PDA

View Full Version : windows tablet and dedicated keyboard idea

trapline
02-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I've been playing hex tablet style on a surface pro 2, and it's worked fairly well. I had an idea for the devs that might make sense for hex in the long run, especially when considering the whole windows rt tablet problem that is going to rear it's ugly head later down the line.

I think if I was cryptic, it might be smart to engineer an in game keyboard for hex that can be toggled on and off. Having it's own keyboard built into the client would allow windows tablet owners to run hex in full screen mode without having to build a native windows rt app. This would allow users of windows tablets to simply use the full windows version of hex on tablets and skip the wasted time making hex for windows rt versions.

Supporting RT is a waste of time in my opinion as the tablets that can run hex would be the same tablets that offer full windows support.

having an integrated keyboard would also allow for hex specific shortcuts, hot keys and other dooo dads.

Miwa
02-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Given that they use Unity, as long as they don't go out of their way to do custom stuff on Windows that wont work on other ports, making it run on RT should be easy. Unity or the OS can provide an on-screen keyboard for when it's needed, so it's not a big dev job.

The Surface 2 certainly has enough beef to run Hex if they are going to support other tablets. And I prefer carrying around the Surface 2 over my other Windows tablets (and over my Samsung 9 Series).

That said, sadly I think they'll be too busy to test everything on the Surface 2, so those of us wishing for it to show up there will be screwed. I still think they should get Hex into the Windows Store though...