PDA

View Full Version : My Draft Tier List, by Brynhildr/Arathil

AdamAoE2
03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0iJ0J05.jpg

So I've had a chance to run a few drafts, and I figured I would give my tentative input on cards and hopefully open up the discussion a little bit. I'll be updating this list periodically as I write it out for other colors/cards.

I will only be rating commons and uncommons. :)

I have rated each card on a scale of 1 to 5, with a 5 being "Excellent", and 1 being "Awful". I don't claim to be an expert, so please don't crucify me if I've made a glaringly obvious error in judgement. Thanks.

~*~*~*~*~TABLE OF CONTENTS~*~*~*~

Blood Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&p=348777&viewfull=1#post348777)
Blood Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=350275&viewfull=1#post350275)

Diamond Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&p=348880&viewfull=1#post348880)
Diamond Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=350297&viewfull=1#post350297)

Sapphire Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&p=348916&viewfull=1#post348916)
Sapphire Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=349677&viewfull=1#post349677)

Ruby Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=2&p=348981&viewfull=1#post348981)
Ruby Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=350341&viewfull=1#post350341)

Wild Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&p=348921&viewfull=1#post348921)
Wild Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=350306&viewfull=1#post350306)

Artifact Commons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=2&p=349513&viewfull=1#post349513)
Artifact Uncommons (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34238&page=3&p=350347&viewfull=1#post350347)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BLOOD Commons

1525 Murder - 5/5 - The best removal card in the set in my opinion. Removing almost any creature at instant speed is a great tool, and with efficient total removal being so difficult to find in draft, this is a first-pick calibur card.

1526 Giant Corpse Fly - 5/5 - This guy is a card-advantage machine! He is what Wailing Banshee wishes she was. It eats an opponent's card, forcing at least a 1 for 1 trade, and then goes to work plinking your opponent for 2 each turn.

Darkspire Priestess - 4/5 - Darkspire Priestess is a fantastic early-game drop for several reasons. As an aggressive 2/1 for 2, she can generally get a few hits in, or at least trade with most troops in her cost-range. Secondly, her ability to replace herself generates you card advantage, and makes most opponents hesistant to spend a removal spell on her.

1529 Blood Cauldron Ritualist - 3/5 - This guy is pretty solid in draft. Although vulnerable to Zared, He will often force trades with higher cost creatures and is happy to gobble up obsolete minions like Moon'ariu Sensei or Shroomshaws.

1527 Mazat Ranger - 3/5 - I am a big fan of socketable creatures, and the reason is that they pair well with most colors. There are exceptions, but Mazat Ranger shines well as a 4/1 Flight, Ruby Evasion, or even with swift-strike. Her weakness is that a small breeze eliminates her and her 1 DEF, but she is still a solid choice for aggressive decks.

Blood Aura - 3/5 - With most draft games being races, Lifedrain is a severely underrated mechanic. Throw this card on any evasive creature, and you have a threat that needs to be taken care of immediately or your opponent risks falling hopelessly behind in the damage race. Don't underestimate tossing this card on a Headless Executioner and going to town with him.

Wailing Banshee - 3/5 - Wailing Banshee is a card that you are generally neutral to run in your deck. Evasion is great, but she loses a ton of value against dwarf/robot decks and should generally be sideboarded out.

Darkspire Enforcer - 3/5 - Darkspire Enforcer is a fairly mediocre card. Many 2-cost troops are able to trade with him, which really limits his utility. As a 3/2 for 3, he is more of an aggressive card that becomes slightly better when you can fetch him with a Darkspire Priestess.

Headless Executioner - 3/5 - Headless Executioner is a decent card, but I find he really excels when paired with cards like Wild Aura and Blood Aura. Admittably, he is a really slow card that you will groan at when you topdeck him in a losing situation, but when you are ahead, this guy is the coup de grace in most cases.

Shadowgrove Witch - 3/5 - As a 2/4 for 4, she is merely okay, but if you get lucky and can hit on a troop with her ability, then there is definitely value there. But you need to ask yourself if you are okay with a 2/4 for 4 in the majority of cases.

Call the Grave - 3/5 - This card has the potential for fantastic value. For starters, using it on your corpse fly brings it back for even more value, once again bringing back a 2 for 1 on your opponent. Also of interesting note is the ability to grab things from your opponent's graveyard which becomes more relevant then you think, especially with the prevalence of robots.

Zombie Vulture - 2/5 - Zombie Vulture's DEF is too low, and her cost too high, to give her a higher score then a 2. You are taking an extremely high tempo risk by playing her for 5, without a huge payoff.

Shroomshaw - 2/5 - Pairs well with Blood Cauldron Ritualist or Necessary Sacrifice. If you don't have a sacrifice outlet though, stay away.

Misfortune - 2/5 - Too expensive for a paltry two damage, so you're using it to get them to discard two cards which will likely empty their hand at that stage of the game. But at 5 cost, its a huge loss of tempo and a total blank if you are running behind in the game.

Terrible Transfer - 2/5 - Terrible Transfer is fantastic if you manage to pull off mono-blood, but in dual-shard decks, it becomes a risky card to main-deck. The 5-cost is steep for what can be either 1-5 damage depending on how many blood shards you rip off the top. It is up to you to decide whether that variance fits in your deck.

Inquisition - 2/5 - Getting rid of your opponent's best card is nice, but it really slows down your tempo. Also of concern is the double-blood needed to cast it, which is can be a pain to get on turn 2 consistantly, and especially since generally you want to cast this card as soon as possible.

Sorrow - 2/5 - As some posters pointed out, it has a job taking out weenie-decks and decks that have an abundance of X-1s. I generally don't mind getting one of these in 10-15th round, but I wouldn't consider main-decking it generally, as most of blood's best commons also fall in the 1 Toughness range. It can do some work against spammy dwarf decks that like to toss down a ton of gearsmiths, bombsmiths and worker bots to fuel their construction plans.

Atrophy - 2/5 - It is hard for cards that have "Draw a card" in their text to be especially bad. Although you're paying 4 for a minor cantrip effect, it can do some work in combination with Zared's charge power. The -1/-1 is relevant more often then you think.

Determined Zombie - 1/5 - Too weak to do his job as a blocker, and not enough damage to kill anything other then the most paltry of troops.

Blood Bearer - 1/5 - Not a fan of this guy, or most 1 drops in Hex in general. His ability is only going to net you a couple health in a best case scenario, and he is definitely one of the weaker of shin'hare troops.

hammer
03-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Sorrow is undervalued by everyone nothing personal :D

Yoss
03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Terrible Transfer - 2/5 - The problem with this card is twofold. Blood suffers from a fairly poor common pool compared to the other colors which makes going mono-black nigh impossible. As a result, you will often only have 2 or 3 blood threshold available which makes this an overpriced mild removal spell. In addition, since it does not target champions, it cannot be used as a finisher which limits its utility. Still, not completely awful if you're lacking in removal.

Inquisition - 2/5 - Getting rid of your opponent's best card is nice, but it really slows down your tempo. Also of concern is the double-blood needed to cast it, which is can be a pain since generally you want to cast this card as soon as possible.

I was wondering how that one guy managed to draft 4 Inqui and 3 TT to compliment his Murder and Corpse Flies. Now I know.

Realize that if you bypass mono-shard cards, that means someone else in the draft can go mono-shard against you. TT is AMAZING in a mono-blood deck, and Inqui always comes out turn 2 in a mono-blood deck.

AdamAoE2
03-28-2014, 08:53 PM
DIAMOND Commons

1590 Repel - 5/5 - This is a great removal spell that will eat your opponent's best creature at a low cost. Strongly recommended, and I consider it a strong contender for best removal in the game for limited.

1533 Inner Conflict - 5/5 - Solid diamond removal that gets rid of a creature's board presence. I'm always happy to see it come my way, and am stunned when I see it come as late as 5th or 6th in competitive draft.

