PDA

View Full Version : Live interview with Cory Jones April 1st 3pm Pacific

infam0usne0
03-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Hey guys, just letting you know that myself and j_tatta will be giving Cory a grilling about the upcoming HEX: Shards of Fate Beta on April 1st at 3pm Pacific on my channel

http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0

If you have any questions that you would like me to ask him please let me know below, i can't promise that all of them will make it but we'll ask him all we can. If you want to know anything then please let me know and i'll try my best to get the question to him.
We should be taking some questions from the stream on the day too. If you can't make it the interview will be posted on http://hextcgpro.com so you can catch up.

Hope to see you there guys!

The timezones right now are very very confusing what with some people moving forward and hour and some people not. The time for the interview is 3PM PDT
The easiest way for you to work out what time the interview is, is to compare your own current time to PDT and work out the difference.
You can find the current time in PDT here.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/time-zone/usa/pacific-time/

ossuary
03-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Just make sure your channel is set to record, for those of us not available at that time. :)

rockchops
03-27-2014, 06:09 AM
The probability of April Fools jokes here, is too damn high.

ossuary
03-27-2014, 06:18 AM
The probability of April Fools jokes here, is too damn high.

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvWGLcdI8o8

infam0usne0
03-27-2014, 06:43 AM
haha it's not a joke, if it was it would be a terrible one.

Thrawn
03-27-2014, 07:23 AM
haha it's not a joke, if it was it would be a terrible one.

Most April 1st jokes on the internet are terrible, that's what makes it suspect. Even if the interview is real anything big Cory says will be suspicious as an April 1st joke. :D

knightofeffect
03-27-2014, 07:55 AM
I've got a question: Given the amount of rebalancing and changes made to set 1, what are the plans for testing and balancing future sets? Purely internally?

Kroan
03-27-2014, 08:02 AM
I've got a question: Given the amount of rebalancing and changes made to set 1, what are the plans for testing and balancing future sets? Purely internally?
I think the idea is to have questions specifically about the upcoming beta.

In that trend; is there a planned downtime (i.e.: a few days of no hex at all while we switch from enviroments)

mudkip
03-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Talking about terrible internet April fools jokes, are CZE going to be taking on the tradition for some fun? Blizzard always goes all out with it, so I'd love to see CZE have a go.

My vote is for "Scratch and sniff" cards to be implemented.

bojanglesz
03-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Is beta actually close? Haha

hex_colin
03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Talking about terrible internet April fools jokes, are CZE going to be taking on the tradition for some fun? Blizzard always goes all out with it, so I'd love to see CZE have a go.

My vote is for "Scratch and sniff" cards to be implemented.

Nah, surely they'd need to go with "Breaking News, the Shuffler Randomization in Broken!" or "No More Mulligans! Just CHOOSE Your Starting Hand!" ;)

ossuary
03-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I vote for "We've been acquired by Facebook!" Because timely. :p

hex_colin
03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
EoC BUFFED! We took out the X, because well, Wild should just win every time... ;) Cost 1 - Play All Creatures in your deck. They all have Speed, Invincible, Crush, Flying and can attack immediately regardless of whether or not you've already used your combat phase this turn.

Edit: I'll stop hijacking Neo's thread now. He needs questions for Cory! You know you want to know when the Bear Fight will happen!

YourOpponent
03-27-2014, 09:34 AM
How long do you think it will be before closed Beta starts?

Will the KS rewards be released at open Beta or sometime later in closed Beta?

Could all of the Beta players please have a Kyle Wrestling the Bear themed mercenary or a Kyle troop that summons bears for the opposing champion and gets stronger after each bear he wrestles?

What is the current plan of when lotus garden will start spawning spectral lotuses?

Could PvE raids have a "Enrage timer" for after so many turns if the players are still on the same phase? I don't like to ask that, but I could see how otherwise players could just be piling on the troops on phase 1 and then not attacking so that they could get through phases 2 and 3 quickly.

What are your thoughts about an Item of the month that people pay platinum for and is only available for that month. Nothing game breaking of course, but something such as an alternate art mercenary or alternate art card.

When can we look forward to equipment pieces? Can we try them out in Wild West before dungeons?

When does it look like we will be able experience our first Hex Con?

Cernz
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
How much money is left from the backers, is there a need for more money to "finish" HEX as the game CZE want it to be?

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
I totally think CZE will go all out for April fools if they can spare a few minutes. Look at all the other holidays - they love every chance to be goofballs. If anything, the biggest joke would be to not do any jokes. We wouldn't expect it!

hex_colin
03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
How much money is left from the backers, is there a need for more money to "finish" HEX as the game CZE want it to be?

I'm all about openness and transparency. But that is NONE of our business.

Lonenut
03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

"How much money is left from the backers" is not an appropriate question.

But asking whether they're going to need to monetize the existing player base AGAIN before releasing to the wider public absolutely is. I think we all want to hear that they've got enough funds to take the game to a live state without monetizing us.

If not, we're in a bad place that could result in all of the backers spending even more money on something that never succeeds.

Kickstarter funds were to get the game to release so that they could start monetizing everyone, not just kickstarters.

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

I have to agree here. If we hear a dollar amount, bricks will be shat. Shit. Shitten?

Anyway, it would lead to very toxic complaints.

Khendral
03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
- Now that mercenaries are tradeable, will they be affected by the 660k stretch goal and/or Collector tier bonus?
- What plans do you guys have for the Pro Player tier tournament? During Beta or after release? Constructed/Sealed/Draft?
- What is Cory wearing? (^_^)

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Serious question, will there be a 'pre release' for set 1? I would happily buy into an event and take part in a community building moment.

