PDA

View Full Version : Beta update.

Sholynyk
02-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Hello. I am just wondering if anybody has an idea when the beta is scheduled for currently. I searched through a bunch of threads and never found anything other than "later" I am asking because my friends who i got very interested in the game just before the kickstarter ended are starting to lose hope of it coming out and are purchasing magic cards again. Dont want them to use their money for that if this game is around the corner.

ossuary
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
It's not around the corner. It's going to be at least a couple of months before closed beta, and a couple more after that before open / monetized beta.

mudkip
02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Cory mentioned in an interview that they expect Beta in Q1, (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/hex-shards-of-fate-now-playing/2300-6416509/) which means by the end of March. Also, Slacker Backer is meant to end on 1st April, (http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/76449580127/blog-post-number-2) which supports that claim.

However, that is only 5 weeks away, so I don't believe it. I agree with ossuary's comment that it's more likely a few months away.

Your friends can enjoy both games - let them go and buy some Magic cards.

ossuary
02-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Also, even if they do meet that date (which I strongly doubt they will; sorry, I love CZE, but timeliness is not currently one of their strengths - have patience), that would only be for the start of Closed Beta, not for monetized, anyone can join Beta.

panzer
02-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Remember when beta was set for September 2013 (oh once upon a time).

RobHaven
02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Conversations like these hurt me. They literally cause me physical pain. I want this game to launch that much. I get all kinds of anxiety and my muscles constrict...it's like Christmas Eve all over again. Every minute feels like an eternity. I NEED THIS!!

mach
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
When they made the Q1 estimate they probably didn't expect that tournaments would take so long to get working reliably (they're still not there yet). As it is, with the current rate of progress Q1 isn't happening unless they cut back on the planned features list significantly. Even Q2 is doubtful at the current rate.

The key question at this point (and something they're smart to stay silent about) is whether the Q1 projection was based on when they thought they'd be ready or when they needed to start monetizing to raise funds to finish development.

jimmywolf
02-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Cory mentioned in an interview that they expect Beta in Q1, (http://www.gamespot.com/videos/hex-shards-of-fate-now-playing/2300-6416509/) which means by the end of March. Also, Slacker Backer is meant to end on 1st April, (http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/76449580127/blog-post-number-2) which supports that claim.

However, that is only 5 weeks away, so I don't believe it. I agree with ossuary's comment that it's more likely a few months away.

Your friends can enjoy both games - let them go and buy some Magic cards.

thanks for sharing information, i also agree it seem unlikely they hit Q1 but you never know. i love to be surprised an they be able too push thing out sooner then later.

ossuary
02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Remember when beta was set for September 2013 (oh once upon a time).

Remember when they used the word ESTIMATE, because Kickstarter requires one? It was never, ever, EVER "set" for September. Everyone who keeps saying this is wrong. They estimated, their estimate was wildly optimistic, they quickly realized it, the end.

bojanglesz
02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Remember when they used the word ESTIMATE, because Kickstarter requires one? It was never, ever, EVER "set" for September. Everyone who keeps saying this is wrong. They estimated, their estimate was wildly optimistic, they quickly realized it, the end.

CZE worst estimators NA

Gwaer
02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
CZE worst estimators NA
Duke nukem?

ossuary
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Duke nukem?

Aliens: Colonial Marines.

primer
02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Is anyone else a little worried that if we had only got 300k instead of almost 2.3 million that we'd be in big trouble? All the time from the estimated September 13 can't be cheap and with a few exceptions most of the stretch goals aren't super expensive.

Gwaer
02-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Sure, the project turned out to be much bigger than anticipated. Luckily the KS was massively successful, and they have more resources to get it done. As long as they don't compromise on the vision we signed up for too much the game is going to be we'll worth the added dev time.

ossuary
02-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Each individual item they added may not have been super significant in terms of resources, but it represented a shift to a much larger overall game (especially expanded dungeons at launch, extra racial cities, an entire crafting system, that kind of stuff). It would have required to ramp to a much larger team size to reach the overall level of depth the additional goals represented. If they had barely managed to scrape together the 300K initial goal, they would have just stayed a smaller team. But yeah, there might have been some belt tightening in that scenario, because of the misjudgement of timelines.

Like Gwaer said, fortunately for everyone, they were successful enough to survive a bit of stumbling, and we get a much better overall game as a result. :)

tautologico
02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
It's not around the corner, in fact I don't expect (open) beta to hit before September. If it comes earlier than that, then great, but I don't have high hopes for it, considering the current state and pace of development.

And if they had got only about 300K from the Kickstarter CZE would be in big trouble right now, IMO. It's clear now that the game was over-ambitious and that the creator(s) had no idea about how hard it is to develop software, hence the utterly wrong initial estimates (this was basically admitted by Cory himself). If the time estimate was wrong (and not just wrong, VERY wrong), the cost estimate was surely wrong as well, especially because, as everyone knows, time is money.

So we know CZE are cool people who wouldn't just give up on the project when they realized they didn't have enough money to make it. But they wouldn't have enough money to make it, which would make things very hard. I don't think the initial scope of the project was significantly smaller than what we got from stretch goals; the stretch goals were mostly rewards from backers and other niceties that didn't make a big impact on the project's scope.

Gwaer
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
If they'd only made 300k development would have taken much longer. They'd have to fund production in other ways. They'd have to cut a lot of things to be released later. But it'd likely have still gotten made. Thankfully that's irrelevant to reality since that's not how it went down. We get a denser game faster. Though still a bit outside of projected time estimates. If they are within a year of their estimated dates that's pretty good for a game developer. Or honestly software development in general. You have to remember the estimates we got were internal estimates quite early on in their dev cycle. Those dates always slip quite far.

Sholynyk
02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
I think the main issue comes mostly from trying to transition from a board game company to a computer game company. They have all of the experience required to make an amazing game. All the right concepts down. But the actual software engineering they require is (or was) lacking near the launch of the product to allow them to give a proper estimate in regards to time. Still. . .I would rather see them delay on some of the aspects that do not effect general game play until set two to get the product out a little faster.

ossuary
02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
That kind of thing happens a lot in any business where the people in charge, making decisions, or generally designing things are not the same people who actually do the programming work to make it happen (and know next to nothing or less about said engineering work themselves). As a project manager, business analyst, and programmer, I see it all the god damn time. :)

What usually ends up happening is people on both sides don't know the right questions to ask, so things get lost in the shuffle or in translation. Even a very good programmer can over-simplify a job in their head if they don't ask the right questions about how the pieces fit together and inter-relate... which leads to delays, redesigns, tears, and panic when the true breadth of the project finally sinks in. ;)