1532 Noble Citizenry - 4/5 - I really like this guy. Great if you can combo him onto a flyer and put your opponent on the clock. He almost always puts you in a position where one of your guys is bigger then any of their guys. Pairs great with Chimera Guard Outrider to make them a beast. His 2/3 body is also still relevant as a 4 drop, often stopping aggressive 2 and 3 drops from bashing in.

1535 Sky'le Gryphon - 4/5 - I like Mystic of the Tranquil Dream, and I like this guy, although he is a bit worse due to requiring double diamond. Still, a solid choice, and pairs well with Noble Citizenry or any sort of Inspire to create an immediate board threat.

1536 Spearcliff Pegasus - 3/5 - A cheap, aggressive 2/1 flier which are always nice. Not as good as a Corpse Fly, but still solid. It's always enjoyable to play this guy and follow it up with a Noble Citizenry to make a 4/3 flying beater. His 1 toughness makes him a risky proposition against Zared, especially if Zared is on the play and will reach his 4th charge power before you reach your 4th shard.

Shield Trainer - 3/5 - These guys are a decent addition to most diamond decks, as they inspire any creature in the game. I'm never unhappy to get at least one of these guys in my deck, although I would avoid running multiples as he is typically useless in the late-game. With how prevalent Zared is, his ability to buff X/1s is a fairly underrated mechanic.

Quick Strider - 3/5 - A decent card for 3, especially if you can get him going with Inspire or other pump tricks.

Wind Whisperer - 3/5 - A little expensive, but the versatility to shut down your opponent's best blocker or disable their best attacker is really really nice. Don't underestimate this guy's impact on the board. His ability to disable up to two blockers (One at the end of your opponent's turn, and then again during your turn), is huge.

Captain of the Dragon Guard - 3/5 - This guy is alright, he usually goes super late in drafts, so he may not be a terrible pickup to round out your deck, especially if you have dudes you'll want to get back. He really shines when you want to retrieve a giant gryphon you've buffed, or some other rare bomb that got hit with removal. Often wheels the table, so not worth an early pick

Paladin of Nagaan - 2/5 - Not the end of the world if you have to play one of these guys, but he isn't going to do much to help you win the game. Still, he gets a horrendous rap for being a decently-sized body. Heck, he can go toe to toe with a Boulder Brute.

Bravery - 2/5 - Small little trick that will let you trade up if you have the perfect scenario. There is something to be said for tricks that only cost 1, but I'm not a fan of it, personally.

Radiant Armor - 2/5 - Makes one of your guys really hard to kill at the cost of a card. A below average combat trick that is unlikely to trade up for you. Rare exception being if you have a ton of chimera guard outriders.

Grim Skull Sorcerer - 2/5 - Normally socketables are great, but his 1 ATK really limits his utility. Really his only two uses are with +1/+1 from the wild gem, or the Rage 1 from the blood gem to turn him into a turn 2 Cottontail Ronin.

Guard Dog - 2/5 - Meh. A 3/3 blocker for 2 with absolutely no board threat at all.

Rigid Buffalo - 2/5 - It's a Wild-Gemmed Grim Skull Sorcerer, except requiring two diamond threshold and no wild threshold.

Reversion - 2/5 - Reversion is a powerful mechanic when included with some other benefit, but it is not worth a card when used by itself in my opinion.

Diamond Aura - 1/5 - Way too expensive of a combat trick for a meagre +2/+2. Steadfast doesn't really even matter in most combat situations.

Adamanthian Scrivener - 1/5 - Same problem as Blood Bearer. Potentially nets you a small amount of life and then is fairly useless for the rest of the game. Rare exception to this case is whether or not you have a couple Righteous Paladins, as the turn 2 Righteous Paladin is scary when you drop this guy on turn 1 with Dimmid.

Protectorate Sorcerer - 1/5 - This guy is too expensive for what he does to be effective.

Soothing Breeze - 1/5 - This card doesn't do anything to help your board position. Avoid it.

AdamAoE2
03-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Hammer - I admittably don't have much experience using Sorrow in draft yet, but I feel that in order to use it effectively, you would have to manipulate the combat situation to a perfect scenario which is hard to do at basic speed. You would have to use it post-combat and hope your opponent blocks the way you want him to.

Yoss - While any mono-deck has the potential to be powerful with the right cards, I feel it is very difficult to pull off in the current draft format. Blood's pool of cards in common are very attractive to most people looking to find a second color, and I often find that you have a large amount of competition for that shard in drafts. The odds of getting a strong mono-blood draft is very low. You can get lucky, and have it happen sure, but I just don't feel they have enough of a strong card pool to make it work very often. Mazat Ranger is also much worse in a mono-black draft, as the blood minor gems are fairly poor.

funktion
03-28-2014, 11:42 PM
I've played in roughly 20 drafts so far, and I've gotta say my pick orders are very different from yours. I ought to put a list together perhaps, but for starters:

-Atrophy ~2.5 (I will almost always play at least one copy, often times 2)
-Sorrow ~2 (I will play one copy about 50% of the time, and I almost always want to have 2 copies out of the sideboard, it can be absolutely backbreaking in quite a few matchups) Making Sorrow work well for you is very easy to do and there are just so many GOOD one defense guys in the format that it is very often effectively another copy of burn.
-Shadowgrove Witch I probably agree with you on, but I'm happy to play this card more often than I am Mazat Ranger

-Vulture ~1 or less (I'm unlikely to ever play this card)
-Mazat Ranger ~1.5-2 (sometimes this is is my 20-23rd card, but I'm never really happy about that)
-Headless Executioner ~1 or less (I'm unlikely to ever play this card)

In diamond it is more of the same. I'm more likely to play repel than I am inner conflict, to the extent that there have been a couple drafts where I did not maindeck conflict.

-Bravery is not a cantrip
-I'm more likely to play captain of the dragon gaurd than I am but it if I am running it, it is almost always my 23rd card
-One copy of reversion is almost always maindeckable
-I am always happy to run one copy of diamond aura as well
-Shield Trainer is probably a conditional 1 for me, I very rarely play it, but if I do, I usually want to have 2-3 copies because I'm building some kind of shenanigans deck

Thraeg
03-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Agreed with all your 5s.

I'm happy to run Atrophy (4) and Sorrow (3-4). It's rare to have a game where they don't create some advantage that outweighs their cost.

Zombie Vulture (2) and Mazat Ranger (2-3) are just too vulnerable for their cost (including dying to Atrophy and Sorrow). I don't hate them in the 20-23 slot, but they're low priority. Ranger works well in Diamond for Swiftstrike, as it makes a threat that has to be answered with removal rather than trading up with a 1/1 chump.

Call the Grave (4) and Captain of the Dragon Guard (3) are both much better than you give them credit for, simply due to the fact that buffs stay on in the graveyard. Bringing back a mid-size troop buffed by a Citizenry or Aura is a great value for what you pay.

Misfortune (4) can be backbreaking. It's true that it doesn't affect the board the turn you play it, but when you empty their hand and knock out their big troops, then they're losing even more tempo on their next turn.

Repel (5) is premium removal. No reason to choose between it and Inner Conflict when they're both so good.

Wind Whisperer (4) is really nice soft removal. You'll usually have enough mana that the 1 isn't a big issue by the late game, and keeping the opponent's best troop locked down is well worth it.

Bravery (4) is cheap, simple, and versatile. There will always be an opportunity to save a troop from combat or removal spell dealing exactly its health in damage, and make it better in the process.

Diamond Aura (3) suffers a bit because of the tension between wanting to play it before your attack to get the benefit of Steadfast, or waiting until after blocking as a combat trick, but it's still plenty playable. Ideal usage is as a combat trick on defense.