Scammanator
03-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Question for Cory:

In your second blog post you explained the "Might" system for Champions in Dungeons. While this system does sound like it makes for a great Dungeon experience, the removal of Champion-based leveling in favor of account-based leveling makes me concerned about whether I will be able to feel invested in my Champion. If I have two Ranger Champions on my account, what decisions can I make to differentiate them from one another and make them feel unique?

bojanglesz
03-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Can you release your 2014 pro forma income statement and balance sheet, along with cash flow projections for the next 5 years.

Axle
03-27-2014, 10:23 AM
If you are doing something with the kickstarter tiers that were refunded please don't raffle them away. I'd rather upgrade my Squire
:(.

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 10:26 AM
If you are doing something with the kickstarter tiers that were refunded please don't raffle them away. I'd rather upgrade my Squire
:(.

I think everyone involved would consider an upgrade. I would happily go collector or guildmaster - both if I could afford it.

ossuary
03-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm still secretly hoping a relative or friend bought me a Pro tier and hasn't told me yet. :p

Cernz
03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
"How much money is left from the backers" is not an appropriate question.

But asking whether they're going to need to monetize the existing player base AGAIN before releasing to the wider public absolutely is. I think we all want to hear that they've got enough funds to take the game to a live state without monetizing us.

If not, we're in a bad place that could result in all of the backers spending even more money on something that never succeeds.

Kickstarter funds were to get the game to release so that they could start monetizing everyone, not just kickstarters.

You are right, this might not be an appropriate question, but this fact will be the most important one for this game, especially due to that huge delay etc..

of course they wont give us some data about their financial situation, but maybe we geht some positive feedback as you mentioned in your post.

i only want the game to be succesfull and i would put in more money if needed.

Shaqattaq
03-27-2014, 11:08 AM
It's not an April Fools joke. Tune in on Tuesday for Q&A with Cory on Twitch!

Tinuvas
03-27-2014, 11:25 AM
It's not an April Fools joke.

They SAY that... ;)

Nah, it sounds cool. What aspect of the game that has NOT been released yet (at that point obviously) is Cory most excited about?

Thrawn
03-27-2014, 12:14 PM
The obvious big questions everyone really wants to know is release time frames. When is beta, when is PvE, etc. etc.

But of course those are questions he won't want to answer because if they way "We are hoping to maybe launch beta with rewards in September if everything goes well." people will be screaming about broken promises if it isn't out by September 2nd.

My question would be along the lines of - "Do you have any plans for how to maybe push or market Hex at local games shops, or LANs or similar places." If I went into my friendly local game shop where tons of people played Magic I'm sure I could sit on a laptop and do Hex drafts and have a lot of people asking me what it was. It would be interesting to have things in place to encourage stuff like that.

Norious
03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
The Sun has yet to be nerfed. When can I get a refund

Werlix
03-27-2014, 01:26 PM
How far away are large scale, swiss-style tournaments from being implemented? Will we see these in closed/open beta? Will the client allow players to schedule their own tournaments? Eg Could Hex TCG Pro setup their monthly tournaments through the client?

Yoss
03-27-2014, 01:42 PM
In order of importance to me:

Questions:
Will it be possible to "start fresh" on PvE from an existing account by creating a new "player character" (see additional question below) or will one be forced to make a second account? If the latter, how does that work with the KS rewards then?

Questions:
A "player character" in an MMO is a persona, controlled by a single player, that represents progress in the game. Creating a new character is equivalent to starting the game over. It is generally expected that one may have multiple player characters per account. What constitutes a "player character" in Hex? Is it a Champ? A lord/lady of a Keep? Something else?

Questions:
The naming in Alpha went through multiple iterations. For example, when I chose my name, I was not allowed multiple capital letters, but my friend who came in a few days ago was allowed to. Will we be allowed to rename our accounts when we move from Alpha to Beta? If so, then before we choose names this time will we be given full disclosure of the full scope of naming restrictions and what an account structure will be including: account, keep(s), champion(s), PvP, PvE, and so on and how those will be affected by our name choice? How many name tiers are there within an account and what is the scope and display method of each? For example, is the account-level name for PvP only and will we have multiple keeps and get to name each Lord/Lady separately? Will we get to name each champ within each keep?

Questions:
Multiple community members have requested a Hex API for 3rd party development. Will there be a Hex API system of any kind? Will it be informational only (to be displayed outside of client) or will it allow modding (to interact in some limited way in-client)?

Question:
Being forced to use something like Trade Chat to accomplish market transactions is painful. What is the reasoning behind forcing Plat/Gold trading into a player-to-player trade chat rather than allowing it on the Auction House?

Lonenut
03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Seriously, though. If you don't ask whether they'll be forced to monetize before opening to the general public, you'll have seriously let us down.

Thrawn
03-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Seriously, though. If you don't ask whether they'll be forced to monetize before opening to the general public, you'll have seriously let us down.

Of course they are, if they need the money or not they are still going to say they need to test those systems before going live to the general public.

Kilikaji
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Will they be inviting any waves of non-backers during the closed beta? There is still that beta signup on the frontpage but maybe that is just to notify when open beta starts.

Silent
03-27-2014, 02:43 PM
It's not an April Fools joke. Tune in on Tuesday for Q&A with Cory on Twitch!

Anything on those of us asking for something official about whether or not we will be able to rename our keeps, when the beta starts? Some of us are considering to buy another slacker backer to at least have some option of namechange. Asking Cory on the 1st of April is too late after all.

infam0usne0
03-27-2014, 02:45 PM

I believe it has already been stated that the beta will be monetized, as it should be

hammer
03-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Question:What’s your favorite dungeon? What can you tell us about it?
Question: What is your thought process in selecting cards to comission Alternate Arts?

