PDA

View Full Version : first impressions from a TCG "noob"

Cernz
02-16-2014, 04:07 AM
First of all, i love this game ... i never played tcgs in the past not in real life nor online.

Of course i did play a lot of mmos and i also tried hearthstone the past weeks, and for my understanding hs feels like wow (quite casual) and hex feels like EvE Online ;) (a lot more complex). And i like complex and challenging gameplay.

After i got stomped to the ground in my first pvp games in HEX, i learned a lot about the gameplay and some tactics, however some cards are still hard to handle against them (for example Wrathwood Colossus - i just dont know how to beat this guy)...

Also i played my first sealed tournament yesterday, and i have to say that it was a bunch of fun, i lost my first game, but won the rematch... after that the tournament "crashed" and i had to drop, but anyway i liked it so far, and i am looking forward to the next HEX steps.

I of course miss a more polished UI and some comfort options (for example, i did not know how many cards i have to use in a sealed... so i had a quick look on youtube ;) to figure out the correct amount of cards... a counter would be quite nice for this x of 40 cards or x of 60 cards for constructed (in the deck builder). Also cards shown by cost would be nice 1+.

Over all i cant wait to play with my "own" cards in closed beta, to have every card available is a bit much for me as a noob ;)... so playing with less cards would be easier to learn the game (for me).

All in all - great work so far, cant wait for the wipe ;D

Regards - the Kackösi aka TCG noob...

havocattack
02-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Welcome :) Glad you're enjoying Hex :D

I'm also really looking forward to the closed beta, is gonna be sweet to have our own collections!

A good place to learn and or get familiarized, is to check out some twitch streams, there is normally someone streaming at most times of the day and lots of great streamers to watch (like me :D)

FlyingMeatchip
02-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Check out hextcgpro.com for some more information too.

Malakili
02-16-2014, 06:55 AM
for example Wrathwood Colossus - i just dont know how to beat this guy)...

This card is an example of a finisher/win condition. If your opponent gets this out uncontested, it's basically a win for him. There are a few possible outs at that point, but if you aren't prepared to deal with it as it comes into play, or shortly thereafter you aren't meant to "beat" him.

Welcome to the game.

Yoss
02-16-2014, 02:35 PM
The UI and deckbuilder will improve over time, I'm sure. Your ideas are good.

Cernz
02-19-2014, 01:47 AM
This card is an example of a finisher/win condition. If your opponent gets this out uncontested, it's basically a win for him. There are a few possible outs at that point, but if you aren't prepared to deal with it as it comes into play, or shortly thereafter you aren't meant to "beat" him.

Welcome to the game.

Yep it is a very nice card :) but after some more knowledge of the game, i found quite a lot cards who can deal with it, and with many other "scare cards". Really cant wait to reach closed beta ;)