PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest moment in Hex

Zer0
04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Alright bros, its time to brag about your greatest moment in Hex! I'm talkin' best play, sickest finish, most damage in a turn, craziest combo pulled off, whatever you want!

I'm making the thread, so i'll kick us off:

OK heres how it went:
I'm playing sapphire/ruby control VS Wild Puck/eye of creation deck

The Field: He has lethal damage on his side in the form of an Enraged Squirrel Titan, a Fist of Briggadon, a Battle Beetle, and Puck. I have Archmage Wrenlocke and 3 Cerebral Fulminations. Yes, you read that correctly.

The situation:Both players have ~13 resources. I've successfully stalled the crap out of my opponent and held him off until now, but I'm about to die for two reasons. First, because of the card draw from the Cerebral Fulminations, I only have 4 cards left in my deck, and also because he's about to steamroll me with his brofist and mega squirrel.

Oh also, he's at around 36 life and I'm at about 8 or so.

But there's a glimmer of hope: In my hand, I have a Ragefire and a Burn, among other cards. I know that two of the last 4 cards in my deck are ragefires!

You can see where this went. I cast my ragefire, drew another ragefire, cast it, and used my other quick actions to draw when i didn't get a ragefire out of my remaining cards. BAM VICTORY FOR ME. I high five death on my way to the winners circle.

What's your best moment so far??

ossuary
04-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I had a hilarious near-mirror match with a CZE employee last week, both running mono-Blood control/denial. Towards the end of the match, he had 3 Zombie Plagues in play and I had 2, but it wasn't doing much since he only had 11 troops in his deck and I only had 12. We were laughing over and over, because our decks were almost completely identical, down to I think 6 or 7 total cards difference overall.

For awhile, we were fighting to see whether I could draw my Inquisition before he did so I could force him to discard his Extinction, so I could cast my Argus before he managed to force me to discard it (the Argus had already been reduced to a 2/2 by ZP before I finally managed to draw it). After about 8 turns, he finally drew his Inquisition, after which he informed me that he had only actually gotten the Extinction I assumed he had all along 1 turn earlier.

The match finally ended when I cast a 3rd Relentless Corruption and grabbed 2 of his from the ~25 cards left in his deck, then drew another from my own deck the next turn. At that point neither of us had any troops left in our decks, and his life total was too high thanks to a few Terrible Transfers for me to be able to finish him off with the one Life Siphon in my deck, but since I was up nearly 30 cards on him and had 6 of the 8 total Relentless Corruptions between us, he conceded the match.

It was an epic back and forth battle, we both had a lot of joking fun with each other, and I loved seeing how the small differences between our decks shifted the dynamic in big ways. It also helped me to see a couple of opportunities to improve the deck even more (and I think I showed him how dangerous Shrine of Prosperity can be in a mirror match, especially late in the game when you can unexpectedly cast a Murder for 0 when you look tapped out!).

Josua
04-03-2014, 12:17 PM
While far from being a great play or anything truly spectacular, I did have a bit of a Yu-Gi-Oh—heart-of-the-cards—moment in draft.

The field: My opponent has two thunderbirds in play. One is pumped/raged to 6/?, and the other is a 3/1. I have one decent player on the field and some lower-end troop, but neither of them can block his birds.

The situation: It's the beginning of my turn. He's at 7 or so life, and I'm at 2. No matter how I try to work it, the most damage I can come up with after he defends will bring him to 4 health. I have a resource in my hand, a troop that could give me the win the turn after next, and a sabotage. As a last ditch effort, I attack and play the sabotage... He's at 4 and I'm at 2. His pumped thunderbird remains—ready to finish me off in his final attack. The "GG's" and "good lucks" are being said. His turn begins. Game over. Victory.

It takes me a second to realize what happened, but, against the odds, he drew a booby trap which caused just enough damage to end the match.

Yu-Gi-Oh himself appears in my bedroom and tells me that I had it in me all along. I just had to believe. He goes all squinty eyed and laughs, and I do the same. All is right with the world. I lose the next match and the draft...

BlindMan
04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I don't have any miracle draw moments yet, but I did get to Time Ripple (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=302) someone's Xentoth's Chosen (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=33) when they had no other troops in play. That was satisfyingly evil.

Zer0
04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
While far from being a great play or anything truly spectacular, I did have a bit of a Yu-Gi-Oh—heart-of-the-cards—moment in draft.

The field: My opponent has two thunderbirds in play. One is pumped/raged to 6/?, and the other is a 3/1. I have one decent player on the field and some lower-end troop, but neither of them can block his birds.

The situation: It's the beginning of my turn. He's at 7 or so life, and I'm at 2. No matter how I try to work it, the most damage I can come up with after he defends will bring him to 4 health. I have a resource in my hand, a troop that could give me the win the turn after next, and a sabotage. As a last ditch effort, I attack and play the sabotage... He's at 4 and I'm at 2. His pumped thunderbird remains—ready to finish me off in his final attack. The "GG's" and "good lucks" are being said. His turn begins. Game over. Victory.

It takes me a second to realize what happened, but, against the odds, he drew a booby trap which caused just enough damage to end the match.

Yu-Gi-Oh himself appears in my bedroom and tells me that I had it in me all along. I just had to believe. He goes all squinty eyed and laughs, and I do the same. All is right with the world. I lose the next match and the draft...

You gotta believe in the heart of the cards young one! Like the time I was playing in a magic tournament and the only card that would save me was Terminus (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262703) and I totally drew it the turn i was about to lose.

Usually I'm forsaken by Yugi, the king of games and left to die in the field drawing shards until its game over man.