PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an official ruling on card owner vs. controller?

Xetherion
02-23-2014, 10:34 AM
An opponent took control of one of my troops via Urunaaz. I played Time Ripple on said troop, and it returned the troop to my opponent's hand instead of my hand. Urunaaz only says it takes control of target troop, not ownership. Is this intended to mean ownership, or is this a bug?

Gwaer
02-23-2014, 11:29 AM
This is a hard question to answer. But I *think* the last thing I heard about it was that they're phasing out the MTG meaning of ownership entirely. That basically the owner of a card is whoever has control of it or whoever has it in their deck. Potentially the word ownership is going to change to something else. Or the word will be defined some other way once we get the full rules.

funktion
02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
They are not currently distinguishing between owner and controller... to clarify, if you control it then you own it.

They definitely need to reword a few cards if this is to be the case. I would just remove all instances of the word owner. Even so it does seem a little awkward to not have the opportunity to differentiate between the two on CZE's end.

This might not be an official response, but I've confirmed it straight from the source so you can consider it official.

Arbiter
02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Technically they are owned by CZE :-). It is a problem though, HS has the same treatment for "owner" and it causes confusion, particularly from players of other TCGs. There are sporadic threads about it. The best way to avoid any confusion is to use the word "controller". Owner is not the correct term to use, and there is no ambiguity if the card says controller.