PDA

View Full Version : Difficult but fun variant using base game and expansion

atheist4thecause
03-13-2014, 03:41 AM
My friends and I created a variant that uses the base game and the expansion. It's pretty difficult, but it is also fun. Here it is:

The Setup:
You take the main deck of the base game and the main deck of the expansion and put them in separate piles. You also take the Super Villains from both games and put them in separate piles (be sure to start each pile off with Ra's Al Ghul and Vandal Savage). Use the Kicks and Weaknesses from both games.

The Line-Up:
The line-up uses 3 cards from each deck. When someone buys a card from the base game, you replace the empty slot with a card from the base game main deck. When someone buys a card from the expansion, you replace the empty slot with a card from the expansion main deck.

The Gameplay:
The game is played the same as the original variant for the most part with a few exceptions. In this variant you can buy Super-Villains from either stack, and if you have enough you can buy both.

Another difference is that everybody gets attacked by 2 Super-Villains. When someone buys one Super-Villain, the Super-Villain that is available from the other stack does his attack again. After that attack is completed, you then flip over the Super-Villain from the stack that was just bought from, and he attacks everybody.

The End:
1) The game ends when all of the Super-Villains from BOTH stacks are defeated. (After one stack runs out of Super-Villains the other stack has to be defeated, but you will only be attacked by the one Super-Villain like in a normal game.) After both stacks are defeated, the players total up their Victory Points and the person with the highest total wins.

2) The game also ends if EITHER deck runs out of cards. In this case, the Super-Villains win.

3) Lastly, the game can end if somebody gets off the Power Ring win condition with Kyle Rayner.

House Rules:
-I'm not a big of everybody losing when a deck runs out of cards (end condition #2 in the previous topic), so if you are like me you can implement a Lone Survivor house rule, in which everybody adds up their Victory Points after either deck runs out and the person with the most Victory Points survives. The Super-Villains still win, but at least you escape with your life.

-Some cards need rulings/changes. There are main deck manipulation cards. Take Trigon, for instance, who can look at the top 2 cards of the main deck. We ruled that you can take 2 from either deck or 1 from each. The Super Hero Shazam! can pull from either deck. Jon Jonezz (Spelling?) can copy either Super-Villain, but not both. We also made a house rule where Green Arrow's Bow only reduces the cost of one of the Super-Villains by 2 for each one you played.

As you play, you will run into different cards and situations, but most of the rulings are pretty obvious. Just agree on the rules as you run into them, and remember the rulings for next time. You can take some/all of my recommendations or make up your own rules. I hope you enjoy the variant we created, and I'd love to hear about the variants you created as well.

Zuty
03-13-2014, 07:10 AM
I like the sound of this a lot. My group already plays with six cards in the line-up (because five is an odd number), but playing with three from each game seems like it will be fun.

I do have one question though: When a card manipulates the main deck have you tried the rule of only letting them pick one deck or the other and not both (in the case of Trigon or Riddler)? And if so, how well did that work out? Just curious.

~Zuty

atheist4thecause
03-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I like the sound of this a lot. My group already plays with six cards in the line-up (because five is an odd number), but playing with three from each game seems like it will be fun.

I do have one question though: When a card manipulates the main deck have you tried the rule of only letting them pick one deck or the other and not both (in the case of Trigon or Riddler)? And if so, how well did that work out? Just curious.

~Zuty

We do not do it that way, but that is the alternative way to do it for Trigon. I just think it limits the amount of decisions and potential fun for no reason. With the Riddler, his ability can activate multiple times each turn, so I don't see why it would ever be limited. If you have 6 power + Riddler it's not as if you are taking 2 cards off the top once. You are taking 1 card off the top twice. Both decks are available and I just don't see the point from a balance standpoint to not allow players to pick. But like I said, with Trigon, his ability actually is take 2 cards 1 time from the top so it makes sense to only allow the cards to come from one deck. We just think that's less fun, but it really comes down to what you and your friends think will be the most fun. The key with house rules is always consistency.

Zuty
03-16-2014, 06:23 AM
So I played a few solo games of this using Raz, Vandal, and 4 other Super-Villains from each of the sets for a total of 10 Super-Villains.
I have to say ... I had a lot of fun. It's the first time I mixed the two sets, so I was seeing loads of new interactions that I am sure you are all aware of by now.

I think my favorite thing about this variant is that you actually end up limiting the line-up. Sure, you're playing with six cards in the line-up, but it's only three cards from each set. The one game, I was playing as Batgirl and bought several good Heroes early on from both sets. I was looking for ages for a Bat Signal to flip up so I could bounce back some of these Heroes I was playing, but there were too many goodies coming from the Unite row that I stopped buying the base set cards. Because of that, it took me several turns of buying the best possible of the three base set cards just in the hopes a Bat Signal would flip over. That helps add a new level of strategy if you are looking for other cards from one of the sets.

I used both the rule you made for looking at the top card of the Main Deck and the one I was curious about and preferred the option you suggested of being allowed to look at either or both decks. Again, it added another level of strategy. I really enjoyed this variant a lot and will certainly be playing it with my friends the next chance we get.

~Zuty

atheist4thecause
03-16-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm glad you liked it. :D I also forgot to mention that we use 2 Super Heroes. I'm not sure if 1 or 2 is better as I haven't played with just 1 (my friends don't seem to want to try only 1 lol), but I'm sure you can do this variant both ways. We give out 1 Super Hero from each set to each player. But thanks for trying it out and posting your thoughts. If you have more thoughts on it after playing with your friends or if you have your own variants feel free to post. I'm always down for learning new styles. :)

Zuty
03-17-2014, 04:54 PM
The first few games that I played of this I was using one Super Hero (Batgirl mostly) and it worked surprisingly well. Late game I started having issues though. I tried a game using two Super Heroes last night (Batgirl and Martian Manhunter) and boy, did I DESTROY it when I splayed solo. I won't be able to play with my friends for a couple of weeks, but if it plays like how it did when I played solo, it should be fast paced and fun.

~Zuty