PDA

View Full Version : Sun Needs Nerfed

Disordia
03-11-2014, 07:42 AM
I've been enjoying my time on earth so far, but my biggest complaint has to be the temperature of the Sun. It's too hot. I mean it gets up to around 27 MILLION degrees Fahrenheit. I mean it seems pretty ridiculous. Nothing else can really compete with that kind of heat generation.

Right now, if you want to heat something quick, the argument will always devolve to, "Why not just use the Sun?" Other types of heat generation can't compete. That's why I think CZE should lower the temperature of the Sun by at least 20 or 30 degrees. We need more choice and variety in our heat generation and the Sun is currently too efficient to make those other choices worthwhile.

I really think this will be better for us as a whole and I hope CZE will at least explore the idea.

Xenavire
03-11-2014, 07:44 AM
This thread made me feel a bit better haha. I know it wasnt meant for me, but thanks anyway. Cheered me up.

poizonous
03-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Disordia for president lol

DackFayden
03-11-2014, 07:54 AM
This topic has already been discussed to death on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_energy. If you don't have anything new to add please don't post. You're making me click and type up responses to things I don't care about. How dare you.

See I can trivialize and troll too. Its easy and fun

ossuary
03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
I know someone is going to scream #ThisIsn'tMercury, but seriously, if you think we have it bad here, try dealing with the sun on other planets. You don't know how good you have it.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I don't want to see the Sun banned, just bring it down to where it's in line with the other energy sources. Right now, it's so efficient, it could very easily be abused down the road. How you can't see the ramifications of letting this go is mind boggling. I want to make sure that there is a level playing field between all the energy producers, and one new thing could push the Sun to a point of dominance.

jtatta
03-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I hate when I have to mulligan because it doesn't have heat like the Sun produces. Really they should just let us mulligan for free or just mulligan until we get the Sun and then we are forced the keep. I don't know why CZE isn't letting us test every aspect of their game and tell them when they're wrong (duh, always). I want my money back because I backed this game ONLY for the unique mulligan rules.

DackFayden
03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
There's a common misconception here: People are blaming the Sun. The real culprit is Electromagnetic Energy not the Sun-Earth interaction. Please only post if you can differentiate the two.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Different energy situations work for different planets. I don't want to judge Mercury from an Earth point of view just like how I don't want Mars to judge us from a Mars point of view.

Hexgo
03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I suggest to wait until CZE cleared the bugs out of Cold Fusion, might have a great impact to the whole play.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 08:34 AM
I mean they keep talking about cold fusion, but they haven't shown us any new updates on it. I don't think they are as far along with cold fusion as we one thought. By the time they finish their cold fusion technology, everyone will have moved to wind or solar energy and won't want to eat the expenses to switch back over.

Scammanator
03-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Guys, you aren't taking into account playstyles at different latitudes. Sure, a 0 latitude playstyle pretty much has to use the Sun to be efficient, but at latitudes such as 45 or -60 the Sun starts being a lot less reliable, and the other options become viable. The problem is that if the current format 0 latitude is dominating, but I'm sure that will change with the release of the next equinox.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Well I mean sure, but if you're going to argue that point, then we have to start talking about altitude, too, and that way madness lies. I mean, should players who live in deep valleys or under the ocean get some kind of handicap bonus, just because they can't harness as much energy as their desert counterparts? Please.

Freebird_Falcon
03-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I mean they keep talking about cold fusion, but they haven't shown us any new updates on it. I don't think they are as far along with cold fusion as we one thought. By the time they finish their cold fusion technology, everyone will have moved to wind or solar energy and won't want to eat the expenses to switch back over.

This is exactly why they need to implement the Solar Mulligan Solution! :mad:

Disordia
03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
The problem is most professionals get their heating at the 0 latitude, so findings at other latitudes are immediately discredited at higher levels of energy production discussions. This is pushing more and more people into 0 latitude thinking and is allowing the Sun to push other energy options out of the conversation.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
They've already stated they are using the lunar mulligan. Any further discussion on it is fruitless. Different solutions are just different points in the scale between light and dark. CZE had decided this is the balance of light and dark they want in the solar system. Any argument is just subjective based on if you personally prefer more light or more dark.

