PDA

View Full Version : Should I slacker backer?

yezdegerd
03-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi there, just heard about this game from the Hearthstone forums. Since I can't stand that game but am itching to get into a TCG I would like to try Hex but don't want to miss out on a closed beta slot. Is slacker backer the only guaranteed ticket in or will they be accepting anyone who signs up on the website before then?

GrinningBuddha
03-18-2014, 11:40 PM
They've made no announcements on when they're going to be accepting non-backers into the forthcoming beta. To guarantee your spot, I highly recommend buying a slacker backer package before April 1st. It gets you immediate (give or take a couple days) access to the alpha and beta, $50+ worth of cards/boosters and 3 months of VIP subscription which is worth another 12 free packs ($24).

Hex is amazing on many levels, if you're a TCG fan you won't regret the investment IMO.

Cernz
03-18-2014, 11:41 PM
slacker backer is the last chance to join the closed beta i think, and if you donate
before 1. april you will be able to play hex all the time ;), and trust me, it is much
better than hearthstone (even it is not that polished at the moment).

yezdegerd
03-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Awesome, ordering now. Thanks for the responses!

Kroan
03-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Welcome and have fun. It's an amazing game!

mach
03-19-2014, 02:16 AM
It gets you immediate (give or take a couple days) access to the alpha and beta, $50+ worth of cards/boosters and 3 months of VIP subscription which is worth another 12 free packs ($24).

Please don't mislead potential backers. It just leads to drama later.

You get 25 boosters, which has a list price of $50. It will likely have an actual value of somewhat to substantially less than $50 due to all the supply from the KS rewards as well as other factors. The same goes for the boosters from the VIP program (and isn't that only 8 boosters anyway?).

hex_colin
03-19-2014, 02:47 AM

You get 25 boosters, which has a list price of $50. It will likely have an actual value of somewhat to substantially less than $50 due to all the supply from the KS rewards as well as other factors. The same goes for the boosters from the VIP program (and isn't that only 8 boosters anyway?).

These mythical "cheap" KS boosters won't be around for too long. I'll be buying any I can get my hands on at $1 - $1.50 ASAP. I won't be the only one... The price will very quickly return to close to retail levels. If anything, that increases the value proposition of being a Slacker Backer - you'll maybe have access to cheaper packs before they're all gone.

Khazrakh
03-19-2014, 03:47 AM
These mythical "cheap" KS boosters won't be around for too long. I'll be buying any I can get my hands on at $1 - $1.50 ASAP. I won't be the only one... The price will very quickly return to close to retail levels. If anything, that increases the value proposition of being a Slacker Backer - you'll maybe have access to cheaper packs before they're all gone.

And you won't be alone here colin.
I don't actually believe we'll see any boosters hit the AH for 1$ or even less, but I'm sure going to buy quite a lot if they ever get that cheap!

MDRockstar
03-19-2014, 05:35 AM
Do it! This game is the next big thing. :D Much more potential than Hearthstone.(i played Hearthstone for about 10 days and i'm already bored..But it's still a good game.)

BossHoss
03-19-2014, 06:36 AM

3 months = approx 91 days = 13 weeks
So it is possible you would actually be getting 13 packs with a retail value of $26

mudkip
03-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Awesome, ordering now. Thanks for the responses!
Welcome!

With all of your backings, aren't you going to already have thousands of packs? What if there's 100,000 packs on the AH selling for $0.99, how many are you going to buy? Isn't hoarding Set 1 packs a poor use of capital?

Xenavire
03-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Welcome!

With all of your backings, aren't you going to already have thousands of packs? What if there's 100,000 packs on the AH selling for $0.99, how many are you going to buy? Isn't hoarding Set 1 packs a poor use of capital?

Resale, years down the line? He could potentially earn a decent chunk of his investment back (kickstarter investment, not the booster investment.)

Or he might want to use those boosters for giving away, community events, or even just drafting for fun. Colin knows best why he wants them though, but I see all of these reasons as valid.

mudkip
03-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Resale, years down the line? He could potentially earn a decent chunk of his investment back (kickstarter investment, not the booster investment.)

Or he might want to use those boosters for giving away, community events, or even just drafting for fun. Colin knows best why he wants them though, but I see all of these reasons as valid.

True.

I think Colin has more money than me and I have no decent experience with TCG, so this is all fascinating to me :)

Xenavire
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
True.

I think Colin has more money than me and I have no decent experience with TCG, so this is all fascinating to me :)

I have never known anyone as rich/generous (in the same package) as Colin is. He is a mystery, and an all around awesome guy. And to be honest, while I can see the reasons he would want cheap boosters, it fascinates me too :p

hex_colin
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Mostly these, and LOTS of drafting. I draft to win sometimes, but, more often that not, I draft to pick up a couple of cards I never play with and make a crazy deck with them. ;)

I'm also planning to support, and play for, a PVP team - that'll involve card support, singles and packs.

I'm not trying to make money from my "investment" at all, just really excited about having another way to spend my (limited) free time.

Finally, I will keep a stock of unopened boosters for every Set over time, but mostly just to have, and for reminiscing, doing historical drafts, etc.

