PDA

View Full Version : How will the game cater to "less-pro" players?

Lonenut
03-25-2014, 01:27 PM
One of the things I'm finding right now, which is partially result of the limited communities, is that games "for fun" are tremendously hard to find.

MTGO has struggled with this for a long time too. People make games specifically asking for non tier-1 decks, because sometimes it's fun to play your tribal deck, or your jank deck, or whatever. But if 75% of the people you face are just running tier 1 aggro-burn, you don't really have much of a point to your deck.

The immediate solution is, of course, to make friends and let them know what you're hoping to accomplish, but with a giant online community it's absolutely critical to provide other avenues for this.

Some solutions MTGO implements, such as running pauper formats, EDH/Commander, Highlander decks, etc.

But what other ways are there to allow players to quickly and easy find "fun" games where they can safely play their ruby/sapphire/diamond inspiration deck without running up against ruby/emerald aggro all the time?

Edit: I wasn't sure whether this better fit in general or alpha, so I posted it here. Please feel free to move it if appropriate.

Xenavire
03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
One of the things I'm finding right now, which is partially result of the limited communities, is that games "for fun" are tremendously hard to find.

MTGO has struggled with this for a long time too. People make games specifically asking for non tier-1 decks, because sometimes it's fun to play your tribal deck, or your jank deck, or whatever. But if 75% of the people you face are just running tier 1 aggro-burn, you don't really have much of a point to your deck.

The immediate solution is, of course, to make friends and let them know what you're hoping to accomplish, but with a giant online community it's absolutely critical to provide other avenues for this.

Some solutions MTGO implements, such as running pauper formats, EDH/Commander, Highlander decks, etc.

But what other ways are there to allow players to quickly and easy find "fun" games where they can safely play their ruby/sapphire/diamond inspiration deck without running up against ruby/emerald aggro all the time?

Well, guilds will help immensely (speaking of which, I am still recruiting for my own guild. Hopefully guild creation isn't too far off, because I really want to use those features.)

I don't think we will be seeing casual queue's near the start, but it might be a goal in the future (unlikely however.) Wild west seems like another likely bet. Making friends will probably be the go-to option for a long time, but I don't doubt that CZE has a plan for it.

Mejis
03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Good question.

I wonder if we could have some kind of Casual or Fun lobby in the client. You go there specifically to play with the kind of decks you mention.
If there are no rewards then there's no incentive for people to want to go in there to trolling with tier 1 decks.

Hopefully this would encourage good, fun play. You could even say in the lobby chat room "Hey I've made this crazy deck and I want to test it out, who would like a game?"

From what I've seen so far, I'm hoping the HEX community is going to have plenty of players willing to do this.

Thoughts?

Thrawn
The primary answer is probably PvE.

Yoss
This has come up before. I believe the main suggtestion was to have separate lobbies for different play types. The most simple and obvious division would be to have a Competitive Lobby and a Casual Lobby, but the old thread had a whole bunch of ideas for how it could work.

Lonenut
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I think both guilds and a casual lobby are great ideas, and easy to implement.

I'm hoping that Crypto can also come up with a few ideas for ways to "enforce" a casual environment on some lobbies too. Not because I like the idea of enforcement, but because I think having a thriving community of casual players leads to a thriving community that welcomes NEW players, which feeds more players into the overall scene.

Being welcoming to players of all stripes is critical to having a really great community. Being unable to enforce rules somehow leads to trolling, and we all know we're online.

Lonenut
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
This has come up before. I believe the main suggtestion was to have separate lobbies for different play types. The most simple and obvious division would be to have a Competitive Lobby and a Casual Lobby, but the old thread had a whole bunch of ideas for how it could work.

Ah, my bad. I looked for the thread but didn't see one.

Xenavire
03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Ah, my bad. I looked for the thread but didn't see one.

Don't worry, it was so long ago that you would have been forced to necro it, which is against the CoC.

Yoss
03-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it's been so long that I don't even remember the thread name in order to do a search for it. I just remember reading something like this last year.

noragar
03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Without knowing the specifics of how difficult it will be to level cards and unlock the foil/AA, I'm probably going to be starting off trying to level up at least one of each card. So there will be times I'd be hanging out in the Casual lobby looking for someone to play against with my Techtonic Break deck.

Gulbech
03-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Hope they implement 2hg (2 headed giant) - and multiplayer soon, as it is great fun and often more casual.

YourOpponent
03-26-2014, 02:55 AM
PvE would probably be your best bet for a casual experience. Especially for things like Tectonic Break which should be pretty interesting in a raid with the proper equipment pieces that go with it...I think one of the pieces applies the effect from that to all cards in the decks as well.

Yuhan
03-26-2014, 03:00 AM
This is the reason it has PvE.

RobHaven
03-26-2014, 06:19 AM
If there are no rewards then there's no incentive for people to want to go in there to trolling with tier 1 decks.
If there are achievements like, "win without taking damage" or "do 40 damage in a turn," you'll find plenty of T1 decks looking for an "easy" stomp against an unsuspecting opponent.

Xenavire
03-26-2014, 06:31 AM
If there are achievements like, "win without taking damage" or "do 40 damage in a turn," you'll find plenty of T1 decks looking for an "easy" stomp against an unsuspecting opponent.

We haven't been told if there are account level achievements, but there are card achievements. I just hope none of those are 'abuse worthy'.

Maphalux
03-26-2014, 07:01 AM
If achievements did exist for casual play, there would be nothing to stop people from just creating a free alt account to play against to get quick achieves if they really wanted them. I'd guess that there wouldn't be achievements for something like that just for that reason.

Xenavire
03-26-2014, 07:39 AM
I just remembered another tidbit that will help casual players and newbies - guild deck rentals, from the guild bank. Now that's a sharing is caring feature if ever I saw one, and perfect for new players.