PDA

View Full Version : Alternate idea if you find Kyle Rainer OP...

Blackbird_13
03-18-2014, 02:50 AM
After getting into the game a bit.. we've found Kyle Rainer to be overpowered when playing two players (note that we generally play with both full decks, 40 weaknesses, and 36 Kicks).

That said, tonight, after winning yet another heads up game with him (1 out of every 5-7 heads up games are won this way in our group).. I suggested that his text is changed to ".. you END the game". Meaning.. if you play Rainer and three Power Rings.. the game ends there, and cards are counted as normal to determine a winner. Obviously, if you aren't comfortably in the lead.. you wouldn't want to do this (and may well just not play that third Power Ring in your hand)... but it's also a good strategy to ruin an opponent's endgame, or cut things off if you feel like you're getting ready to get a beatdown. Haven't actually tried it yet though..

Any thoughts on that text?

atheist4thecause
03-19-2014, 12:45 AM
I think that if you really want to change Kyle Rayner that this is a good change, but I think it's an unnecessary one. I would suggest trying to play differently. I don't understand how you guys are getting the combo off so much. It's actually more difficult to do with both decks. You have to get him, then get 3 Power Rings or Plastic Man's, then draw them all in your hand and play them with Kyle Rayner. My guess is that you guys are passing up on taking Super-Villains, which gives the combo player more time to combo. Also, if you attack the opponent with things then you water down their deck and make it harder for them to get off. And yeah, you have to buy Power Rings and Plastic Man's sometimes in order to block the other person when they have Kyle Rayner. Also, if you play with 12 Super-Villains over 8 then you are lengthening the game and helping out the combo player. Personally, I like 10 the best, but to each their own. JMO's.

Zuty
03-19-2014, 06:13 AM
I too do not understand how so many people are managing to get this combo off. Even when I try, I just end up wasting time and losing anyway.

If Kyle Rainer were an issue, I think your suggestion is good.

~Zuty

kmonarq7
03-19-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm 50 games in now, and I haven't seen it happen yet. I've prevented it twice from happened because of forcing discards and swapping hands. I wanna get the Holy Trinity, but havent been close yet.

Blackbird_13
03-19-2014, 10:56 AM
My apologies.. I left out that we also generally play the hidden Super Villains variant, which means that you have both entire decks worth of time to pull off Rainer.

Getting Arkillo makes pulling off a Kyle Rainer victory extremely easy (pulls out all equipment... Skeets puts a hero on top of your deck... quite a few draw cards are equipment.. or if you have New Genesis....)

atheist4thecause
03-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Ah. That makes more sense. Another way to change him is just to take off the win condition part of it if it is really that powerful, which I could see it being. Or yet another idea is to up the amount of Power Rings you have to play in one turn. Maybe instead of 3 you have to play 4 or 5. Your idea was fine, though.

Allete
03-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Ive seen it happen very little but have never really tried a full game yet with both sets.

Just a question tho, is the "Power Ring" from the first set considered a Power Ring for Kyle Reiner's card effect?

AaronH
03-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Ive seen it happen very little but have never really tried a full game yet with both sets.

Just a question tho, is the "Power Ring" from the first set considered a Power Ring for Kyle Reiner's card effect?

Yes. They also count toward the VP value of the new Power Rings at the end of the game (though they are still only 1 VP).

Blackbird_13
03-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Yes.. a Plastic Man or Clayface can also copy a Power Ring and count for a Power Ring.