PDA

View Full Version : Set #2 and testing...

f5shooter
03-30-2014, 01:05 PM
So I'm assuming Set 2 is probably close to completed. Who exactly does all the testing for those cards? Making sure everything works correctly and the card mechanics are in shape, etc.?

Is it all in-house?

funktion
03-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I've been thinking it would be interesting if they did that type of stuff on a ptr and treated it as a "prerelease" or something.

Kroan
03-30-2014, 02:43 PM
I've been thinking it would be interesting if they did that type of stuff on a ptr and treated it as a "prerelease" or something.

I hope not. It was fun to look into kitchen for Set 1, but tbh I would much rather see the cards be release to the players when they're ready. I always loved the spoiler season of magic and how it felt to play on the prerelease with them the first time and take those cards home to build new decks with them. I would be a bit disappointed if those things would not be achieved with Hex.

mach
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I hope not. It was fun to look into kitchen for Set 1, but tbh I would much rather see the cards be release to the players when they're ready. I always loved the spoiler season of magic and how it felt to play on the prerelease with them the first time and take those cards home to build new decks with them. I would be a bit disappointed if those things would not be achieved with Hex.

Since they've promised not to errata cards after release, the cost of doing it this way is a game that isn't as well balanced. Just look at all the mistakes the Magic developers, who have many years of experience and are the best in the world at what they do, end up making. If they finalize cards before a round of public testing, they're throwing away one of the big advantages of a digital TCG. I'm pretty sure they're smart enough not to do this.

DanTheMeek
03-30-2014, 03:14 PM
It will be interesting to see how CZE handles this, I could see them keeping it all in house going forward (and wouldn't blame them for doing so) but I could also see them, say, giving access to the beta server for people with active VIP subscriptions, adding another perk to the VIP program (not that it necessarily needs anymore) and another incentive to renew VIP status after you've already gotten every card you could want from set 1 making the one dollar weekly pack less attractive.

Roy_G
03-30-2014, 03:15 PM
The testing done in the alpha gave a lot of feedback and changed a lot of cards.It might be a good idea to keep a public testing server for every set being released like what is being done now.

Xenavire
03-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Cory mentioned that they want to explore this idea, a while ago. So it is within the realm of possibility, but isn't a guarantee.

funktion
03-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Since they've promised not to errata cards after release, the cost of doing it this way is a game that isn't as well balanced. Just look at all the mistakes the Magic developers, who have many years of experience and are the best in the world at what they do, end up making. If they finalize cards before a round of public testing, they're throwing away one of the big advantages of a digital TCG. I'm pretty sure they're smart enough not to do this.

I was only suggesting public testing for the sake of bug catching a week or so prior to official release. That said I'm pretty sure they found a huge number of the bugs internally way before most users did but it just didn't seem like that because their engineers had bigger fish to fry. (if you look at the way recent patches have been structured compared to older ones this also seems to be the case)

YourOpponent
03-30-2014, 07:36 PM
The testing done in the alpha gave a lot of feedback and changed a lot of cards.It might be a good idea to keep a public testing server for every set being released like what is being done now.

Personally I have been on both sides of this before. I've done pre-release testing for cards from Warstorm before with it being 2-4 weeks before they went live. And yes some testing does help, but I think Crypto has enough people without counting Kickstarters to test future sets. Sure this means some things could still be overpowered or weaker than they otherwise would of been, but one thing I've noticed is that many serious competitors will do the testing servers to get a leg up on their competition....which takes away from the fun of doing a pre-release tournament and having no clue what cards to draft to make a deck when you're clueless about what the other cards in the set are like.

Bloodiron
03-31-2014, 03:52 PM
What I could really see Crypto doing is taking a semi-random set of players of varying skill and play-style (competitive, casual, PvE, etc) and do like a closed beta, like some online games/systems use. Just send out a bunch of invites and if you want to help out, you get early access to the cards but if you want to be surprised and wait to play with the new cards just decline the invite.

I'm sure by the time Set 2 is released there will be way more players than now, since this game will explode in popularity once it goes into Open Beta.

Kroan
03-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Yes. We've seen literally dozens of bans in the standard format over the last 20 years. Oh wait. Maybe we didn't ;) Seriously, real mistakes are few and far between. I'm pretty sure the designers at CZE are smart enough to design a set with little to no mistakes on their own.