PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Thing Just Happened Now

Stok3d
03-29-2014, 10:10 PM
I feel like reading a book.

Aside from tasks asked of me while in school, webpages, articles on the internet, IEEE White Pages and materials to perpetuate my career--I have never sat down and read a book. To be more forthcoming, I have never read anything for enjoyment that was fiction. Don't get me wrong, I read a lot every day online but it is usually to learn about something that interests me at that moment in time.

I find it rather peculiar that I want to read a fiction story about Hex and am actually anxiously awaiting it's release. I wonder how Christie Golden (http://www.christiegolden.com/about.htm) is coming along with her Hex masterpiece?

I can't help but admire her bio and think this is one hell of a place to start fiction. This Hex release is getting me a bit Stok3d and I'm grasping for the lore right about now. Anyone else have the itch?

Award-winning and seven-time New York Times bestselling author Christie Golden has written over forty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. Among her many projects are over a dozen Star Trek novels, nearly a dozen for gaming giant Blizzard’s World of Warcraft and StarCraft novels, and three books in the nine-books Star Wars series, Fate of the Jedi, which she co-wrote with authors Aaron Allston and Troy Denning.

Golden launched the TSR Ravenloft line in 1991 with her first novel, the highly successful Vampire of the Mists, which introduced elven vampire Jander Sunstar. To the best of her knowledge, she is the creator of the elven vampire archetype in fantasy fiction. Several original fantasy novels include On Fire’s Wings, In Stone’s Clasp and Under Sea’s Shadow, the first three in her multi-book fantasy series “The Final Dance”. She is delighted to see her first original novels, Instrument of Fate and In Stone’s Clasp, available in an entirely new format as online books nearly fifteen years after their original publication.

Born in Georgia with stints in Michigan, Virginia and Colorado, Golden has returned South for a spell and currently resides in Tennessee.

NOVELS

StarCraft: Flashpoint, November 2012

World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, August 2012

Fable: At the Edge of the World, Del Rey, August 2012

World of Warcraft: Thrall—Twilight of the Aspects, Pocket Books, June 2011

Star Wars, Fate of the Jedi, Book 8: Ascension, Del Rey. August 2011

StarCraft: Devils’ Due, Pocket Books, April 2011)

World of Warcraft: The Shattering—Prelude to Cataclysm, Pocket Books, October 2010

Star Wars, Fate of the Jedi, Book 5: Allies, Del Rey, May 2010

World of Warcraft, Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Pocket Books, April 2009

Star Wars, Fate of the Jedi, Book 2: Omen, Del Rey, June 2009

StarCraft--The Dark Templar Trilogy, Book Three: Twilight Pocket Books, June 2009

Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal, with Aaron Rosenberg, Pocket Books, July 2008

StarCraft—The Dark Templar Trilogy, Book Two: Shadow Hunters, Pocket Books, November 2007

The Final Dance, Book 3: Under Sea’s Shadow, LUNA Books (E-book format) October 2007

StarCraft-The Dark Templar Trilogy, Book One: Firstborn, Pocket Books, May 2007

Warcraft: Rise of the Horde, Pocket Books, December 2006

The Final Dance, Book 2: In Stone’s Clasp, LUNA Books, September 2005

Star Trek Voyager: Spirit Walk Book 2: Enemy of my Enemy, Pocket Books, December 2003

Star Trek Voyager: Spirit Walk, Book 1: Old Wounds, Pocket Books, November 2003

The Final Dance, Book 1: On Fire’s Wings, LUNA Books, July 2003

Star Trek Voyager: The Farther Shore, Pocket Books, July 2003

Star Trek Voyager: Homecoming, Pocket Books, June 2003

Star Trek: The Last Roundup, Pocket Books, July 2002

Star Trek Voyager: No Man's Land, Pocket Books, 2001

Gateways: What Lay Beyond, Pocket Books, 2001

Warcraft: Lord of the Clans, Pocket Books, 2001

Star Trek Voyager: Endgame, with Diane Carey, Pocket Books, 2001

Star Trek Voyager: The Dark Matters Trilogy, Book 3: Shadow of Heaven,

Pocket Books, 2000

Star Trek Voyager: The Dark Matters Trilogy, Book 2: Ghost Dance, Pocket Books, 2000

