PDA

View Full Version : Down time?

mkafna
03-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Just wondering what time hex will be down tonight Melb Aus time?

Thx

Mejis
03-20-2014, 03:46 AM
Hello fellow Melbournian,

Should be around 4 AM I think. Patch is normally done and servers back up by the time I get up at 6:30/7 AM so hopefully should be the same tomorrow.

mkafna
03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that, I just tried to login and it wouldn't let me. Are you having difficulty logging in?

Where in melb are you from?

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for that, I just tried to login and it wouldn't let me. Are you having difficulty logging in?

Still down for patching. It's been a long one - 5 hours and counting. Just be glad you slept through most of it ;)

Mejis
03-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Yeah servers were still down before I left for work.
Are they back up? Did you manage to get in.

I'm actually a Pom, but moved here 5 years ago. In South Yarra.
You?

Will add you in game (can we do that now?) when I get on over the weekend.

Shivdaddy
03-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Still down. =(

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Man, imagine the guys at headquarters - 7 hours of work and still going. Poor bastards.

bojanglesz
03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
They accidentally deleted the game

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 05:40 PM
They accidentally deleted the game

That would be an epic screwup! The emergency calls to tech guys to try and recover files...

Honestly though, I am certain that this is a bug that we want fixed. They wouldn't just mess around for 8 ish hours for no reason.

bojanglesz
03-20-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't have background in software development, so I ask this ignorantly (and not to make fun), but how can you screw up something like a new, relatively feature-less patch? Can the simplest things go awry or do you all believe they're doing some infrastructure work as well that didn't go as planned?

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't have background in software development, so I ask this ignorantly (and not to make fun), but how can you screw up something like a new, relatively feature-less patch? Can the simplest things go awry or do you all believe they're doing some infrastructure work as well that didn't go as planned?

I am no expert myself, but my best guess is that a server locked up, or some data in the login server got corrupted, or some other 'minor' thing with a large negative impact. After talking with Alan over the last week, it sounds like even the simplest things can be resistant to things that should fix them.

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 06:01 PM

I'm coming here from MTGO so I'm already conditioned to downtime.

fido_one
03-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Who knows how many million lines of code they have between the server systems, clients, brokerage services, etc. All it takes is one misplaced character in one of those lines of code to screw up the whole works.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm coming here from MTGO so I'm already conditioned to downtime.

Well this is the longest downtime since the start of alpha. By almost 4 hours (I actually think more than 4 now.)

Werlix
03-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Remember that the things we see in the patch aren't the only things that are happening each patch. They're also slowly introducing new architecture for future systems. I imagine implementing one of these large new systems (auction house for example) must be an epic undertaking that can have multiple chances to screw up and require hours of fixing. I am a web developer for a game company so I have a bit of an understanding how complex these systems are.

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Well this is the longest downtime since the start of alpha. By almost 4 hours (I actually think more than 4 now.)

Need a pretty massive downtime to compete with MTGO v2.0

Gwaer
03-20-2014, 06:09 PM
It's back up now, but everyone has to do a repair install.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:10 PM
It's back up now, but everyone has to do a repair install.

So much happy!

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 06:15 PM
It just started downloading files automatically. Does that mean it is doing a repair install or do I need to physically click that button again after the first lot of files finish downloading?

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
It just started downloading files automatically. Does that mean it is doing a repair install or do I need to physically click that button again after the first lot of files finish downloading?

I am wondering that myself. It seems like a forced repair, but I am going to repair anyway, just to be sure.

securitron_ch
03-20-2014, 06:40 PM
There doesn't seem to be a problem with clicking it, it just runs a check over the files.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:42 PM
There doesn't seem to be a problem with clicking it, it just runs a check over the files.

It tends to be slow though. Speaking of which, for go round took 15 mins, starting a repair to be sure.

EDIT: Second go round done.

mkafna
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Great part of Melbourne, I live in Thornbury. I got in recently and there doesn't appear to be any new features added. Patience. Is that your game client name, ill add you in the game client.

Mejis
03-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Great part of Melbourne, I live in Thornbury. I got in recently and there doesn't appear to be any new features added. Patience. Is that your game client name, ill add you in the game client.

Yeah name is mejis in game. You?

Thornbury, nice, had some friends who lived there but they just moved.

mkafna
03-21-2014, 02:26 PM
My client name is salahedin, hope to see you on their soon:D