PDA

View Full Version : Collectible Card Game (random boosters) vs Living Card Game (non-random expansions)

JKat
03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Over at the Board Game Geek website, most are against Random Boosters.

I can understand their point of view. When you play a board game, all the components are available for all players. The most popular card games on Boardgamegeek are the 'Pathfinder' card game and 'Netrunner.' Both use non-random card expansions.

So what about the players in this forum? Which format would you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the LCG because I spend less money buying cards and I can still enjoy the game.

My problem with CCGs are that you really have two games:
-- The first game -- hunting down the cards (buying packs)
-- The second game -- playing with the cards you were lucky enough to find (or had the money to purchase).

xou
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
after wow died I definitely became an LCG man. really considered to get those starter decks for Card Wars last couple of days but now it seems like a waste.

nohorsetown
03-06-2014, 07:19 PM
I bought the Collector's Packs specifically because of the planned LCG format. My daughter and I both enjoy the game, but I won't be buying any boosters. Not going down that road again.

TurboNerd
03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
My sons and I are into Card Wars.
That is 3 decks we have to collect.
My wallet prefers LCG.
If this game gets super popular and we find a local community of CW players
we would invest in CCG or LCG.

Its fun and we see CW's potential.
But we are invested mostly because we dig the artwork.
Our only complaint is the quality of the cardstock.
It is sad that they don't fit into regular card sleeves,
but I am sure if this gets popular,
we would see CW sleeves and other accessories (playmats and deck boxes).

So we will continue to support the game until it breaks.

(updated)
oops. just found out the cards fit into regular sleeves.

Odie
03-07-2014, 02:19 PM
I have no interest in chasing down booster cards. The LCG model is a good one, but I would be just as happy having future expansions being released through new collector's boxes.

It's probably far too late to go down this road, but I'd like to see the production plans change to something like, releasing fixed-card box sets as a series; say...Series 1 has six box sets, each with two decks, and have enough card overlap between box sets to create a "complete" game that would give you a full complement of all the cards you would ever need. Each box set on their own is playable, but if you want 3x every card, you can get all of the cards you need by buying every box set in the series. Series 2 introduces new cards and landscapes in the same way, etc.

Re-format the print sheets for the For the Glory! set so that the appropriate number of individual cards would be printed to fall in line with this strategy, and release them within the future box sets in the series.

If you want "special" or "rare" cards, put cards into a set that simply say, "Can only have 1 (or 2) of these cards in your deck at any time."

Completely eliminates the need for rare card-hunts through booster packs, and eliminates the need to buy multiples of the same box set to get 3x of a single card.

I'm not saying this is an easy fix, but it's at least one option to fix a currently bad situation.

Matt_Hyra
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Keep in mind that the game not changing to a Booster Pack model. Collector's Pack decks are still the main way this game will proceed in the future.

Odie
03-07-2014, 04:54 PM
The element of any rarity of cards in the card releases is the main thing that people are upset about - not the way they are packaged.

Even before this latest announcement, there was no doubt in my mind that collector's boxes would still be produced, but the concept of a non-random, non-blind-purchase card game is what initially drew me, and many others, to the game - as they stand now, the booster packs change that notion, even if the collector's boxes themselves are a fixed set.

lukenukem83
04-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I enjoy the LCG format, but the way they've printed the booster packs, card rarity shouldn't be a big issue and I don't see players who buy the entire display gaining significant advantages over players who buy a few at a time. So far, despite my preference towards the LCG style, I don't have an issue with the way they are releasing/printing the current booster packs.

Mathematical_hen
04-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Just need to clear this up for myself. Future releases will be fixed none random character based card sets like the finn and Jake collectors box, right? Does this mean if you plan on releasing future expansions used to accompany the collectors sets like what for the glory does, they will instead be something along the lines of seperately sold packs of additional non random cards? For example, maybe like selling the 100 or so ftg cards in maybe 5 separate packs of 20 odd pre chosen cards.

Matt_Hyra
04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
We only have additional Collector's Packs scheduled at this time. We haven't started thinking about other types of releases, yet. It's possible we could do fixed packs like you described.

Jexxen
04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Speaking on behalf of CCG fans I absolutely love the For the Glory booster packs. Finding cards and building a deck is just as much fun as actually playing the game. I understand there are those who disagree, and that's fine. But I do not seem to understand how people say that a LCG is going to save them money. A Collector's Pack is $20. If I ever want multiple copies of a card that there is only one of in a Collector's Pack, like Cool Dog, then I am paying twenty dollars for a single card. That doesn't sound as cost saving as others say LCGs are.

UncleBob
04-27-2014, 09:48 PM
But if I want another "Raise the Dead" spell, I have to spend anywhere from $4-$96 dollars for a single card. You're guaranteed the third Cool Dog in your $20 box. I'm not even 100% guaranteed to get my Raise the Dead in my $96 box.

Heck, to get three of each card from the Collector's Sets, I'd spend $160 - and I'd have three of everything, guaranteed - 480 cards total - 33 cents/card. If I want three of everything from the expansion, I'd be spending $288 and there's no absolute guarantee I'd get three of everything. I'd have 648 cards - 44 cents/card... with no guarantees.

AndrewCrane
04-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Has anyone bought a booster box yet? If so did you have any luck receiving all 24 of the rare cards. Just want to know, I've taken the dive and ordered one and I'm a bit concerned I wont receive every card. I'm a little bit of a completionist.

Pasty_Winkies
04-28-2014, 08:22 AM
I purchased two booster boxes and received all 24 rares in each. So I would say it would be safe to assume that you will get one of each rare if you buy a box.

UncleBob
04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Myself and a friend both bought a display box and received one of each rare card. I am thankful that the collation on these sets seems pretty even. 2-3 of each common (most being 3) and 1-2 of each uncommon and 1 of each rare.

I still have some issues with the release, but, overall, I won't complain too much. Still would have liked cheaper packs/more cards over 3 foil cards per pack...

Thantastic
04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
I'll add my voice to the choir: I got a box yesterday and got 1 of each rare. Their distribution program works out well.

AndrewCrane
04-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the response guys. It's good to know that Cryptozoic isn't trying to get us card chasing, as they promised. I don't mind this format of booster distribution so much, now that I know I'll be able to receive every card in a display... as long as it's not an oft occurrence - there's only so much a uni budget can handle.