Star Trek Voyager: The Dark Matters Trilogy, Book 1: Cloak And Dagger Pocket Books, 2000

A.D. 999, Ace Books, December 1999, as Jadrien Bell

Star Trek The Next Generation: The First Virtue, with Michael Jan Friedman, Pocket Books August 1999

Invasion America: On The Run, Roc, November 1998

Star Trek Voyager: Seven of Nine, Pocket Books, September 1998

Invasion America, Roc, February 1998

Star Trek Voyager: Marooned, Pocket Books, December 1997

King's Man & Thief, Ace Books, May 1997

Instrument of Fate, Ace Books, April 1996

Star Trek Voyager: The Murdered Sun, Pocket Books, February 1996

The Enemy Within, TSR's Ravenloft series, March 1994

Dance of the Dead, TSR's Ravenloft series, July 1992

Vampire of the Mists, TSR's Ravenloft series, September 1991

Zomnivore
03-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Depends, I absolutely want to know more, but only if its interesting and makes me want to play the game more. :P

Although, in general I like fiction that tries to be good fiction. So hopefully things aren't too blocky.

Stok3d
03-29-2014, 10:56 PM
I do enjoy Cory's Blog though. I guess that will have to hold me over.

Zomnivore
03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Blocky as in there are certain things that need to be pushed and they get shoehorned into the narrative or twist the narrative haphazardly towards that function.

Gwaer
03-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I still haven't come to terms with this.. Almost a year after you first revealed it and I'm still flabbergasted. You've missed so much...

like every disc world novel.

hex_colin
03-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Follow her on Twitter - she's given a couple of hints about the Hex novel (say, Feb. 25th). She's definitely been working on it.

https://twitter.com/ChristieGolden/status/438455850118549504

Zomnivore
03-30-2014, 05:22 AM
I didn't realize starcraft had so much lore. Who'dathunkit.

Kroan
03-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I've read her Arthas novel, which was very decent. I have read better, but I also read a lot worse. So was quite pleased they picked her for the novel :)

YourOpponent
03-30-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm curious about what kind of a writer she is like and will have to read some of her work later this week. Many people seem to be excited that she was writing it. Personally I was hoping for Terry Goodkind or Jim Butcher.

ossuary
03-31-2014, 05:05 AM
I still haven't come to terms with this.. Almost a year after you first revealed it and I'm still flabbergasted. You've missed so much...

like every disc world novel.

Yeah. Novels are the one medium I could not possibly do without. I would gladly give up the internet forever and never play another video game again before I would even consider for a moment never getting to read a book again. The mind is so much better a tool at filling in all the edges and bringing things to life from a well written novel than crass graphicalization could ever be.

Stok3d, seriously... go read anything by Terry Pratchett. Or The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Or even better, The Black Company, by Glen Cook. You will understand what you've been missing all these years. :)

ursa23
03-31-2014, 06:31 AM
Yeah. Novels are the one medium I could not possibly do without. I would gladly give up the internet forever and never play another video game again before I would even consider for a moment never getting to read a book again. The mind is so much better a tool at filling in all the edges and bringing things to life from a well written novel than crass graphicalization could ever be.

Stok3d, seriously... go read anything by Terry Pratchett. Or The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Or even better, The Black Company, by Glen Cook. You will understand what you've been missing all these years. :)

All these, absolutely. Take a hint from my good friend Levar Burton, "Take a look, it's in a book, a Reading Rainbow."

Stok3d
03-31-2014, 06:27 PM

I thank you for the suggestions. Gwaer gave me some good suggestions with some MtG books in the past. However, I've decided I'm saving myself for Christie Golden and from what I've heard she will be worth the wait...

Xenavire
03-31-2014, 07:04 PM
I thank you for the suggestions. Gwaer gave me some good suggestions with some MtG books in the past. However, I've decided I'm saving myself for Christie Golden and from what I've heard she will be worth the wait...

This suggestion isn't for the faint of heart, but if you ever find yourself with months of 'low pressure', and some free time, read Robert Jordans 'The wheel of time'. It is fairly good, but it is fricking long. Like 10+ books of approx 1000 pages.

