PDA

View Full Version : The New Card Borders

BenRGamer
02-21-2014, 07:21 AM
To be honest, I don't really like it--I think its the coloring behind the text in the text box, it can make the text hard to read and, well, it feels like it's 'trying too hard.'

I liked the old cards because they were pretty simple, I'm a less is more kinda guy.

Jinxies
02-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Nooo the new cards are amazingly gorgeous! O_O

Xenavire
02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
These are simple, but use contrast to seem more slick and flashy. I love them.

BenRGamer
02-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Well, like I said, I think it's all the coloring and the background in the text box. If you take that out, I'd like it a lot more.

ossuary
02-21-2014, 08:08 AM
I love the look of the cards, but the text is still hard to read (regardless of the background - the font is terrible). Hopefully they can do something about that either way, without taking away from how gorgeous the new art looks. Super slick! :)

Niedar
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM
New borders looks great and text looks as terrible as it used to.

Edit: If changing the color of the text box is part of the process in making text more readable then it is certainly something that should be changed but I can tell you that doing that alone will do nothing on making it more readable.

Daer
02-21-2014, 08:33 AM
I keep going back and forth about my thoughts on the new card frames. After thinking about it I like the new frames but wish they had some specific features of the old frames as well. Both versions side by side:

http://i.imgur.com/5Hom7Ih.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/lXZ6H2R.jpg

- I prefer the old Hex logo around the card cost rather than a plain hexagon.

- I prefer the thicker border on the old frames

- I wish the new frames had some part of the attack/defense circles have a circle of the cards color around them, like the old frames.

- I liked having the card number (125/341) collector info on the front of the card.

- The rarity icon doesn't seem quite right in the new frames, something is off. Seems too bright or cartoony or something.

- The font is still terrible but its the same font that has been used for a while now.

Xenavire
02-21-2014, 09:06 AM
The collector number I can agree with... But I think that will fit on the double back nicely. It isnt relevant info in the middle of the game, so I can see some sound reasoning behind the choice.

Font I dont mind but it could be a lot clearer.

I do like the rarity icon, obvious at a glance, perfect for limited.

Avaian
02-21-2014, 09:25 AM
The collector number I can agree with... But I think that will fit on the double back nicely. It isnt relevant info in the middle of the game, so I can see some sound reasoning behind the choice.

Font I dont mind but it could be a lot clearer.

I do like the rarity icon, obvious at a glance, perfect for limited.

Rarity: This icon tells you the rarity of the card based on the color. Additionally hovering over this icon will give you the set name and collection number (this feature is not yet implemented)

I think this new rarity Icon fits better with the idea of Hex being a Digital TCG.

mudkip
02-21-2014, 10:54 AM
- I prefer the old Hex logo around the card cost rather than a plain hexagon.

- I prefer the thicker border on the old frames

- I wish the new frames had some part of the attack/defense circles have a circle of the cards color around them, like the old frames.

- I liked having the card number (125/341) collector info on the front of the card.

- The rarity icon doesn't seem quite right in the new frames, something is off. Seems too bright or cartoony or something.

- The font is still terrible but its the same font that has been used for a while now.

Disagree with the borders, but agree with everything else.

knightofeffect
02-21-2014, 10:57 AM
I almost universally prefer the old frames, perhaps the metallicish texture on the new ons is better.

I don't like how pronounced the threshold sockets are.
Don't like the color devoid P/T
Really don't like the new rarity implementation
Really don't like the new cost Hexagon
Don't like the random glyphs
Don't like the thinner boarders and overall reduction of color.

One the whole it makes the game have a more dull mechanical feel than an exciting high-fantasy feel. To that point, I do like the way they look on artifacts.

Xenavire
02-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Rarity: This icon tells you the rarity of the card based on the color. Additionally hovering over this icon will give you the set name and collection number (this feature is not yet implemented)

I think this new rarity Icon fits better with the idea of Hex being a Digital TCG.

My issue is the shape and colour, when seen smaller. All the rarity colours except grey are also colours of the shards. Common - diamond. Uncommon - wild. Rare - sapphire. Ledendary - ruby.

Not a big deal, but they are on the same side of the card, and zoomed out are possible to confuse. Not easy, but I have had to double take once or twice since the change.

Changing the gem shapes would not hurt anyone, would be a lot clearer at a glance, and it would allow players to distunguish between minor and major gems just by looking at the socket.

Mahes
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
They need to reevaluate the gem socket. It is very difficult to notice and new players will miss it frequently and be very angry. I have already almost missed them and I have played the game a LOT.

Also, the coloring is not right. While you can tell the difference between the different shards, the contrast is not near what it should be.

BossHoss
02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
What I would like to see for the socket if kept as is:

Particle effect animation of the "grey bar" that extends up and down from either side of the gem. For example a minor Ruby gem would have a slight glow of red on the grey bar extending down. A Prime gem could glow in both directions.

Gwaer
02-21-2014, 12:31 PM
An unsocketed one needs something to draw attention to it's well IMO.

the_artic_one
02-21-2014, 01:09 PM
My only issue with the new frames is the shine in the middle of the text box. Tone that down and they're perfect.

hex_colin
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
They definitely underwent some revisions since the concept art I saw. I liked what I saw a bit earlier in the process more than what made it into the game. I'm also hoping that the gem sockets/glyphs are still incomplete - I know they had bigger plans for how they would look.

Xenavire
02-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Colin, question: are the glyphs completely aesthetic? Or will they have a purpose at some point? Because I like them and all, and I don't mind the clutter, but they don't seem vital to the experience. They look better than the old glyphs for sure though.