Reversion (3) is very specialized, but auras are pretty commonly played, and this removes them all at a resource advantage, and there are also occasional chances to snipe a Honeycap or something. I'm usually happy to play one, and will pick up spares late in packs for sideboard. Might get better if the champion that makes Rock Elementals gets popular.

AdamAoE2
03-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Sapphire Commons

1538 Buccaneer - 5/5 - I love this guy. Completely flipflops the momentum of early game, and puts your opponent on the defensive. Comes with a free 2/2 body which is enough to trade with many 2 and 3 drops in its own right.

1608 Thunderbird - 5/5 - Thunderbird is pretty insane if you play him early. Unanswered, he will end the game on his own in short order. Multiples are obviously brutal, and I consider him to be one of the best common fliers in the set.

1540 Mystic of the Tranquil Dream - 3/5 - When you play this guy, you'll almost always be playing it as a 2/4 flier. I am perfectly fine running this guy, as he is a durable flier that is hard to get rid of without a hard removal spell like Murder or Solitary Exile.

1541 Phoenix Guard Trainer - 3/5 - Solid guy that converts your guys into evasive threats if he stays on the board. I think he is a bit better when paired with Wild instead of Diamond.

1542 Sapphire Aura - 3/5 - Pretty solid trick that suddenly makes one of your guys evasive, or can be used as a mild combat trick. Works great in conjunction with cards like Air Superiority.

Devoted Emissary - 3/5 - This guy is fairly underrated in my opinion. Besides being a 4/3 body, there is nothing more infuriating to your opponent then Buccaneering one of their men on turn 3, then following up your next turn with this guy targeting your buccaneer. Works great with other "Comes into play" effects too, like Giant Corpse Fly, or Noble Citizenry. Or Moon'ariu Sensei. Or Buccaneer. (etc)

Mesmerize - 3/5 - The poor man's Inner Conflict. While it can shut down a creature that has an activation, it won't get rid of annoying blockers. As there aren't a huge quantity of activated creatures yet, I don't rank this one very highly on the removal scale, but it works in a pinch.

Oracle Song - 3/5 - Its okay, but I feel like in many situations you will be surrendering a huge amount of tempo. The 3rd turn is absolutely critical in most drafts, as the big threats start appearing. Still, if you can play it comfortably without surrendering control of the board, Its a great card.

Phoenix Guard Scout - 3/5 - I liked this guy better as a 2/2 for 3. As a 1/3 flight for 2, hes merely average.

Countermagic - 3/5 - Keeping 3 mana open hurts in the early game, but if you have control of the board and your opponent needs to play an answer, this card is great, even better if they have multiples of that card in their deck.

Time Ripple - 3/5 - A good trick that really steals the early game momentum from your opponent. Not quite as good as bounce spells from other TCGs, since most effects are permanant and the negative effect makes it undesirable to bounce your own guy for some reason. On the plus side, you can bounce non-creature cards.

Gearsmith - 3/5* - This guy is an excellent card for dwarves. Great for finding and building your threats, like Volcannon or Pterobots.

Researcher Adept - 2/5 - Not a fan of this guy, but I can see his use. I don't feel the gain of a card is worth the loss in tempo.

Peek - 2/5 - I don't really like Peek, as generally you are only looking across 2-5 cards in most cases. I think there are better cards you'd rather use then peek.

Windbourne Acolyte - 2/5 - A small wind kills him, but if you're going with a super aggressive deck, I guess I could see it.

Twisted Fate - 2/5* - The thought of a mill deck is limited is pretty appealing, as these types of cards will often table sickeningly late. I'm sure somebody out there will find a good combination to make use of it with the milling champion, but it's just not for me.

Cavern Commando - 2/5 - I could see the point to hold the fort down while you plink away with your evasive guys, but there are just so many better 3 drop choices then this guy. He's not bad in dwarves, but there are other higher quality options out there.

Zodiac Shaman - 1/5 - For 5 cost, you should be playing something that is going to help you win. This guy sits on the board and does nothing.

Mutate - 1/5 - Would be really good, if only it was the other way around. (+1/-1)

AdamAoE2
03-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Man, all the love for Atrophy and Sorrow. I'll have to take another look at these cards.

-Bravery is not a cantrip

Bad wording on my part, I meant a trick. Clarified.

Call the Grave (4) and Captain of the Dragon Guard (3) are both much better than you give them credit for, simply due to the fact that buffs stay on in the graveyard. Bringing back a mid-size troop buffed by a Citizenry or Aura is a great value for what you pay.

That's a good point, I didn't think about that.

AdamAoE2
03-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Wild Commons

1591 Boulder Brute - 5/5 - This guy is probably one of the most consistently underrated cards in the game. Putting the wild spellshield gem in him makes him a threat that is hard to get rid of. Couple that with Feather Drifting Downriver, and you have a 4/4 evasive threat that trumphs almost all other fliers while being removal-immune. I would run this guy in any Wild deck. Also of note is that Spellshield only affects your opponent's effects, and you can still throw things like Wild Aura on him.

1551 Howling Brave- 4/5 - Solid. Hard to go wrong with shard acceleration. Absolutely crippling to your opponent when played on turn 1.

1552 Survival of the Fittest - 4/5 - This card is wild's answer for their lack of removal. You will probably use it to kill their fliers or evasive men.

1553 Wild Growth - 4/5 - Kill their guy and keep yours. A good combat trick that can be used to get that little bit of extra damage in to win the game if necessary.

1550 Honeycap - 4/5* - A great card for mono-green decks, especially when accelerated by a Howling Brave. A great beater, but in anything other then mono-green, its pretty awful.

Moon'Ariu Sensei - 4/5 - Cheap little guy that cycles through your deck, and can be fed to Blood Cauldron Ritualist. Another underrated guy that should be run in every wild deck.

Briar Legion - 3/5* - This card can be absolutely brutal if you can get two out early. Since ALL Briar Legions upgrade after you play another one, they can rapidly get out of control. Also resistant to Sapphire's Bounce tricks, as your opponent is not going to want to make them even more lethal. I find the best way to deal with taking these guys is draft is to see if your first few packs have them, and then if they table around, you know that the draft table doesn't rank them very highly. Doing it this way ensures that you can see how many there are as well as gauge if anybody else at the table has interest. Briar Legion is a definite gamble though, and I find typically that I prefer cards with more consistancy in the draft. Still, if you're feeling lucky, go for it.

Feral Ogre - 3/5 - I like this guy. I normally am not a fan of double-threshold 2 drops, but with mono-green being completely viable in draft, as well as Howling Brave giving you the extra threshold you need, this guy is pretty good.

Vine Trap - 3/5 - This card is a good value. Nearly impossible to kill early. Gives you a solid defender that is a double-blocking champion.

Wild Aura - 3/5 - Solid card that can trade up with one of their guys while giving you a huge threat. Everytime I play this card though, I'm terrified that my opponent is going to kill my creature and 2 for 1 me while also destroying my momentum. High Risk, High Reward.

Cottontail Ronin - 3/5 - Who would have thought the extra point of toughness to this guy would have made him so much better? This guy is not half bad if you play him at the beginning of the game. I've seen this guy get to 4/2 and 5/2 routinely, and then trade with an opponent's 4 drop. Obviously sucks if you draw it late, but I think this guy isn't half-bad now.

Tyrannosaurus Hex - 2/5 - A bit too vulnerable for 6 cost for my taste, but good to get some damage through. Not a bad 23rd card if you're looking for a late game beatstick.

Nature Reigns - 2/5 - Sideboard card against dwarves/bots, but not a recommended maindeck.

Evolve - 2/5 - If you have a million shin'hare, it has some mild value, but at basic speed, its not very effectual.

