PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose your Super Heroes for games?

Do0shebag55
04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Having played this game over 100x since the set came out, I was wondering how other people chose their Super Heroes... We used to randomly choose our Super Heroes from the 16 available but since some Super Heroes are inherently stronger than other, it was never any fun when someone got what we viewed as top tier Supers in Cyborg/Aquaman and the other 2 were stuck with what we at least view as below strength Super Heroes like Booster Gold.

Having said that, my playgroup come up with a more interesting way to choose Super Heroes than leaving it all up to chance, all players roll a d20. Lowest roller chooses X amount of Super Heroes (X being the number of players), and the highest roller gets 1st choice, next highest roller gets next choice, all the way down. Then we would reroll for first (unless Flash was chosen) then everyone else rerolls to go 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Having laid all that out, how do others playgroups of this game choose their Super Heroes? I saw an interesting way laid out in the Neutral Ground tournament where people would bid VP to choose their Super Heroes and start the game in a -VP hole just to get their specific super hero.

AaronH
04-02-2014, 06:18 PM
We shuffle them face down and choose randomly, sometimes out of all 16, but usually just from either the old set or the new set. We don't have any house rules for when someone draws a character they don't particularly like. They just have to deal with it until the next game. I know this has helped me become a more adaptable player.

Zuty
04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Shuffle them all and pick at random or we each pick one, since my group never complains over which super hero to be.

~Zuty

IAmTheGreat
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Deal 2 to each player and they pick the one they want. If they don't want either of the ones they were dealt they can randomly take one of the heroes that wasn't dealt out, but are stuck with whatever hero they get.

dwang85
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
My group just picks one randomly but we do have a rule where you can't play the same hero twice in a row.

Blackbird_13
04-04-2014, 10:24 AM
We deal 3 face down.. pick one.

XavierTroy
04-05-2014, 05:27 AM
deal at least two, now with 16 will probably up it to three.

atheist4thecause
04-08-2014, 12:17 AM
When the game first game out we allowed people to choose the ones they liked so people get one they really wanted. After a few games, everybody chooses at random. If you get the same hero twice you can choose to keep it or change it out for another random Super Hero. We usually only use Super Heroes from one set or another, but sometimes we mix them. We also sometimes do variants with multiple Super Heroes in which case we normally still deal them out randomly (and usually 1 from each set).

As for picking who goes first, we start with the person to the left of the dealer and flip over the cards for the line-up. Whoever gets the highest goes first. In the event of a tie, flip more cards over between those that tied until all ties are broken. If the line-up ends with more than 5 cards, shuffle the last few cards back into the deck so that there are only 5 cards in the line-up.

About picking Super Heroes, I am not a fan of banning certain Super Heroes. The reason is that then those never get played and it limits the game. If a Super Hero is really bad or really good, I prefer to try different strategies to see if I can help/hinder the unbalanced Super Hero, and usually a strategy can be found. For instance, many people hate Batgirl. I absolutely love her, and I feel I have a winning strategy with her. Of course, if no strategy can be found then sometimes banning an unbalanced Super Hero may be necessary, especially in certain variants or certain amounts of players. Right now, I am noticing that Starfire is winning a large percentage of games and that is a Super Hero I am keeping an eye on, but overall, I hate bans.

gallowsnoose
04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
We spread out the cards upside down at random and one person is chosen, they take a hero then everyone else does. Then they take another and everyone does. Then we decide on one to use and discard the rest. After that, we all reveal who we picked so that no one chooses a hero just to beat another player.