BossHoss
03-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Here is where I am truly upset. Cory SPECIFICALLY stated there would not be a refresh timer. Currently I can only draw heat from the sun for, on average, half of a 24 hr period. Ever since I was born, I have become sick of waiting through the darkness while others are unfairly enjoying the heat. If CZE does not make the Earth flat like it used to be so I can consistently draw heat I will demand my womb back.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:18 AM
I mean if they went fully light, then you'll have people complaining about not being able to sleep, or not knowing what day it is, or the impending heat death of the planet. Same issues with going fully dark, but it'd be frigid. A balance has to be struck, and this is the line CZE had drawn in the sand. If you really want more Sun, you could try Mercury. I heard they are a bit more casual about their Sun exposure.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Look, we've already been over this. #ThisIsn'tMercury. Anyone who wanted to move to Mercury to take advantage of their higher sun energy output has already done so. We're looking for real world Earth solutions here, okay? Next you'll be telling people they should just live on the surface of the sun itself and cut out the middleman. Come on!

jtatta
03-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Off-topic but I feel really bad for the people who don't understand this thread.

Really.

BossHoss
03-11-2014, 09:26 AM
I tried Mercury but got burnt out quickly. The heat was great and all but I grew tired quickly. Not enough variance for me. I would prefer to fight for what I think I like on Mercury and bring it back to Earth thinking it wouldn't have the same issues here.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I mean if you really want that much light, why not? And new people are coming along everyday with the same arguments as the people that left for Mercury already. If they really want to go, they should be able to, but I feel we have a good balance as it is here. Now we just need to work on balancing within our planets biosphere to make sure the Sun isn't unfairly dominating or energy production on earth.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:30 AM
You can't have what you had on Mercury and expect to bring it to Earth. It's two totally different energy levels and if you try mixing them, you'll just ruin what is special about each of them. I would suggest visiting Mercury periodically to avoid getting burned out on it.

Aradon
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
As much as I am tired of mulligan debates, I don't see how yet another trolling thread is helping the issue.

You guys seem to be enjoying this thread, though, so carry on.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Now maybe something like solar energy conversion technology from Mercury could be adapted to Earth, but it will still not work exactly how it did on Mercury no matter how much you'd want it to.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Has anyone brought up eclipses yet? I know a total eclipse is not a very frequent event at any particular point on the globe, but the reality is that this scenario DOES come up from time to time. What plans do CZE have in place to avoid an unbalanced encounter in this scenario? You need to be thinking about this kind of stuff, or people will complain after the fact and cause a ruckus.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Eclipses have been happening since way before CZE took over, and we've made it through those just fine. As long as CZE stays the course and handles it like its predecessors, we should be fine.

BlackRoger
03-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Reading this thread I reached the conclusion that the only solution is a complete rework of the sun.

My suggestion is this:
The sun will now rotate around earth, work on Coal and be turned on or off using a remote control.
I believe this solves all the problems mentioned above without actually improving the game.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:40 AM
There are no trolls here. Just people concerned about our future energy production prospects. I just hope people realize what's going on before the Sun becomes our only source.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. I think the Sun needs some adjustment, but not a complete rework. What would we do in the meantime? The Sun plays a huge role in heating our planet and God help us if the work is delayed. I think we should just try lowering the temperature a little to produce more pleasing temperatures and allowing us to explore other heating options so we aren't as reliant on the Sun as we are now. The degree change should also only cause a minimal impact on the rest of the solar system, but we will never know if we don't test it.

Beck
03-11-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't want to derail the topic but I think we need to have a discussion about Pluto. I never agreed with it being reclassified as a dwarf planet which I believe CZE had a hand in. It will always be a full fledged planet to me.

Tinuvas
03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Why not just stop the Earth in it's course? Those who want the Sun can move to one side of the Earth, those who don't can stay in the dark. It solves all problems forever doesn't it? I mean, after dealing with all of us, this should be a piece of cake for CZE.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
The classification of Pluto has no actual impact on our current situation. We could call it a dwarf planet, a ui planet, or a full fledged planet, but it doesn't do anything for the real issues affecting us right now. We need the foundation built before discussing what kind of windows we want.

BlackRoger
03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
@Disordia
The problem with the sun is not just its current temperature, but its entire design.
Trying to fix that messy pile of fusion would be far more work and will deffinetally delay release.
In fact, it might be better to just move it to set 2, I'm sure there is enough heat in the rest of our options to keep us alive until the sun is ready for a competitive environment.