BenRGamer
03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Question: Can we get a time frame on when KS stuff will be given out?
Question: While PvP Set 1 is close to being 'locked in,' what about the PvE set? Will those also be 'locked in' on release?

decoy11
03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
I am going to ask some questions based on the kickstarter info last year because it has been almost a year and things change so I would like to know if anything changed.

Question:
When will guild functionality be implemented? Practice with friends using the guild deck bank, or join guild sanctioned tournaments still in?

Question:
Auction House ETA and what is CZE fee %5? minimum fee?

Question:
Do you have any info on game boards? Kickstarter stretch goal was extra 5.

Question:
Do you have any starter decks info and dragon's blood kickstarter exclusive. Any hints at what each has?

Question:
How much work has Chris Woods done on the Ai deck building tool? When should we expect to see it?

Question:
What happened with the Hex Novel from a famous writer?

Question:
Codex Crytozoia was the last goal we reached on kickstarter when will the weekly web guide start?

Question:
When is playback support coming?

Question:
What is Cryptozoic stance on modding? E.g. replacing art, client side only?

Question:
Last question is the philosophy and core principle for Cryptozoic still “fans first”?

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Question: Codex Crytozoia was the last goal we reached on kickstarter when will the weekly web guide start?

We know a few of those answers (at least partially) but I want to point out that we did in fact reach every goal, but the kickstarter page could not be updated once the kickstarter ended. So that 'locked' final goal is not actually locked. I know that doesn't change the question though, so proceed. :)

The answers I know off the top of my head... Starter decks are in the shop. We could use clarification on them, but we should see them firsthand in a few weeks. And the novel - we have heard that we got a writer (I can't remember where they mentioned this, but I think it was a woman.) So it is well underway.

I think that is all the semi-solid info I know. I know Cory answers would be better of course, but on the offchance the questions don't get asked somehow, you have partial answers.

My own question: Is there a future mechanic (PvP/PvE does not matter) that excites Cory, and is he allowed to 'spoil' it? I mean card mechanics (like Escalation.)

Axle
03-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Pro tier "free draft a week for life" gives you 3 packs + draft entry per week in that or does it just pay for draft entry? Just want quick confirmation :P

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Pro tier "free draft a week for life" gives you 3 packs + draft entry per week in that or does it just pay for draft entry? Just want quick confirmation :P

It was confirmed free packs. I think it was asked about a thousand times haha. I don't think it has been changed (it would upset a lot of people.)

Ju66ernaut
03-27-2014, 07:29 PM
It was confirmed free packs. I think it was asked about a thousand times haha. I don't think it has been changed (it would upset a lot of people.)

This is what I remember:

So if i go for pro player tier(Which i have choosen for now!), i get everything need for a draft every week. Will those boosters we get, be the current new set or will it always be set 1? (Really want this answered, since it decides if i should find another tier) Also we get to keep all cards used in free draft?

How the free draft works is, each week, you will have the option, when ask for product for a draft, to click 'This is my free draft this week!'
This means you can draft any set, etc. You don't have to always draft set 1 or predict the draft.
It also means it's not quite the same as "3 free boosters a week". You can't trade your free draft (it's an account level privilege), but you can trade any cards you get in that draft, as well as any prizes you get.
Hope that helps to clear it up. Think of it as a button on the draft screen rather then something we pump into your account on a weekly basis.

Source: http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/FAQ

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
This is what I remember:

Source: http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/FAQ

But the point is that the boosters are supplied for free, and you keep what you pick. The clarity of the quote is a little hazy, but yeah, thats the core of it - you can just get a free entry, no booster 'fee'.

mach
03-27-2014, 07:50 PM
But the point is that the boosters are supplied for free, and you keep what you pick. The clarity of the quote is a little hazy, but yeah, thats the core of it - you can just get a free entry, no booster 'fee'.

Free packs which you must open immediately will be worth a lot less than free sealed packs, so it makes a difference. Plus, if you just want the cards you have to spend the time to do the draft part anyway. (Though I expect someone will make a bot which auto-picks the rarest card...)

But I'm surprised that they're doing it this way. I thought they were more experienced then this. This is a problem that has come up multiple times in Magic.

Example 1: If you make day 2 of a Limited GP, you get to participate in the 2 drafts and, of course, keep the cards you open. When people weren't in contention they would just raredraft. To stop this, they offer to give players who drop before the draft the packs they would have opened in the draft.

Example 2: MTGO's MOCS gave players who got a certain number of points free entry in the monthly MOCS championship. When the format was Limited, those who qualified but were not going to play in the actual event would sign up anyway to get the free cards. To stop this, they made these events phantom.

If this is supposed to be a competitive game, you want it so that everyone is trying to compete.

Xenavire
03-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Free packs which you must open immediately will be worth a lot less than free sealed packs, so it makes a difference. Plus, if you just want the cards you have to spend the time to do the draft part anyway. (Though I expect someone will make a bot which auto-picks the rarest card...)

But I'm surprised that they're doing it this way. I thought they were more experienced then this. This is a problem that has come up multiple times in Magic.

Example 1: If you make day 2 of a Limited GP, you get to participate in the 2 drafts and, of course, keep the cards you open. When people weren't in contention they would just raredraft. To stop this, they offer to give players who drop before the draft the packs they would have opened in the draft.

Example 2: MTGO's MOCS gave players who got a certain number of points free entry in the monthly MOCS championship. When the format was Limited, those who qualified but were not going to play in the actual event would sign up anyway to get the free cards. To stop this, they made these events phantom.

If this is supposed to be a competitive game, you want it so that everyone is trying to compete.