Concubunny - 2/5 - This card is not very good. The strength of the shin'hare really depends on the cards they have to sacrifice bunnies to, and in draft the only real constant card you'll see is Blood Cauldron Ritualist. The ability to summon a bunny every turn (at the cost of 1 resource) is generally not worth it, since you'll need to set yourself back a turn to really get it going.

Shroomtank - 2/5 - Slow lumbering buffoon that gives yet more fodder to Blood Cauldron Ritualist.

Wild Child - 2/5 - Meh. Fulfills a 2 drop need, but is only likely to swing once before getting stopped by better creatures.

Glimmerglen Witch - 2/5 - Not Terrible. Not good either. If I need a 23rd card, I'd rather run Vine Trap.

Shin'hare Militia - 1/5 - Unable to stop anything from coming in. A chump blocker at best.

Runts of the Litter - 1/5 - Only useful as fodder for Blood Cauldron Ritualist, and pretty useless otherwise.

AdamAoE2
03-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Ruby Commons

1554 Burn - 5/5 - Debatably one of the best ruby commons, cheap efficient removal. Can't go wrong.

1556 Ruby Pyromancer - 5/5 - The reason why I like Inspire so much is that there are several low-cost guys that remain relevant way into the late game. This card will start making your cheap cards trade up for their more expensive ones. Highly recommended.

1557 Ruby Lance - 4/5 - Solid removal spell. Not quite as good as Burn to the Ground, but still a good card at instant speed.

1555 Gem-Crazed Berserker - 4/5 - The nice thing about this guy is that he can be a 3/1 flier for 3 cost. Solid with the ruby intimidate gem as well. Also honorable mention to diamond as he is also very effective as a 3/1 swiftstrike.

1558 Sniper of Gawaine - 4/5 - I have a new respect for this card, after having my board position picked apart by these guys. If you pair it with Ruby Pyromancers, they are devestating. Solid in its own right to pick off an enemy flier, or to take out an enemy post-combat.

Arena Brawler - 3/5 - Hes not bad for a 2 drop. He's likely not going to last very long, but hes virtually guarenteed to trade with any other 2 or 3 drop out there.

Bombsmith - 3/5 - I like this guy. Gets rid of early fliers like Thunderbird as well as cleaning up a troop post-combat. This makes him useful in both early and midgame.

Crushing Blow - 3/5 - Actually not that bad. Although you MUST play it on your attackers, it usually makes them tough enough to blow through a chump blocker while inflicting a decent amount of damage.

Mortar Strike - 3/5 - Haven't really gotten a chance to play this card yet, but I can see this as a decent removal spell. The added bonus of removing the top 3 troops in an opponent's deck is nice, as it usually means they'll start top-decking shards late game giving them dead draws. Hurts that the spell isn't at instant speed, though.

Ruby Aura - 3/5 - Good combat trick that will usually take out their man. Ruby is loaded with power-heavy creatures, which makes swiftstrike especially good.

Savage Raider - 3/5 - A good aggressive early card, as very few people play early 1 drops. This guy is also strong enough to take out the majority of the 2 drops in the game.

Suppressive Fire - 3/5 - In a hyper-aggressive ruby deck, this card could win you the game out of nowhere. They usually also table which makes picking up one of these desirable.

Scrap Welder - 2/5 - Meh, the ability to bash your opponent in the face for 5 is nice as a finisher, but this guy's board presence for 4 is pretty negligible afterwards.

Shadowblade Lurker - 2/5 - If you're really hurting for creatures, he is playable, but he is an overpriced vanilla 2/3.

Wrathseeker - 2/5 - He takes awhile to get going which lowers his value. Without a trick of some sort, he is also going to get chump-blocked and killed. He can be devestating if given evasion or even swiftstrike.

Incite Fury - 2/5 - Playable if you have a large amount of evasive creatures, but my main concern with this card is that most fliers are very frail and vulnerable. Playing this card on it is just asking to get two for 1ed from a removal spell.

Bloodcrazed Zealot - 2/5 - He's runnable if you need a late game beater, but I'd gladly give up the ability to block for the extra point of toughness from Headless Exectioner. If you have an orc theme going, could be ok.

Baby Yeti - 1/5 - Doesn't remain relevant long enough, even if you do hit your opponent on turn 1.

Giant Army Ants - 1/5 - Not enough oomph for 4 cost. Your opponent's 2 drops are going to trade up with this guy, and even if you do sneak in a point of damage or two, its not worth the huge handicap in momentum.

Crimson Clarity - 1/5 - Giving up a card for one temporary resource is not worth it to me.

meetthefuture
03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Ruby Aura 3/5? Are you even serious? This is probably the best common in ruby (competing with burn)....

AdamAoE2
03-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Ruby Aura 3/5? Are you even serious? This is probably the best common in ruby (competing with burn)....

It's a good card that I'd be happy to run, but I don't think its first-pick worthy ahead of the 5/5s and 4/5s on my list.

AdamAoE2
04-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Sorry this took so long, been busy moving. Here's the rest of the commons and my personal opinion.

Artifact Commons

1562 Sapper's Charge - 4/5 - Splashable removal for any color that comes at the cost of being a bit more expensive as well as losing the element of surprise. Still a great card that can jam the early game up for your opponent.

1565 Pterobot - 3/5 - This card is one of the essentials for the dwarf deck. If you see this going later then 4th or 5th pick, its a pretty strong signal that dwarves are open.

1563 Charge Bot - 3/5 - I like this little guy, a staple of dwarf decks, but also good in other decks. A good target for Devoted Emissary in a pinch if other targets aren't around.

1566 Turreted Wall - 3/5 - I don't mind running this guy in most cases. He stalls most creatures while pinging your opponent every turn. Also has some sick synergy with Cerulean Mentalist.

1564 Effigy of Nulzann - 3/5 - This guy is pretty good for most decks, since he has the versatility to become whatever you need most. In Sapphire, he is 2/2 flier, or in ruby, he can be almost unblockable.

Construction Plans: War Hulk - 3/5* - Since this card is fairly useless to anybody that isn't into dwarves, this card routinely tables around late, and is nice for dwarves.

Heavy Welding Bot - 3/5 - Obviously better when paired with a draft deck that can bring back Sapper's Charge, but hes not too bad.

Infiltrator Bot - 3/5 - Hes a bit slow and vulnerable, but will usually table around late and can fit into most decks. You'd be surprised how often this guy breaks games wide open.

Adaptable Infusion Device - 2/5 - Not a great card, but could find a place if you have a ton of double-threshold cards in the 2-4 range. I find that I rarely want to commit the 4 mana towards this, though.

Assault Bot - 2/5 - Vulnerable to removal, and prone to being chumped by a lower-costed dude. Better options out there for a 4 drop, but pretty good if you're playing as Feather Drifting Downriver.

Axe Bot - 2/5 - Not worth the loss of tempo and a card to give yourself a chump blocker that buffs one of your men. If you're really struggling for a 23rd card, I could see it in a heavy evasive deck.

Ivory Pawn - 1/5 - Does too little, too slowly. Slow lifegain at the cost of a card is almost never good in draft.

stiii
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
I mostly agree with your rankings so I'm only going to point out where I disagree. I do think that a simple order is a bit basic but it is a reasonable starting point. You do have this issue where you rank cards that are good in the dwarf/robot deck and they move up or down a lot depending on the amount you can support them.

Blood- pretty much agree. I think there is a big gap between corpse fly and ranger blue you are sapphire but this just highlight how bad this colour. Taking murder early as a splash seems fine but the rest of the cards are underwelming.

Diamond - Shield Trainer seems really high. I think unless you are really aggressive and benefit from having one drops this card is rather unexciting. It makes all your creatures slightly better but only if you draw in early, later on it is just terrible. I'd probably move it down below repel. I'd also move Guard Dog up a bit. Not for every deck but if you have enough evasion creatures a 3/3 defensive creature is perfectly fine.

