PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Keep "Beta" tag until PvE launches

knightofeffect
03-14-2014, 03:30 PM
I must say, I'm pretty excited and encouraged about the progress that we've seen over the last month. As Colin has hinted, the rate of progress is likely to accelerate as we seem to be quickly approaching some sort of "beta" status.

What the title implies is merely a semantic suggestion that hinges on first impressions.

We all know that the word "beta" has come to mean little in the arena of product testing and more as an stop-gap for missing and/or buggy features while providing an opportunity to soft "launch" a title for publicity. Recently, we have seen another online CCG become quite successful even during a somewhat prolonged monetized "beta".

In the coming months, everyone is agreed that we will see the game go from alpha -> closed beta -> monetized/open beta-> PvP launch -> PvE launch or something close to that effect.

I'm simply purposing that the distinction between monetized beta and PvP launch be blurred. Perhaps announced that the PVP side of Hex is live, but Hex is still in beta; something that could excite new players to get in on the ground floor while providing the typical fallback of "beta is beta" to help explain any temporary shortcomings and keep the player base forward-looking to the full game (PvE included).

I've seen several games make the alpha-beta-live transition and the initial reception of any PC game, particularly something in the MMO-sphere, can be particularly important with sentiment generally leaning towards the judgmental (putting it nicely). Like everyone else here, I want this game to put its best foot forward and not prematurely overshadow the future PvE launch with a majorly publicized "full-launch" of Hex with just PvP.

PS - As we approach closed beta and certainly in open-beta, I'm sure we will experience a forum-wipe and reorganization. Will CZE provide us ol' alpha testers some forum to communicate with each other into the future? Like most games I've been with since day 1 of alpha, it feels like we had a hell of a journey together (for better or worse) and it would be cool to stay in touch. If not, I'll start looking to friend people =)

Yoss
03-14-2014, 04:33 PM
In the coming months, everyone is agreed that we will see the game go from alpha -> closed beta -> monetized/open beta-> PvP launch -> PvE launch or something close to that effect.

I'd put it like this:
Alpha
Closed Beta (very short?)
Monetize (AKA Beta, AKA PvP Launch)
Official Release (AKA PvE Launch)

That's my best intrepretation of how they're currently planning things. As soon as they monetize PvP, the PvP portion of the game is released, no matter what title they use.

knightofeffect
03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Maybe if I had gone back and re-read exactly what Cory said (as I just did) before I made the topic, I wouldn't have posted based on an erroneous recollection.

It seems that the Closed PvP Beta will actually be monetized and that PvE features are promised soon after (and during) the launch of Open PvP Beta... So pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Cheers!