PDA

View Full Version : Necrotic consciousness

Karstaag
02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Here is my question.

Is a consciousness of necrotic individual kept in body or in hexing gems? Or is there created a new one each time a body is bound to the gem?

And if body is killed, is the gem automaticly destroyed or can it be attached to another body again?

Because if consciousness is inside the gem and it can be used again, then you can have some great potential... warriors that will learn from their death... similar to Cylons in BSG.

Their enemies would then focus their gems of coarse to prevent this but the potential is still there.

Yoss
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm not great at the flavor side of development, but I love it that others are there making it great from an art standpoint (in general, not just graphical). I can't wait for the PvE story!

Karstaag
02-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Exactly. I hope that it will be strong breathing world that you can connect yourself to as you play... I always imagine those battles as i play card games... in MTG that I am a wizard that is using raw power of lands to summon creatures and powerful spells.... in this one it would be possible actual battles... you as general or leader or something that leads these units towards victory ( or doom ), using gems from space or ancient magic, thanks to your own abilities or thanks to your mage that is helping you....

Lawlschool
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
The necrotic are infested with an alien consciousness that is fed to them through the Hexing Gems they socket into themselves. What most mortal races do not realize is that Hexing Gems have sentience and self-awareness. This consciousness normally does not assert itself, except with the necrotic.

Seems like a bit of both. The Hexing gems are a conduit for the consciousness. No official word on what happens if a Necrotic's "body" dies, or if it even could die...

Karstaag
02-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I just read flavor text of Grim Skull Sorcerer that says: The necrotic have collective consciousness that originates from the hexing gems embedded in them.
So i guess they have some kind of hive mind or something. Well that is even greater potential... each one of them is contributing to experiences of all... And those stronger than others are so just because of good attributes of their bodies i guess.

Gwaer
02-20-2014, 12:07 AM
My personal theory is that they are more like appendages of the meteor Hex. It is itself a malevolent sentient self aware ball of concentrated magic. Potentially with MPD and each of the different colors have a slightly different drive and motivation, but maybe not.

Taross
03-03-2014, 08:50 AM
I am thinking that either Hex is some form of crystalline entity that pretty much had its conciousness and 'life energy' stored all throughout itself. And bits of it broken off during its impact and travel through Entrath thusly not only empower magic due to their internal energy, but parts of the life and memories are also what animates the Necrotic.

It could be malevolent and controlling all the Necrotic on a subconcious level to subvert the planet, maybe to gather back all the bits of itself that got lost and put them back where they belong before it flies off again.
It could also just 'be' and the scattered bits and pieces are somehow there to experience a whole new thing in senses, mobility, 'life'...
Partly by becoming the Necrotic. Partly by doing what it does to Dragons... maybe even partly through whatever interaction process allows the living races to manipulate the gems for magic. And it's hanging around just soaking up all these things it never knew about before.
Just so rotten that so much of what 'we' do with it is violent...

But I'm drifting off-topic...

I am seeing potential in the idea of the Necrotic sharing or posessing a form of conciousness that grows inside the Hexxing stones and not the body itself. Might be interesting to reflect in a Necrotic Champion to allow expenditure of resource to bring back a troop from your graveyard into your hand with +1/+1. Still has to be re-summoned the proper way after, though, as if to reflect the idea of placing the stones in a new host, with its experiences intact.

Lorewise
03-03-2014, 10:16 PM
From what we've been given it seems like it could be either. According to the Necrotic page on the website:

"What most mortal races do not realize is that Hexing Gems have sentience and self-awareness. This consciousness normally does not assert itself, except with the necrotic."

And from the character page the entry for Lixil states:

"Awakening new necrotic by placing diamond gems into the eye sockets of human corpses slows down the decaying process significantly, but does not halt it. Eventually, when necrotic are slain in battle or their bodies become too decomposed over time to remain useful, the diamond gems are implanted into a new corpse and re-awakened. When this occurs, the 'new' necrotic typically takes a unique name and often assumes new personality traits that can range from subtle quirks to an entirely different persona."

In all honesty there just isn't enough information yet to be sure but it seems as though it could go either way, and it may be dependent on how the host and the hexing gem interact.

Tinuvas
03-04-2014, 08:18 AM
waitaminutewaitaminute. I didn't quite put 2 and 2 together, but only the DIAMOND gems are used by the necrotic...but all hexing gems (ruby, sapphire, and diamond) have sentience and self-awareness. So if you put rubies into someone's eye sockets would they pop a different factioned necrotic-ish creature? We know that the necrotic are 'evil'. Would other hexing gems create non-evil folks?

Gwaer
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Post #6 I hit on that a bit. I don't think we'll see a faction that's non-evil necessarily. But differently evil certainly. Less/More ambiguously evil.

if that's how it works at all. And what about throwing multiple colors of gen in the same body? Perhaps all 5 colors will neutralize the evil, by grounding one another out. Or make the ultimate evil...

Sholynyk
05-12-2014, 03:23 PM
My personal theory behind the necrotic are that when the hex gems are implanted they create a soul or pull one from the void, the hex gems then form a symbiotic relationship with their hosts. the hex gems themselves have the hive mind, but the hosts are individuals who cannot survive without the hex gems. This explains how they can be both varying strengths, as well as varying personalities. Yet still retain a hive mind.

Dynimix
05-14-2014, 07:23 AM
These gems remind me of the Yeerks....

Glae
05-16-2014, 08:23 AM
I think the only necrotic we've seen in another shard is the windwalker acolyte, right?

Erebus
05-16-2014, 09:50 AM
We have Corrupted Harvester, High Tomb Lord, Midnight Shephard, Blood Savant and Shadowblade Lurker. Despite being Blood/Ruby, they all appear to have diamonds in their eyes.

The exception is the Champion Gozzog who's eyes appear to have rubies.

Loregoyle
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
We are actually correcting the Gozzog artwork to make it more clear that his eyes are diamonds.

ossuary
05-18-2014, 04:17 AM
You know, the whole thing with Lixil's lore kind of reminds me of Doctor Who (not the shitty Moffet bastardization, but the original lore from the first show, and the first couple of seasons of the new version). The gems store the "hive mind" connection that powers the necrotic, but going into a new body (Doctor Who regenerating) gives them a slightly different personality, with different quirks... and sometimes the change is extreme.

It's also not unlike Dax from Star Trek: DS9. Except for the hive mind part - it seems like there may be a mass consciousness behind the Necrotic, rather than each gem having an individual symbiotic mind of its own as in DS9 (though of course we don't have enough information about this yet except for a few words here and there). I find this whole thing very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Glae
05-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Oh. I meant outside of Diamond or Blood, not just Diamond. But I forgot about shadowblade Lurker.