PDA

View Full Version : HEX ESRB rating?

Parzival
03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Looking over the thread on the HEX ios app made me think, I did a search, checked the website, has there been any mention of a rating?

My son is nine and wants to play everything I am playing, so he will want to play HEX ;)

Any ideas?

DackFayden
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Probably Teen. The Kismet stuff, Orcs look scary, Some blood art is intense, boobs/sexualizations, and dat Mancubus.

Just a guess though I'd just wait for someone CZE related to answer

mudkip
03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Probably Teen. The Kismet stuff, Orcs look scary, Some blood art is intense, boobs/sexualizations, and dat Mancubus.

Yeah, from what I've seen in the alpha it's friendly for your 9yo.

Yoss
03-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen in the alpha it's friendly for your 9yo.

So "teen" rating means a pre-teen is ok? *confused*

Gwaer
03-10-2014, 06:17 PM
They probably haven't thought much about it, ESRB rating is voluntary, most self published games don't bother with it. Use your best judgement, don't leave it up to some panel.

Xenavire
03-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I highly doubt things will escalate. If things seem safe now, I would expect them to stay safe.

mudkip
03-10-2014, 06:30 PM
So "teen" rating means a pre-teen is ok? *confused*

You never played a game that way recommended for a slightly older age? How'd you turn out?

Kroan
03-11-2014, 01:50 AM
As a minor note; The age for the iOS app has been set by me. Apple offers guidelines when to set what, and since there is "Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence" and "Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes" in the art of the card, the age came down to 9+.

Depending on the themes in the PvE aspect this age might differ though.

MoikPEI
03-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Age 9 would be Grade 3. The darkest content I was consuming at that age was The Simpsons. I don't think I got to comfortably consuming Hex-tier edgy until about Grade 6/Age 12 with Ravenloft, Elmore, and the like.

DackFayden
03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Hmm now that you mention the grade thing... I actually don't think HEX is appropriate for a 9 yr old. I would say actually follow the T rating it'll probs get.

Or you know use your discretion as a gaurdian. A lil exposure to sex/violence won't kill him, but you know where the 9 yr old is at in thier development so I wouldn't trust the rating or even my opinion. Just play HEX and make the call, the fact that you even ask about ESRB shows that you're a responsible gaurdian. +1 to parents

Scammanator
03-11-2014, 07:35 AM
You never played a game that way recommended for a slightly older age? How'd you turn out?

I almost never played games or watched movies until I met the age recommendation. I turned out to be a pacifist and feminist who has a career working on M-rated games. Make of that what you will.

Eierdotter
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
as a father you should kow your child good enough to decide on your own if your child could handle it.
HEX may be a appropriate game for a 8 year old and maybe not for his 12 year old friend.

If you only take the advise from ESRB and other ratings like this, i feel sorry for your child.

YourOpponent
03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
I'd say it will be given a T rating....but then again as a kid when I was 6 I fell in love with the movie Leprechaun...which I'm pretty sure is rated R and if it was for a video game would be rated Mature...so whatever :)

ossuary
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I saw Robocop when I was 6, and I turned out fine. Incidentally, does anyone have some Lye I could borrow?

mudkip
03-11-2014, 12:53 PM
When I was 15-17, some guys at work mentioned Lockdown (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196708/) was a good movie, so I blindly went and rented it. I only discovered later on it was 'R', I'm not sure why they didn't card me.

Not that I was ever interested in a visit to jail, but I guess all the prison rape did deter me a bit more. So you could say I wasn't affected in a negative way by it.

Gwaer
03-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I turned out very personable and well adjusted. That means you pretty much can't go wrong.

Xenavire
03-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Eh, I was watching all kinds of crap from an early age. I don't feel like I am particularly damaged.

Just don't show him saws 3 or later until he is over 18, my personal experience is that they are horrifying movies. The first one was actually very tame and quite cool, and 2 was still moderate if a little more disturbing. I think those could easily be shown to a mature 15+ year old. But I think that whole gore/horror genre is a great one to avoid like the plague anyway.

Werlix
03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Hey guys lets not pass judgement over other people's parenting when we have no idea who they are shall we? As a father myself I'd be pretty insulted to hear someone say "i feel sorry for your child".

For all we know the OP hasn't even loaded into the client yet because there's no PvE etc so just wants a heads up of what to expect. PvE content could have any random kind of cutscenes/images which may be deemed inappropriate for some.

Parzival
03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks Werlix and after rereading my post they might have thought that I wanted to know what the ESRB rating was so I could make a decision as opposed to merely being curious if there was one.

I personally vet every game my son plays, he is only allowed to play in the lounge so my wife and myself can monitor and is banned from Youtube and the like.

I think ESRB ratings are useful for parents who do not have the time to investigate every game their children want to play.

Showsni
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't forget Hex can basically function like an online chatroom, and that means there's always some element of risk involved. Make sure your child knows general internet safety tops like never giving out personal information. I don't know whether or not COPPA would also be a consideration here; the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act applies to any websites that collect personal information from children under 13.

Zomnivore
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Most if not all multiplayer games the multiplayer portion is unrated.

Because this is an mmo/rpg too I believe it will be Teen. For violence ratings, although I don't even know if games like this even get rated anymore. Free to play games usually don't have many barriers to youths, no purchase barrier basically means its a free for all and no limitations for minor access.

It potentially could if they're going to have sales in stores...I don't know if LoL has a rating on their points cards in stores, but maybe expect a similar case to that here.

I don't think Magic has a ESRB sort of rating but there's probably a suggested age thing I think...maybe? Somewhere?