PDA

View Full Version : Replicating Raptors!

IAmPotent
02-20-2014, 02:59 AM
So I have been messing around with a fun deck that I thought I'd share.

Shards:

18x Blood
10x Sapphire
10x Wild
4x Shards of Fate

Creatures:

4x Pack Raptor
3x Demented Demolisher

Spells:

4x Replicator's Gambit
4x Oakhenge Ceremony
3x Infernal Professor

The deck should look pretty straight-forward. Get Pack Raptor and use Replicator's Gambit on it as quickly as possible. Use Demented Demolisher as soon as you have enough Threshold & Resources to use it(Besides DD and Infernal everything is 1/1). Once you've thinned the deck with DD and have used Gambit on your Raptor, use an Oakhenge to try and pull the raptor. Spam Raptors and use any last Gambit's/Oakhenges to get more Raptors otherwise.

Definitely not competitive, but it plays fun.

I have actually had 2 games that have gone like so:

Turn 1: Wild Shard. Pack Raptor.
Turn 2: Sapphire Shard. Replicator's Gambit. Card Drawn is the same Pack Raptor shuffled in.
Turn 3: Blood Shard. Pack Raptor. 6x Pack Raptors are created. I play one more.
Turn 4: Attack with 8 8/8 Pack raptors.

Lawlschool
02-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Clever concept, seems like a lot of fun! You could probably make a few adjustments to get it to be a bit more consistent. Drop 6 shards for an extra Prof, Demolisher, and 4x Moonari Sensei (for the Cantrip effect), and another 4 shards for 4x Shards of Fate to help hit the thresholds you need.

Mr.Funsocks
02-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Tried this idea, doesn't work very well. Simple reason is that all the new raptors dilute out the one you've gambit-ed. Just straight up draw with raptors (Wrenlocke and Oracle Song, along with Fulmination) works well better. If you do pull off a Gambit-raptor, it's pretty sweet, but chances are by the time you get the gambit onto the raptor you've got an extra 10-20 raptors in the deck already and you're never gonna find the one you gambitted as you increase the number.

IAmPotent
02-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Tried this idea, doesn't work very well. Simple reason is that all the new raptors dilute out the one you've gambit-ed. Just straight up draw with raptors (Wrenlocke and Oracle Song, along with Fulmination) works well better. If you do pull off a Gambit-raptor, it's pretty sweet, but chances are by the time you get the gambit onto the raptor you've got an extra 10-20 raptors in the deck already and you're never gonna find the one you gambitted as you increase the number.

In a traditional sense of using a Raptor Deck, that is possible. However my concept is specifically geared towards replicating the raptor.

I play the deck with the sole intention of Demolisher>Raptor>Replicate>Oakhenge all in 1 Turn. If I don't do this by the 5th-6th of my turns, I've probably already lost anyways in all honesty, as I've said the deck isn't really competitive, just fun. I usually refrain from playing Raptors before Turn 5 and just eat the damage that comes, very often leaving me around 6-7 life before I get any out.(Any deck that is fast or has a lot of counters will destroy me, may be useful to use the Sensei's not only for draw but for chump blocks as well)

However, if I do this:

4th Turn: Demolisher
5th Turn: Raptor
End of Opponent's Turn before mine(or as a chump block), use Demolisher:
6th Turn: Replicator on Raptor.

At this point my deck is sitting at about 14 cards, 15 when the raptor goes in. I have a 1:15 chance to simply draw the same Raptor with the gambit(which seems to happen quite often o.O, I've had it happen twice on my second Turn, giving me 8 raptors Turn 3.(Having Raptor+ replicate in hand is the only time I usually play a raptor early just for that 1:52 chance I draw the raptor)

I will most likely have at least 1(if not 2) Oakhenge Ceremony in my hand. This effectively gives me 1/3 chance of pulling the raptor that turn.

So as you can see by focusing the deck on the combo, and not actually the raptors, you actually give yourself a very good chance at pulling that Raptor(so long as you don't play many others before drawing it after thinning the deck).

I'm really just trying to find an interesting way to use Replicator's Gambit as I very much like the mechanics of the card, but would like something more conceptual than dropping 8 Bombs to the table.(Which I could probably do to a more competitive/serious degree using the same concept but with something bigger, although getting the creature out may pose more of a difficulty)

IAmPotent
02-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Clever concept, seems like a lot of fun! You could probably make a few adjustments to get it to be a bit more consistent. Drop 6 shards for an extra Prof, Demolisher, and 4x Moonari Sensei (for the Cantrip effect), and another 4 shards for 4x Shards of Fate to help hit the thresholds you need.

I'm surprised I didn't put the Shards of Fate under the Shard category(and that nobody's called out the deck for being 56 cards XD). I fixed the original post.

Chocmaw
02-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Great deck idea :) I've actually had someone use something similar against me with the Wyldeboar and it was gg Turn 4
Could you tell me how you know if the card that you've drawn is the one that you used Replicator's Gambit on?

Cheers

IAmPotent
02-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Great deck idea :) I've actually had someone use something similar against me with the Wyldeboar and it was gg Turn 4
Could you tell me how you know if the card that you've drawn is the one that you used Replicator's Gambit on?

Cheers

The card will have the new text on it after being shuffled in.

JayDeth
02-24-2014, 12:47 PM
My Raptor deck has just 1 Wild shard. It plays Ascetic Aspirant. The Transcended + Replicator's Gambit = more Raptors for 2 resources.

So good.

Norious
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
remind me to grab omen of oblivion when i play you

Errantsquire
03-08-2014, 04:08 AM
I'd try to play less shards and more card draw/shard fixing in the form of Oracle Song, Bottled Vitae, and Infusion Device. This will help you not get flooded as much in your opening hand.