PDA

View Full Version : Translation made and supported by the community

Talionar
03-31-2014, 05:49 AM
Hey guys!

I have suggestion for you. You make amazing games. But
they are only in English! And it complicates some gamers follow the
story line and fully feel the gameplay.

I heard that you are planing to translate HEX in different languages (and russian including), but alpha still only in english, and i think beta would be the same. And there is one important reason to make translations with community help: players involved much more deeper in lore and story essence unlike professional translators, who just transate the words, and don't convey the essence.

I would be glad to work on translation into Russian (card's game text, main site, important news and other), or at least participate in translate checking to make game experience for russian community more amazing!

What you think about that?

Xenavire
03-31-2014, 06:02 AM
Hey guys!

I have suggestion for you. You make amazing games. But
they are only in English! And it complicates some gamers follow the
story line and fully feel the gameplay.

I heard that you are planing to translate HEX in different languages (and russian including), but alpha still only in english, and i think beta would be the same. And there is one important reason to make translations with community help: players involved much more deeper in lore and story essence unlike professional translators, who just transate the words, and don't convey the essence.

I would be glad to work on translation into Russian (card's game text, main site, important news and other), or at least participate in translate checking to make game experience for russian community more amazing!

What you think about that?

For Hex, they already have translators doing some of the localisation, and more will be done by Gameforge. Currently, they only have things in the alpha stages, which is why no other languages are currently available.

However, they may be looking for new translators, so good luck if that is what you are looking to do. :)

meetthefuture
03-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Well, even though I'm russian (check our community in vk when you have time), I don't support the idea to translate the game that requires a huge amount of communication. I mean, if we do the translation - we will have to translate the card names aswell, so people that use non-english versions will have a hard time explaining what exactly card do they mean in discussion.
Also, I 'd say that there's no excuse not to learn english in a modern world. At least at the beginner level (which will be enough to play the game)

hammer
03-31-2014, 07:13 AM
Dig around and you will see they already have all cards and full text translated into several European languages :cool:

Talionar
03-31-2014, 08:09 AM
to meetthefuture: this is mostly important - never translate names. And this is would be made by prof. translators, and this is a huge mistake (translate like in WoW, where they translated NPC names, locations and other). Only that we need to translate it's lore and game text. And because of that stuff I think we need to check translations by community.

ursa23
03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Native speakers should always provide feedback. I'm a native English speaker living in Cambodia, and some of the signs here are fantastically bad.

Xenavire
03-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Native speakers should always provide feedback. I'm a native English speaker living in Cambodia, and some of the signs here are fantastically bad.

Signs? Like store signs, road signs etc? Or signs about the game? A little confused here haha.

ursa23
03-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry, Xen. Store signs, shop signs, what have you. I wasn't keen to pick up any of the offered "raping paper" this Christmas.

Xenavire
03-31-2014, 08:29 PM
Sorry, Xen. Store signs, shop signs, what have you. I wasn't keen to pick up any of the offered "raping paper" this Christmas.

I just have to say, there must be a lot of people who are happy that the paper didn't live up to the label. I mean, yikes.

We should totally have an Engrish funny thread.