing an app that you submitted for inclusion on the App Store, and want to let you know that the review process will require additional time. We apologize for the delay and will provide you with an update on the status of your app as soon as possible."

I am not sure how long this will be, but it might have to do with the fact that content in the app (images of cards) are used within the fair use policy.

Makizushi
02-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Like the others said, many thanks for your hard work :) I appreciate it :)

Kroan
02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Yay. The app has been approved and is now processing for the App Store. You should be able to download this within a few hours, depending on where you live.

The following app has been approved and the app status has changed to Ready for Sale:

App Name: Hex TCG Card Database

Please make sure you leave feedback and questions in this topic. Thanks a bunch!

Kroan
02-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry for the doublepost, but I'm a bit excited. The download link is
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hex-tcg-card-database/id824312242?mt=8

It should be available in the US Store for most people. Other stores will be syncing within the next hour or so :)

SirGregory
02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Just downloaded it, looks great, great job.

One small change I would like, I miss being able to flip through cards in my hand, it would be nice if I swiped left/right it would move to the next card. But as I said great job, I thought about doing something like this but had no idea where to start.

Gwaer
02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Just downloaded it, so far so good.

Kroan
02-27-2014, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys.

One small change I would like, I miss being able to flip through cards in my hand, it would be nice if I swiped left/right it would move to the next card. But as I said great job, I thought about doing something like this but had no idea where to start. Right now the left and right swipe are used to open drawers on both side (in the current version only one site, but in the next version you can open a drawer to see your current deck). I guess opening the drawers on the cardview might not be as important as flicking through cards? Hmmm.... I can see how it could be useful to flick through cards though, so I'll def. see what I can do :)

Edit: I actually got the swiping of cards in the cardview working, so you now can flip through the cardlist while in detailview. :)

Aeromis
02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your excellent work!
Just downloaded and installed your app from the Austrian app store.

the_artic_one
02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Did you have to require iOS 7? I'm an app dev so my ipod touch is kept on ios 6 for testing reasons.

That said it seems to work fine on my ipad2.

Kroan
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Did you have to require iOS 7? I'm an app dev so my ipod touch is kept on ios 6 for testing reasons.

That said it seems to work fine on my ipad2.

The only device that runs on iOS6 and can't upgrade to iOS7 is the 3GS. I might support iOS6 in a future update, but for now it's easier to not worry about iOS6 :)

the_artic_one
02-27-2014, 01:42 PM
True but 6 still has a rather large marketshare due to people who don't update things/people who don't like 7. I asked because the app seems simple enough that you probably aren't using any code that wouldn't run on 6.

Kroan
02-27-2014, 02:17 PM
True but 6 still has a rather large marketshare due to people who don't update things/people who don't like 7. I asked because the app seems simple enough that you probably aren't using any code that wouldn't run on 6.

I'm using a few things from iOS7, among other the UIKit Dynamics introduced in iOS7 :) . The marketshare is not really that big of iOS6. According to the latest numbers it's 15% and iOS7 is on 82%.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely will try to see what I can do to support iOS6 in the future.

hex_colin
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Kroan - the app looks great! Thank you for putting in the time to help the community.

Chocmaw
02-28-2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks Kroan.
Now I'll never be able to take a break from Hex :p

Awesome work man. I like the fact you can scroll through card text to read it. And the images are pretty slick. Can't wait for the filtering/deck-building tools.

Cheers

Kroan
02-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Kroan - the app looks great! Thank you for putting in the time to help the community.
Thank you for making it possible man! :)

@Chocmaw: Thanks mate. I'll try to work extra hard this weekend on the app! Hopefully I can release an update somewhere next week with all the new features and changes :)

Kroan
02-28-2014, 06:07 PM
I found a bug which basically prevents people from updating the card data to the latest version. I fixed it in the new version, but for now you'll have to do with the old wording of zombie plague unfortunately (even if you force the update) :(

Edswor
03-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Thank you for the app. Very useful even when I'm at the computer watching some streams to be able to quickly look for cards.