Sapphire- Devoted Emissary seems way to high here. A 4/3 for four isn't really a discount so you are replying on its ability being at least neutral. returning a Buccaneer is fine but returning your creatures as well as theirs undoes some of the tempo gain that makes Buccaneer so good. Sapphire Aura is a bit high, putting auras on your creatures is a good way to get 2 for 1ed and the pump is pretty small. Cavern Commando like guard dog is good in the right deck and sapphire will often be that type of deck as you get to gem up 4 flyers. Mutate is also playable it isn't great but it replaces it self for two and reduce or hold off early aggression reasonable well and still be an ok trick later on. It is certainly better than the unplayable cards above it.

Wild - Briar Legion seems like a pretty insane gamble to take so high. The first one you draw is terrible and the second is good but not insane. This means you need at least four before you are really happy running him and that is a lot of any one card to get. Wild Growth again isn't quite this good you seem to be valuing tricks really high, sometimes there just won't be a good situation to play these cards and they can get countered by their own tricks or removal spells. This one is still pretty good but I'd certainly take Honeycap over it in mono wild.

Ruby. Same thing as before with Ruby Aura I'd only move it down a bit as it does work well with lots of ruby's troops like you said.

Artifacts. For these it depends a lot if you are on the dwarf plan or not. In a normal deck I wouldn't really want charge bot or Turreted Wall if possible.

jtatta
04-02-2014, 06:51 AM

That's a bold statement. I personally feel that Ruby Pyromancer is the best common Ruby has and competes with Buccaneer for best common in the entire set. I'd rank Burn second and then Sniper/Berserker/Aura are 3rd-5th in whatever other you'd like and works for your deck. Still, RP and Burn are pretty far ahead of the rest of the Ruby commons.

meetthefuture
04-02-2014, 07:27 AM
That's a bold statement. I personally feel that Ruby Pyromancer is the best common Ruby has and competes with Buccaneer for best common in the entire set. I'd rank Burn second and then Sniper/Berserker/Aura are 3rd-5th in whatever other you'd like and works for your deck. Still, RP and Burn are pretty far ahead of the rest of the Ruby commons.
Yeah, I've heard the opinion on pyro from you and other good players, but I still don't agree on that -I'm rarely considering picking pyro early in the pack even if I'm already sure I'm playing ruby. I would actually prefer to have a command tower rather than pyro.
To be honest, I might pick arena brawler over pyromancer in some situations - it trades prety well above the curve so I wouldn't be upset to see it later in the game.

jtatta
04-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I've heard the opinion on pyro from you and other good players, but I still don't agree on that -I'm rarely considering picking pyro early in the pack even if I'm already sure I'm playing ruby. I would actually prefer to have a command tower rather than pyro.
To be honest, I might pick arena brawler over pyromancer in some situations - it trades prety well above the curve so I wouldn't be upset to see it later in the game.

I'm curious to hear your reasoning on that. You say that you'd take Arena Brawler because it can trade up but Pyromancer lets you trade all of your guys up. Being able to "level up" all of your troops makes it so that your opponent hardly ever has any profitable attacks and if you're able to get a few of them in a Sapphire deck, making your Phoenix Guard Scouts 3/2 is pretty huge. This draft format is more about tempo than any draft format I've ever played and as such I just can't imagine ever passing a card that makes all of our troops bigger than our opponents.

Also, saying that Command Tower is better is just asinine. Command Tower is pretty cool, sure, but it can't attack for two or come down on turn two.

meetthefuture
04-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm curious to hear your reasoning on that.
I meant I like brawler a bit more later in the game, when you have 1-2 cards in your hand. Like, pyro will have less targets to inspire and brawler will be able to trade a bit better(yes, pyro will allow others to trade better - but that means you set someone else to die in trade). Maybe it just because I like defensive playing much more than agressive. Not like brawler is better than pyro -but, as I said, sometimes I will overpick it, depending on what I plan to do

About command tower/pyro - I agree my comparision was not right. But what I was thinking about was - artifacts are harder to answer and pyro rarely attacks anyway - with 1 health basically any troop on opposing side of the table is able to trade with it (I'm pretty sure I've also heard it from you some long time ago)

I have never said pyro is not good. He is, definitely. But I just wouldn't call him 'the best', that was the point of my disagreement

jtatta
04-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Oh, I'm aware that you realize Pyromancer is good. I never thought for a second that you thought otherwise. I know that you're better than that.

I think that playing more proactively in draft will almost always yield better results than playing reactively. Thanks for your response though, it's nice to see other players insight on certain cards, even if I don't agree. ;)

- John

Rycajo
04-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Ruby Pyromancer is amazing, especially if you can get multiple copies. I was able to get 5 of them in a recent draft. I had three of them in one opening hand and everything else dies very quickly when all of my troops were getting +3 to the front end. However, I was sweating bullets hoping my opponent didn't have a "crappy" card like Sorrow - nearly half of my deck had 1 for a back end.

AdamAoE2
04-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Starting the Uncommons now, here is my Uncommon Sapphire Tier List.

Sapphire Uncommons

1572 Cloud Titan - 5/5 - An excellent uncommon that brings both evasion and beef to the table. Can match up against nearly any other flier, and puts your opponent on a definite clock. A great finisher.

1573 Cerulean Mentalist - 4/5 - I really like this guy, as if they don't kill it immediately, you are probably going to win the game on the backs of your sapphire fliers. Excellent card.

1574 Mistborn Wendigo - 4/5 - I routinely see this guy table in drafts, and I'm not sure why. At worst, he is a 1/5 with the ability to fly, and at best, he is a 5/1 flying beatstick smashing your opponent's face. A solid addition to any draft.

1575 Wizard of the Silver Talon - 3/5 - For 4 cost, you get 3/4's worth of minions which is decent, but if you can give the wizard a way to fly with Sapphire Aura, Phoenix Guard Trainer, or Feather, he becomes excellent.

1576 Air Superiority - 3/5 - I find this card works the best in Sapphire/Diamond decks, but only if you can play it early. Generally on and after the 3rd turn, you are going to want to start playing men and this threatens your tempo. I don't mind running one in my decks generally, though.

Flock of Seagulls - 3/5 - Generally not a fan of the heavily defensive cards, but this one is okay. Since it can stop any creature, even those with crush, he essentially shuts down your opponent's best troop. My main concern is that since he is so frail, you can't really rely on him to be on the board at any given time, since anything from Sapper Charges to Bombsmiths take him out and leave you open to your opponent's fatty.

Monkey of the Nine Tails - 3/5 - Haven't personally really used this guy yet, but I can see a use for him copying obsolete guys, or a Worker Bot. I just find generally he doesn't make the cut in most of my decks.

Polymorph: Dingler - 3/5 - A 5 mana hard removal card. I'm generally tentative about 5 mana cost removal cards, since you have to give up your turn to play them, but since this one gets rid of any creature, it's good.

Stormcall - 3/5 - In a tight stalemate, this card can win you the game, but in my personal experience, sapphire typically tends to win through evasion, so stalemates are rare where you could utilize this card effectively. Still, I'd sub it in from reserves after a particularly arduous game 1.

Research Librarian - 2/5 - I find that if you can get this guy's ability to be low enough where you can be using it reasonably, you are probably already winning the game. Fringe playable.

Arcane Shield - 2/5 - It's a reserve card against decks that are heavy in removal, but generally its not very high on my list of tricks.

Cerulean Grand Strategist - 2/5 - I want to like this guy, but I feel like if you had guys that were the same power as their guys, you'd be attacking with them instead of just using them to tap

Technical Genius - 2/5 - Obviously depends heavily on your draft deck, but I find that there are better options available to fill a 2 slot then marginally reducing the cost of a few artifacts.

