PDA

View Full Version : New Windbourne Acolyte Art?

Aradon
03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I found http://www.deviantart.com/art/Windbourne-Acolyte-438357772 while I was browsing DeviantArt. The artist is the same artist who created the Kismet art, so he's obviously on the CZE team and is legit. My question is: Why do we have a second piece of art for Windbourne Acolyte?
Any theories or news I haven't heard?

Maphalux
03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Could be alternate art. Very nice looking.

YourOpponent
03-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Could be AA for the Collector's tier....or AA for the chests.

Axle
03-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Thank you for the laugh :D.

DanTheMeek
03-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Just for the record, I really like that artists work, so if he is doing alternate arts for cards, I would be quite pleased with that. Including his amazing Kismet art (which I also loved despite all the controversy it caused), he has a very smooth, almost other wordly feel to everything he draws (or at least that I've seen on his deviant art) that makes it look uniquely his own, but feel super natural in way that can be hard to put to capture. Definitely would love to see his take on anything super natural or other worldly in future card art as well.

Mahes
03-22-2014, 06:08 PM

I would think DD for the chests.

DanTheMeek
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I would think DD for the chests.

Ba Dum Tish!

Norious
03-22-2014, 07:32 PM
i like that alternate art indeed! At least CZE is not going for the teen boy crowd like some online card games like Legend of Cryptids

Aradon
03-22-2014, 08:09 PM
i like that alternate art indeed! At least CZE is not going for the teen boy crowd like some online card games like Legend of Cryptids

Frankly, I think this art (and quite a few from the rest of his gallery) is exactly in line with the typical Legend of the Cryptids pandering art. I think that a great majority of the art CZE's commissioned so far is miles above that, but this gallery specifically doesn't exacctly support your statement, I think.

Zomnivore
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Could be AA for the Collector's tier...

I hope not.

If it is, it needs a lot of work to be at the level of polish where I'd be excited to see that on a card.

hammer
03-24-2014, 01:53 AM

The Collector AA cards are all Rare of Legendary so Windbourne would not fit here. Must be for the chest like Hex Engine AA.

warstriker
03-24-2014, 06:16 AM
The Collector AA cards are all Rare of Legendary so Windbourne would not fit here. Must be for the chest like Hex Engine AA.

True, only rare and legendary cards qualify for the Collector AA cards. This has been confirmed by CZE during the kickstarter.

hex_colin
03-24-2014, 07:49 AM
True, only rare and legendary cards qualify for the Collector AA cards. This has been confirmed by CZE during the kickstarter.

Do we have a verifiable conformation for this? I can't ever remember seeing that in black and white (or hearing it in an interview).

There will be lots of ways to get AA, and lots of cards that have AA, without them being exclusive to or distributed to the KS Collector tier.

Kroan
03-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Do we have a verifiable conformation for this? I can't ever remember seeing that in black and white (or hearing it in an interview).

There will be lots of ways to get AA, and lots of cards that have AA, without them being exclusive to or distributed to the KS Collector tier.
It was quoted during the kickstarter from questions asked in either comments or mail. If I would be shadowelf (may he be happy wherever he is) I'd find the post for you.

I'm gonna be pretty sad if that was misunderstood/misquoted. Because an alternate art 1/1 flier is not something I'm gonna be excited for as one of the $250 tier rewards tbh

Gwaer
03-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I vaguely remember this. I believe it was said that the collector AA's specifically were going to be selected because of their either high value, or rarity. But I don't remember it specifically saying it couldn't be common or uncommon. But it may have. =\

Still collectors aren't the only way to get AA. This could be for any number of things.

Prophecy
03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Chest worthy only

RobHaven
03-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one reading all of this AA talk and thinking, "Damn...Crypto is straight up diabolical with this shit."? There's no way I won't go broke(r) trying to put together a full set of every card, plus a playset of each AA card.

hammer
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Hmm this was posted one day after this tweet "The first exclusive alt art promo for Collectors is in. I'm really digging this piece over the card's typical art". I really hope this isn't the same ... An unplayable common is not the reason I got collector. I read on the forums and backed because the collector alt arts were going to be playable rare or legendary. I mean hex engine was in a chest so makes some sense this is for a chest also but man the correlation to the time of the tweet :(

hex_colin
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Hmm this was posted one day after this tweet "The first exclusive alt art promo for Collectors is in. I'm really digging this piece over the card's typical art". I really hope this isn't the same ... An unplayable common is not the reason I got collector. I read on the forums and backed because the collector alt arts were going to be playable rare or legendary. I mean hex engine was in a chest so makes some sense this is for a chest also but man the correlation to the time of the tweet :(

Just playing Devil's Advocate... but...

Surely the playability of the cards chosen for Collectors AA is irrelevant? The whole point of the tier is getting AA versions of cards that you can't get by any other means, rather than a way to stealthily pick up playsets of the "best" rares/legendaries.

Personally, I'd rather they were chosen based on the best art (I know, so subjective...) rather than any other characteristic of the card.

hammer
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Surely the playability of the cards chosen for Collectors AA is irrelevant? The whole point of the tier is getting AA versions of cards that you can't get by any other means, rather than a way to stealthily pick up playsets of the "best" rares/legendaries.

Personally, I'd rather they were chosen based on the best art (I know, so subjective...) rather than any other characteristic of the card.

The whole point is to play them to show them off, not let them gather digital dust because they don't see play.

Kroan
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM

Not exactly. The whole idea behind collector's tier is getting cards that hold a certain collectible value. This is based on availability and demand. If there is no demand (ie an Acolyte), it's not really getting any collector excited... at all.