Also I think this game needs more black holes, I can't believe CZE hasn't thought of that yet.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
We can't just partially turn off gravity. Not only can we not do that currently, but the trickle down effects can be catastrophic, including slamming into the neighbouring solar system.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 10:03 AM
That's the problem, there is possibly enough heat, but we haven't explored those options enough because of our solar dependency. We need time to improve the technologies in those fields before we could consider that, but we won't bother as long as the Sun is there.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Black holes are all flash and no substance. They look pretty, but never actually gain you anything. Normally they just end up being a money pit. You never get back what you put into it.

BlackRoger
03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
We can't just partially turn off gravity. Not only can we not do that currently, but the trickle down effects can be catastrophic, including slamming into the neighbouring solar system.

Not gravity, just Earth's rotation around itself.
I theorize that if we all jump at the exact same time, then repeat that around 1 million times, we can force it to a stop.
I'd post my research, but you'de need a 4th degree in science just to understand the title.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Shockingly, both of these topics have already been covered. :)

Everybody Jump (http://what-if.xkcd.com/8/)

Sunless Earth (http://what-if.xkcd.com/49/)

deathandtexas
03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Just popping my head in to note that the omission of "to be" is a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.

hex_colin
03-11-2014, 11:08 AM
We're going to be talking about this thread for years to come... :) I might even dedicate my card to it...

Carry on...

BlackRoger
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Shockingly, both of these topics have already been covered. :)

Everybody Jump (http://what-if.xkcd.com/8/)

Sunless Earth (http://what-if.xkcd.com/49/)

Silly people, they haven't figured out you have to jump at an ANGLE.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Just popping my head in to note that the omission of "to be" is a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.

We were going to include "to be" in the thread title, but Shakespeare's ghost threatened to sue us. Talk about OP (original poet).

funktion
03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
How come australia gets to play with a buffed sun but alaska only gets to play with the sun for a few hours of the day? Clearly CZE has something against Alaska. Unless this is fixed in the next patch I'm gonna contact Sarah Palin and she's gonna be pissed let me tell you.

BossHoss
03-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Is the Sun actually Hell?

First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.
So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by my hot lab partner during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that she has a restraining order against me and I still haven't slept with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic.

Our current argument, as it stands, is about the Heat given off by the sun. Therefore we all agree that the sun is obviously exothermic. This creates the likelihood of the Sun actually being Hell. Instead of nerfing the sun, all CZE needs to do is close the gates of Hell for a while.

*thx internet

funktion
03-11-2014, 11:42 AM
We need to move the Earth farther from the Sun. If global warming continues this will be our only solution, but CZE won't let us move Earth farther. We need to be able to test these things out, if they don't give us a chance to move Earth farther away how will we ever know if it wouldn't have fixed things?

Surely, no harm can come of this if we only try it for one patch cycle.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
The simple fact is that the Sun dominates energy production. Wind and water power isn't even a thing as long as the Sun is left alone. Coal and oil are just too inconsistent to be depended on and they usually run out of fuel. Steam power is cute but can't actually provide the power and longevity to be a serious contender. If CZE cares about having any kind of variance or diversity in our energy production field, something has to be done. I'm not sure what else I can say to convince people how big of an issue this really is.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Moving the earth father it might help but then there's the fear that we'll disrupt Venus' path.

funktion
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
@Disordia you're looking at it all wrong. If we just put all the water near the sun we could then use it as a steam power source. With how much heat the sun gives off, if we were able to get the wind turbines closer to the sun we could be making wind turbines for the rest of our lives and never run out of space to put them.

We just need to get our resources closer to the sun, you clearly don't understand.

funktion
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Moving the earth father it might help but then there's the fear that we'll disrupt Venus' path.

Well that's Venus's fault for not adjusting to the new "farther Earth" metagame. You adjust or you get crushed.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
There's no way we could possibly do that funktion. None of our equipment can withstand that heat. At best we might have a 50/50 chance of not burning up in that inferno, not to mention it would make us EVEN MORE dependent on the Sun.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Well that's Venus's fault for not adjusting to the new "farther Earth" metagame. You adjust or you get crushed.