Aradon
03-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Don't forget that unopened packs are basically 'tickets' or 'rolls' for mercenaries and other special event goodies. Hoarding (cheap?) Set 1 boosters for future events could be an easy way to save a bit of money, if you're bound and determined to get those neat things like Gax.

Xenavire
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I thought as much.:p

By PvP team, do you mean you already have one? Or are you going to create one? And is it similar to a guild, or would you have a team and a guild at the same time? I have never been part of a PvP team so it is an interesting thought.

mkafna
03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Yep I just joined 1 week ago and i m starting to warm up to the game considerably even though I've been a little grouchy re art and fonts lol

But I'll be on CJs back continually until I see those fonts improved :).

wutae
03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Mostly these, and LOTS of drafting. I draft to win sometimes, but, more often that not, I draft to pick up a couple of cards I never play with and make a crazy deck with them. ;)

I'm also planning to support, and play for, a PVP team - that'll involve card support, singles and packs.

I'm not trying to make money from my "investment" at all, just really excited about having another way to spend my (limited) free time.

Finally, I will keep a stock of unopened boosters for every Set over time, but mostly just to have, and for reminiscing, doing historical drafts, etc.

Sign me up for that pvp team !!

securitron_ch
03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I've been playing Magic since 96 and found Solforge this week, basically I was looking for a cheaper drafting experience than Magic. Did a bit more digging around new TCG's and found Hex. I slacker backed and then came to read this thread to make sure I didn't mess up. Bummed I missed the KS, the draft 4 L level would have been awesome. Looking forward to getting alpha/beta invite though :)

Assuming I like the game, I will happily buy cut price boosters from those looking to offload some.

Stok3d
03-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Hi there, just heard about this game from the Hearthstone forums. Since I can't stand that game but am itching to get into a TCG I would like to try Hex but don't want to miss out on a closed beta slot. Is slacker backer the only guaranteed ticket in or will they be accepting anyone who signs up on the website before then?

Welcome to Hex. Seeing threads like this makes me smile. I'd love to see the thread that brought you here :)

To answer your question, feel fortunate you have been provided an opportunity to get into this game early with exclusives. Back w/o question.

yezdegerd
03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I've already found a major positive to this game and I haven't even logged in yet, this community! Coming from the Hearthstone forums where everything is an argument or QQ thread I find these forums a breath of fresh air. With the exception of Hearthstone it's been years since I've played magic ( I remember opening boxes of Ice Age boosters ) but with the ability to now play online my hobby/passion for deck building/strategy is back in full force. Plus opening packs is almost as exciting as "maritals". :)

mach
03-20-2014, 12:46 AM
I've already found a major positive to this game and I haven't even logged in yet, this community! Coming from the Hearthstone forums where everything is an argument or QQ thread I find these forums a breath of fresh air.

I think that's largely because of the phase the game is in. Communities tend to be a lot better when they mostly consist of early adopters/die-hard fans.

If Hex makes it big, I expect the forums to plummet in quality very quickly.

hex_colin
03-20-2014, 01:48 AM
When Hex makes it big, I expect the forums to plummet in quality very quickly.

Fixed that for you! ;)

meetthefuture
03-20-2014, 01:55 AM
I think that's largely because of the phase the game is in. Communities tend to be a lot better when they mostly consist of early adopters/die-hard fans.

If Hex makes it big, I expect the forums to plummet in quality very quickly.

Yeah, people who are here now will move to some small or/and closed communities or skype conferences probably..

Kroan
03-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Maybe we'll get a backer forum at some time, to preserve the original backers group-kind-of-feel.

Khazrakh
03-20-2014, 02:19 AM
Maybe we'll get a backer forum at some time, to preserve the original backers group-kind-of-feel.

That's a great idea. No need to have it right now, but down the road that would be a nice addition.
You could always allow new people into the closed part of the board based on the quality of their posts.

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Backed yesterday and already got my invite email! Downloading now. Only major downside is I'm at work.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Backed yesterday and already got my invite email! Downloading now. Only major downside is I'm at work.

I wouldn't worry, server is still being patched right now.

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Hah yeah I just tried to log in :( Probably should be paying attention to the advice I'm doing anyway.

cinderblock
03-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Bought Slacker Backer this morning, been hoping for an email all day so I can play tonight. :) hope it comes soon, I just now made forum account so I hope that didn't slow things down. See you guys soon!
edit: how long did it take most of you to get key after donating? itching to play

Jinxies
03-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Keys are sent out manually in batches and normaly take 1-3 buisiness days, hopefully you'll get it today otherwise I'm afraid you'll havr to wait until the beginning of next week.

cinderblock
03-21-2014, 12:04 AM
yikes, ok thanks for the reply. :)

yezdegerd
03-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Had issues with Paypal but it finally got resolved in time for me to pay today. Can't wait!

Ju66ernaut
03-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Had issues with Paypal but it finally got resolved in time for me to pay today. Can't wait!

Welcome Yezdegerd!

yezdegerd
03-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Just checked my account info and apparently it never updated when I changed my email info last week. I'm hoping it didn't slow down the process, I wanna Hex! I'm assuming they don't send out the emails over the weekend in which case i should be OK ^_^

Ju66ernaut
03-24-2014, 05:48 AM
You're right in your assumption, they send invites Mon-Fri in batches.