Mimic - 1/5 - This would be an excellent card if the card you copied went directly into play. But since you then have to recast it after copying it, you give up two turns to get last turn's best creature on the board. Too slow for me.

Spawn of Othuyeg - 1/5 - Much like the other mill cards in the set, could theoretically work if you got an insane number of mill cards late, but not really my area of expertise.

Elite Battle Tech - 1/5 - This guy is too expensive, and his cost is way too prohibitive to be of much use in draft. Buccaneer costs 3 less, does the same thing, and is stronger.

Clear Sky Stormcaller - 1/5 - Arguably one of the worst cards in the set, I cannot see a situation where I would want to run this card. His ability is basic, meaning he can't be used after attackers are declared, nor after combat damage has been dealt. If he could at least ping a champion, he would have some marginal use, but this card is the closest thing to unplayable in the entire set.

AdamAoE2
04-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Blood Uncommons

1580 Corrupt Harvester - 5/5 - This guy is outstanding. If your opponent can't kill him immediately, he is going to win you the race all on his own. Loses a bit of usefulness against another blood deck, but I find most people generally don't run very many blood troops in general.

1581 Rot Caster - 5/5 - This guy is really really good. There will almost always be a time when there is a 3 resource card on the field to destroy, and hes got just enough oomph with him to be able to kill another creature on his own. Much like Giant Corpse Fly, he hands you 2 for 1s on a platter.

1583 Necessary Sacrifice - 4/5 - Pretty good card for those leftover early game 1/1s that end up cluttering your board. Also works great with champions that bring 1/1s into play. Pretty solid overall.

1584 Brood Creeper - 3/5 - If you can somehow get this guy going, his ability is going to rapidly overrun your opponent. Really nice if you can play him and then destroy their blocker next turn, giving you free men. He's pretty okay.

1582 Shamed Gladiator - 3/5 - This guy is actually pretty good. You take 2 damage at the cost of having a guy that is under the curve for his power/ability. He's a 3/3 for 2 in wild, or your choice of a 2/2 flier for 2, or a 2/2 swiftstrike for 2. Socketed cards are just so nice with their versatility that it is almost impossible for it to be lower then a 3/5 on my rating scale.

Shin'hare Eulogist - 3/5 - It is actually easier then you think to make this guy a real threat very quickly. Even if you don't have a way to sacrifice your guys, you will find him become a 4/3 or a 5/4 very quickly simply from the results of normal combat.

Blood Savant - 2/5 - In the Late Game, this guy's ability can be brutal but since his ability is basic, he vulnerable to a cheap removal during your opponent's turn. I find that most of the time, he sits on the board doing nothing, since you are playing to your curve and have no mana to spend on him until the end of the game. The triple blood threshold hurts, too.

Boltpaw Wizard - 2/5 - The ability to revert any troops isn't bad, but I like a little bit more oomph on my 5 drops then this guy. Still, if you have a bunch of dudes, his ability can be useful, but I'm not a fan.

Bone Warrior - 2/5 - Interesting card idea, but unfortunately his effectiveness ends there. 4 mana to bring back a 1/2 is not really that effective, although if I understand the card correctly, he would retain any buffs he gained otherwise which could make him marginally useful in very specific situations.

Fang of the Mountain God - 2/5 - Okay for a hyper-aggressive deck, but only when played on turn 1. After that, he becomes fairly awful, since you are given the choice of killing him off voluntarily or taking damage every turn.

Incubation Slave - 2/5 - Can be pretty intimidating if its sitting on the board accumulating counters, but as soon as you get to 5 resources, your opponent is probably going to kill it off. Late game, it is extremely impractical, since any amount of 2/1s you would want take too long to get.

Throat Cutter - 2/5 - This guy's lower rating is due to the fact that there simply aren't very many good orcs in draft yet. If you have a bunch of the good orcs, then this guy becomes really good, but I've found in my experiences that specifically drafting orcs is not a very good strategy as they are very frail and there aren't very many good ones.

Xentoth's Chosen - 2/5 - If you can get this guy onto the field, hes pretty good, but I find by the time you have 6 resources, you need every guy you can get on the board. He will end the game quickly though, if you're in a stalemate.

Carrion Blob - 1/5 - Only use for this guy that I can see is in a mill deck, where your opponent is going to have lots of cards in his graveyard anyway.

Corrupted Afterlife - 1/5 - 6 mana for three 2/2s is pretty awful. There are plenty of 6+ cost cards out there with more power this this card.

Shadow Rend - 1/5 - If you have enough troops bashing your opponent's face where this would be effective, you are probably going to win the game anyway on tempo, and would be better off playing another guy.

Wall of Corpses - 1/5 - Very Late in the game, this guy becomes a Flock of Seagulls that doesn't fly. It's not worth the card to play.

AdamAoE2
04-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Diamond Uncommons

1585 Solitary Exile - 5/5 - Three resources to remove any card from play. With Constant-removal being near non-existant, it is a phenominal removal spell, fighting with Murder for best in the set. Take this card immediately as diamond, and don't look back.

1586 Phoenix Guard Aeronaut - 4/5 - This guy is a solid addition to any diamond deck. Large evasive guys are always nice, but the ability to socket in either swiftstrike or Lifedrain elevates this guy to the next level. Swiftstrike ensures that he beats almost every flier out there, and lifedrain ensures that you will win races.

1587 Shellsafe Sure Shot- 4/5 - This guy is great. Aside from the obvious synergy with Inspire, you are getting the equivalent of 4/5-worth of power/toughness for 4 resources with a decent ability trick to go with it.

1588 Protectorate Clergyman - 3/5 - Ruby Pyromancer and Shield Master rolled onto one card with a pretty good frame to back it up. This guy fits well into any diamond deck and can usually eat three and four drops with his stats.

1589 Chimera Guard Outrider - 3/5 - This guy has the potential to absolutely destroy your opponent if you can get any sort of buff on him. Noble Citizenry makes this guy an absolute monster, turning a 0/4 into a 8/6 on the attack. Also works well with inspire boost effects, or Wild Growths. He's not bad even as a 4/4 on the attack for 4.

Angelic Ascension - 3/5 - Decent card. Let's you turn one of your nobodys into a 4/4 facesmasher at instant speed, although this trick is vulnerable to getting 2-for-1ed, since your target is likely going to be frail and open to a light removal spell. When you do get it off though, its pretty solid.

Blinding Light - 3/5 - This card has the potential to absolutely destroy your opponent's board position depending on how combat shapes up. It's not the best trick diamond has, but it is definitely a solid addition to most decks.

Forgotten Lord - 3/5 - This guy is solid. A great end-game option that is pretty tough for your opponent to deal with without sacrificing two cards, he is definitely a presence in the end-game.

Heroic Inspiration - 3/5 - It's okay, but repel is a better option. This card will do in a pinch if you need combat tricks, as it almost assuredly will destroy their creature unless your opponent has a trick as well.

Howling Ambush - 3/5 - This card ranges from poor to amazing. Given good circumstances, it will let you destroy one of your opponent's creatures for free. In late game stalesmates, it is a dead draw, as you are going to be playing everything in your hand. Again, a card that can be great in certain circumstances.

Kraken Guard Mariner - 2/5 - One of the weaker inspire cards, steadfast is one of the weaker abilities in the format. It's one of those abilities that is nice to have, but unlikely to change the outcome of a game very much. Still, if you're hurting for dudes, the guy is playable at a 2/2 for 2, but there are better 2-drops out there.

Loregoyle - 2/5 - I wouldn't run him in my maindeck, but I would consider subbing him in from reserve if you need an answer for fliers, or if your opponent is running a mill deck.

Prairie Scout - 2/5 - Not really that great, although he does remain a constant aggrivation to your opponent into the mid-game. I don't feel that his activation ability is worth the loss of a card, though.