Or most likely you try something new and it gets crushed by the strength and experience of the current planetary alignments.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 12:07 PM
We need to move the Earth farther from the Sun. If global warming continues this will be our only solution, but CZE won't let us move Earth farther. We need to be able to test these things out, if they don't give us a chance to move Earth farther away how will we ever know if it wouldn't have fixed things?

Surely, no harm can come of this if we only try it for one patch cycle.

Sounds reasonable. Let's just gather all of Earth's robots into a single location and get them to vent their exhaust in the same direction all at once. That should push us far enough out that we gain an extra week for partying, as an added bonus.

Freebird_Falcon
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
but what about the precession of the equinoxes? When the Age of Aquarius begins, the great water bearer will most certainly dowse the Sun!!!

Axle
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
http://img0.etsystatic.com/019/0/7669328/il_fullxfull.486248900_buwy.jpg?ref=l2

Umaro
03-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Sun is fine. Nerf moon. Oceanic manipulation is enough, it doesn't need secondary sun power. Too OP.

knightofeffect
03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Sun is fine. Nerf moon. Oceanic manipulation is enough, it doesn't need secondary sun power. Too OP.

Golden

jtatta
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Another issue that could come up and isn't being discussed is that our equipment is PvE only and the Sun doesn't have any effect on PvE. The Sun cannot reach the depths of the various dungeons which means other forms of energy are in fact reliable.

mudkip
03-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Another issue that could come up and isn't being discussed is that our equipment is PvE only and the Sun doesn't have any effect on PvE. The Sun cannot reach the depths of the various dungeons which means other forms of energy are in fact reliable.

What the hell is this shit! I want a refund.

Sun should be viable 24/7.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 12:54 PM
And this is another reason Sun needs nerfed. People refuse to use anything else because of how efficient and wondrous the Sun is. It will leave them wholly unprepared for PvE dungeons.

poizonous
03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Hey Guys! Guess what??? I just found a way to Data Mine the sun. It appears that I might have a solution to all of this by simply changing the Oxygen level of the sun into a nitrogen substitute. Hence forth possibly blowing up everything associated with the sun. Should I do it? It would totally nerf the shit out of it lol

Freebird_Falcon
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Praise the Sun

*throws prism stones everywhere*

Shaqattaq
03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Some players have adapted and learned how to harness the sun to create electricity. It's fine. No nerf needed.

BlackRoger
03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
but what about the precession of the equinoxes? When the Age of Aquarius begins, the great water bearer will most certainly dowse the Sun!!!

Freebird has a point.
There are counters out there, you could all dowse it in water, it may take a few thousand years but the option is out there, and you choose to ignore it.
The Sun is fine, and anyone who thinks its OP should l2p.

Avaian
03-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Everyone is clearly forgetting about Stars. They are pretty much the same thing as the Sun except further away.

CZE needs to either buff stars to bring them in line with the sun or Remove the distance mechanic altogether.

Tinuvas
03-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Well, CZE has spoken, and they obviously didn't like my idea. I don't know what to do with my life now.

mudkip
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Well, CZE has spoken, and they obviously didn't like my idea. I don't know what to do with my life now.

Remember: down the river not across the stream.

Tinuvas
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Everyone is clearly forgetting about Stars. They are pretty much the same thing as the Sun except further away.

CZE needs to either buff stars to bring them in line with the sun or Remove the distance mechanic altogether.

Now see, removing the distance mechanic just leaves us with multiple suns, all at the same time. Yeah, like THAT'S gonna solve anything!

Of course, if we have our choice of suns, but that's still the (essentially) sole energy source, do we really have a choice?

BTW, does anyone else have the strong desire to break out singing "They Might Be Giants"???

Svenn
03-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Well, your idea was clearly right. The problem isn't with the Sun, the problem is in CZE's stance on the sun.

funktion
03-11-2014, 02:37 PM
You're forgetting about the moon. It has sockets but there are no viable gems that's the whole reason everybody forgets about it and ignores it, but it's there and has always been our friend. If CZE just implements a new gem which buffs the moon then we'll be able to harness tidal waves as energy and the sun won't be our only option.

Axle
03-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Dayman needs the sun! Without him the balance will push towards nightman and we will enter a world of darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V784AiYtG8

Umaro
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
You're forgetting about the moon. It has sockets but there are no viable gems that's the whole reason everybody forgets about it and ignores it, but it's there and has always been our friend. If CZE just implements a new gem which buffs the moon then we'll be able to harness tidal waves as energy and the sun won't be our only option.