Good read overall though.

Zomnivore
04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
This suggestion isn't for the faint of heart, but if you ever find yourself with months of 'low pressure', and some free time, read Robert Jordans 'The wheel of time'. It is fairly good, but it is fricking long. Like 10+ books of approx 1000 pages.

Good read overall though.

I would honestly say don't bother. Its a lot of work for very little pay off in my opinion.

If you really like to read about clothing, and braid tugging have at it though.

meetthefuture
04-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Was going to read the Black Company, but friends have talked me out of it. But his Garrett series was awesome :)

ossuary
04-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Never let anyone talk you out of The Black Company. It's probably the best fantasy series I've ever read. It's got some of the absolute coolest villains of all time.

Interesting factoid: the video game Myth: the Fallen Lords is LOOSELY based on The Black Company.

meetthefuture
04-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Never let anyone talk you out of The Black Company. It's probably the best fantasy series I've ever read. It's got some of the absolute coolest villains of all time.

Interesting factoid: the video game Myth: the Fallen Lords is LOOSELY based on The Black Company.

Okay, will probably get back to it after I finish with all Neil Stephenson's stuff :)

Bloodiron
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I highly recommend anything by Brent Weeks and, of course, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (made even more popular by HBO's series Game of Thrones).

There a bunch of excellent, independent authors on Amazon as well selling their books in eBook form for Kindle or Kindle Apps.

ChristieGolden
04-02-2014, 03:39 PM

*gasps, places hand to heart* I...I'm going to be your first? Oh my...!

Don't worry. I'll be gentle.

Well, except for the battles and chases and fighting and danger and action and stuff. But hey. ;)

Gwaer
04-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Well, except for the battles and chases and fighting and danger and action and stuff. But hey. ;)

Stok3d likes it rough.

ossuary
04-02-2014, 04:36 PM

And, presumably, the murderous, rampaging feudal bunnies.

Stok3d
04-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day and responding to the post ( and email :) ). I honestly feel honored that you would do so.

And yes Christie, I'm anxiously awaiting the action scenes and wherever else your imagination takes us. Don't be gentle on my account. Do what you do best! It's possible that this experience may alter my life forever... *gasp* I could become a fiction reader!!! :)

Aradon
04-02-2014, 05:24 PM
*gasp* I could become a fiction reader!!! :)

Well, you know what they say. Once you go fiction... um. You'll... improve your diction?

Oroniss
04-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Yeah, thanks for taking the time out to come and say hello.

I enjoyed your Ravenloft novels and the Wow ones, so really looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us with Hex.

ChristieGolden
04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day and responding to the post ( and email :) ). I honestly feel honored that you would do so.

And yes Christie, I'm anxiously awaiting the action scenes and wherever else your imagination takes us. Don't be gentle on my account. Do what you do best! It's possible that this experience may alter my life forever... *gasp* I could become a fiction reader!!! :)

Oh well THAT'S no pressure at all. :P

Thanks for the welcome, all! I've enjoyed the world so far, and I really love the characters. Not sure how much I'm allowed to say yet, but I will say that it's been a great deal of fun!

Christie

ossuary
04-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Just say that it will be released on time, and we'll all be happy campers. :)

Daer
04-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Looking forward to the book.

@stok3d I can't even imagine not reading fiction

Gwaer
04-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I will be sorely disappointed if I don't have a cameo.

... I'm often sorely disappointed. =(

Zomnivore
04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Oh well THAT'S no pressure at all. :P

Thanks for the welcome, all! I've enjoyed the world so far, and I really love the characters. Not sure how much I'm allowed to say yet, but I will say that it's been a great deal of fun!

Christie

Ok...now thats too cool. Hi, can't wait to see how you work the ip :)

I've been on a Brandon Sanderson kick lately. E-books and just going wild...e books are so cheap, and always having access to a store that holds w/e book you want is just sooooo appealing compared to having to go to a store, then find out whats in stock and might be good in the moment.

Figgin love e-books.

ursa23
04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Well, you know what they say. Once you go fiction... um. You'll... improve your diction?

Can I not +1 this? Because I want to +1 this. Forever.