PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Rainer question.

Blackbird_13
02-27-2014, 05:29 AM
Hey Matt.. diggin the new game.

Question about Kyle Rainer. If we were to play with the full deck (both games), there are ten Power Rings, two Plastic Man cards, and two Clayface cards. IMHO.. this makes Rainer easier to set up than Suicide Squad (using Zatanna.. Bat-Signaling Zatanna again, etc.).. and we normally have one person pull off a Suicide Squad once every two or three games.

That said.. does that make Rainer overpowered in a full deck variant, and if so, is there any different card effect that was looked at for him besides an auto-win?

houjix
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't stress over it. In full deck he's 1 out of over 200 cards so he won't show up that often. Then you had to have acquired the pieces and then get them in the same hand. If you managed to do all that, perhaps you deserve to win.

Matt_Hyra
02-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey Matt.. diggin the new game.

Question about Kyle Rainer. If we were to play with the full deck (both games), there are ten Power Rings, two Plastic Man cards, and two Clayface cards. IMHO.. this makes Rainer easier to set up than Suicide Squad (using Zatanna.. Bat-Signaling Zatanna again, etc.).. and we normally have one person pull off a Suicide Squad once every two or three games.

That said.. does that make Rainer overpowered in a full deck variant, and if so, is there any different card effect that was looked at for him besides an auto-win?

houjix is right. In a 200 card deck you are unlikely to see Kyle in a game.
With Clayface, Plastic Man, & the original Power Rings, if you do get him, it will be easier to pull off the instant win. But it's still hard to get all the components into your hand at once.

We always wanted him to combo with the Rings. The instant win is always going to be hard to pull off if the other players are paying attention. I wouldn't change his text for a 200 card main deck. If it happens in more than 1 in 20 games, just cut the instant win text.

lostsoul1313
02-27-2014, 08:41 PM
If it bothers you too much, homerule the effect to be if you play 3 different power ring cards. That prevents clayface goofiness. You can also homerule it to exclude copies, which prevents plastic man goofiness. Without either of those it'd be significantly harder to pull off.

Although realistically speaking, in a game with more than 2 people, nobody is going to let someone get a hold of more than 2 or 3 copies of a ring. The same way in my playgroup suicide squading was nearly impossible, as nobody let any single person get more than 1 or 2 copies. Furthermore if someone does have 4 or more power rings, you better believe everyone is going to use every attack they have to slow him down and not give him a chance to buy kyle, or simply buy it before him.

If a group lets you get 3-7 power rings and lets you get Kyle Rayner, and all of those things show up on your turn so you get first pick to buy it, and then you get it all in one hand. Then yeah, I'd say lady luck has smiled on you enough for you to deserve a win.

Aberration
03-01-2014, 07:28 AM
I was playing this last night with my wife and had Rainer and five power rings. The turn after my wife defeated the last super villain I would have had three power rings and Rainer. (well, two and plastic man) One day I will get this combo!!

losjackal
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
In a two-player game, I pulled off the insta-win combo with Kyle Rainer, Arkillo, and 3 Rings already in my discard pile. Playing Hector Hammond at this point wins you the game.

Crimson Whirlwind can help throw all that into your discard too.

Blackbird_13
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Yeah.. I did the same.. pulled it off with Arkillo... had Rainer, four Power Rings, Skeets (to put Rainer on top of my deck), and Legion (to draw Rainer). Still seems a bit too easy... easier than the Suicide Squad combo.

Blackbird_13
03-05-2014, 12:52 PM
In a two-player game, I pulled off the insta-win combo with Kyle Rainer, Arkillo, and 3 Rings already in my discard pile. Playing Hector Hammond at this point wins you the game.

Crimson Whirlwind can help throw all that into your discard too.

Thing is that Arkillo pulls out Skeets (which can let you put Rainer on top of your deck), and a number of equipment that let you draw cards (Legion Ring, Mind Control Hat, some of the actual Power Rings themselves). Still feel like that makes the combo a bit easier than it should be for being game ending.

B4y4rd
04-19-2014, 09:44 PM
When you play plastic man what is the exact chain order that he goes in?

aoineko
04-19-2014, 11:25 PM

There isn't a fancy chain in this game. You play the Plastic Man, choose an equipment you played this turn or in your discard pile, and he becomes a copy of that card. You then resolve his new text.

aoineko
04-19-2014, 11:25 PM

There isn't a fancy chain in this game. You play the Plastic Man, choose an equipment you played this turn or in your discard pile, and he becomes a copy of that card. You then resolve his new text.

aventajado
04-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Here was the way my opponent did the Kyle Rainer win con.

1) Played Shazaam (+2 and play the card on the top of the main deck, which was the orange lantern ring)
2) Played Plasticman to copy the orange lantern ring
3) Played Granny Goodness to copy Superboy (which was in the line-up) and took Teleporation into his hand from the discard pile
4) Played Teleporation to gain orange lantern ring
5) Played Kyle Rainer. Game over . . . UGH!!