The gem is there, we just can't scroll to the back to see it.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 03:40 PM
The gem is there, we just can't scroll to the back to see it.

True, but the resource that gives you the necessary threshold to light up the dark side of the moon hasn't been implemented yet. What good is a socketed moon if you can't activate the required threshold? This whole thing is yet another slap in the face to all non-lycanthropic players.

Diesbudt
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
If you do not like the amount of energy the sun provides, you are more than welcome to create a wormhole machine and find a parallel universe earth that has a star/sun that provides the right amount of energy that you would enjoy. CZE has set the rules of this universe, and after various billion of years of testing and a 4 billion years pre alpha test cycle,they found this universe provides everyone with a good variety mix of light, dark, hot, cold, and energy that makes the majority of the population of Earth happy.

VoidInsanity
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Some players have adapted and learned how to harness the sun to create electricity. It's fine. No nerf needed.

I am disappointed in you Shaq, comments like this just cause this place to be flooded by more meaningless topics that belong in general discussion.

Gwaer
03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Awww, I saw you as the last post in the thread void and expected better from you. What a shame.

mudkip
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
I am disappointed in you Shaq, comments like this just cause this place to be flooded by more meaningless topics that belong in general discussion.

I look forward to seeing you make them.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 07:04 PM

This post has just as much if not even more meaning than anything you've posted so I don't see why you are complaining.

We are here and talking because we are concerned about the broken power level of the Sun. If you do not care, then you can just not concern yourself with the conversation

VoidInsanity
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM
We are here and talking because we are concerned about the broken power level of the Sun. If you do not care, then you can just not concern yourself with the conversation
I don't care what you kids do to amuse yourselves. If you want to post stupid topics and have fun being stupid keep it out of the Alpha forums, which now this topic has finally been moved to its rightful place, you can now do.

Parzival
03-11-2014, 07:38 PM
No, everybody clearly has it wrong. The problem is not the sun needs to be nerfed, the problem is it's positioning!

Beck is the only sane one here, think of Pluto? Sure Cory mentioned in a blog that he was thinking of adding wormholes between universes so Pluto players could generate heat from other suns but that would only happen after release! We can fix this now.

I demand CZE swop the position of the sun and Jupiter, that way the Sun wouldn't need to be nerfed, everybody would be equidistant.

Sure theres the problem with the Sun size and mass vs Jupiter's but I'm sure CZE engineers could just rewrite the universe code to compensate, I'm mean how hard can it be?

There, problem solved, we can close this thread now.

Damn you Tinuvas, now I have a song in my head ;)

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.

Disordia
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I don't care what you kids do to amuse yourselves. If you want to post stupid topics and have fun being stupid keep it out of the Alpha forums, which now this topic has finally been moved to its rightful place, you can now do.

Hey, I was just following your example and posted something stupid and pointless, but at least my stupid and pointless post put a smile on people's faces, but I guess that's not ok. Next time I want to post a stupid and pointless thread in alpha, I gotta also make sure it makes people feel miserable to read it. Got it. I'll try to get it right next time. Thank you for correcting me.

Ju66ernaut
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, I know you have all put a lot of thought into the position of the earth's orbit in relation to the Sun; but I really feel that the Sun is not the issue. This is totally an error in how CZE has decided to implement the Time mechanic. If they would just speed time up, the Earth would spin faster and I think we'd have a much more pleasant and fluid energy harvesting system.

ossuary
03-11-2014, 08:40 PM
I get the distinct impression that Void is one of those people jtatta was talking about earlier in the thread.

VoidInsanity
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Hey, I was just following your example and posted something stupid and pointless, but at least my stupid and pointless post put a smile on people's faces, but I guess that's not ok. Next time I want to post a stupid and pointless thread in alpha, I gotta also make sure it makes people feel miserable to read it. Got it. I'll try to get it right next time. Thank you for correcting me.

Better idea, don't post stupid and pointless threads that shit up the forum. All you are doing is encouraging more of it which is why nothing constructive ever happens. If you want to follow my example post something constructive instead of appealing to all the fucking idiots that are currently allowed to troll the place.

Patrigan
03-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Guys, I do want to point out that the sun is just a defining factor of the format. I'm sure CZE has several different formats planned out, where the sun will be a lot weaker.