Righteous Paladin - 2/5 - This guy can get scary pretty quickly with lifedrain, but unless you have a ton of passive lifegain cards, I don't think he is really that great. If you pick up like 3 or 4, then feel free to go Dimmid and start bashing their face in the beginning, though.

Rose Lion - 2/5 - Takes too long to become relevant, and a dead draw later. In a best case scenario, if you play him on turn 2, and wait until turn 5, you will have a 3/4. If you are playing a slower defensive deck, it could have a home, but I'd rather play other options then this guy.

Stoneskin - 2/5 - One of the weaker tricks in the game, I would consider subbing it into reserves when facing decks with a ton of removal.

Infusion of Diamond - 1/5 - In a perfect dream scenario, this card nets you like 6-10 life at the cost of a card and 2 resources. In most circumstances, you would be playing this card for 3-4 life. Like most temporary lifegain cards, the effect is not powerful enough to warrant the loss of a card that does nothing to improve your board position.

AdamAoE2
04-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Added a table of contents to the first post for easy jump-to. :D

AdamAoE2
04-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Wild Uncommons

1592 Crazed Squirrel Titan - 4/5 - Survival of the Fittest baked onto a giant dude. The ability to pretty much kill any creature on the board is huge, but he comes accompanied by a big body. This guy is a solid addition to any wild deck.

1593 Manti Elder Druid - 3/5 - He is a Boulder Brute that gives up Spellshield to revert a creature. He has potential against certain decks and situations, and is solid enough to run maindeck. I feel like half the time though, you will be playing him just as a vanilla 4/4 to answer a threat instead of for his ability. For that reason, I feel like Boulder Brute is still a better 4/4 for 5.

1594 Nelebrin Skirmisher - 3/5 - When socketed into sapphire, this guy becomes a powered up Thunderbird. I only think hes viable with evasion though, otherwise he is rather unextraordinary.

1595 Ambershire Instigator - 3/5 - I consider Boulder Brute to be better, especially when you have Spellshield on it, but this guy can start stomping faces if he's left alone. Still, this guy is runnable.

1596 Turbulence - 3/5 - Wild's answer alongside Survival of the Fittest to deal with fliers. Strictly a reserves card.

Rune Ear Commander - 3/5* - This guy can get pretty big if you have a ton of shin'hare on your side of the board, but really only useful for a shin'hare deck. It is pretty unusual to have enough troops to support him to where he becomes threatening.

Bucktooth Commander - 2/5 - If you're a big fan of the shin'hare decks, then go for it. I find that you rarely will get the shin'hare cards you will need to make this guy worthwhile, though.

Chlorophyllia - 2/5 - Not a fan of the remake in draft. It's essentially a Howling Brave that eats up your 2nd turn to work. Howling Brave is a better choice.

Dandelion Sprite - 2/5 - After you have three wild threshold, he becomes a 1/2 flier with spellshield. Even if your opponent can't kill this guy, you're not really going to be able to do much with only 1 power on this guy.

Oakhenge Ceremony - 2/5 - Deck Thinner that helps you find an answer, especially if you have a bomb. Not my type of card though, as with my luck, i usually reveal 5 resources and get nothing.

Gigantisaur - 2/5 - Its a huge beatstick for 7 mana. The problem is that it is a dead card in your hand until the 7th turn (or later, depending on your resource draws). If he gets onto the board and stays there, you are going to win, but getting there is challenge. I try to stay away from anything costing 6+ mana unless it has the potential to just instantly win me the game, and this card won't do that without crush.

Pheromones - 2/5 - Generally not that useful unless locked into a huge stalemate, in which case you're going to win the game outright with this card. I'd only run it if your opponent was a heavy defender.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal - 1/5 - For 2 more resources, you get 1 extra power then Glimmerglen Witch who will gain you a similar amount of life. No thanks.

Stargazer - 2/5 - The Diamond ability is fairly poor with this guy, but the sapphire ability is pretty good. Worthless otherwise.

Succulent Roostasaur - 2/5 - It is rare with this guy is going to be bigger then a 4/4 or a 5/5, and that is only going to happen with a heavy shin'hare deck. Exhausting your entire board is probably not going to leave you in an advantageous position, though.

Wind of Change - 1/5 - Constants are so rare, that this card is fairly useless. The absolute best case scenario is that you can destroy a Solitary Exile, and the worst case scenario is that the card is a completely dead draw. Stay away.

Nibblin Hunting Pack - 1/5 - He starts out way too small, and costs way too much to get him to a respectable level to be viable.

AdamAoE2
04-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Ruby Uncommons

1597 Veteran Gladiator - 4/5 - This guy is a solid aggressive threat that is hard for your opponent to deal with until they have two tougher guys on the board. Usually smacks your opponent for 6 or 9 before they can manage to deal with her effectively.

1598 Ruby Enchantress - 4/5 - This is a great inspire card that will dominate the board if she is allowed to stay. Swiftstrike is a powerful effect and getting it on all of your men for free is huge, especially if you are top heavy with cards like Gem-Crazed Berserker or Veteran Gladiator.

1599 Hellhound - 4/5 - Works the best with the sapphire flying gem, and essentially will win you the game next turn since you can bash their face in for 10+. Also respectable with the swiftstrike gem ensuring that it will beat every guy on the ground.

1600 Elimination Specialist - 4/5* - It's very easy to have 3+ artifacts on the board when you play this guy which makes him a cheaper Sniper of Gawaine. A solid removal option for dwarf decks.

Assault Technician - 4/5 - You get 5/5s worth of power and attack for 5 which is a good value, as well as the ability to start making your bots bigger threats. You also get a dwarf and a robot for your War Hulks. Just everything you want for your dwarf decks rolled into one card.

Burn to the Ground - 4/5 - A solid removal spell that also doubles as a game-ender out of nowhere. A great card.

Avalanche Giant - 3/5 - This card is okay. Although a little bit on the weaker side statistically, his ability is pretty damn close to being bomb-like. For the rest of the game, your resources become Super-Burns that will start clearing the board pretty quickly. Hes not too bad.

Imp Hoodlums - 3/5 - This is more of a reserves card, but it gets such a high rating due to its extreme effectiveness against the popular dwarf archetypes. This guy eats their Pterobots, Volcannons, and War Hulks. Don't forget you have it, and sub it in during relevant matchups.

Daring Swordsman - 3/5 - This guy is kind of meh on his own as essentially a 4/2 for 4, but really gains value with pump effects. Ruby Enchantress also makes this guy a beast. If you have a way to consistently give him a boost, such as with Inspire or Noble Citizenry then this guy becomes a savage beater.

War Machinist - 3/5 - This guy will do an average of 5+ damage to your opponent over the course of the game if he stays on the board. A good addition to the dwarf deck.

Sword Trainer - 3/5 - She is a decent inspire card, but her 4 cost hurts for how small she is. She does snowball hard with Ruby Pyromancer since she'll be giving all your future men +3 ATK. I generally run her if I have enough ways to boost her attack to make her inspire more effective. Lionel Flynn is a great champion to use with her, since if she remains alive she is going to pretty much win you the game on her own.

Furious Taskmaster - 2/5 - Could be good if you have a ton of orcs, but speed is most effective earlier in the game when the board hasn't been established yet and the extra 1 cost is going to slow you down more then you think.

Goreseeker - 2/5 - This guy is a decent card, although it does take awhile to get going before it becomes a big threat. A little too frail though for 5 which is what really turns me off to this card.

Demolition - 2/5 - I had a chance to run this in my last draft, and it can really stall your opponent's play. Most people will play pretty hard to their curve, and this card can be devestating if your opponent doesn't draw into gems. That being said, too often it is a dead draw late game, and not worth taking too highly.

