PDA

View Full Version : Skald Tempo (Ruby-Sapphire)

ronwac
03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Skald Tempo
Champion: Wyatt the Sapper

3 Archmage Wrenlocke
4 Buccaneer
4 Eldritch Dreamer (Prime Ruby Gem of Intensity)
4 Kindling Skarn
4 Ruby Pyromancer

4 Burn
2 Countermagic
4 Peek
4 Ragefire
4 Time Ripple

9 Ruby Shard
10 Sapphire Shard
4 Shards of Fate

I did a full write-up of the strategy of this deck here (http://fortsebastian.blogspot.com/2014/03/skald-tempo.html), but the general idea is to get Skalds and Ruby Pyromancers out for the early game, bounce or kill whatever your opponent plays, and then using Eldritch Dreamer or Archmage to gain late game card advantage to finish your opponent off. Poca/Feather may be better champs, and there might be a better option for the two-drop slot, Arena Brawler perhaps?

hOly_nekO
03-06-2014, 01:41 PM
This deck has big issues with control and/or lifegain decks.
Played with it a bit, i feel that some buccaneers needs to be swapped for more counterspell. Also peek may be swapped for oracle song, because its hard to use it effectively (some games ends with only 1S). Also Ruby Pyromancer for me isnt doing much of the work for this deck.

jtatta
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
The deck has far too many troops. Decks with our one drop friend need to keep the Troop count anywhere from like 4-12. The reason for that is because if we can't reliably play two actions from turn two onwards then it's not really worth playing with Skarn. Turn two is a bit ambitious but there no reason why we can't play two actions on turn three to transform him. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to play other troops.

The best list that I have with him only plays 8 troops and is a Ruby/Diamond deck. It had 4 Skarn and 4 Protectorate Defebder with Prime Ruby gem of Destruction (of course), and had something like 25 actions in the deck.

ossuary
03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Sounds brutal. Would you run stoneskin in that scenario, to protect the skarns? Or is it more focused on just blasting out as much damage with the troops and actions as possible?

Errantsquire
03-08-2014, 04:00 AM
I did some analysis on your deck and I think that there are a couple of things that we can do to make it more consistent and give it more tempo.

First I feel that Poca is a better champ for this deck overall, as she'll often be able to push through 3 extra damage unopposed and given the number of card draws/cantrips in the deck you should have no problem getting to 4 charges (or sometimes 8 in long games).

Second I ran your curve and it would seem that you're overstocked on 2 point drops in order to fix this I would drop 2 Time Ripple or 2 peek (peek is probably the better cut here). Given the fact that you're running the new Kindling Skarn you're going to want to cast a lot of your spells during combat or in your first main phase and you won't want to cast them much during your opponents end of turn. This leads me to my next point which is that the 2 cards you shaved from your 2 point range can now be moved to your 3 point range which will help you curve out more often. My suggestion for your 3 point spells is either Oracle Song, Ruby Lance, or more Countermagic. It's tough to play Countermagic effectively in this deck given that you're running Kindling Skarn and most of the time you're going to want to use it on your opponents turn. You'll definitely want to have access to 4 after using your reserves though in order to fend off Heatwave and Extinction.

Other considerations would be cutting 1 Archemage Wrenlocke for another 3 point card, and running the Speed gem in Eldritch Dreamer as you shouldn't have to worry about racing your opponent due to all of the other tempo/removal type cards.

These are just some thoughts/suggestions.

Errantsquire
03-08-2014, 04:04 AM
The deck has far too many troops. Decks with our one drop friend need to keep the Troop count anywhere from like 4-12. The reason for that is because if we can't reliably play two actions from turn two onwards then it's not really worth playing with Skarn. Turn two is a bit ambitious but there no reason why we can't play two actions on turn three to transform him. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to play other troops.

The best list that I have with him only plays 8 troops and is a Ruby/Diamond deck. It had 4 Skarn and 4 Protectorate Defebder with Prime Ruby gem of Destruction (of course), and had something like 25 actions in the deck.

John makes a good point that I didn't think about in my initial analysis. I completely agree you need a lot of actions, and also keep in mind that most of the time you're going to want to play them main phase or during your combat step which will leave your resources exhausted on your opponents turn signaling to them that you have no response for any of their actions which is a pretty bad spot to be in with only a few offensive troops.