Most people will. And only a few thousand (being very generous with the numbers here, because of multipledges) got free drafts for a year/life. When we have a few hundred thousand people in the game, the impact will be negligible. If only about 10% go in and raredraft, we are talking less than 0.1% of the total playerbase getting free raredrafts - and that number will decrease over time as players end up leaving for extended periods of time.

Lets be realistic about this - this will only be an issue over the first year, if it it is ever a real problem. I doubt free drafts are going to be a regular reward any time soon either.

decoy11
03-27-2014, 08:33 PM
More Questions i just thought of

Question:
When do you think Voice Chat will be implemented?

Question:
When will a detailed core rules or e-rulebook come out?

mach
03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Most people will. And only a few thousand (being very generous with the numbers here, because of multipledges) got free drafts for a year/life. When we have a few hundred thousand people in the game, the impact will be negligible. If only about 10% go in and raredraft, we are talking less than 0.1% of the total playerbase getting free raredrafts - and that number will decrease over time as players end up leaving for extended periods of time.

Lets be realistic about this - this will only be an issue over the first year, if it it is ever a real problem. I doubt free drafts are going to be a regular reward any time soon either.

But the first year is the critical time when they're trying to grow the game to the "few hundred thousand" mark. The problem is that the bad experiences it causes in the early days might turn people away and prevent the game from growing to the point where it doesn't matter much.

But it's also worrying that they made such an avoidable mistake, even if the eventual impact turns out to be small. I expect more from industry veterans.

Oroniss
03-27-2014, 09:41 PM
I actually thought that rare drafting is good for the other competitors though. They get to build better decks and / or get free wins when they drop. Why would they be upset? Rare drafting in Swiss might make for a poor experience for players who just want to play matches, but personally, I don't think Swiss will be the tournament of choice for dedicated rare drafting so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I seem to recall the author for the novel was Christie Golden, though I could have Hex confused with something else. She did some WoW novels and iirc some Ravenloft books too, plus other things. I've enjoyed her books a lot in the past, so looking forward to reading this one.

My questions: If open beta ends up running for some time, will they consider releasing set 2 during open beta to mix the play experience up?

Can we get some more information about the types of achievements that will be on the double backs? The only one we have seen so far is pack raptor which was cool, but for example, will all (or most) cards have a pvp related achievement, etc.

If he is willing to talk about some PvE stuff, then also:

What is a crazy piece of equipment currently planned? What were some even crazier ideas that didn't make it :D.

mach
03-27-2014, 11:07 PM
I actually thought that rare drafting is good for the other competitors though. They get to build better decks and / or get free wins when they drop. Why would they be upset? Rare drafting in Swiss might make for a poor experience for players who just want to play matches, but personally, I don't think Swiss will be the tournament of choice for dedicated rare drafting so hopefully it won't be a problem.

It's good for the other competitors if they are simply looking to maximize EV. However, many will be upset that they won't get all the matches they paid for and will have to wait an hour before their first game.

It's also not good from a competitive standpoint, as whoever is lucky to get seated next to the absent player will get more of the benefit. Wouldn't you hate to lose because your opponent had an insane deck because he got first pick from 2 packs instead of 1?

As for Swiss not being the tournament of choice, for the players we're talking about here, I expect them to just take the first queue which fires.

Lonenut
03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Free wins, a.k.a. byes are shitty. If I just wanted to open packs, I'd buy packs. I pay to actually play in a draft and compete with people.

Xenavire
03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Free wins, a.k.a. byes are shitty. If I just wanted to open packs, I'd buy packs. I pay to actually play in a draft and compete with people.

Hold on - if you win or at least place, because of those byes, then you get more boosters to draft with, essentially extending your drafting experience for nearly free. Now, you do have to grit through those byes, which sucks, but if that leads to 3 epic game later that day, or somewhere that week, I think thats a bonus, not a penalty.

ossuary
03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Eh, everyone feels differently about how they spend their time. Some people hate having to sit and waste time not playing even if it means they have a better chance of winning more (and thus playing more) later. It's still time lost right now, which to some is more valuable than any future benefit.

Others will happily take the free wins and bonus cards, as total value over time is more important than a minor time delay (or rather, minor amount of downtime - they're still IN the tournament) right now.

Different strokes, and all that. :)

Yoss
03-28-2014, 11:16 AM
It's important to note that you'll have in-client ways to use your downtime in the future, so the waiting won't be such a big deal.

Xenavire
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
It's important to note that you'll have in-client ways to use your downtime in the future, so the waiting won't be such a big deal.

This is good to remember if you can 'go infinite' for a while with byes - fill up the downtime with PvE or whatever.

Lonenut
03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Well, their target audience is people who value their time more than their money, i.e. people who want to play more than they worry about more free packs.

The people looking to "go infinite" are an integral part of the community, but since they spend less or no money they're less important as strict customers.

Thrawn
03-28-2014, 01:06 PM
This thread is starting to derail into the "We should have keep what you open drafts" thread.....

hammer
03-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Q - How are you going to handle cards with different levelled stats (Foil/Extended Art) in both the card manager and auction house.

I don't want to have to spend too much extra time hunting the exact copy of a card that I have levelled or am close to levelling etc.

Mr.Funsocks
03-28-2014, 06:23 PM
What's been the biggest unexpectedly difficult feature to implement so far? Is it accurate timetables? (with <3)

What's something I can tell everyone I know to make them want to play? I don't really have any friends so I need a good one with a high success rate for the 5 people I know.

Hrngh. I wanna play the full game so hard... Been letting my life be subsumed by work-things for long enough that I'd forgotten.

Kilikaji
03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Normally devs dont like to comment on leaks, but itd be neat to find out the story behind what happened to the leaked set 1 cards that didnt make it into the final cut of set 1.

