PDA

View Full Version : More 2-drop common troops are needed

kingneb
03-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I wanted to share my experience from a few Hex drafts. I'm having a blast playing the drafts but I've noticed a severe lack of quality 2-drops at common. It feels like I'm forced to prioritize them much higher than I do when I play other CCG's. I almost 3rd picked a Wild Child just to have another 2/2 for 2. I'm not saying there needs to be 5 per color or anything drastic like that but I'd love to see more 2/2's for 2 at common across more colors.

Otherwise, looking forward to more drafts!

Eierdotter
03-20-2014, 01:17 AM
yea seems odd to have like 20 playable troops on the 3 cost slot
and like a hand full on 1 or 2

but a usefull 1 or 2 drop is usually a rare... so that fixes it for constructed
having more 2 drops would really be great, some 1/3's, 2/1 speed, 2/2, 0/4 defensive etc.

Khazrakh
03-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Not every Draft environment needs an abundance quality 2-drops. Looking at Magic there have been sets where 2 drops where really strong and a lot of the meta revolved around them (looking at you Gatecrash) as well as editions where you didn't have to care for them to much.

Besides there actually are some very strong 2 drops at common quality:

- Wild has the Feral Ogre (3/2 crush - way ahead of curve)
- Ruby has the Arena Brawler (3/1 - not as good as the Ogre obviously, but still a strong threat, single treshhold and an orc) as well as the Ruby Pyromancer (2/1 and strong inspire effect, one of the best commons in the set)
- Diamond has the Grim Skull Sorcerer (2/1 and a minor socket, strong card) as well as the Rigid Buffalo (2/3 - ahead of curve, although not as good as the Feral Ogre)
- Sapphire has the Thunderbird (1/1 flying Rage 1 - maybe the best 2-drop in the game so far)

There are also some other good 2 drops at common quality (Moon'ariu Sensei / Bombsmith) and so far only blood seems to lack a solid common 2 drop.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Grim skull sorceror is now a 1/2 and minor socket, not 2/1.

ossuary
03-20-2014, 05:30 AM
There are also some other good 2 drops at common quality (Moon'ariu Sensei / Bombsmith) and so far only blood seems to lack a solid common 2 drop.

Shroomshaw is pretty good in many types of decks. Sure, it only has 1 attack, but it's also 3 blockers for the price of one. Couple that with either Adamanthian Scrivener or Blood Bearer, and you get some extra life in the deal as well. Pretty handy for only 2 resources.

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:05 AM
I forget, is shamed gladiator common? Because it can be decent as a 2 drop with the right gems.

ossuary
03-20-2014, 06:13 AM
No, it's uncommon. The only other common 2-drop troop in Blood (that we know of) is Determined Zombie.

Edit: reading this thread reminds me again how crazy it is that Thunderbird is common. :p

Xenavire
03-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Yeah, hoping that is patched to uncommon today haha.

Khazrakh
03-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Shroomshaw is pretty good in many types of decks. Sure, it only has 1 attack, but it's also 3 blockers for the price of one. Couple that with either Adamanthian Scrivener or Blood Bearer, and you get some extra life in the deal as well. Pretty handy for only 2 resources.

True enough, been thinking more in the lines of good = aggressive, but you're right, Shroomshaw is a decent drop without question.

wasichu
03-20-2014, 08:25 AM
i think there are plenty of 2 drops for set one, we have to remember this is set one.