Gwaer
03-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Warstriker posted this a long time ago as a response to a question he asked CZE during the KS

Cryptozoic Entertainment

Tuesday May 28 2013, 5:09pm EDT

Hello Mark,

They are all rare or legendary cards in the normal set.

Thanks.
Missing_thumb
Mark Doezé
Sunday May 26 2013, 3:59am EDT

Hey CE,

Question about the collectors tier. The alternate cards, are they all rare/legendary cards or not? I suspect they are because of the price tag, but I would appreciate to have some confirmation about it.

Thanks,

Mark

I remembered reading it, but it took forever to find =/

Once again I am not set on them sticking to this necessarily, but I think demand should be a factor in which cards get collector AA's. There's just really no way to tell what rares and legendaries, or even commons and uncommons will really have demand, until after there is a working marketplace.

Aradon
03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Big thanks to Gwaer for finding that quote. I thought I had read similar, but was not sure where I had seen it. I had ruled it out as Collector AA for that reason before I made my initial post, and would have been rather disappointed if it were one of the six AA's. No, they don't all have to be pricey cards to start with, but I am much less interested in getting fancy/shiny versions of cards that will rarely see the light of day, vs. cards I can pimp my EDH decks out with, when that day comes.

I had forgotten about that AA Hex Engine, though. I would say there's a good chance this is a similar AA for treasure chests like that. Which makes me quite excited for treasure chests, and very intent on racking up that gold!

Kroan
03-24-2014, 12:50 PM
It would be nice to have CZE either deny or confirm officially what's up with the rarity or how they pick cards for the collector AA. Rather clear it up right now before we continue to have certain expectations :)

hex_colin
03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
It would be nice to have CZE either deny or confirm officially what's up with the rarity or how they pick cards for the collector AA. Rather clear it up right now before we continue to have certain expectations :)

Well, given that we have confirmation (from the KS) that the Collector AA will all be Rare or Legendary, then this AA must be from something else. :) Not unexpected, it wasn't like KS Collectors were going to have a monopoly on all AA.

Xenavire
03-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, given that we have confirmation (from the KS) that the Collector AA will all be Rare or Legendary, then this AA must be from something else. :) Not unexpected, it wasn't like KS Collectors were going to have a monopoly on all AA.

I just hope that some of the cool art is available to all us poor chumps :p I mean that AA Ozawa... I love Ozawa, but I have the feeling that the AA is going to be impossible for me to get. Especially since I am one of those guys that is OCD about playsets matching - getting 4 sounds impossible.

Kroan
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
The Ozawa can spawn from chests during the next GenCon. So I think there is a chance for everyone to get one of those as well. Also there is the AH ofc.

hex_colin
03-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I just hope that some of the cool art is available to all us poor chumps :p I mean that AA Ozawa... I love Ozawa, but I have the feeling that the AA is going to be impossible for me to get. Especially since I am one of those guys that is OCD about playsets matching - getting 4 sounds impossible.

Well, the Ozawa AA will randomly be in chests generated during GenCon 2014 (assuming we can open real packs by then). That's the plan for all Con/Holiday-specific cards. Now, whether or not you can/will open enough chests to get a playset is the perennial problem with all TCGs. Likely the AH will be a better bet...

Xenavire
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Well, the Ozawa AA will randomly be in chests generated during GenCon 2014 (assuming we can open real packs by then). That's the plan for all Con/Holiday-specific cards. Now, whether or not you can/will open enough chests to get a playset is the perennial problem with all TCGs. Likely the AH will be a better bet...

Yeah, I am more worried about the droprates than anything else. I am happy for the chance for it, but even if we can open boosters by that time, the competition for those AA cards will drive prices up. I may just have to save my pennies for GenCon and see if I can pick up my set, because that is one of the few AA cards I really want so far.

Kroan
03-24-2014, 02:36 PM
I just want one for my collection :) Pretty happy to pay for it, if I need to

hex_colin
03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I am more worried about the droprates than anything else. I am happy for the chance for it, but even if we can open boosters by that time, the competition for those AA cards will drive prices up. I may just have to save my pennies for GenCon and see if I can pick up my set, because that is one of the few AA cards I really want so far.

Problem solved! You should definitely go to GenCon - it was a blast last year!

Xenavire
03-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Problem solved! You should definitely go to GenCon - it was a blast last year!

Sadly, not an option in any of my foreseeable futures. I would need to win a lottery to be able to afford it (even with saving etc.) Maybe in a few years?

Kilo24
03-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Sadly, not an option in any of my foreseeable futures. I would need to win a lottery to be able to afford it (even with saving etc.) Maybe in a few years?
Well, all the AAs are freely tradeable. I personally plain to take advantage of that fact for some exclusive convention cards, Ozawa likely included.

Faxanadu
05-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I just got one of these on an uncommon chest spin. It has a rarity of purple and was placed between my rares and legendaries when I sorted by rarity.

Kami
05-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Please don't necro very old threads.

Bullus
05-22-2014, 08:16 AM
I found http://www.deviantart.com/art/Windbourne-Acolyte-438357772 while I was browsing DeviantArt. The artist is the same artist who created the Kismet art, so he's obviously on the CZE team and is legit. My question is: Why do we have a second piece of art for Windbourne Acolyte?
Any theories or news I haven't heard?
my money is on her being Ashahsa a PVE merc Windbourne Acolyte, i have 4 of em from chest rolls and it is just a head shot at the moment, but looks to be exactly cropped from that pic (as well as being AA art of Windbourne Acolyte)

edit: also how is 2 months "very old" thread, and while i am at it, grrr at writing dates in US format.... will never make sense to me the format you guys use for dates