Xenavire
03-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Normally devs dont like to comment on leaks, but itd be neat to find out the story behind what happened to the leaked set 1 cards that didnt make it into the final cut of set 1.

I second this - but I expect the answer to be vague, and along the lines of 'We found new places for a lot of old ideas, and a few were not working out and were scrapped."

Still, I want to know if I can be expecting Grave Concerns or Genesis cube any time - PvE would be enough for me!

umikami
03-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Will 2560x1440 resolution be supported and other high resolution?

rayzor
03-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Do you know when the 1 v 1 matches that do 2 out of 3 games with reserves be added? When will we be able to custom tournaments? (We get to select single elimination or swiss, 8 or 16 people, etc.)

infam0usne0
03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
The timezones right now are very very confusing what with some people moving forward and hour and some people not. The time for the interview is 3PM PDT
The easiest way for you to work out what time the interview is, is to compared t your own current time to PDT and work out the difference.
You can find the current time in PDT here.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/time-zone/usa/pacific-time/

Arivald
03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
- Will we get any hotkeys to speed up priority passing (auto yields) in Hex? If yes, will it be anytime soon? (Its a big quality of life improvement)
- First big marketing push for Hex - as soon as PvP is open for all or when at least partial PvE will be implemented?
- Will client get support for more than one match at the same time (at least in the future)?
- Out of game transactions for ingame goods - absolutely not allowed, not supported in any way or still not determined?

Kroan
03-30-2014, 11:06 AM
You can also use www.worldtimebuddy.com. Add PDT and your own timezone (best is to make PDT for this your "home"), go to the date (1st of april) and select the 3PM PDT slot . It will show you the correct time in your timezone.

I've selected CET in this example:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=8,2759794,5&h=8&date=2014-4-1&sln=15-16

infam0usne0
03-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Ok the time for questions has come to an end guys! Thanks for all your input and i hope to see you in stream on tuesday

jimmywolf
03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
thanks for doing this hope the stream goes well, wonder if it posable to also to have a Q&A cliff notes after it done?

that we can read, for those that don't want to watch the stream or can't. it would be nice to have a it as a reference too what was asked an answered.

infam0usne0
03-30-2014, 05:05 PM
The stream will be recorded and put on to youtube and you'll be able to rewatch it at any time either on my youtube, in my stream highlights on twitch or by going to hextcgpro.com

DuroNL
03-31-2014, 05:12 AM
Been reading through a lot of pages, but haven't seen this question yet:

Will we be seeing any form of 2v2 or 1v1v1v1 custom games in the Beta? closed or Open?

i know a friend and i really enjoy the 2v2's or 1v1v1v1 in Magic :D

Hopefully you can still put this question in Ne0 :P, as i saw your closing post haha

Kroan
04-01-2014, 02:09 AM
The frontpage states the wrong time by the way

HEXTCGPro.com Twitch.TV Interview with Cory – April 1st at 3 PM Pacific (20:00 GMT)
infam0usne0 from HEXTCGPro will be interviewing our own Cory Jones. infam0usne0 is gathering his questions in the HEX forums, so submit yours and be sure to tune into www.twitch.com/infam0usne0 on Tuesday to get the latest on what’s happening with HEX!
3PM PDT = 22:00 GMT (or 10PM GMT)

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=8,2751773,0&h=8&date=2014-4-1&sln=15-16

Kroan
04-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Remember people This starts in 10 minutes. Come and join:

http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0

bojanglesz
04-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Anyone have a summary?

Daer
04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Interview was great.

Kroan
04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Here are my notes of the whole interview

To recap for people who just joined.
Beta is soon (no date yet).
Drafts are 3 packs + 100 plat. Sealed 6 packs + 100 plat. Constructed 300 plat.
They're looking into "async" sealed tournament.
Errors with AH or Prizes will be reimbursed in favor of player.
AH might not be at the start of closed beta, but will be first thing to come in a patch.
Guild is the second on the priority list.
Direct trading will be close behind the AH.
Downtime will be a few days while switching over to closed beta.
People will be put into a garden based on IP. This is done because of different prizing models.
Australia is in the US garden most likely. (Who really cares? ;P )
Plan is to have (almost) everyone play together through the tournament server.
During downtime in tournaments we will be able to play PvE in the future.
There might be a email-service when your round starts in the future.
Set 1 (and most likely 2) won't have a (pre)release event.
Rewards will come in chunks. PvE rewards will come later with PvE features.
Gold-fishing is not exclusive to VIP any more. It will be replaced something else most likely.
There will be some small changes to Set 1 before it's finalized. Mirror-knight is not on a watch list right now. Eye of Creation is on top of that list.
Testing of future sets will be done internally or with a small group outsiders (under NDA).
Crafting will allow you to make PvE cards, some (common/uncommon) PvP cards, Mercenaries, Gear, Consumables (PvE) and some other goodies.
Every dollar is put into the game, so for marketing they have to use some other ways. They hope their community will help him to get the word out. Steam is not planned yet.
Keep defense uses PvE rules (for now)
FAQ rulebook will be coming soon. A deep rulebook will be coming in the future.
They don't want to have Set 1 too long in our hands, but Set 2 might be a bit longer away than usually which is 3 months.
Cory was naked during stream, but camera failed.
Tablet version seems to be working. Cory actually played on an iPad.
+/- 10 Alternate Art per set (excluding Collector's Tier). Most of the times these will be playable. On Set 1 some might be picked because Cory hated the art.
Tommorow's blog post by Cory will be about the Art and the Art Book.
One of the prizes of Wheel's of Fate are Alternate Art Cards. Every new set the cards change that come out of Wheel's of Fate. For Set 1 these are Windseeker Acolyte, Veteran Gladiator, Wrathwood Collossus.
CZE owns the monopoly on fun. So we have a bright future in Hex.
New patch has some cool stuff. Ie new coinflip, victory screen and polishing.