Some examples that they're most certainly working on:
White Dwarf Format
Red Dwarf Format
Mercury-manganese format
Double format
Black Hole Format (No sun at all, but something quite as powerful to replace it. Very cool format!)

And I really hope they implement the crazy and extreme but awesome Supernova Format. Perhaps they should run the format on the Sun, I'm sure that would create a very different metagame.

For more information on the various formats, check the page on the wiki: Format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star) and the list of various format types: Format Tyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Star_types)

Diesbudt
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I got it!!!!! CZE should shrink the galaxy to the size of sub atomic particules. With everything so small, quantum mechanics set in and just like electrons, you cannot map out its location and know its velocity at the same time. But we can assume both are happening. So with the galaxy so small Schrödinger cat theology sets in which means the sun is really close and really far at the same when not being observed. Next all that happens is everyone become blind, thus no more observation of the far-near sun means it gives the entire range of energy, thus everyone is happy. However I am sorry we would all become blind. But this would be for a great cause.

FlyingMeatchip
03-12-2014, 03:30 AM
I think canadians Would disagree.

ossuary
03-12-2014, 04:22 AM
I think canadians Would disagree.

Don't tell me what to think, eh?

Disordia
03-12-2014, 04:25 AM
I get the distinct impression that Void is one of those people jtatta was talking about earlier in the thread.

He definitely is.

Better idea, don't post stupid and pointless threads that shit up the forum. All you are doing is encouraging more of it which is why nothing constructive ever happens. If you want to follow my example post something constructive instead of appealing to all the fucking idiots that are currently allowed to troll the place.

I'll stop when you stop. :)

Disordia
03-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Guys, I do want to point out that the sun is just a defining factor of the format. I'm sure CZE has several different formats planned out, where the sun will be a lot weaker.

Some examples that they're most certainly working on:
White Dwarf Format
Red Dwarf Format
Mercury-manganese format
Double format
Black Hole Format (No sun at all, but something quite as powerful to replace it. Very cool format!)

And I really hope they implement the crazy and extreme but awesome Supernova Format. Perhaps they should run the format on the Sun, I'm sure that would create a very different metagame.

For more information on the various formats, check the page on the wiki: Format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star) and the list of various format types: Format Tyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Star_types)

They can do this, but the Sun will still probably be the Standard that CZE officially supports, so it will get the most love and attention by everyone.

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Guys, all this talk about the sun made me realize that in a few billion years the sun will be no more and this game will be unplayable.
I have no interest investing money into such a fragile game.
It was nice to meet you all, and I wish you well.
I will be moving now to the Andromeda galaxy.

Disordia
03-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Lol this guy. He ACTUALLY thinks the andromeda galaxy will outlast the milky way galaxy. Bro, do you even astronomy?

Disordia
03-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Also it has just come to my attention that the Earth may not be rotating properly. I just found that in places like Alaska, they don't see the Sun for months at a time. This feels like a very severe disadvantage, and keeps them from even being able to compete. It seems to me that Earth's rotater is broken and needs fixed. CZE should give us access to look at Earth's core to verify the rotater is broken and point out where it's broken so CZE can fix it.

ossuary
03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
I heard a rumor on TMZ that the Earth's magnetic poles are going to flip sometime soon. This is a TERRIBLE idea! CZE should announce this kind of stuff in advance, and give us a chance to comment on it, instead of just making arbitrary changes to fundamental / core systems. This is a slap in the face to compasses everywhere.

Avaian
03-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Also it has just come to my attention that the Earth may not be rotating properly. I just found that in places like Alaska, they don't see the Sun for months at a time. This feels like a very severe disadvantage, and keeps them from even being able to compete. It seems to me that Earth's rotater is broken and needs fixed. CZE should give us access to look at Earth's core to verify the rotater is broken and point out where it's broken so CZE can fix it.

The rotation of the Earth is fine. You just need to design your Earth better.

I heard a rumor on TMZ that the Earth's magnetic poles are going to flip sometime soon. This is a TERRIBLE idea! CZE should announce this kind of stuff in advance, and give us a chance to comment on it, instead of just making arbitrary changes to fundamental / core systems. This is a slap in the face to compasses everywhere.

I agree, think of the birds.

Tinuvas
03-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Damn you Tinuvas, now I have a song in my head ;)

The sun is mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.
Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.
YES! My job here is done!

