PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else coined hex-specific jargon?

DanTheMeek
03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
So since Kismet was first unveiled, despite all the controversy her awesome appearance caused on the forums (never understood it so I just stayed out of it), I've been both taking her name in vain, and praising her, during matches. A few weeks ago I finally saved up enough money to buy one of my buddies a slacker backer so he could join me in the world of hex, and whenever we play and I get a series of bad draws, I often curse the name of Kismet. Conversely, when I draw just what I needed, or just have an exceptionally good opening hand, I will often exclaim that "I've just been Kissed by Kismet".

It's pointless. It's cheesy. But its already been a lot of fun. I don't know why but I really enjoy having a fictional character of luck to blame or praise for the aspects of Hex I can't control. In many other card games I'd often say something to the like of "curse the RNG goddess!" in frustration, but its just so much more satisfying to have an actual name and face to use for my irrational explanations of random chance.

Anyone else been Kissed by Kismet and come up with fun Hex-specific jargon they actually use when chatting with friends? Doesn't even have to be in game, maybe you told a bully to leave you alone before you had to introduce him to your fists of brigadoon? Maybe tried to pick up a girl at a bar by telling her "If you were my concubunny, the world would be full of battle hoppers.". Maybe asked for a box o' plenty for break fast when you wanted fruit loops? Maybe told some one acting crazy that you didn't mind if they had a little chronic Madness today, but thats where it needed to stop, you couldn't afford to let it escalate?

Yeah I'll stop now. But seriously, genuinely curious if anyone else has coined any Hex-terms, especially ones used outside of the game. Personally I plan to use the name of Kismet in every chance related game or aspect of life I encounter from now on.

YourOpponent
03-27-2014, 09:21 PM
I have been referring to myself as being "all hopped up" when I have all the basics I need for my Shin'Haar.

ossuary
03-28-2014, 04:45 AM
I've actually been thinking about terminology for awhile. We need words to mean things in the game, especially since some of the "we totally aren't using Magic's keywords" keywords are so ungainly (like exhaust). For example, we need a quick way to say "I'm all out of resources." Obviously, we can't use "tapped out," as we don't tap cards. We COULD say "I'm spent," but that sounds dirty (even though it fits nicely with exhausted). Personally, I've been using "dried up." It's just as fast as saying you're tapped out, and conveys the same general message. :)

Linguistics is fun. Sometimes, it can even be cunning. :p

Xenavire
03-28-2014, 04:55 AM
I like 'I'm spent'. Imagine saying that to an undercover CZE player - the hilarity.

Dried up is pretty nice though, might use that one.

DanTheMeek
03-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Yeah, not gonna lie, calling tapping anything but tapping is probably not going to happen. I've played numerous cards games over the past two decades that came up with creative terms for tapping that I tried to train myself to use, and it never happened, it was still tapping. Not to say I won't try again. Personally I think if I'm out of resource I should say "I'm exhausted".

Also, because, why not, two more terrible shin'hare pick up lines:

"If you were a concubunny, I'd let you tap me every turn"
"Its okay if you don't shave your legs, cause I like me some shin'hare"

Thrawn
03-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Yeah, not gonna lie, calling tapping anything but tapping is probably not going to happen.

I would agree. Everyone I know what plays Hex uses the same jargon as Magic for everything. Mana screwed, tapping, heck most of them even call resources land still.

Tinuvas
03-28-2014, 08:31 AM
I haven't yet pulled Hex specific terms, but I can feel it coming. It took me awhile with "Firefly", but I still call things 'shiny' to this day. I fully expect to start dropping Hex specific stuff soon, which I also fully expect to create a number of eye-rolls in my family. Good times!