I also recorded the interview audio, which you can access here. In the start there were some problems with streaming, which resulted in some missing audiobits, but 99% of the interview should be fine
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10533860/beta_interview.mp3

Neo is uploading the whole stream to youtube, so that should be online soon too.

bojanglesz
04-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Here are my notes of the whole interview

I also recorded the interview audio, which you can access here. In the start there were some problems with streaming, which resulted in some missing audiobits, but 99% of the interview should be fine
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10533860/beta_interview.mp3

Neo is uploading the whole stream to youtube, so that should be online soon too.

Interesting. So closed beta may be much closer than I expected if AH isn't in.

Aradon
04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Closed beta is 'very soon' and AH will be about a week behind it, if CZE has their way.

GPrime
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Sounds like we won't be farming our Spectral Lotus Gardens until PVE is out. Makes sense to hold back those rewards until PVE starts, though--some of the PVE cards might change between now and then.

mudkip
04-01-2014, 05:00 PM
For detailed rules, I'm looking forward to either an in-game database or an external one (like wowhead) where the rules of specific cards/situations can be discussed/shared.

bojanglesz
04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't think anything was said about doubleback. Is that still a closed beta feature?

Cory_Jones
04-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't think anything was said about doubleback. Is that still a closed beta feature?

no that is primarily PVE so its coming a bit later, most of tech is in, but it needs testing

Rycajo
04-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the interview. I love hearing Cory talk about Hex.

I suppose I should have asked earlier, but I'm wondering when the account authenticators will be implemented. I really don't want to redeem my KS rewards until I have a little more security on my account.

Parzival
04-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the interview guys, two questions, I'm at work so I can't check the upload.

What exactly did Cory say about Australia "may" be in the US garden ?

What are the implications of IP gating for Europe and US - are they still in the same garden?

Cory_Jones
04-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the interview guys, two questions, I'm at work so I can't check the upload.

What exactly did Cory say about Australia "may" be in the US garden ?

What are the implications of IP gating for Europe and US - are they still in the same garden?

Australia is NA Garden and EU/NA is one garden

Roy_G
04-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Which garden is Israel in?Europe seems to be the closest one geographically.

Xenavire
04-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Can we assume that any country in western Europe automatically qualifies for the NA/EU server? Especially those using the Euro? Never considered it might be an issue.

bojanglesz
04-01-2014, 06:21 PM
no that is primarily PVE so its coming a bit later, most of tech is in, but it needs testing

Thanks for reply Cory.

Really seems like we're on the cusp then, I figured AH, guilds, and doubleback were in closed beta. If those features slip (especially AH and guilds as mentioned), we could be reaaaaaally close.

Werlix
04-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for reply Cory.

Really seems like we're on the cusp then, I figured AH, guilds, and doubleback were in closed beta. If those features slip (especially AH and guilds as mentioned), we could be reaaaaaally close.

Yeah I'm imagining what I'd be like for the April HTP tourny if we see a full collection wipe + store opening in the next couple weeks :eek:

havocattack
04-01-2014, 06:47 PM
australia is na garden and eu/na is one garden

epic sigh of relief!

Parzival
04-01-2014, 07:09 PM
You and me both Havoc :D

Thanks for the quick reply Cory - now I can go back to stressing about work :rolleyes:

Mejis
04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
You and me both Havoc :D

Thanks for the quick reply Cory - now I can go back to stressing about work :rolleyes:

Yeah, awesome stuff :D

Oroniss
04-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah, me too. Good interview guys, lots of interesting stuff and thank to Cory for taking the time out to do this.

havocattack
04-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Any of you Aussies not already in a guild, be sure to check out Elementary ;)

Werlix
04-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Hey... maybe I'll have to check you guys out too :) I'm assuming NZ will be in NA/EU along with Australia...

Xenavire
04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey... maybe I'll have to check you guys out too :) I'm assuming NZ will be in NA/EU along with Australia...

99% of the time NZ is lumped together with Aussies. I doubt you need to worry. I do think the exchange rate might make plat a little pricey though.

Werlix
04-01-2014, 08:32 PM
99% of the time NZ is lumped together with Aussies. I doubt you need to worry. I do think the exchange rate might make plat a little pricey though.

We're used to being charged more than just the currency conversion difference. For example MtG packs in stores are usually around $6 - $8 NZD each which is like $5.20 - $6.80 USD each. So yeah I'm pretty happy with $2.30 NZD Hex packs :)

Mejis
04-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Havoc, I may have joined before I got Alpha access?? I'll have to chase it up sometime soon.

Ravallian
04-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority but if your location based on IP then I may have an issue.

I lived in the UK, all my friends are from there and EU, yet I'm now on assignment in Asia for work, does that means I'll automatically be assign to the Asia garden/server?

Gwaer
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority but if your location based on IP then I may have an issue.

I lived in the UK, all my friends are from there and EU, yet I'm now on assignment in Asia for work, does that means I'll automatically be assign to the Asia garden/server?

Yes you have a problem that is quite easily solved... Not sure how the forum rules cover me straight up telling you how to circumvent it... But if you look up how people could for example access netflix while not in the USA, you will find the answers you seek...

Ravallian
04-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Starts with a v end with an n perhaps :)

mach
04-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Doing it based on IP seems suboptimal. Location detection based on IP is generally good, but does sometime get it wrong. And it's easy to circumvent. Gating based on billing address seems more sensible to me.

Also, while I can understand gating the economies, there is zero reason they should be gating the playing part of the game. If you can't play against your friends in other regions, they're doing something wrong.