I got it!!!!! CZE should shrink the galaxy to the size of sub atomic particules. With everything so small, quantum mechanics set in and just like electrons, you cannot map out its location and know its velocity at the same time. But we can assume both are happening. So with the galaxy so small Schrödinger cat theology sets in which means the sun is really close and really far at the same when not being observed. Next all that happens is everyone become blind, thus no more observation of the far-near sun means it gives the entire range of energy, thus everyone is happy. However I am sorry we would all become blind. But this would be for a great cause.
...and I should have stopped at Parzival. My head hurts from the awesomeness. This place has got to be the fusion of entertainment and enlightenment for the ages. :)

Cory_Jones
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
I just wanted to jump in... the SUN is in alpha, we hope to launch the beta soon, please give us time, I think the final version of the SUN will be amazing :)

Disordia
03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to jump in... the SUN is in alpha, we hope to launch the beta soon, please give us time, I think the final version of the SUN will be amazing :)

How soon is soon though? Is there a scheduled release date for beta?

Diesbudt
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Have you accounted for the possible solar flares that can set back the alpha and even beta time in your "soon" time estimate?

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

If we're already on the subject, have you given thought to your monetization plans?
Will we be paying per degree celzius or farenheight?

mudkip
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
I just wanted to jump in... the SUN
don't do that, it's hot

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 09:56 AM
don't do that, it's hot

Mud did I ever tell you you're a genious?

ossuary
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
If we're already on the subject, have you given thought to your monetization plans?

If they don't convert the prices, it's unfair for those of us who have to use the Fahrenheit scale. And don't even get me started on those poor bastards who are stuck using Kelvin. Every pack costs like $2.73 more than anyone else pays. What a gyp!

Chark
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM

I can comment on this: you'll be paying for both. There will be multiple usage tiers. If you exceed the usage thresholds for the first tier, your rates will go up (and so on). We'll also cap you at a certain arbitrary rate that you'll only discover when you hit the cap. Also there's a 2 year contract...

Disordia
03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
I can comment on this: you'll be paying for both. There will be multiple usage tiers. If you exceed the usage thresholds for the first tier, your rates will go up (and so on). We'll also cap you at a certain arbitrary rate that you'll only discover when you hit the cap. Also there's a 2 year contract...

Dammit chark! This is why everyone is leaving your galaxy! Everyone is flocking to the andromeda galaxy as it is. Despite the frigid temperatures due to everlasting blizzards on their planets, people still are flocking there. I don't think people will enjoy the constant cold temperatures nearly as much, but everyone else is there..

We need quicker response times and.better policies or we'll lose everyone

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Speak for yourself, thats way better than my internet provider contract.
At least Chark is warning me he's gonna screw me over ahead of time, nowadays they don't even give you that.

Disordia
03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Well duh. They get you emotionally or financially invested in the plan before they reveal the screwing. At that point you don't want to leave since you are already invested in it. It's Business 101. I mean take look at that neighboring galaxy. I can't remember the name offhand, but they specialize in arts and electronics. They promise the world and then nickel and dime people into submission for their services. As soon as people try to leave, they give them a sweet new deal on something shiny to reel them back in. Poor bastards.

If you're going to nickel and dime them, you can't tell them upfront. You're killing your business before it has a chance to draw people in.

mudkip
03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Mud did I ever tell you you're a genious?

Not recently.

Seems fairer than most phone contracts.

Umaro
03-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Last I checked, we were 'near' an Alpha (Centauri) sun, but it wasn't attainable yet.

Tinuvas
03-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Last I checked, we were 'near' an Alpha (Centauri) sun, but it wasn't attainable yet.

We've been waiting for Centauri access forever. We were promised, then given some line about castles and sausages. I just hope it makes it into beta.

ossuary
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Incidentally, I'm very upset that my Kelvin joke didn't get any response at all. Your reaction was approaching absolute zero. That joke was better than you acted. Philistines.

Disordia
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Boo double post.

Tinuvas
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Incidentally, I'm very upset that my Kelvin joke didn't get any response at all. Your reaction was approaching absolute zero. That joke was better than you acted. Philistines.

That's just cold man.

Disordia
03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Sorry, I ignored it because I thought your Kelvin joke was bad and the quality was so low it was subzero.

