PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Toggle on/off for looking for challenge in proving grounds.

Kolokee
03-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Just something as simple as a red or green dot to signify who in the proving grounds is looking for an invite to play a game. It would really help indicate who is ready to play and who is afk or not looking for a game.

Then maybe if they're afk with a green dot accidentally toggled next to their name, have it turn red if they don't accept an invite.

Don't think it would be too difficult to program in, but I'm not a software engineer so I don't know.

Also, on a side note. If someone challenges you to a game, a sound notification would be awesome, for when people are alt tabbed.

Thx, and great work so far guys.

Kolokee

Tinuvas
03-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Agreed, especially if it simply sorted by color for you. This would be nice.

Kroan
03-13-2014, 02:11 AM
This feature would only be useful in Alpha and therefor not wasted time.

eimerian
03-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Yes, please do this.
And you don't need a red/green light, just have the challenge button next to the names disappear, when those players don't lfg.

This feature would only be useful in Alpha and therefor not wasted time.

Explain this please.
Casual challenging with constructed decks will always be a part of the game, as far as i know.

Kroan
03-13-2014, 04:25 AM
Explain this please.
Casual challenging with constructed decks will always be a part of the game, as far as i know.
Because people won't be in the proving grounds unless they want to be challenged / play someone. In alpha we're all just hanging there since it's the only place.

There is also a huge "Play" button you can click if you don't wanna challenge random people. It's there for a reason, use it.

Kolokee
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Chat is view-able from the home screen and the proving grounds doesn't really provide any extra social benefit for hanging out.

I think most of the time people originally go to the proving grounds to look for a game, then maybe can't find an opponent right away and get distracted with something outside of Hex and afk, or by default they come back to the proving grounds after they've completed a game and forget to leave the grounds once they're done, again leaving their name visible while afk.

The functionality and matchmaking style of the future Hex client is still unknown, but as long as the proving grounds is a lobby style system, there will always be a chance for people to accidentally afk in it. Which is why I feel there should be some discernible way to identify who is actually ready to play.

Even if the proposed toggle LFG feature isn't implemented in alpha, it is something to consider moving forward to Beta or release, for whatever matchmaking system they intend to use if that system runs the risk of this same afk problem.

If Crypto already has it all figured out, excellent! I made this post as a mere suggestion of something to consider, in case they hadn't already.

mudkip
03-13-2014, 08:41 AM
I think the idea is that the matchmaking system will eventually work and this won't be necessary.

Xenavire
03-13-2014, 08:56 AM
I think the idea is that the matchmaking system will eventually work and this won't be necessary.

As long as they have options to challenge people one to one, then this is the best option. However, it would be counter intuitive for everything to be done by matchmaker.

Yoss
03-13-2014, 08:57 AM
I agree that this system is not needed, for the reasons stated above.

Tirc
03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why I can hit the play button and it just sits there counting and no challenger comes through on the other end. If you are typing lfg in the chat window then you are seemingly up for playing any random opponent, so press the play button and you will be matched up with someone. If you are wanting to play against someone specific then challenge them. If you do this as is seemingly intended, there is no need for a toggled status.

Kolokee
03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
I haven't had much luck with the play button but as more people use it, it will be more effective. I'll keep trying it out.

mudkip
03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
As long as they have options to challenge people one to one, then this is the best option. However, it would be counter intuitive for everything to be done by matchmaker.

Yes and no. I don't think everything should be done through the system, only random challenges.

If you're looking for a random fight, you use the matchmaking system, so the flag isn't needed. If you want to challenge someone specifically, then they're probably expecting your challenge, so the flag isn't needed.

Xenavire
03-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Yes and no. I don't think everything should be done through the system, only random challenges.

If you're looking for a random fight, you use the matchmaking system, so the flag isn't needed. If you want to challenge someone specifically, then they're probably expecting your challenge, so the flag isn't needed.

Sorry, I might not have been clear, I meant your idea was the best one, not the OP. Fully agree with you on all fronts.

We do need a meeting place for challenges though, if we can't simply challenge by r-clicking a name in chat or something.

Chark
03-13-2014, 11:01 AM

This is the goal. We probably won't make intermediate improvements to proving grounds between now and its final form.

Dralon
03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
I am for this option if the system remains where you have to enter the proving grounds to challenge the AI . Many times I have had to decline challenges or have someone likely wait on me while I was in between AI games.

As at this point the game will launch without PVE many players may be in the proving grounds who do not wish to pVp.

Yoss
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Dralon, if you're just looking for a random opponent, you're supposed to use the "Play" button and let the matchmaker find your duelist.