Fiendish Cabalist- 2/5 - I could see subbing this card in from reserves if your opponent is playing a very slow deck, but generally he will only be useful for a turn or two which limits his value.

Minotaur Mercenary - 1/5 - I really prefer to play cards that I can control which turns me off to this card. On the one hand, you will have a huge advantage with a 4/3 on the board on turn 2, but the risk is to sacrifice your 2nd turn AND give your opponent a dude. I did try running this in a few drafts, but he doesn't really change all that much even if you do win the coin flip.

Crazed Rummaging - 1/5 - Unless you're completely shard-flooded, I can't see a situation where you would want to use this card.

AdamAoE2
04-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Artifact Uncommons

1602 Volcannon - 5/5 - THE definitive win condition for dwarf decks. This card will often just win you the game out of nowhere. I could see using this card even if you weren't running a dwarf deck, simply because of how easy it is to get bots with Bertram. With Bertram's ability to make free 1/1s typically useful enough on its own, I don't see why you wouldn't run this card if you were in Sapphire.

1603 Bottled Vitae - 3/5 - Typically more powerful with dwarves, as a cheap artifact as well as the synergy with other cards like Elimination Specialist, or Heavy Welding Bot. Still runnable as a decent filler card to cycle through your deck when needed. The free charge also shouldn't be overlooked.

Command Tower - 2/5 - I think this card is generally only really better with Bertram, making his guys 2/1s and contributing another artifact to Pterobots/Elimination Specialist. Outside of that, the card is merely "okay", essentially giving you a Ruby Pyromancer to all your men.

Experimental War Hulk - 2/5 - A weaker boulder brute with the ability to become stronger in the late game. He's not bad with dwarves, but there are definitely stronger cards out there.

Dwarven Turbine - 2/5 - Like most artifacts, it's really only effective with dwarves. It could be nice to untap worker bots to give you an extra tap towards War Hulks.

Goblin Cooking Pot - 2/5 - An underwhelming card that basically one for ones with your opponent's worst card in hand. Relatively unexciting.

Worker Bot Factory - 2/5 - By the time you get this thing going, you will likely have already brought your war hulks into play, so this becomes essentially a Flock of Seagulls. Still though, has some uses with Elimination Specialist, but generally takes way too long to get going.

Secret Laboratory - 2/5 - Once this gets going, it's going to virtually ensure that you always draw at least something each turn in a top-decking war. Cycling through your deck is always good, but the flaw is the card's cost which eats up your pivotal 4th turn.

Runic Monolith - 2/5 - I'm generally not a fan of this card, since it really is only effective every other turn. Becomes a bit better with dwarves, but not enough to be very high priority.

The Fate Rack - 1/5 - Another piece to a mill deck, if you see a couple of these floating around late and you think you can make it work, go for it. Not my preference, though.

Hex Engine- 1/5 - The most useful time to play this card is on the pivotal 4th turn, which then means you will be behind in tempo at the expense of being able to play huge guys in your hand. The flaw with this, is that if you have a bunch of huge guys in your hand and you don't draw this card your deck is going to be even slower and vulnerable to the opening.

Malfunctioning War Bot - 1/5 - Aggressive drop for 2 resources, but has nothing that really elevates it to a good level, since it doesn't really win very many combats against other guys.

Dwarven Armory- 1/5 - Way too slow to be very effective. I feel that a free Bravery every turn is not worth the loss of a card and the amount of type it takes to ramp up to be very effective.

Cosmic Totem - 1/5 - Useless against everything except the very rare mill deck, and even then you're probably better off trying to kill them before they mill you.

AdamAoE2
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I updated all of the outdated stats on these cards and added another month's worth of perspective to my ratings, moving them around. I'm going to be writing another post soon with a few interesting interactions/combos that typically aren't seen. I'm also going to write up typical archetypes for draft and the cards to look out for. I hope my ratings help somebody! :-)

Jacklau89
05-14-2014, 01:31 AM
I updated all of the outdated stats on these cards and added another month's worth of perspective to my ratings, moving them around. I'm going to be writing another post soon with a few interesting interactions/combos that typically aren't seen. I'm also going to write up typical archetypes for draft and the cards to look out for. I hope my ratings help somebody! :-)

Thanks a bunch Adam for the analysis of cards in draft:)! It definitely helps me to decide which one is a good pick in draft. Never played magic before and its great to have a guide as reference so that I can start somewhere.

Warrender
05-14-2014, 08:44 AM
I hate to pick a nit but you have the rarity of two Wild cards switched. Oakhenge Ceremony is an uncommon not a common and Concubunny is a common not an uncommon.

AdamAoE2
05-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I hate to pick a nit but you have the rarity of two Wild cards switched. Oakhenge Ceremony is an uncommon not a common and Concubunny is a common not an uncommon.

Good catch, I forgot that they swapped the rarity on those two a few patches ago. I'll fix that when I get home. Thanks! :)

Jyndreytu
05-16-2014, 07:18 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you've posted, although I think Forgotten Lord is definitely better than Chimera Guard Outrider, and would move him up in the list.

Overall very good analysis.

Zygon
06-29-2014, 03:39 PM
I pretty heavily disagree with quite a few of your rankings, but one in particular rustled my jimmies.

In draft Perm +2/+2 and steadfast is game ending on the right troop if they don't have murder, repel, or some other ridiculous removal that's hard to come by in draft.

Diamond Aura has won me quite a few drafts being equipped on Griffins, for a 4/6 flyer defender is a 5 turn clock and almost impossible to get past. Not to mention easy to put in any deck you main diamond in. 4/3 Quick strider with steadfast/first strike? Hell yeah. Phoenix Guard Aeronaut with some awesome gem turning into a 5/4 gigantic bomb? Yes please. CHIMERA GUARD OUTRIDER 8 attack when attacking, and a 6 defense wall? It's off the CHAIN. Not to mention it makes other great troops that much better in other colors that you can splash, like basically ANYTHING green, most black/sapphire troops, and even some red troops.

It's seriously a 3.5-4/5 and a great supporting card to turn almost anything into a bomb and a wall at the same time.

AdamAoE2
06-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I pretty heavily disagree with quite a few of your rankings, but one in particular rustled my jimmies.

In draft Perm +2/+2 and steadfast is game ending on the right troop if they don't have murder, repel, or some other ridiculous removal that's hard to come by in draft.

Diamond Aura has won me quite a few drafts being equipped on Griffins, for a 4/6 flyer defender is a 5 turn clock and almost impossible to get past. Not to mention easy to put in any deck you main diamond in. 4/3 Quick strider with steadfast/first strike? Hell yeah. Phoenix Guard Aeronaut with some awesome gem turning into a 5/4 gigantic bomb? Yes please. CHIMERA GUARD OUTRIDER 8 attack when attacking, and a 6 defense wall? It's off the CHAIN. Not to mention it makes other great troops that much better in other colors that you can splash, like basically ANYTHING green, most black/sapphire troops, and even some red troops.

It's seriously a 3.5-4/5 and a great supporting card to turn almost anything into a bomb and a wall at the same time.

It has been three months since I wrote most of these card rankings and I will be writing a new card ranking post soon. My perspective has changed on quite a few of these cards. Diamond Aura is a decent card, but I can't quite justify ranking it higher then a 2. My biggest problem is that it is such a high risk card to play. You are opening yourself up to getting two-for-oned from any number of removal spells, as well as potentially sacrificing your entire turn to do so. Its okay if you play it on a Spellshielded Boulder Brute or Forgotten Lord, but in most cases I would much rather play a Noble Citizenry if possible.

AdamAoE2
09-17-2014, 03:30 PM
I have had a few people message me in-game and ask me if I was planning on updating this list as it is fairly outdated. I am currently in the process of rewriting and improving this thread and will update soon. Until then, most of the information in here I feel is still accurate. =)