PDA

View Full Version : Idea - New players guild

Xenavire
03-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Obviously, this is not a new idea, but I have thought up some enhancements.

First off, most new players get bombarded by guild requests/invites at the start of the game, with no information on what they do or how they work. So a fully sanctioned CZE built players guild would be perfect for this - as you create the account, or you first log in, you see a pop-up:

New player? Join the new players guild to receive instant advice and assistance!

And if the player declines, the pop-up goes away, and they are no longer molested by pop-ups.

Obviously, this part of the idea could easily be tweaked or expanded upon, but the idea is obviously to give new players (especially PvP players, who might dismiss tutorials) a direct channel to more knowledgeable people.

How would this guild function? Well, obviously, there would be no inherent bonuses to sticking around, as deck sharing and any guild-wide perks would be turned off by default, with explanations on mouse-over, telling them that this is a basic learning guild and you are meant to graduate to something higher.

Also, it would be headed by CZE employees, who would review applications from experienced players - any who get accepted would be added to this guild as an advisor, regardless of any other guilds they would be a part of, with a separate interface for this guild - this means people wouldn't have to quit a guild to be able to give advice to new players asking.

No rewards - I feel that giving rewards would actually be toxic and would drive people to try and be an advisor without actually intending to give advice. So all advisors would basically be doing community service - it would be completely voluntary.

The benefits? Obviously, to any new player, even right now in the alpha, there is a lot of confusion. Right now, people are more than happy enough to lend a hand, but when the population booms, and people spend more time playing, and less time idling, we become much more likely to have people insult a new player for being ignorant than actually helping them. In an ideal world, this would never happen, but it is unlikely that we will be able to avoid it.

So the new player guild would be the go-to place for all these newbish questions. Whether they are having UI issues, navigation problems, are unable to understand the store or auction house, or are simply looking for a little advice with their first deck, there would be an open resource and friendly people there waiting to help them.

A lesser benefit would be that the new player would not spam up general chat with questions.

Why make a guild run by CZE themselves? Because of the UI integration that could be easily (well, I would hope) accomplished - a pop-up isn't something a standard guild would be able to offer, and it is hardly fair to all the other players to have someone broadcasting every few minutes to invite new players (who may not want to go near a random guild without a clear indication of what they do.) It also should ensure that the best people for the 'job' are selected and brought together, rather than having a bunch of smaller guilds fighting over new players like squabbling children. (I have seen it in WoW. It isn't pretty.)

Where did this idea come from? Well, Blizzard (ugh, yes I know) had a system for guilds to be linked up with new players in an official way. I wanted to expand on this idea, since we are going to (mostly) have the whole Hex population on a single mega server - a guild in each region would be a fantastic way to help new people.

Oh, and this would be designed to not prevent new players wanting to upgrade to a new guild eventually. I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this idea.

Does anyone have any critiques or suggestions?

mach
03-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Who wants to run around with an <I'm a Noob> guild tag? It's a great way to get laughed at. And targeted for scams.

Xenavire
03-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Who wants to run around with an <I'm a Noob> guild tag? It's a great way to get laughed at. And targeted for scams.

It would be temporary - the person would be free to leave whenever they want.

My friend did suggest a less intrusive solution, but it would be more open for people to insult or otherwise abuse new players (it would require moderation) and that is a dedicated chat channel for new player help, or maybe just general troubleshooting.

I wouldn't see it as a problem usually, but Hex is going to have a fairly steep learning curve in places (hopefully the tutorial will deal with this) and people seeking assistance should be offered it.

The other benefit is that experienced guild leaders could use the guild/chat to help people who are simply new and looking for like-minded people, so it could be a way for new players to break into a top guild.

mach
03-29-2014, 08:41 AM
It would be temporary - the person would be free to leave whenever they want.

My friend did suggest a less intrusive solution, but it would be more open for people to insult or otherwise abuse new players (it would require moderation) and that is a dedicated chat channel for new player help, or maybe just general troubleshooting.

I wouldn't see it as a problem usually, but Hex is going to have a fairly steep learning curve in places (hopefully the tutorial will deal with this) and people seeking assistance should be offered it.

The other benefit is that experienced guild leaders could use the guild/chat to help people who are simply new and looking for like-minded people, so it could be a way for new players to break into a top guild.

Finding ways to offer new players assistance is a good thing, but I don't think a guild is a good way to do it. Take the aspects you want from the guild system and leave the ones you don't.

Oh, and I very much doubt that top guilds will want to try to recruit new players (unless they're trying to exploit them). Top guilds tend to want players who win and new players tend not to win much.

Xenavire
03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Finding ways to offer new players assistance is a good thing, but I don't think a guild is a good way to do it. Take the aspects you want from the guild system and leave the ones you don't.

Oh, and I very much doubt that top guilds will want to try to recruit new players (unless they're trying to exploit them). Top guilds tend to want players who win and new players tend not to win much.

New players aren't only 'new' though. A new player could have a rich TCG background, and wants to get right into top tier play. But even those people might have issues with the UI etc.

And I have been trying to think of alternatives to guilds, but a guild seems to fit best so far - all the people with the same problems, gathered into the same place. They would get their problem solved quickly, and could leave if they wanted.

That is why I want to get the idea out there and have people pick it apart. The better the idea gets over time, the more useful it will be.

RobHaven
03-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I like it. I think it's a good idea. I've had similar ideas, but this one looks like it might provide a more stable/structured means to the desired end.

Mr.Funsocks
03-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Yes, it's entirely possible that the 100 other things about a new player that scream "I'M A NEWBIE" won't target them for scams, but the guild tag will. Hell, plenty of newbies get scammed into crappy guilds with people trying to steal stuff from newbies. At least this way, they're in with a group that they know are fellow newbies, and you get a nice little chat channel to hang out in. Could have multiple chapters too, to keep it small-ish. Have a little newb-guild-pride for a bit while you meet people and hang out, then you can all move on to another guild in a few weeks.

Aradon
03-30-2014, 03:37 AM
The idea sounds good to me, honestly. I plan on running a guild for new players myself, in fact. Just something to give them access to a chat channel where they are free to ask questions, particularly about rules interactions. Rules are a big deal in TCGs, and you frequently can't trust the general public to give you an accurate answer.

I won't be sanctioned by CZE, of course. As for scams, you'd expect the newbies in said guild to be quickly and thoroughly warned about them, which is better than not being in a guild and having no idea about what to look out for at all, in my opinion.

YourOpponent
03-30-2014, 07:27 PM
I really think a channel such as /newbie would be the best thing for this because a newbie guild tag does make somebody an easy target for scamming. Anyway if there is a default message each time you go to that channel also mentioning that there is also a newbie section in the forums too and check it out...complete with some useful stickies.

Mr.Funsocks
03-31-2014, 08:50 PM
I really think a channel such as /newbie would be the best thing for this because a newbie guild tag does make somebody an easy target for scamming. Anyway if there is a default message each time you go to that channel also mentioning that there is also a newbie section in the forums too and check it out...complete with some useful stickies.

Here's the problem: A channel full of EVERY new player will be rife with spam. Both from spammers, and just from 100s of people trying to talk at once. Basically every MMO has a newbie zone, with its own chat channel, so that spammers can't easily reach the entire population, and so that you can actually read a conversation going on without everything scrolling off the screen.