Kilo24
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Sorry, I ignored it because I thought your Kelvin joke was bad and the quality was so low it was subzero.

Stop being so negative. Sure, it really wasn't up to the same degree as the Fahrenheit/Celsius joke, but, honestly, none of them were that hot in the first place. It just looked like absolute zero because no one moved to respond.

Gwaer
03-12-2014, 01:50 PM
The entire time the sun has been going we have not had flying cars. Personally, I think flying cars are much more important, so I vote for removing the sun and having a flying car mechanic put in its place.

Umaro
03-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Stop being so negative. Sure, it really wasn't up to the same degree as the Fahrenheit/Celsius joke, but, honestly, none of them were that hot in the first place. It just looked like absolute zero because no one moved to respond.

I feel like you're just fission for jokes now. The sun has caused enough conFusion in this thread. Let's brighten up the mood in here and shine a new light on this issue.

Avaian
03-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Let's brighten up the mood in here and shine a new light on this issue.

This would be great if CZE hadn't recently implemented the cloud mechanic in my area, limiting the amount of light I get from the sun. I feel this mechanic is unfair and needs to be removed.

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Is the Sun still bugged?
There is a big storm here and I haven't seen the sun for days.
At the beggining I assumed CZE Removed the sun last patch for fixes.
Now I'm starting to wonder wether is this a bug or working as intended?

Jinxies
03-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Is the Sun still bugged?
There is a big storm here and I haven't seen the sun for days.
At the beggining I assumed CZE Removed the sun last patch for fixes.
Now I'm starting to wonder wether is this a bug or working as intended?
Don't worry! Sunlight is handled manually by CZE sometimes you'll have to wait up to three business days before they send it to you. If you haven't gotten it by Friday you should send in a support ticket.

BlackRoger
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
3 days?
Geez CZE has got to work on the speed of light.
This just won't do.

DackFayden
03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
3 days?
Geez CZE has got to work on the speed of light.
This just won't do.

I was running some HARD HITTING numbers on this statement

The Sun earth distance: ~149,600,000 km --> 149600000000m
Speed of light: 299792458 m/s

Dimensional analysis:

s/m * m * min/s * hr/min * days/hr ---> Units we want

Do math:

CZE needs to get this stuff done in around ~8.3 minutes.

funktion
03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
The other night I had just gotten off work, it was kinda late. I ran into this guy and his behavior was really strange even though the Sun wasn't out. I have a feeling that he's discovered some super sweet sideboard tech, I plan to investigate further and let you guys know as soon as I've figured out his deal.

Maybe you can help me figure out what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

DackFayden
03-12-2014, 10:15 PM
The other night I had just gotten off work, it was kinda late. I ran into this guy and his behavior was really strange even though the Sun wasn't out. I have a feeling that he's discovered some super sweet sideboard tech, I plan to investigate further and let you guys know as soon as I've figured out his deal.

Maybe you can help me figure out what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

WHY THE HELL is he not mainboarding that?

This is meta-defining. CZE really needs to get on top of this. I foresee major balancing issues.

FlyingMeatchip
03-13-2014, 03:52 AM
This has to be the Thread of the Light Year! You made my week Disordia, Thanks!

Turtlewing
03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Everyone seems to be ignoring the most important issue...

Will be be able to trade the Sun or will it be system bound?

Disordia
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Everyone seems to be ignoring the most important issue...

Will be be able to trade the Sun or will it be system bound?

Much like the starter decks, they are not tradeable, but every system starts with one for free.

ossuary
03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
If you are extremely lucky, you will get a binary or "primal" pack, which will contain 2 suns instead of 1.

Simo46
03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Oh, to be so grossly incandescent...

Nekosluagh
03-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Are we going to have to wait long for additional masses of gas? I think they won't get many new sales once we all have gone through the first one unless they put set 2 out at a fairly quick pack...

ursa23
03-15-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm worried about a delay in getting to market. I watched Cosmos, and it seems entire galaxies are already working on their own suns. Is CZE going to be able to stay ahead of the pack? I particularly am interested in some of the stuff coming out of the Crab nebula, some suns we've never seen before.

FlyingMeatchip
03-17-2014, 03:42 AM
Let's not forget a nerfed sun will reduce the power of a Full Moon. Just think no more crazies in the middle of the night driving the cops nuts.