Kroan
04-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Doing it based on IP seems suboptimal. Location detection based on IP is generally good, but does sometime get it wrong. And it's easy to circumvent. Gating based on billing address seems more sensible to me.

Also, while I can understand gating the economies, there is zero reason they should be gating the playing part of the game. If you can't play against your friends in other regions, they're doing something wrong.

On page 8 there is a summary of the interview. You can find the following there

People will be put into a garden based on IP. This is done because of different prizing models.
Australia is in the US garden most likely. (Who really cares? ;P )
Plan is to have (almost) everyone play together through the tournament server.

As you can see the idea is that everyone can play together. The split gardens is mainly because they will have to charge different prizes (or award different tournament prizes) in some parts of the world due to regulations or huge price difference. The gardens are mainly made to protect collections.

Silent
04-02-2014, 02:34 AM
What about chests? Are we getting some kind of "token" until those chests are implemented? Pro Player Tournament is roughly 30 days after Closed Beta start, so obviously we need to get some cards. On the other hand, I dont want to open dozens/hundreds of my packs and miss out on a chest for each of those.

fido_one
04-02-2014, 03:38 AM
...The split gardens is mainly because they will have to charge different prizes (or award different tournament prizes) in some parts of the world due to regulations or huge price difference. The gardens are mainly made to protect collections.

I think you/Cory meant prices, here, not prizes. A.k.a. a country with a very weak value against the dollar may want to price pack equivalents at 80 US cents rather than 2 USD. If you don't wall the zones card collection values will plummet to the lowest common denominator as a result.

meetthefuture
04-02-2014, 03:53 AM
I think you/Cory meant prices, here, not prizes. A.k.a. a country with a very weak value against the dollar may want to price pack equivalents at 80 US cents rather than 2 USD. If you don't wall the zones card collection values will plummet to the lowest common denominator as a result.

Even though I live in a third-world country and its currency is really weak against the dollar/euro, I would rather pay the full price and play on an adequate server. I mean, if there will be a separate garden for Russia someday - the competitive players from here will have to use those means mentioned above to keep playing on EU/NA - which will not be really comfortable :/

Xenavire
04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
We're used to being charged more than just the currency conversion difference. For example MtG packs in stores are usually around $6 - $8 NZD each which is like $5.20 - $6.80 USD each. So yeah I'm pretty happy with $2.30 NZD Hex packs :)

Hey, not disagreeing. This is why I made do with clever trading rather than buying packs. I couldn't afford to play MTG any other way. I am in a much better position for Hex though.

fido_one
04-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Even though I live in a third-world country and its currency is really weak against the dollar/euro, I would rather pay the full price and play on an adequate server. I mean, if there will be a separate garden for Russia someday - the competitive players from here will have to use those means mentioned above to keep playing on EU/NA - which will not be really comfortable :/

Well remember all play can or will be on global servers, this is only really talking about trades and the auction house. The most this will effect are those in each area who identify themselves as collectors, I think - doesn't sound like it would mess with much else.

RobHaven
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
If a card is banned, will it still be available in new packs?

edited for clarity

Xenavire
04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
If a card is banned, will it still be available in new packs?

edited for clarity

Of course it would be available. It would be banned in one format, not all the formats (so it would likely be legal in limited.)

Yoss
04-02-2014, 09:02 AM
What about chests? Are we getting some kind of "token" until those chests are implemented? Pro Player Tournament is roughly 30 days after Closed Beta start, so obviously we need to get some cards. On the other hand, I dont want to open dozens/hundreds of my packs and miss out on a chest for each of those.

I'm curious about this as well as the Wheels of Fate. I was assuming they'd both be in before monetizing.

Jacklau89
04-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I would also like to express my concern about sorting players into different walled garden based on their ip (I suppose thats one of those tragedies when you are not living in NA/EU:(). I wonder how/when this could be done? Do we get sorted each time during login, or by some official registration during beta?

It would be great to have more details on how this ip system works as I am not comfortable with this at all, even though I am a subscriber of Hide My Ass. I don't like the idea of our kickstarter boosters being untradable with NA/EU simply because I cannot join their server, even though I wish to. It would be much better for us to choose manually during first registration or some sort.

incitfulmonk21
04-02-2014, 10:29 AM

This is of great concern to lots of people I am sure.

While I don't min/max my spending budget and I am far more about the enjoyment of a game rather then the cost. I would like to know if I need to save my packs for opening until chests are available as to me that's one of the best parts of the pack?

mach
04-02-2014, 10:50 AM
As you can see the idea is that everyone can play together. The split gardens is mainly because they will have to charge different prizes (or award different tournament prizes) in some parts of the world due to regulations or huge price difference. The gardens are mainly made to protect collections.

I don't see how this is a problem. If MTGO can manage a single garden for everyone in the world without causing any problems (AFAIK), why can't Hex?

ossuary
04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
This has been hashed over in several places, including the original announcement articles.

1) Some countries have additional regulations that make putting their customers and other customers together difficult or impossible (China, Russia, etc.).

2) Some countries (most of South America, Africa, areas of the Middle East) have vastly different economic structures than the Western world, and need to have support for less expensive products (think $0.50 a pack or less), or the product as a form of entertainment simply will not be viable. If our cards and their cards are interchangeable, our cards' value will drop to theirs, despite us paying more for them. This is a terrible idea economically, so the cards MUST be kept separate.

3) Cryptozoic is a tiny company with extremely limited resources. Wizards of the Coast is a massive enterprise corporation with offices in multiple countries and millions of dollars to throw around on localization. You cannot compare the two. The reality is that if Cryptozoic was not able to make deals with 3rd party publishers/distributors/localization teams, Hex would not exist in those other regions AT ALL.