Kroan
03-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I just uploaded a new version to the appstore. The new version will add decks and the first version of the deck editor (no gems or champions as of yet though), new frames and the ability to swipe through cards while in the card view. Also some minor bugfixes (including the inability to not update your card data)

The approval of the new version should take about 5-7 days, so keep your eyes open at the end of the next week. :)

http://i.imgur.com/Fd25E0rl.png (http://imgur.com/Fd25E0r)

http://i.imgur.com/824VIIsl.png (http://imgur.com/824VIIs)

DuroNL
03-04-2014, 06:39 AM
I just uploaded a new version to the appstore. The new version will add decks and the first version of the deck editor (no gems or champions as of yet though), new frames and the ability to swipe through cards while in the card view. Also some minor bugfixes (including the inability to not update your card data)

The approval of the new version should take about 5-7 days, so keep your eyes open at the end of the next week. :)

Great app, and by reading through this topic its going to get even better after the next update :)
can't wait for the deck building option in the next update :)

Good Work!! keep it up!

Kroan
03-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Overnight (well, during the day, depending where you live) Apple approved the new version and it is now ready for download. If you have automatic updates enabled on your phone you should receive it when you're on a wifi network. Otherwise just go to the AppStore Updates and download it there :)

The change notes are:

+ New card borders
+ Decks and Deck Editor
+ Swipe through cards in the card view
- Bugfix: Updating card data now works properly.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, you can find it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hex-tcg-card-database/id824312242?mt=8 .
You can also find it by searching for hex tcg on the app store. Note that if you're searching on the iPad you make sure to include "iPhone Apps" in your search results (you can change the filter in the top of the search screen on the App Store)

All feedback is welcome as always!

hex_colin
03-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Overnight (well, during the day, depending where you live) Apple approved the new version and it is now ready for download. If you have automatic updates enabled on your phone you should receive it when you're on a wifi network. Otherwise just go to the AppStore Updates and download it there :)

The change notes are:

If you haven't downloaded it yet, you can find it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hex-tcg-card-database/id824312242?mt=8 .
You can also find it by searching for hex tcg on the app store. Note that if you're searching on the iPad you make sure to include "iPhone Apps" in your search results (you can change the filter in the top of the search screen on the App Store)

All feedback is welcome as always!

Just downloaded it! Very nice. Thanks, Kroan!

Dralon
03-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Have it as well. Many thanks!

Kroan
03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
While we wait for CZE finishing the patch on the server, I've updated the carddata on my server for the app. If you open your app, it should download automatically the update (if enabled). You can also update the data manually through the setting option of the app.

Xenavire
03-13-2014, 12:01 PM
While we wait for CZE finishing the patch on the server, I've updated the carddata on my server for the app. If you open your app, it should download automatically the update (if enabled). You can also update the data manually through the setting option of the app.

Way to stay on the ball. Wish I knew what was up with the android app - things were going so well, then silence.

Kroan
03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
I just updated the card data with the latest patch info on the server, so you can either manually download it or let the app download it automatically when you start it up.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I just updated the card data with the latest patch info on the server, so you can either manually download it or let the app download it automatically when you start it up.

You work so fast you are making me want an iPhone just for an up-to-date app! Nice work.

Kroan
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
You work so fast you are making me want an iPhone just for an up-to-date app! Nice work.

Haha. Thanks! That's quite the compliment, but it's nothing really. I just made sure that the app can update itself and uploading the data to my server actually is a fairly easy and small task.

Now when it comes to actual work on the app, I am afraid I didn't have much time (and won't for the next weeks). But both more improvements on deck building as advanced filtering is still high on the todo list.

Kroan
03-28-2014, 11:39 AM

All cards should now be in the app and the Hex client with all the updates. If you have any feedback or questions, please let me know.

Kroan
04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Just wanna pop in again and let you guys know that the carddata should be up to date again with today's patch once you update (either by restarting the app or manually download). :)

Kroan
10-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that there might be coming a small update soon. I encourage everyone to download the app now, because it might disappear in the next months, since I am not planning on extending my paid subscription at this point in time. So grab it while you still can :)

Mejis
10-17-2014, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the notice Kroan.
Is the plan to keep the droid version updated? Or is that handled by someone else?

Kroan
10-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the notice Kroan.
Is the plan to keep the droid version updated? Or is that handled by someone else?

The Android version is made by someone else. :)