Instead, they will now go to market in those regions, those regions just won't be able to trade their cards with NA/EU players or sell those cards to them on the AH - they'll only be able to trade and sell with their own market. Everyone will still be able to play tournament games together, they just won't be able to trade unless they're on the same server. It's much more than you would have gotten if CZE didn't make those publishing deals with GameForge and the other whose name I forget.

mach
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
1) Some countries have additional regulations that make putting their customers and other customers together difficult or impossible (China, Russia, etc.).

If there's an issue in an individual country, fine. But there's no need to punish the entire region for that.

2) Some countries (most of South America, Africa, areas of the Middle East) have vastly different economic structures than the Western world, and need to have support for less expensive products (think $0.50 a pack or less), or the product as a form of entertainment simply will not be viable. If our cards and their cards are interchangeable, our cards' value will drop to theirs, despite us paying more for them. This is a terrible idea economically, so the cards MUST be kept separate.

That's a good reason to give them an exclusive server with cheaper prices, but it's not a good reason to prevent people who have IPs from that country from playing on the main server if they can afford it.

3) Cryptozoic is a tiny company with extremely limited resources. Wizards of the Coast is a massive enterprise corporation with offices in multiple countries and millions of dollars to throw around on localization. You cannot compare the two. The reality is that if Cryptozoic was not able to make deals with 3rd party publishers/distributors/localization teams, Hex would not exist in those other regions AT ALL.

WoTC/Hasbro does have massive resources, but by all accounts they're not using them on MTGO.

Gwaer
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Honestly the gardens can just stipulate who you can trade with, and it could be otherwise entirely seamless. Take this example:

i am in the USA, I buy packs for 2 bucks a a piece, I regularly play with my friend from china, he buys packs for 20 cents USD, China has special regulations that forbid certain types of art. So when we play together he automatically sees the Chinese art for all my cards, and I see the American art for all of his. I cannot trade packs or cards with him, that's a bit sad. Potentially I can trade some PVE only items with him, but probably just can't trade period.

We enter tournaments together. He sees the price it costs him to enter, and the prize support he qualifies for when he does enter. While I see my prize support and my cost.

I very much much doubt it will be this way, but it could be.

if it were you might have a lot of people making accounts with bogus IP addresses in countries that have especially cheap costs.

Thrawn
04-02-2014, 12:04 PM
The "walled gardens" thing is certainly not something Cryptozoic decided over a lunch chat. I'm assuming it took a lot of discussion and if bringing everyone together was as simple as just deciding to do it t hey would.

Werlix
04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
From the sounds of it the different gardens are walled off entirely except for scheduled global tournaments. From what I've heard regular play (proving grounds), 8-man tournament queues and teaming up for PvE would all be gated to your garden... or is there a quote somewhere that proves this wrong?

Lonenut
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm disappointed that they're not going to put together a marketing or advertising plan AND they're not going for Steam distribution. One or the other would get them much more widespread, neither means the game is going to be incredibly limited at first.

Werlix
04-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm disappointed that they're not going to put together a marketing or advertising plan AND they're not going for Steam distribution. One or the other would get them much more widespread, neither means the game is going to be incredibly limited at first.

They didn't say they're not going to put together a marking and advertising plan, they said their budget for doing so is limited so they have to be careful. If anything they implied they need to be even more aware and deliberate about how they market the game.

Xenavire
04-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Cory said that Gameforge and Level up will be pushing the game, which I think is going to be potentially more lucrative than a massive TV campaign. Add that in with the plans to get some physical product out there, and how well we backers have been spreading the word, and I don't think they need to market until well after launch.

I think delayed marketing will be more than enough.

Gulbech
04-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Great interview, hard not to believe in Cory :P

Axle
04-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Going right to Steam the moment a non-typical game launches (aka buying packs/etc, not just 1 time buy games) is not a good idea. It's cutting profits before you even try becoming big. Valve would take a cut of all money spent on platinum bought from CZE and force integration with their steam wallet. It would be best to wait until after the full PVE experience is out which makes the game really standout to consumers and see if the game becomes big on that before you throw in the towel for the exposure Steam gives. Businesses think in long term. They would only have to do it if they're really on their last limbs.

infam0usne0
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
for those that didn't find the other thread you can find the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9TsHWtT2-w

GPrime
04-02-2014, 05:03 PM
For Cory if he's still watching this thread:

Are we starting new accounts when beta starts? Many of us want to change "keep names" (in my case, since it currently contains a space, I believe I have to) and that would be a good opportunity to do so.

meetthefuture
04-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Well remember all play can or will be on global servers
As far as I understood, only the tourneys are global. Correct me if I'm wrong

For Cory if he's still watching this thread:

Are we starting new accounts when beta starts? Many of us want to change "keep names" (in my case, since it currently contains a space, I believe I have to) and that would be a good opportunity to do so.
How I see it is: who wants to keep the name - keeps the name, who don't - creates the new account (or you can create a support ticket to change the name now, two of my friends have done it already). The rewards are provided via code anyway, so it doesn't matter if you use your alpha-account or the new one

GPrime
04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
The rewards are provided via code anyway

Do we know that for sure?

meetthefuture
04-03-2014, 03:55 AM
I believe someone from CZE said that

jimmywolf
04-03-2014, 04:02 AM

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26987

How do I claim those rewards ?

You will get an email code, you login into the game, make your account, then there will be a special interface where you will be able insert codes in, to unlock your rewards
(source Kotr interview 0:47 http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874)

was in the new player forum FAQ sticky

Xenavire
04-03-2014, 04:03 AM
The store already has the code redemtion interface.

Silent
04-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Anything new on this by now?